Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pylons posted:

Speaking for myself I will refuse to watch them because of the Saudi deal so I don't want them to get better.

I’d have said “get rid of the rapists and groomers and poo poo,” but Jay Lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

HHH handled the jump from 1 taped hour to 2 hours live well enough. Not sure why you don’t think he can book 7 hours of live television every week with his brand new heart

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There was a decline in quality when NXT went to 2 hours though.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Dacap posted:

I hope it feels something like the NXT invasion episode of Raw that happened when most of the main roster was stuck in Saudi, that was my favourite episode of main roster WWE TV in recent memory.

cole/bryd main event, right ?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

graph posted:

cole/bryd main event, right ?

Yeah, it turns out it was actually Smackdown on Nov 1, 2019

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/wwe/friday-night-smackdown-nov-1-2019

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

There was a decline in quality when NXT went to 2 hours though.

People say this but the weekly show was not consistently good IMO. The Takeovers were just so good that it made the entire brand shine bright.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the one hour nxts were fine because they had a snappy pace and a good mix of segments, and the actual matches were of reasonable lengths. the moment it went to 2 hours it had the stink of main roster all over it because they didnt know what to do with the time. weird match lengths, interminable promos. it instantly fell into the worst pitfalls of wwe style weekly booking

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Paper Lion posted:

the one hour nxts were fine because they had a snappy pace and a good mix of segments, and the actual matches were of reasonable lengths. the moment it went to 2 hours it had the stink of main roster all over it because they didnt know what to do with the time. weird match lengths, interminable promos. it instantly fell into the worst pitfalls of wwe style weekly booking

The main thing with the 1 hours, even when they weren't great, was that you weren't getting the same people on the show every week. Just by the nature of the taping schedule, there was week-to-week variety.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

edogawa rando posted:

I’d have said “get rid of the rapists and groomers and poo poo,” but Jay Lethal.

I thought we established here that Jay Lethal didn't rape or groom anyone? He did allegedly use his position of power to harass women in hopes of getting them to sleep with him though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

don’t know if we here established anything, we’re not a court of law. We can’t truly know

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The 1 hour NXTs were also ad free which I think is an underrated part of their appeal. The show was always moving

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i don't think 1 hour NXT was bad but i did skip around through a lot of episodes and missed many weeks entirely. the taped nature made it very missable like a certain other taped 1 hour show

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Quantum of Phallus posted:

don’t know if we here established anything, we’re not a court of law.

Maybe you aren't

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Triple H's first order of business: bringing back Bull Dempsey

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TV Zombie posted:

The Gresham stuff may have also helped peoples opinion or at least those wrestlers who like gresham

I don't think Jay Lethal and Moose's opinions have changed much.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i don't think 1 hour NXT was bad but i did skip around through a lot of episodes and missed many weeks entirely. the taped nature made it very missable like a certain other taped 1 hour show

Once you got to the last couple tapings the show would def lose steam, but even if it wasn’t great it was still only an hour and that was perfect.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JUNGLE BOY posted:

People say this but the weekly show was not consistently good IMO. The Takeovers were just so good that it made the entire brand shine bright.

The old weekly shows were generally pretty good leading into a Takeover, then for like 3-4 weeks after a Takeover they were pretty bad and easy to miss. I feel like I lost a lot of steam with NXT when they did what felt like endless Shinsuke/Joe matches, which feels insane to type but it just felt like it dragged on for so long at the time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Takeovers owned when they were basically just indie supercards like you’d see at PWG or PROGRESS before everyone got signed to NXT, and that’s the only thing that was good about them.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Gunther is a weeb

https://twitter.com/ShinsukeN/status/1552376437537120257

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

He is dressed like Vash The Stampede.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hope the new wwe does lots with these cool dudes

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
HBD HHH

https://twitter.com/StephMcMahon/status/1552385392783069185

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Skinhead bearded man and a wild thing lyric

It’s a coded message that Mox is going back to the fed

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

wonder what she got hhh for his big day. haha. just kiddin

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

kdrudy posted:

He is dressed like Vash Gunsh The Stampede.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JUNGLE BOY posted:

It wasn't great exactly but the base level was decent, it was a fun watch where the booking was mostly pretty logical. Not everything hit but that's true of every wrestling promotion ever

It helped that 1 hour is the ideal running time for a weekly wrestling TV show. Was so bummed when Dynamite ended up 2 hours.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

the taped nature made it very missable like a certain other taped 1 hour show

better call Saul :hmmyes:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

forkboy84 posted:

It wasn't great exactly but the base level was decent, it was a fun watch where the booking was mostly pretty logical. Not everything hit but that's true of every wrestling promotion ever

It helped that 1 hour is the ideal running time for a weekly wrestling TV show. Was so bummed when Dynamite ended up 2 hours.

Look at this mark who hasn't the true light: 90 minutes

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Wazzu posted:

Look at this mark who hasn't the true light: 90 minutes

dynamite is about 90 minutes with the commercials cut out, i agree

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No it isn’t

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It must be a mistake

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's about 95 minutes

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
that's the overrun.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Some of y'all MF's never even seen a commercial

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

94 to 95 minutes is a great time for qrestling

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

edogawa rando posted:

You have to remember that in its heyday, NXT under HHH's management was a genuinely great product, which at times was white-hot, and probably the last time anything within the WWE brand could unironically be considered "must see." Hell, even on PPV weekends, even if the WWE-branded show was a bit poo poo, you could still rest assured that the NXT TakeOver event was probably going to be a banger of a show.

You're also free to remember how the quality took a nosedive around the time the show went from 1 hour to 2, and what was an excellent main event feud between Gagano and Ciampa ended up dragged out to the point where it ended up concluding with a wet fart of a match.

I'm more talking about how people are just instantly assuming that the entire AEW roster is about to walk out and go running back to Papa H's welcome arms, especially when those quotes came out from a bunch of anonymous former-WWE people saying they'd have stayed if HHH was in charge at the time.

I think the thing said people aren't accounting for is that doesn't necessarily mean those wrestlers are unhappy in AEW and want to quit as soon as possible.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

better call Saul :hmmyes:

You’re in for an rear end whoopin

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Some of y'all MF's never even seen a commercial

Yeah because they are criminals who watch the show on Fite stealing eyeballs from Ted Turner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AEWonTV/status/1552354402643615745