Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Would Zane being a woman make people actually like them?

It'd make the LGBT+ community angry because of the history of making gay people villainous. So I'd avoid that.

Female Marsh would be fun, and a good counterpoint to Vin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Kelsier (due to showing up in Stormlight as well as Mistborn)

Why would that matter...?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Also when did Kelsier show up in Stormlight? I missed that one.

e: I'm aware of the Secret HistorySpook/Elantris connection but missed the Stormlight piece I think

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Louisgod posted:

e: I'm aware of the Secret HistorySpook/Elantris connection but missed the Stormlight piece I think

thaidakar

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Also when did Kelsier show up in Stormlight? I missed that one.

Gonna spoiler the URL: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Thaidakar. Don't click unless you've read all of Stormlight

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sab669 posted:

Gonna spoiler the URL: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Thaidakar. Don't click unless you've read all of Stormlight

ahahah wow I somehow missed that connection despite reading all of the cosmere. Where in the books/novellas is that connection made?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

T's referred to as The Lord of Scars by Hoid.

Honestly I didn't even pick up on it until someone else pointed it out to me, but after it was pointed out I was like "Oh yea, of course". Perhaps the most relevant Coppermind section: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Kelsier#Cosmere-wide_Activity

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Louisgod posted:

ahahah wow I somehow missed that connection despite reading all of the cosmere. Where in the books/novellas is that connection made?

only really gets confirmed as such at the end of RoW

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Female Zane would definitely be more popular, though in my opinion the only problem with Zane is that the love triangle drags on for a whole book. Worst part of mistborn right there.

Elend's mom and marsh would be pretty cool swaps to see though, I don't remember there being female steel inquisitors but like, magic so no reason not to.

Edit(didn't notice the next page): I think Zane and Kelsier would be interesting swaps, and at least for the LGBT+ community Zane is like, not the bad guy exactly. Though maybe that's worse. If you swap Kelsier do you swap Mare though?

Brutor Fartknocker fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 20, 2022

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Female Zane would definitely be more popular, though in my opinion the only problem with Zane is that the love triangle drags on for a whole book. Worst part of mistborn right there.

Flipping Zane to be female and also Vin's half-sister or even full sister would be a unique and fun scenario, where Vin's forced to choose between love or family. It'd get rid of the weird love triangle AND still be an impactful choice.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

drat, that would be great. Half sister and hard choices all the way.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

drat, that would be great. Half sister and hard choices all the way.

oh no step sister zane, I'm stuck in the washing machine

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Louisgod posted:

Flipping Zane to be female and also Vin's half-sister or even full sister would be a unique and fun scenario, where Vin's forced to choose between love or family. It'd get rid of the weird love triangle AND still be an impactful choice.

THAT is a re-write I could get behind.

The Zane love triangle is the worst part of its book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shan being elend's sister instead of fiancee, and also a more major villain was one of the ideas brandon was kicking around. Combine her with Zane maybe?

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I hated Elend and was rooting for Zane that whole book, hoping she would choose him and the novel would just go off the rails in a much more interesting direction.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I am very in favor of gender swaps, but I think that Elend's father exists in contrast to an important aspect of Elend's character in the books - that Elend isn't seen as dominating or hypermasculine. Kind of a jock dad, nerd son dynamic. It's not super critical I guess, but it does signal Elend's status as being outside the norms of the nobility.

Plus the part of the dad's plot that resulted in Zane would be a lot tougher for a cis lady.

I mean, gender-swapping any character is going to be vulnerable to Hollywood stereotyping. If Brandon is able to get the kind of leverage over writing that I think he was holding out for, then I think he could pull it off. But yeah, Ham with tits could easily go very wrong. They'd probably leave out the obsession with philosophy too, since a lady who's brawny AND scholarly is just too much for a bunch of nerds.

If they do swap Ham though I hope they go the Buffy route and get some very flimsy-looking gal to do it. And that would make the bits about the character's family even more interesting. I think Clubs would be a great swap, too, a crotchety old lady carpenter with a battle wound and a chip on her shoulder? gently caress yeah.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MartingaleJack posted:

Skyward is my vote. I hope that one gets adapted. I think we need another decade of tech improvements and before a Stormlight book won't look like crap.
I think the tech is there. It'd be expensive, because drat near every shot's going to have CGI elements, but I've seen other properties do magic swords, crazy mech armor, kaiju, and shapeshifting magic spirits before. It's doable. You'd just need someone willing to cut a LotR/GoT-sized check and spend $200 million on a season of television.

Sab669 posted:

T's referred to as The Lord of Scars by Hoid.
Hoid also says that if Thaidakar doesn't get his nose out of Roshar, Hoid may be forced to beat him up again. The list of dudes Hoid has beat up has exactly one name on it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

The list of dudes [snip] has exactly one name on it.

On-camera, right? Or is there text suggesting that it hasn’t even happened historically? I agree with the identity of that one dude, but that is the kind of fake-out I could see Sanderson going for: giving you text you think refers to one character but is actually serving as a plot hook for later revelations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Grundulum posted:

On-camera, right? Or is there text suggesting that it hasn’t even happened historically?
Hoid can't hurt anyone, for reasons we don't know (but may or may not be connected to playing host to a Dawnshard at some point). That's why he says when handing his sword to Jasnah that it's never been used before, ever. When he decks Kelsier in the Well, he notes with pleased amazement that he wasn't sure it was going to work at all, but apparently Kelsier isn't enough of a person any more to count. So we know the list is one name long because he literally can't beat people up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I think the tech is there. It'd be expensive, because drat near every shot's going to have CGI elements, but I've seen other properties do magic swords, crazy mech armor, kaiju, and shapeshifting magic spirits before. It's doable. You'd just need someone willing to cut a LotR/GoT-sized check and spend $200 million on a season of television.

