Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone defending smart metres (and ‘smart’ home poo poo) back when that conversation happened fancy saying a few words now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They can remotely switch my taint.

That's the big idea of getting over a million people involved though, you can threaten a huge hole in their liquid finances in advance. They can't remote switch that.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
and they won't be able to use the army to evict you because they'll all be driving the trains

Oct 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

They can remotely switch my taint.

lol, Thanks, I needed that :)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

uuuuuuh https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/27/anyone-for-a-smart-scarf-city-fans-all-set-for-high-tech-matchday-upgrade

this seems just a wee bit dystopian. Why would anyone want that data monitored and collected for themselves?

gambling

you can bet on crowd reaction intensity or some poo poo

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

1965917 posted:

I've seen comments that refusal to pay will simply result in your smart meter being remotely switched to pre-pay.

Lol if you ever allowed them to install the utter abortion that is a 'smart' meter.

You just have to put up with Scottish Power harassing you for meter readings on a monthly basis, because they're poo poo scared that in six months time when you next submit one they're going to end up paying you back £500 for energy you used 3 months ago when the price was lower.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It does make it harder to get people on board though sadly. That said as someone with the resources to weather that storm I’ve signed up. gently caress em.

Had a bit of fun quizzing a copper about his career choices today. Didn’t seem to accept that sweeping streets was a vastly more useful profession. Honestly I don’t know why more (white, relatively privileged) people don’t go rinse them more.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kalensc posted:

How bout dara

Massively smug piece of poo poo lib iirc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WhatEvil posted:

Never. He's doing his job flawlessly.

The Corbyn years demonstrated that those with any actual power within the machinery of the Labour party don't care at all about actually winning power, as long as their neoliberal values are upheld.

Keith's keeping the left out, and that's plenty enough. Doesn't matter if he loses seats, bankrupts the party, he's not upsetting the apple cart.
Yes and you’ll notice that the same people who wanted Corbyn’s head all the time are quiet when it comes to a lot of obvious gently caress ups by Starmer

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

It does make it harder to get people on board though sadly. That said as someone with the resources to weather that storm I’ve signed up. gently caress em.
From the campaign itself:

quote:

Won't they just cut off my gas and electricity?

This is a possibility, but it'll be extremely difficult for energy suppliers to do - especially on a mass scale.

For one, energy supply disconnections for non-payment are already extremely rare - as few as 8 in 2018 were reported. This is because certain rules govern energy suppliers' behaviour in non-payment cases:

• If you haven't paid your bill after 28 days, your supplier may contact you about the possibility of disconnecting your gas or electricity supply. Their first port of call will be try to install a prepayment meter.
  • Before any further action can be taken, though, they must give you a chance to pay your debt through a payment plan.
  • The guidance says that, if you can’t reach an agreement with your supplier on clearing your debt, they can apply to a court for a warrant to enter your home to disconnect you. If you have a smart energy meter then your supplier could be able to disconnect the supply remotely without needing to access it, but they'll first need to have visited your home to do an assessment of your personal situation and the potential impact of disconnection.

We'll only go ahead with the non-payment strike if we have power in numbers. So, if energy suppliers decide to try to disconnect people, they'll be forced to first contact thousands, tens of thousands or even more customers about the possibility of disconnecting supply - but only after 28 days have passed. Then they'll have to give a chance to set up a payment plan before, in most cases, applying to a court for a warrant. It'll cause paralysis and create a months-long backlog.

Nothing about remotely switching to prepayment, only that smart meters mean that they don't have to send someone around with wire cutters after they've done all their paperwork. And if the numbers are right they'll be doing that paperwork on millions of accounts with a large fraction of their regular income missing. The bigger that number, the more likely they are to fold before doing a single prepayment switch form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1IArAW5Dk

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RockyB posted:

Lol if you ever allowed them to install the utter abortion that is a 'smart' meter.

Lol if you get that choice when you move into a new rental.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1552325719895719936

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I asked the guys from Western Power about mine when they replaced my horrifically failing service head/meter board that had about 90 years of 'that'll do' adjustments to it until it no longer did. Apparently it's an older model smart meter that doesn't even have the remote contactor in it, it just says it does because that's a module that could be added. So I guess even if the supplier tried it'd just beep and they'd have to send someone round.

