Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Someone should publicly ask MTG how kids get herpes, given it's an STI. I guarantee she has no idea why cold sores exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely mindboggling. IIRC as far as we know right now, intercourse is the one thing that isn't a vector.

What exactly does this mean? Is it something very specific about what "intercourse" or "vector" means? The CDC website lists "sex" as one of the ways it spreads. https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

quote:

Monkeypox spreads in different ways. The virus can spread from person-to-person through:

• direct contact with the infectious rash, scabs, or body fluids
    respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, or during intimate physical contact, such as kissing, cuddling, or sex
    • touching items (such as clothing or linens) that previously touched the infectious rash or body fluids
    • pregnant people can spread the virus to their fetus through the placenta

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In the same sense that chickenpox is sexually transmitted I suppose.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

In the same sense that chickenpox is sexually transmitted I suppose.

OK, that's how I understood it. That is, it's disingenuous to call Monkey Pox an STI in the same way it would be for rhinovirus.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
By that standard I guess covid is a gay STI

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
They've also added "trans women who have sex with MSM" in the risk categories I'm seeing in a lot of places, which seems like an unnecessary qualification. I would assume that women, all women, who have sex with MSM, are at equal risk since it's shared by close contact, not the specific mechanics of the sexual encounter. So that's just a delightful dingleberry on top of this poo poo sundae.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To add a bit context for folks who might be casually reading this conversation. Proud Boys have literally been storming children's read outlouds with Drag Queens, brandishing guns, and getting no consequences from the police. poo poo's bad right now in terms of queer people being targeted, especially around education and youth events.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

XboxPants posted:

What exactly does this mean? Is it something very specific about what "intercourse" or "vector" means? The CDC website lists "sex" as one of the ways it spreads. https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/transmission.html

Yeah, if there were a disease you could get by saying "are you sure you've done this before?" that doesn't make it an sti.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

XboxPants posted:

I meant as in specifically being spread through seminal/vaginal fluids or specifically through direct genital contact, which is the case for most "traditional" STIs. Yes, MPX can also be transmitted during sex because you're close to each other for a prolonged time, but that is true of very nearly every single infectious disease ever.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 26, 2022

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Perestroika posted:

I meant as in specifically being spread through seminal/vaginal fluids or specifically through direct genital contact, which is the case for most "traditional" STIs.

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. They could easily be more clear about that.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.
Ok, I just woke up and I already got banned from a stream I enjoy for having this exact discussion:

What the hell is going on with the CDC and what is with them singling out gay people and monkey pox?
All I want to know are where are the actual peer reviewed studies for these claims and why would it matter if LGBTQ people spread it as well? I don't understand. I'm bi and obviously this effects me, but, I don't understand what everyone is getting at. I have seen absolutely no information that says that LBTQ people are more likely to spread monkeypox. I saw one study that said that because LGBTQ people are more likely to have multiple sexual partners then that means LGBTQ people are more likely to spread monkey pox but that isn't inherently because LGBTQ have same sex more often than not and it isn't directly connected to that, but, that's how the CDC is making it seem.

What the hell is going on?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cumdog Millionaire posted:

Ok, I just woke up and I already got banned from a stream I enjoy for having this exact discussion:

What the hell is going on with the CDC and what is with them singling out gay people and monkey pox?
All I want to know are where are the actual peer reviewed studies for these claims and why would it matter if LGBTQ people spread it as well? I don't understand. I'm bi and obviously this effects me, but, I don't understand what everyone is getting at. I have seen absolutely no information that says that LBTQ people are more likely to spread monkeypox. I saw one study that said that because LGBTQ people are more likely to have multiple sexual partners then that means LGBTQ people are more likely to spread monkey pox but that isn't inherently because LGBTQ have same sex more often than not and it isn't directly connected to that, but, that's how the CDC is making it seem.

from what I can tell this false assumption is being made through a self-fulfilling prophecy because gay/bi/pan/etc. men are the only demographic being adequately tested for monkeypox

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

From what I can tell, vaccine supplies are limited, there is an outbreak in the gay community, and so that community is being prioritized for vaccines.

