Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fruits of the sea posted:

I do wish they had taken convection into account, if only because it's a pretty intuitive mechanic. Although I can see CO2 updrafts being an issue :v:

yeah hot co2 from oil biome would immediately flood your base when you cracked that open lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
That's actually something I kinda miss, having to take some precautions and make preparations to break into a new biome for the first time. Like back when slimelung was totally debilitating, making sure to have an actual air tight lock and decontamination steps while you worked on safely sequestering all infected algae.

Now, it's like ehhh, throw down a few deodorizers if you're worried about it and just carve out the whole biome but it's not a big deal if a few dupes get a little slimey.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I do wish they had taken convection into account, if only because it's a pretty intuitive mechanic. Although I can see CO2 updrafts being an issue :v:

Including the CO2 updraft from your computer as Unity pegs one thread on your CPU and maxes the fan speed trying futilely to cool off

DarthRoblox posted:

That's actually something I kinda miss, having to take some precautions and make preparations to break into a new biome for the first time. Like back when slimelung was totally debilitating, making sure to have an actual air tight lock and decontamination steps while you worked on safely sequestering all infected algae.

Now, it's like ehhh, throw down a few deodorizers if you're worried about it and just carve out the whole biome but it's not a big deal if a few dupes get a little slimey.

just crank up the disease difficulty

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 27, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Slight hiccup with the sulphur geyser plan...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That sulfur is just a bit spicier than usual, it's fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Including the CO2 updraft from your computer as Unity pegs one thread on your CPU and maxes the fan speed trying futilely to cool off

lmao thanks this explains a lot

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think the game would be a nightmare without the gas settling into predictable layers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice if there were something you could build that makes all liquid or gas in a radius share temperature, like a big tempshift plate. Call it a circulator or something.

I know you can build a normal heat exchanger to help with that but it would be nice for use in addition to heat exchangers.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

A loop of some liquid in radiant pipes will do this for you. Also would literally be a circulator. Use bridges to make it go around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, what I mean is it would be nice to have that without taking up one of the heat exchanger layers.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Having a cold biome makes things so much easier. I'm making my first 10 tonnes of steel with the foundry just plumbed into my clean water tank, emptying on the far side of the pump. Water in is ~20 degrees, water out is ~75 degrees, so I just have to add a couple of new ice temp shiftplates to the middle of the tank every few cycles and it's staying lovely and cool!

This is all to get steel so I can tame a volcano to get some decent power going (super sustainable). Going quite well, not sure what happens when the single geyser goes on a break. I hope I have enough spare water around. Pips, dreckos, and mealwood make a nice little self sustaining water-free food system to go with the foraged natural plants.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You can also use the castoff water to melt glaciers if you need more water too. Pretty handy if you want to max available water

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

There is some convection - heat in gas will go up more than it does down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fD6tpJvW7o&t=333s
But it is not going to overcome element density difference

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Hey thanks, this is cool.

Further update - I had forgotten how ridiculous hydrogen build-up can get after converting to electrolyzers. Going to have to automate a shut-off for my geyser at this point.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've taken to installing one smart battery and 3 or 4 jumbo batteries on a hydro setup. Then I run automation from the hydro storage tank to burn a little hydrogen off if it gets full. The dumb batteries are there to suck up the energy so it's not totally wasted.

Keeping the oxygen flowing is trickier. Sometimes I run it to out of base areas so dupes can work without suits. Later in the game all the excess goes to an oxylite refinery and I never want for oxidizer

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah I have an array of gas tanks for overflow but it’s reaching capacity and I’ve been dicking around instead of getting polymers for high pressure storage. Switching to jumbo batteries is a good idea, I was using small ones so I could match the charge to the smart battery. But efficiency isn’t an issue at this point :v:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Just burning the hydrogen even if the power is wasted is also ok, and same with dumping the oxygen into space to keep the hydrogen flowing. You will most likely have plenty of water anyway.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyromancer posted:

I think the big thing really is just that because gas can only move around one block at a time, and it takes all of its heat energy with it (barring whatever it has exchanged with its neighbours), you see temperature spread in gas/liquid environments much more slowly than it does in real life, since real life fluid dynamics means it all just kind of swirls and mixes around. The other big thing is that pressure in ONI is purely a factor of mass, so higher temperature gases/liquids won't spread out more, the way they would in real life.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the big thing really is just that because gas can only move around one block at a time, and it takes all of its heat energy with it (barring whatever it has exchanged with its neighbours), you see temperature spread in gas/liquid environments much more slowly than it does in real life, since real life fluid dynamics means it all just kind of swirls and mixes around. The other big thing is that pressure in ONI is purely a factor of mass, so higher temperature gases/liquids won't spread out more, the way they would in real life.