Or more likely in a mass non-payment situation it'd beep and some temp who doesn't want to be there would tick the box and move on.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1552329042027810818

it's ok just wait around a bit until the tax cuts cause an increase in economic growth over upcoming quarters and/or whenever trickle down economics starts working, any day now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Anyone defending smart metres (and ‘smart’ home poo poo) back when that conversation happened fancy saying a few words now?

Sure. Conflating a thermostat (which iirc was the thing being discussed) with the abomination of smart meters is absurd. A Nest can't make you pay more for your electricity. If you look at 2 things that have "smart" in their name, and think "yes these are the same", then lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Keith just sacked Sam Tarry for joining the picket line, the slimy oval office.

Thank you Kieth, for doing your bit to help speed up the destruction of the Labour Party, because the unions seem unwilling to take the initiative despite all evidence suggesting Labour has no interest in working people.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I've seen the NHS reported on like this for the 30 years that I've been paying attention to politics.

I'd say it's a bit late to cry about it now, but nobody's really crying. It's just a carefully curated acceptance.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
the thought crossed my mind that maybe he at least went and spoke with a union or two before getting on camera in front of a picket or maybe the other way round and a union suggested he did it

saw my auntie today, and she predicted some kind of revolt or uprising due to so many people struggling hard for so long with little to no hope of any change, was really weird to hear her talking about things like that

you heard 'er though, a las barricadas

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
What big union should I join? There isn't really one specific to my workplace. Unite? Unison? What's less shite? I want to do my part.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Unison is about as milquetoast as unions go.
They are far too big to do much good for any one group of people, so they proudly announce poo poo pay deals and seem surprised when the response is either apathy or contempt.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

HopperUK posted:

What big union should I join? There isn't really one specific to my workplace. Unite? Unison? What's less shite? I want to do my part.

Unite's general secretary seems like a generally good egg who keeps shutting on Keith even if they haven't disaffiliated yet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would like to join a union but they're expensive and I doubt they could actually help me with anything cos I'm on zero hours and I can just be sacked for doing anything, and there's zero possibility of me unionizing the workplace because we're all remotely managed and I almost never see anyone else.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Is there any real reason the big unions like unite couldn't adopt the same proven strategy the RMT has?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The European Union.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

the thought crossed my mind that maybe he at least went and spoke with a union or two before getting on camera in front of a picket or maybe the other way round and a union suggested he did it

saw my auntie today, and she predicted some kind of revolt or uprising due to so many people struggling hard for so long with little to no hope of any change, was really weird to hear her talking about things like that

you heard 'er though, a las barricadas

Civil unrest when there's an unregulated font of heavy weapons in Europe? Why yes please.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is there some kind of font regulation bureau? Actually I'm sure there is.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hopper and Owly what do you do? Some unions may be more relevant than others.

If there's already one recognised by your employer then that's the obvious pick but it sounds like no.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

....After the last six years of Brexit, Trump and the Boris Johnson PM, you still think "unwritten rules are fine. Everyone knows what they mean and what the are supposed to do and writing things down will just be confusing. These things will never be taken advantage of."

....the US federal government has exactly the codified legal basis you're asking for. They fetishise it even. And the Brexit referendum was also brought about by statute passed by Parliament. This is uh not a very good argument.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

My union is a bag of shite which just proudly accepted a 2% pay deal. and now is taking credit an extra 30 quid in our pay packets due to the NI change.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's interesting that font is one of the few British English words to completely lose to the 'American' style ou/o switch variant.

Like color and flavor never really took off, but you'd be hard pressed to see anyone saying fount after about the 1940s.

e: I bet there's some niche UK newspaper that still has fount in the style guide, but I mean in actual descriptive usage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sure. Conflating a thermostat (which iirc was the thing being discussed) with the abomination of smart meters is absurd. A Nest can't make you pay more for your electricity. If you look at 2 things that have "smart" in their name, and think "yes these are the same", then lol

I think it was to an even earlier conversation involving yours truly.
SSE kept giving me the nag about switching to a smart meter and there was a discussion about it being because of the radio signals being switched off or something. Anyway, I didn't get one in and switched to Octopus who don't nag me just flash a thing up on the screen when I submit readings every week or so saying about how Cindy in Berkhamstead or someone won a whole year of free electric when she got hers put in.

