Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

By the way, has anyone tried those anti-vibration feet made with squash balls? I'm considering grabbing a couple, and I'm curious if it's worth it.
I'm building a lack enclosure (slightly enlarged to fit a cr-6 se), and I worry a bit about vibration considering the thing has no issue wobbling the large table it's currently on when it gets into the right mood. (Y-axis gyroid infill is a big wobble-maker.)

If it helps a bit it would be nice, but I'm very much considering if I should just fasten the enclosure to a wall as well, especially if I want the printer on the 'second floor' instead of first. (~110cm off the floor instead of ~55cm off the floor.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You might be able to damp gyroid wobble with a mass dampener

Take a look at the 12x12 and 18x18" concrete pavers in the garden section at Lowe's or Home Depot, they cost about $2.88 and only need one, maybe 2 stacked on top of each other. They each weigh about 15-20lbs

Sticking a TPU spacer between each layer will help substantially

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'd also suggest pavers before the squash ball feet

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Alright, looks like there's nowhere near me that sells pavers specifically, but there are a couple of stores that sell stone tiles for floors and walls.
Looks like if I grab a pack of one of them (And manage to get it back home on my bike.), I should have enough for up-to-3 layers of stone, so... 10-30lbs ish.

I guess I'll give that a fair swing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SubNat posted:

Alright, looks like there's nowhere near me that sells pavers specifically, but there are a couple of stores that sell stone tiles for floors and walls.
Looks like if I grab a pack of one of them (And manage to get it back home on my bike.), I should have enough for up-to-3 layers of stone, so... 10-30lbs ish.

I guess I'll give that a fair swing.

Is there not a home depot or lowes near you?

edit: I'm stupid and didn't see the post above that specifically called out those stores. I'll leave my shame here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You mostly just want to add mass to the printer, anything rigid, heavy, and flat will work. It will make it so the system wants to resonate at a shorter period than it is moving and will reduce sound and vibration. Rubber feet could actually be counterproductive when combined with the increased mass.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 27, 2022

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

mattfl posted:

Is there not a home depot or lowes near you?

edit: I'm stupid and didn't see the post above that specifically called out those stores. I'll leave my shame here.

I live in a suburban area in Norway, and primarily travel by bike so the amount of stores I can get to without it being a huge hassle is kinda limited, there are a couple stores that fit the bill, but I did find one that sells suitable slabs & had them in stock nearby.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies, very useful stuff. I'll slab it up and see how it works.
If it doesn't work out, then atleast the printer will have a nice grey stone slab to sit on.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have experience with FLSun delta printers? I know I should just buy a Prusa but the prices on them have gone up and I don't want to assemble it myself so it would be like $1100 for a MK3S and deltas are cooler.

withak posted:

You mostly just want to add mass to the printer, anything rigid, heavy, and flat will work. It will make it so the system wants to resonate at a shorter period than it is moving and will reduce sound and vibration. Rubber feet could actually be counterproductive when combined with the increased mass.

Thomas Sanlanderer did a test on it recently and found that tpu feet were the most effective, although I'm curious what a sorbothane sheet would do. Downside is that's probably the most expensive option, sorbothane isn't cheap.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have experience with FLSun delta printers? I know I should just buy a Prusa but the prices on them have gone up and I don't want to assemble it myself so it would be like $1100 for a MK3S and deltas are cooler.

I wonder, will Prusa honor the XL preorder price

I have a 5 tool head preorder from .. October 2021? I can't imagine they'll be making much if any profit at $3500 for the 5 tool head model with inflation raging as hard as it is in manufacturing and raw materials these days

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Prusa has historically always honored those prices as far as I've ever heard.

New orders will get dinged by whatever price increase they come up with though.

It'll be in a press release though either way.

"Pre-orders placed prior to (month)(year) will be at original pricing, orders after that will be at (new pricing)"

Something like that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SubNat posted:

By the way, has anyone tried those anti-vibration feet made with squash balls? I'm considering grabbing a couple, and I'm curious if it's worth it.