Here's SF's eligibility, since I was curious
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/clinics/monkeypox-vaccines-at-ucsf

quote:

Vaccine supplies are limited and currently available only to high-risk populations, according to the San Francisco Department of Public Health. The following people who live and work in San Francisco are eligible to receive the vaccine:

Gay, bisexual, and other men or trans people who have sex with men, who have had more than one sexual partner in the past 14 days

Sex workers of any sexual orientation or gender identity

People who had close contact in the past 14 days with someone who has suspected or confirmed monkeypox

People who had close contact in the past 14 days with others at a venue, event or social gathering where a suspected or confirmed monkeypox case was identified

Laboratory workers who routinely perform monkeypox virus testing

Care providers who had a high-risk exposure at work, such as handling monkeypox specimens without personal protective equipment

If vaccine supplies are limited, and these are the groups where the outbreak is largely concentrated, then this is the approach that gives the best use of the limited resource.

There does need to be a message that this isn't a "gay disease" but the eligibility listed on this site looks pretty reasonable.

Regarding supplies being limited:

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/considerations-for-monkeypox-vaccination.html

There are two vaccines, one that seems to be lower risk and has limited supply, one that carries a higher risk and is available.

I'm assuming someone looked at the impact of pushing out ACAM2000 now vs. waiting for additional JYNNEOS, but I can't find a good reference. Not too surprising that isn't widely published.

I can see how you could get to "there are plenty of vaccine doses available but the government is stigmatizing the gay community" but it doesn't seem to be nearly that black and white.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

I mean I think there could be overt messeging about this "not being a gay disease " and your average /pol/ dipshit would just write it off as liberal propaganda, or, whatever.
I think the issue is that, from what i have heard, is that there's a lot of problems with the delivery of the message. The message about it needs to be delivered in a way that doesn't single out gay people.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CDC has failed to account for social prejudices in the way they've been messaging on monkey pox. It's a bad case of "saying things that are factually supported but in a way that will be used to further harm a marginalized and oppressed group".

The failure is clear because there are multiple mainstream news outlets including the AP running with it as a "gay STD" when it most definitely is not at all that.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Almost a decade ago I used to do HIV testing and counseling as a side job and the criteria we used for getting someone on PrEP (at the time, different now) was you were MSM who had multiple or anonymous partners and/or unprotected sex, because that's simply the demographic most at risk for sexually contracting HIV.

My point is, the correct public health strategy is to target the highest-risk group with your limited resources. In this case, it's "people who have sex with MSM" and in particular, people that have multiple or anonymous sex partners. I don't see "people who have sex with MSM" being used by gov't sources but it's a better (if slightly clunky) term because it includes women and non-binary people who have sexual contact with MSM.

Messaging has not been very good but it's walking a fine line. You need to communicate directly to the highest-risk groups and get them tested, treated, and vaccinated. But you also need to communicate to the wider public that it's not just circulating among MSM and is transmitted by close contact and fomites (clothes, sheets, etc).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think there are actually two issues at play for me. One is the issue that they're not being clear about the correlation and causation. This point is thoughtless because when you have what amounts to White Supremacist Taliban raiding queer spaces, you need to be more considerate.

But I think there is also just an issue treating MSM communities with broad brushes. I'm just not sure that I believe that is any relevancy to naming people who have sex with men who have sex with men as showing high rate of infections.

A statement like: "While Monkey Pox could not be classified as an STI, close and especially intimate physical contact with someone makes it more likely to spread. Those who have multiple sex partners or who are intimate with people with multiple sex partners should be wary" makes most sense to me. And yeah, proportionally that might represent more MSM, but the relevant parties are aware if they are having sex with multiple partners or at least if their partner MIGHT be having sex with multiple partners.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Yeah, the only reason monkeypox is spreading mostly in the MSM community (I'm using this as a shorthand) is because the original outbreak was from a gay sauna in Spain. It could just as easily have started at a straight swingers' event and be spreading mainly in those social networks.