Hoid also says that if Thaidakar doesn't get his nose out of Roshar, Hoid may be forced to beat him up again. The list of dudes Hoid has beat up has exactly one name on it.

One name.. So far! :haw:

Grundulum posted:

On-camera, right? Or is there text suggesting that it hasn’t even happened historically? I agree with the identity of that one dude, but that is the kind of fake-out I could see Sanderson going for: giving you text you think refers to one character but is actually serving as a plot hook for later revelations.

I'd need to look up the specifics but he's more or less said he's bound to be some sort of pacifist IRC, like an oath of nonviolence or something

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grundulum posted:

he's confirmed it a bunch in signings, it's not really a secret and he's just directly telling people yes it's him

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Sab669 posted:

One name.. So far! :haw:

I'd need to look up the specifics but he's more or less said he's bound to be some sort of pacifist IRC, like an oath of nonviolence or something

The preview for secret project 4 book has Sigzil becoming gradually afflicted with a "curse of non violence" due to having held a dawnshard.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Wait, when did that happen in the Stormlight Books?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Paddyo posted:

Wait, when did that happen in the Stormlight Books?

It hasn't yet, but it will presumably happen in SA5.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I assume everyone here has it already, but if not: Sanderson is giving out free copies of Alloy of Law starting tomorrow (ebook only, of course)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBw-3Ow46M

What an answer :homebrew:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Sick. I'm here for it

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
He doesn’t seem like the type that is boastful so the fact that he said it so casually really makes me want to hear the budget numbers they’ve been throwing around

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

B-Money gets what he wants

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Jose Valasquez posted:

B-Money gets what he wants

So this is a funny little quirk from the area Sanderson has been living... There actually is a "B-Money" that all of us have ran into at some point in Utah valley. You can see all of the music videos on youtube looking up 'B-money Provo'. I won't link them because it's too cringe. It would be a safe bet that Sanderson has met this guy multiple times from years ago when he worked at a hotel front desk. The B-money in provo would go door to door trying to sell his rap albums and then frequently go to the businesses there to befriend the employees/sell cds or panhandle.

I for one am excited about the possibility of a Stormlight live action. The experiences with WoT and Amazon will come in handy for Sanderson to adapt his own books. Talking about Southern Utah for some of the scenery makes me think about this video for the shattered plains https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJOpZF_4b-w. Just take the flooding they have there and crank it to 11

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Langolas posted:

So this is a funny little quirk from the area Sanderson has been living... There actually is a "B-Money" that all of us have ran into at some point in Utah valley. You can see all of the music videos on youtube looking up 'B-money Provo'. I won't link them because it's too cringe. It would be a safe bet that Sanderson has met this guy multiple times from years ago when he worked at a hotel front desk. The B-money in provo would go door to door trying to sell his rap albums and then frequently go to the businesses there to befriend the employees/sell cds or panhandle.

I for one am excited about the possibility of a Stormlight live action. The experiences with WoT and Amazon will come in handy for Sanderson to adapt his own books. Talking about Southern Utah for some of the scenery makes me think about this video for the shattered plains https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJOpZF_4b-w. Just take the flooding they have there and crank it to 11

Thanks for the video. A good watch

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Wow that answer is kind of crazy. I mean that budget means GoT/Rings of Power/Wheel of Time level.

I am fascinated to know what company would front this kind of budget. Amazon already has WoT and LotR. HBO has GoT and spinoffs. Netflix? Disney? Apple?

I feel like Netflix already has its big budget fantasy series in Stranger Things, and Disney already has Marvel and Star Wars so Apple makes the most sense. I would be pretty happy if it was Apple as their stuff has been crazy high quality. Apple does make the most sense though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like it's probably Netflix. Child Actors age too fast :v: and I haven't seen the latest season of Stranger Things but how long can they drag it on for. As you said, Amazon has already got a few big IPs under its belt.

HBO... I feel like their shows are usually more "Adult" than what Sanderson brings to the table? Sure they have GoT spinoffs but I have a hard time imagining those doing well after how bad Seasons 5-8 were.

Later in that same Q&A live stream he said he "expects to be on set by this time next year" and that we should hear more "in coming months" but is going to leave it to those partners to announce things

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sab669 posted:

Later in that same Q&A live stream he said he "expects to be on set by this time next year" and that we should hear more "in coming months" but is going to leave it to those partners to announce things

Wasn't that part referring to Mistborn, not Stormlight?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think he specified, but either way I'm just psyched for anything of his hitting a visual medium

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I also wouldn't really describe stranger things as fantasy, there'd be little overlap between it and something from sanderson I feel.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I hope they give his work enough time to breathe a little. Wheel of time struggles with moving way to fast imo and it doesn't look like they're slowing down.

Isn't the next stranger things supposed to be the last season also? So I wouldn't count Netflix out. Although a lot of streaming services are cutting back on budget lately so it'll be interesting to see who is willing to drop this kind of budget.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe its epic, they certainly don't mind throwing around loads of money... and didn't they have that out of nowhere Kelsier cameo in fortnite.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sab669 posted:

I don't think he specified, but either way I'm just psyched for anything of his hitting a visual medium

Yeah it was Mistborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdnKmNM1JAc&t=308s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Maybe its epic, they certainly don't mind throwing around loads of money... and didn't they have that out of nowhere Kelsier cameo in fortnite.

Yes, but that was literally just because Sanderson is friends with some random artist that works on the game, more or less.
I really can't see Epic trying to shoehorn their way into film & TV, but I guess crazier things have happened.

Ah. Yea that was the clip I had watched, but didn't recall that specifically.