Yes and they work awesome. I had my printer on a wooden cabinet that acted as an amplifier and now no noise gets transmitted through the feet at all.
I tried TPU first and it was nowhere near as effective.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 27, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I wonder, will Prusa honor the XL preorder price

I have a 5 tool head preorder from .. October 2021? I can't imagine they'll be making much if any profit at $3500 for the 5 tool head model with inflation raging as hard as it is in manufacturing and raw materials these days

I hope so, I've got a friend that ordered one that will probably let me use it occasionally. I offered to buy one of his old mk3s printers when he ends up getting it but he apparently wants both of those and his XL and both his resin printers despite the fat that he has no desire to print for anyone but himself (or friends).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

despite the fat

:hmmyes:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

With last night's test print out of the way, I figured I may as well jump right in and try a more complicated model on the Neptune 3. I already really like this printer.

Adorable Articulated Axolotl by MatMire Makes

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
What do you yall do with spools down to a few meters?

I don't want to waste this, but not sure if just hitting it with a soldering iron, squishing it together, and cleaning it up is even an option? I don't want to pay or make a fancy heater tool for this Yet

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Bondematt posted:

I don't want to waste this, but not sure if just hitting it with a soldering iron, squishing it together, and cleaning it up is even an option? I don't want to pay or make a fancy heater tool for this Yet

swap filaments while printing

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BMan posted:

swap filaments while printing

Run out sensor? I might look into an aliexpress special for that.

I don't have one hence the small amount of extra filament. Not enough for most prints, but I also don't just want to chuck it.

Edit: I could just watch it and pause it when it comes off the spool, but that sounds like a quick way to have 1/4 of a print for someone with ADHD.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
When it's too little to print anything meaningful I save it for cutting filament pins out of later, rather than using a good roll. The greater waste is my time trying to optimally use the last 17 cents of filament when I don't have a small print for it

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like to print disposable funnels in vase mode.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Minis are also nice for using up tiny increments of filament

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Acid Reflux posted:

With last night's test print out of the way, I figured I may as well jump right in and try a more complicated model on the Neptune 3. I already really like this printer.

Adorable Articulated Axolotl by MatMire Makes

Have you had any issues with bed adhesion? The third thing I printed onward just comes right off so I put on my old flat sheet. Even washing and using hairspray didn’t help.

Also did you a adjust or just auto level and go from that?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bondematt posted:

Run out sensor? I might look into an aliexpress special for that.

I don't have one hence the small amount of extra filament. Not enough for most prints, but I also don't just want to chuck it.

Edit: I could just watch it and pause it when it comes off the spool, but that sounds like a quick way to have 1/4 of a print for someone with ADHD.

Runout sensors are totally worth it.

You could start up an openlock dungeon set and print open lock clips with the dregs.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Doctor Zero posted:

Have you had any issues with bed adhesion? The third thing I printed onward just comes right off so I put on my old flat sheet. Even washing and using hairspray didn’t help.

Get your z-offset as low as possible with those PEI beds. It’s always like a tenth of a millimeter lower than you think it has any right to be.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 28, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I have successfully installed my dual z axis upgrade and am now going to tackle converting my v2 to direct drive. Is there a community preferred model for printing? I am scrolling through dozens of them.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I'm noticing an issue with my prints - it seems to be similar to 'elephant foot' but I'm not sure if it's that, exactly? The first few layers are slightly shifted in one axis, like:
code:
|     |
|     |
|     |
 \     \  
  \     \  
   \     \  
(cross section of like, one 'wall', not to scale).

Same direction/axis on all sides - it's the same effect as if i paused at the first few layers and shifted the print left a tiny tiny bit. It's only a few layers (3? I think?) and then it straights out, and it's a difference of <0.5mm, so it's not causing me big issues yet, but want to tune this in.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 28, 2022

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Bondematt posted:

I tried joining rolls and it was a pain. Seems like something you could do with a small 2-piece metal tube mold and a torch.

I print openlock clips with the "finish one then do the next" option that I have forgotten the name of.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Vaporware posted:

I tried joining rolls and it was a pain. Seems like something you could do with a small 2-piece metal tube mold and a torch.

I print openlock clips with the "finish one then do the next" option that I have forgotten the name of.

"One At A Time"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Perfect timing for my middle kid needing a printer for his robotics team. Just happened across this big boy in my Vine queue. This will be my first ABL printer since my old hictop i3, but I'm imagining the landscape is a lot different these days.