Your message is a good one for the general public but you also have to communicate directly to the highest-risk communities. That's the hard part, not stigmatizing MSM or having it perceived as a "gay disease" while also doing outreach directly to the highest-risk people. To again use an example from my own experience, we operated a mobile HIV testing van in addition to fixed sites, and the van mostly went to heavily gay neighborhoods and events. Also college campuses and such, but you prioritize using your resources where there's the most risk.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yeah, the only reason monkeypox is spreading mostly in the MSM community (I'm using this as a shorthand) is because the original outbreak was from a gay sauna in Spain. It could just as easily have started at a straight swingers' event and be spreading mainly in those social networks.

Your message is a good one for the general public but you also have to communicate directly to the highest-risk communities. That's the hard part, not stigmatizing MSM or having it perceived as a "gay disease" while also doing outreach directly to the highest-risk people. To again use an example from my own experience, we operated a mobile HIV testing van in addition to fixed sites, and the van mostly went to heavily gay neighborhoods and events. Also college campuses and such, but you prioritize using your resources where there's the most risk.

That's what I am saying. Why the gently caress does it matter that it was a gay community where the out break started first? It doesn't.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

It matters when figuring out where to put limited vaccine resources. That's it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

That's what I am saying. Why the gently caress does it matter that it was a gay community where the out break started first? It doesn't.

Only because monkeypox spreads by close/intimate contact (or by clothing, sheets etc) and the outbreak started in a gay sauna, so it's mostly being transmitted in those social networks. In order to get testing, treatment, and vaccines to the people at most risk, you communicate directly to those people "you might be at risk, if you have these symptoms get tested/treated, if you engage in these risk activities, get vaccinated." That's somewhat different than how you message to the general public where you want to emphasize that it's not inherently a gay disease and no, kids aren't getting it because gay people are pedophiles, it's simply spread through close contact.

As an example, you should absolutely be putting up posters/flyers in gay bars and clubs and setting up testing and vaccine clinics in locations where there are a lot of MSM people, putting advertisements on Grindr, etc. Because that's where most of the spread is right now, that's how you do public health outreach. Again, that's somewhat separate from messaging to the public broadly, which has not been very good.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It matters when figuring out where to put limited vaccine resources. That's it.

That's true, but, the way the media is presenting it is making it single out gay people

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
By making it strongly identified as a "gay STD" it's going to actually hurt treatment because the many, many homophobes and closeted people will refuse treatment or even diagnosis and further infect people by ignoring it.

So this messaging failure will likely contribute to spread.

This is already an issue of closeted/"DL" bisexual men as far as HIV transmission.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I am not a doctor or virologist, but keeping up with virology is a hobby I have had since pre-covid days.

Monkey pox has probably been circulating for a while now being mistaken for random STIs, especially if a clinician has forgone palpating for swollen lymph nodes. If someone presents with a genital rash or pustule and someone isn’t paying close enough attention, they’ll get prescribed an antibiotic if it gets mistaken as bacterial or antivirals and a herpes lecture, and when the rash/pustules go away the clinician and patient assume the diagnosis was correct. This variant also usually presents with only one or two lesions, generally in the genital region as opposed to all over the body, and to my knowledge has killed only 5 people which is unusual given the serious nature of ordinary monkey pox (often about 5%). If anyone wants to learn more about monkey pox, SARS COV-2, or other viruses go to YouTube and listen to This Week in Virology. Here is a monkey pox specific episode from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMiT73ycw-I

Viral DNA has been found in semen, and though it was not confirmed as containing actual virus with a plaque assay there has been at least one case of transmission without direct contact with another individual or their clothes and bedding via semen contacting a patient’s eye.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

Only because monkeypox spreads by close/intimate contact (or by clothing, sheets etc) and the outbreak started in a gay sauna, so it's mostly being transmitted in those social networks.