There's special logic to make neighboring liquid tiles exchange heat extremely fast, like 625 times faster than two neighboring solid tiles. This I guess is to simulate the fluid mixing in real life, and to compensate for relatively poor TC of liquids otherwise. But for some reason gas-to-gas does not do this, so you don't get the mixing effect there. It does mean that tiles of higher TC liquids can conduct heat much faster than high TC metal tiles, depending on your application. Like a row of aluminum tiles is using the 205 TC, but a row of supercoolant liquid is using 9.46 TC * 625 = 5912 TC effective.

Neighboring solids and gasses exchange 25x faster than two solids too, not sure why exactly? But a solid and liquid touching are the same as two solids... it is a mystery.

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Thermal_Conductivity

Koshne
Apr 22, 2008
From Klei:

Hey friends,

We have some big news…

…we’ve decided to release ongoing updates instead of a DLC2!

Ever since the Spaced Out! DLC launched in December, we’ve been exploring ideas for the next chapter of Oxygen Not Included. Those conversations started out as discussions about DLC2, but as we kept digging, we realized that a distant DLC2 release just wasn’t the right fit for our long-term goals.

We want ONI to feel like a true universe: infinite and ever-expanding!

And most importantly, accessible to our whole community.

While a second DLC would certainly expand the game, it’d limit our design choices. We’d have to decide which features base game players would have access to—and which ones they’d be left out of.

The more DLCs there are, the harder it gets for us to implement bug fixes and balance changes that are viable for everyone across all versions of the game. That sounds about as appealing as an all-mushbar buffet.

We want you all along for the ride! So we’re shifting our focus to building out a lot of the same content and systems you’d expect from a DLC, and releasing them regularly as free game updates that work for both base game and Spaced Out!

No colony left behind.

What’s next?
We’re working on a roadmap to let you know what to expect as we explore this exciting new chapter of ONI—we’ll post that here as soon as it’s ready.

Summary
We’re expanding the ONI universe through ongoing updates rather than a DLC2! These free, regularly scheduled updates will be designed for both the base game and the Spaced Out! DLC. Roadmap coming soon

Our heartfelt thanks, as ever, to this incredible community! We’re overjoyed to be able to share our little corner of the cosmos with you.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I loving love Klei

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't know if it got better eventually, but I feel like this is a direct response to how gnarly Don't Starve got as it went on. Depending on which expansions you had, and whether you were playing solo or Together, the same thing could be completely different. It must have been a nightmare to roll out any changes, making sure it made sense for every permutation of DLC.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I think the main things I'd want are just expansions to the late game anyway, rather than more systems or complexity in the midgame, which is mainly what spaced out did.

a) More purpose to some of the late game tech stuff. Insulation is pretty worthless, as ceramic & vacuum works fine for liquid hydrogen. Thermium, at most you need a little bit for a few aquatuners for a petroleum or sour gas boiler.
b) Basically outside the starter two planets there's little reason to setup shop permanently other than maybe the oil planet simply because one dupe needs to be there to vent the rigs. The tree isn't so useful, a little bit for visco gel locks and you're good. At most on the other planets you'd just setup some volcano tamers and ship stuff back with the railguns. Gassy moos are worthless. Can't imagine why you'd setup shop on the regolith planet to collect regolith... are you really going to bother shipping it back somewhere for the purpose of melting it? It's not that hard to generate power.
c) Performace is still the #1 issue past like cycle 1000.

Also they could do some work on the biggest annoyances in the game for me, while I'm venting:
1) vacuuming out areas. The mod that has the low-throughput but wide-area pumps helps with this.
2) Gathering a mix of items in a single container. Like in factorio how you can filter individual slots in a chest. If I want 60 radpills and 120k berry sludge in a rocket to be re-filled automatically I need two fridges. If I also need 5-6 building materials, I need 5-6 lockers. You run out of room. This is annoying in the base itself but not as big a deal as you have space to build multiples.
3) Repetitive poo poo like building water locks. The airlock mod is worth trying out if you're sick of building a thousand of these, but that makes isoresin from the tree even more worthless.
4) Can't prioritize damaged/degrading stuff. Dupes will let stale food rot (again there's a mod for this, thank god), and you have to bank extra atmo suits if you have suit durability on. Which is another thing to bank spares of in a rocket and hence another loving locker to hold them. Or tons of micromanagement. Game needs a setting on compost heaps and suit forges to 'recycle items below % durability remaining' so we can easily flush stale food.

EDIT: I wonder how hard it would be to mod some recipes to swap the graphite and isoresin around... right now the water planet gives you enough graphite for like 2000 tons of supercoolant, which is a wee bit more than you need... and the tree piddles out miniscule amounts of nearly worthless isoresin for enormous effort. Switch them around to make it easy to get insulation and visco gel once you reach the water planet, and the real effort comes from producing supercoolant. You could have just enough to get some liquid oxy & hydrogen going, and make small loops for aquatuners that then transfer the heat from larger pwater loops. But if you want the convenience of just using supercoolant everywhere, gotta feed the tree for real. That seems way better balanced.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 4, 2022

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

I loving love Klei

I want to just send them $15 PayPal once a year if they're not releasing DLCs.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

I might be addicted...