My v2 has been generally great, but I've had issues with the 220mm size more than a few times. Not enough to upgrade myself, but when it comes 'free' it's a no brainer.

Creality Ender 3 Max Neo 3D Printer, Official Upgrade Large Size FDM 3D Printers with CR Touch Auto Leveling Bed, Filament Sensor, Z-axis Double Screw, Printing Size 300x300x320 mm https://a.co/d/4sOyAPt

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

bbcisdabomb posted:

"One At A Time"

"complete individual objects" in prusaslicer

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I did have one small piece break free on a job I started late last night, but then realized that I had neither washed the plate before I used it nor taken much care to keep my fingers off it when I removed the previous print. Washed it, ran another ABL routine just to be safe - my final Z offset value seems to be perfect at 0.15 - and then printed another part with a fairly small contact patch with no problems at all.

I agree with Marsupial Ape, the nozzle is set a bit closer to the bed than on my printers that still have glass. It doesn't feel quite right doing it that way compared to what I'm used to, but it's definitely working well, and it's not smashing the first layer into the bed surface like it seems like it should be.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Does anyone have any tips on getting better bridging with PETG on my Prusa Mk3S+? For the most part it prints beautfully but it does seem to have some issues with bridging and sagging. I'm using prusament PETG

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone have any tips on getting better bridging with PETG on my Prusa Mk3S+? For the most part it prints beautfully but it does seem to have some issues with bridging and sagging. I'm using prusament PETG

Print cooler, more fan. If you post a pic we could be more specific.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
For those of you who own Ender 3 V2s that have done the direct drive upgrade, could you share what upgrade frames you used? There are too many choices out there, so I am just going to defer to experience. If you happen to be using one or more Noctua 4020 fans on your hot ends, I’d appreciate some input on that, too.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I got that noctua, two of them actually, for cooling the hotend and the print. I use that fang duct that is available for purchase on cults3d.com, but i don't have the direct link with me. Just search for "fang ender" or something and you'll find it. I think it works great because it accommodates the crtouch and it cools the filament as a mf. Great upgrade over the stock one.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I saw that one. Thanks for letting me know it is worth buying.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Just came across this "Positron V3" design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_QLxTVtyng

Seems gimmicky but the guy's really in-depth showcase is pretty entertaining and impressive. Allegedly has a larger build area than a Voron 0. It prints upside-down! :supaburn: Small printer recs are pretty common so this might be something to keep an eye on. It's only plans though, so you'd need the same broke-brain masochistic streak that you would to build a Voron.

I'm no where close to being in the market for another one, but I think I'd want this as a second printer. The nomadic lifestyle shouldn't be just for computer science folk! :argh:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The wife is outta town this weekend so that finally gives me some time to sit down with my voron and get it back up and running and do some upgrades. Stealthburner with the harkt PCB and filament runout sensor will be getting installed.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

SubNat posted:

I do and I love it. I use yellow dot squash balls secured to a wooden plinth that I place a paver stone on, atop which sits my Ender 3.

I just snagged another printer on eBay and am currently printing more squash ball feet to assemble another plinth for when it arrives.

And shortly thereafter I’ll be printing a third set for an isolation plinth for my turntable.

I love these things.

Edit for pic: https://imgur.com/a/KQPnfgH

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 29, 2022

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Seems gimmicky but the guy's really in-depth showcase is pretty entertaining and impressive. Allegedly has a larger build area than a Voron 0. It prints upside-down! :supaburn: Small printer recs are pretty common so this might be something to keep an eye on. It's only plans though, so you'd need the same broke-brain masochistic streak that you would to build a Voron.

I'm no where close to being in the market for another one, but I think I'd want this as a second printer. The nomadic lifestyle shouldn't be just for computer science folk! :argh:

Honestly for what it is, the positron looks absolutely killer.

Gonna wait till a kit comes out and a few people have used them in the wild but I'll likely make one. Small vast printers are cool as hell

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Cory Parsnipson posted:

This goes way beyond the Voron crew, and deep into the "access to machine tools" type person. I really want one beucase it fits (in theroy) into a filament box. That's acutally portable, while most "portable" printers.. aren't really.

It's a good design. Just.. wouldn't want to get something carbon infused stuck in the heater block.