But it's not just intimate contact in general. I think people are assuming it's specifically anal sex. I don't know if they have specific numbers for monkey pox, but HIV iirc is many times more likely to be spread through anal than through vaginal sex, due to tearing, porous tissues, etc. Again, I don't think we actually have specific data to back up this assumption, but it helps explain why there are outbreaks in gay communities.

If that were true, CDC could stop saying that gay people spread it, and instead just say it's more likely to spread through anal sex, regardless of gender. But

CrazySalamander posted:

Viral DNA has been found in semen, and though it was not confirmed as containing actual virus with a plaque assay there has been at least one case of transmission without direct contact with another individual or their clothes and bedding via semen contacting a patient’s eye.

Since they don't actually KNOW that semen is infectious, they can't really go out and say that anal sex is a big factor. So, they just have to say "MSMSM" without clearly identifying why.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

XboxPants posted:

But it's not just intimate contact in general. I think people are assuming it's specifically anal sex. I don't know if they have specific numbers for monkey pox, but HIV iirc is many times more likely to be spread through anal than through vaginal sex, due to tearing, porous tissues, etc. Again, I don't think we actually have specific data to back up this assumption, but it helps explain why there are outbreaks in gay communities.

If that were true, CDC could stop saying that gay people spread it, and instead just say it's more likely to spread through anal sex, regardless of gender. But

Since they don't actually KNOW that semen is infectious, they can't really go out and say that anal sex is a big factor. So, they just have to say "MSMSM" without clearly identifying why.

While that's true of HIV, I haven't read anywhere that anal sex would be higher risk than vaginal, oral etc. Since monkeypox transmits just through skin-to-skin contact with lesions, it's very very different from HIV. edit: HIV has to enter through a mucous membrane or directly into the bloodstream through a cut/tear/needle, which is very different than simple skin contact.

Here are some statistics: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infect...nal%20outbreak.

quote:

Of more than 500 infections diagnosed, predominantly in men who have sex with men (MSM), 95% presented with a rash, 73% had anogenital lesions, and 41% had mucosal lesions, reported Chloe Orkin, MD, of Queen Mary University of London, and colleagues.

...10% presented with only a single skin lesion in the genital area

The lesions are often painless, commonly found in the underwear region or mouth (pretty sure what they mean by mucosal, they say oral mucosal later on), and there can be as few as one lesion.

The article says that they're probably missing a lot of milder or asymptomatic cases too.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 28, 2022

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I want to clarify that the reason that a plaque assay probably wasn’t done is that it’s way less resource intensive to stick samples in a machine rather than pay a grad student to do plaque assays. PCR has done wonders but nobody wants to spend time and money on plaque assays when journal reviewers don’t even call you out for saying “viral load” in your paper when at no point did you measure viruses, you measured dna or rna fragments with PCR.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, interesting news point is that Britain is closing down it's clinic that serves trans kids and opening up other clinics throughout the country.

This is kind of a weird story. Outside of all the TERF and lovely comedian poo poo out if England, there was a whole issue awhile back in which a de-transitioned person sued the NHS which led to the idea that teens could not consent for HRT which then got overturned. It was a bit of a mess.

Anyhoo, as the article mentions, this is actually mostly seen as a good thing amongst the queer community. But if you do a google search, you'll also see a lot of American sources making it sound like a good thing because the clinic is being shutdown.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Yeah. Decentralizing care is good. More clinics is good. It's still not ideal, but if it means lower wait times and not having to travel as far, it's a step in the right direction.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Timeless Appeal posted:

Anyhoo, as the article mentions, this is actually mostly seen as a good thing amongst the queer community. But if you do a google search, you'll also see a lot of American sources making it sound like a good thing because the clinic is being shutdown.