Anyway, what is concerning me is the electric for the communal areas of our block of flats which is with SSE Business Energy. Our fixed rate contract expires on Sunday night and the new contract is 3x so our communal electric is going up from under £300pm to more like £700pm. However, I have not been able to submit readings online for a week now as it keeps saying technical problem. Now :tinfoil: me, IMHO this is that they are hoping I will go away and we will get charged 6 weeks' worth (since the last bill) at the new rate with some bastardization of a pro rata instead of the correct amount.
So anyway, I found I can submit 'as a guest' and that I get an acknowledgement that it is submitted, but there's no way of checking on the account what readings have been submitted. Fortunately I have a trusty spreadsheet. I'm convinced they're hoping people will go away and many 'business' customers will have more than one meter and it will be a pain in the butt to submit as a guest and typing in all the MPAN and account numbers etc manually for each one.

I wanted to switch to Octopus for the communal because not only were they cheaper (without the VAT) but their interface is a heck of a lot more simple, but they were saying we'd have to pay 20% VAT which made them more expensive than SSE because we should only be on 5% as a supply serving a block where all the users are residential domestic and Octopus customer services guy wouldn't have it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

ou/o switch variant.

ooo/ooouuuuu

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Worst boss in Bloodborne, that one.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

Is there any real reason the big unions like unite couldn't adopt the same proven strategy the RMT has?

Most unions branches and members are not as inherently militant as RMT and they either control less important, or potentially, absolutely fundamental to society parts of society and so will provoke a very different reaction from the membership and public for just the occasional day on strike.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

JoylessJester posted:

My union is a bag of shite which just proudly accepted a 2% pay deal. and now is taking credit an extra 30 quid in our pay packets due to the NI change.

Wow who is your lovely union? Our work have us a 2.5% pay rise which is frankly insulting and afaik I might be the only union member in the entire company.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

the Money Saving Expert guy has actually said people should do this

Novara had a segment on it and the name of the campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6q4No0Ltm4
Pod James had a good thread with valid concerns about it, specifically that they seem to have zero protection in terms of a legal defense fund or plans for a class action or anything.

https://twitter.com/anarchonbury/status/1550907722530537473?t=HTugnGSvkWl8KYBDBS9Q9A&s=19

E: Personally I feel like the companies are going ahead because from their perspective they kind of have to. Investors demand continued growth and they are running their companies on a JIT knife edge financially; if they lower prices, their profits come in lower than projected which will scare investors and they'll go bust.

Continue with the prices as is, and there's a chance the government will bail them out, the vast majority of people will pay anyway, and they can blame the dip in profits on unexpected criminal action.

If the choice is between guaranteed destruction when the stock market turns its backs on them, or possibly continuing to exist in some limping form (or possibly even getting away with it and turning a profit), they'll choose the latter.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 27, 2022

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

ooouuuuuh!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Pod James had a good thread with valid concerns about it, specifically that they seem to have zero protection in terms of a legal defense fund or plans for a class action or anything.

https://twitter.com/anarchonbury/status/1550907722530537473?t=HTugnGSvkWl8KYBDBS9Q9A&s=19

Some of their points are legit - it'll only work with strong local organisations to protect individuals and mass numbers to make it a threat but most of their fears are just paranoia. Leaflets can be produced for a few hours work by leftists and printed in the many thousands for sometimes only a few hundred pounds, same with website design and privacy policies - skilled individuals applying their skills to something they support.

The campaigns initial desire for secrecy is stupid but local groups are being launched and there is a strategy proposal for support (assuming they even meet the activation threshold of 1,000,000 people).

They will fall well short of 1 million sign ups but this will also be the nucleus for any neighbourhood defence systems that do appear for the millions of people who can't pay their bills anyway.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

My wife works in a relatively new hospital which is mostly single rooms and a few bays. They've been told that dividers will be put into the single rooms so they can double up patients in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

kecske posted:

ooouuuuuh!

Ok but really what the gently caress is this about!!!!!!