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I think I'm at 3800-ish

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm at like 2100 but clearly that's not enough. Time to fire it up again

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I am very surprised that this shattered CiV's numbers when I feel like I just started playing the other day.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

oh jay posted:

I am very surprised that this shattered CiV's numbers when I feel like I just started playing the other day.

homosexual spotted

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

HolHorsejob posted:

homosexual spotted

Degenerates like you belong on a cross.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

oh jay posted:

Degenerates like you belong on a cross.

eh, can't argue there

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Meh, just over 4k hours (but I leave it on in the background while I work so its probably 2x or more actual time)

Cycle 300ish, 12 dupes, still only 1 water geyser but that's ok. About midway through the first megaproject:

Can you see what it's gonna be?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

A very interesting sour-gas boiler design?

Interesting because of the thermo regulators.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dunno-Lars posted:

A very interesting sour-gas boiler design?

Interesting because of the thermo regulators.

Yes! It's very early (pre space), so using thermo-regulators and hydrogen for the freezing part. It's almost pump-free, the column on the right is a drip heat exchanger for oil down, sour gas up, the turbine at the top maintains 125 degrees at the mid point, and the column on the left is the cooling column, aiming for -170 at the bottom. the liquid methane then gets pumped up and should heat exchange (massively reducing the cooling costs once it is running), and the gas gets dumped in the middle of the column to filter its way up. The gas sorting means the natural gas will head to the top left, so the roof is notched, and there will be a Rodriguez style single gas pump up there with element/pressure sensors to extract the pure gas. Once it has settled in, it should easily do 1kg/s gas for an output of ~8kW + 600g/s clean water, from 1 minor volcano and a single oil well, and could be expanded to do double that.
Hoping to have enough excess heat to bung a small petrol boiler on the bottom to add 1kg/s petrol for rockets to use later.

e: This shows the temperature gradients I'm aiming for.
Heat exchangers designed around the idea of thermally-isolated lumps of aluminium, with various bridges/shift plates used to help exchange with passing gas

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 5, 2022

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Working on my first base, I've just built an electrolyzer and am now trying to distribute the oxygen throughout the base. I built a single pipe all down my central corridor and popped a vent straight on top of it on each floor. I figured the oxygen would vent out the first one until at pressure and then start going past it to fill the others, like with filling multiple gas containers with a straight pipe through. But it just stopped at the first vent and starts backing up.

Why does it behave this way, and what should I do instead? I tried looking this up but everyone just talks about oxygen generation and not about distribution.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Post a picture and we can tell you what went wrong.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Working on my first base, I've just built an electrolyzer and am now trying to distribute the oxygen throughout the base. I built a single pipe all down my central corridor and popped a vent straight on top of it on each floor. I figured the oxygen would vent out the first one until at pressure and then start going past it to fill the others, like with filling multiple gas containers with a straight pipe through. But it just stopped at the first vent and starts backing up.

Why does it behave this way, and what should I do instead? I tried looking this up but everyone just talks about oxygen generation and not about distribution.

In your ventilation network, past your first vent, there is some source (green arrow). Remove that source or use a ventilation bridge, so that no path from source to sink goes against your intended flow direction.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
OK so I may have just not waited long enough. Oops.

That oxygen diffuser is off. No green arrows past the vents below or above.

It seems it wasn't actually backing up, I was just getting constant overpressure warnings and nothing was going past them, but after waiting long enough some started slipping through. Is any oxygen getting destroyed when the vents overpressure?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

dividertabs posted:

In your ventilation network, past your first vent, there is some source (green arrow). Remove that source or use a ventilation bridge, so that no path from source to sink goes against your intended flow direction.

Yeah liquid and gas pipes always have a hidden direction that doesn't change regardless of which side the fluid is on. So pipes are never bi-directional.

The game tries to pick the direction based on the inputs and outputs it sees. The game re-calculates the direction every time you add/remove pipes or attach machines, and depending the setup (usually alternating white-green-white or green-white-green) it will get confused. Sometimes depending on the order you construct and deconstruct things it can get confused even if the layout seems OK. Removing a piece of pipe and putting a bridge even if you don't need it will tell the game that pipe should have a specific direction, which can be necessary sometimes to get things flowing the way you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

sloppy portmanteau posted:

It seems it wasn't actually backing up, I was just getting constant overpressure warnings and nothing was going past them, but after waiting long enough some started slipping through. Is any oxygen getting destroyed when the vents overpressure?
No it doesn’t get destroyed. But as you’ve seen, it can’t pass the vent when the vent is overpressure. Which is going to happen a lot with oxygen distribution.

What I do to just not worry about it is, try to never put the vent in-line with the pipe — create a one-tile pipe offshoot (a T) and connect the vent to that.