There's plenty of UK coverage doing the same of course, because our news media is chock full of terfs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All of the current prime ministerial candidates are going balls to the wall on culture war shite though, especially trans people. Would that hell were real and I could have faith they would end up in it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

All of the current prime ministerial candidates are going balls to the wall on culture war shite though, especially trans people. Would that hell were real and I could have faith they would end up in it.

waiting for liz truss to talk about how she has a trans friend that is a proud tory any day now

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Meanwhile stateside, the Florida state government which commissioned its own non-peer-reviewed studies (and took a dozen or so older studies out of context to the dismay of their authors) to go against national-level guidance from the DHS and attack trans kids predictably moved forward to attack trans adults by labeling puberty blockers, HRT, and GRS as 'not medically necessary' and therefore not to be covered under Medicaid.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1558094039114825728

Goes into effect next week, and generally private insurers use what Medicare covers as their guideline for covered treatments, so this is likely to get even uglier.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I've actually had to start weaning myself off hate following TERF brit pundits because I could actually my mental health disintegrating and quality of life lowering.
https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1541340653044506626

I'm sorry sister but yes, you are homophobic if you are uneasy around a progress flag because it is "corrupting" the youth.

I am already sorry for posting.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 15, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is very funny to me to see other people aware of weets.

She is a perennial wanker honestly, got her big break going after corbyn and has since then moved onto various other garbage positions while claiming to have very legitimate concerns and definitely not just a standard right wing oik.

Think she also has a few scams where she gets people to donate her some money in exchange for doing something of immense journalistic import and then never does them. A paragon of the british media class par excellance.

Her overt terfery I think is her newest fixation. Wonder if she will turn it into her entire personality or whether it's just a phase.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 15, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Meanwhile stateside, the Florida state government which commissioned its own non-peer-reviewed studies (and took a dozen or so older studies out of context to the dismay of their authors) to go against national-level guidance from the DHS and attack trans kids predictably moved forward to attack trans adults by labeling puberty blockers, HRT, and GRS as 'not medically necessary' and therefore not to be covered under Medicaid.

https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1558094039114825728

Goes into effect next week, and generally private insurers use what Medicare covers as their guideline for covered treatments, so this is likely to get even uglier.
I feel like scapegoating trans people to attack hormone medication points to a scary backdoor to attacking birth control.

It's also insane how once again trans people are cast as loony flakes detatched from reality as our attackers again and again ignore EVERY piece of research out there besides Lisa Littman's and even her lovely research gets misinterpreted by them.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
They're already threatening and prepping to attack a children's hospital in Boston, all at the behest of Libs of TikTok.

We Tr*nnies are so loving detached from reality that they just GOTTA go full loving J6 on a CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

OwlFancier posted:

It is very funny to me to see other people aware of weets.

She is a perennial wanker honestly, got her big break going after corbyn and has since then moved onto various other garbage positions while claiming to have very legitimate concerns and definitely not just a standard right wing oik.

Think she also has a few scams where she gets people to donate her some money in exchange for doing something of immense journalistic import and then never does them. A paragon of the british media class par excellance.

Her overt terfery I think is her newest fixation. Wonder if she will turn it into her entire personality or whether it's just a phase.

She is my go to brain worm opinion haver. I remember thinking when the corbs is turbo Hitler gravy train ended I did think the next grift for her was TERF.
She has always been a melt but I am genuinely baffled at how fast her turn to bigot went.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pretty consistent among the uk liberals tbf, and I might be tempted to draw a line between their conduct on social issues and economic, which is that they immediately turn extremely conservative whenever it's something that might affect them or, in the case of social stuff, when it suggest that their personally beloved ideas might not be ideal.

And of course Rowling is a perfect encapsulation of that, very stuck in a kind of performative 90's establishment attitude where it's cool to be thought of as progressive but you don't really want to actually do anything or have society change in any way.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lmao had to dbl check the thread when i saw weets

OwlFancier posted:

It's pretty consistent among the uk liberals tbf, and I might be tempted to draw a line between their conduct on social issues and economic, which is that they immediately turn extremely conservative whenever it's something that might affect them or, in the case of social stuff, when it suggest that their personally beloved ideas might not be ideal.

And of course Rowling is a perfect encapsulation of that, very stuck in a kind of performative 90's establishment attitude where it's cool to be thought of as progressive but you don't really want to actually do anything or have society change in any way.

hard true imo