Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I have a bunch of Ailanthus trees thicketing in my yard and they’re encroaching close to one raised bed. I haven’t cut them because I understand this will make the problem worse.

All the resources I see online say the only way to control/eliminate them is with concentrated glyphosate or triclopyr applied to the bark or through “hack & squirt.” But I’m kind of freaked out of introducing that stuff anywhere near my happy organic yard where bees sing and frogs play old-time baseball.

What do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Neon Noodle posted:

I have a bunch of Ailanthus trees thicketing in my yard and they’re encroaching close to one raised bed. I haven’t cut them because I understand this will make the problem worse.

All the resources I see online say the only way to control/eliminate them is with concentrated glyphosate or triclopyr applied to the bark or through “hack & squirt.” But I’m kind of freaked out of introducing that stuff anywhere near my happy organic yard where bees sing and frogs play old-time baseball.

What do
Hack and squirt is pretty much the most precise, targeted way you can apply an herbicide. It won't kill any bees or flowers or anything-it's only going to kill the trees. There's no runoff or overspray if you're careful, and it ensures that only the target trees are getting the herbicide. I use a spray bottle and put undiluted 41% glyphosate in it and give each wound a squirt or two. At least 1 'hack' per inch of diameter of the tree is the usual rule I think. If you want to really get anal about reducing the possibility of overspray, you can cut the trees down and brush glyphosate on the stumps, but it's very important to apply it ASAP-like within a minute-for best effect. That goes for hack and squirt too technically, but usually you squirt as you hack.

Glyphosate is really very safe-read all the directions on the label, wear all the appropriate PPE. You won't get cancer (from it).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OMG. You just explained to me why my gardenia wasn't thriving. It has that yellowing pattern, so I looked it up. Yup. Acid-loving plant.

You’ve probably solved this one, but there are a number of other problems that can lead to similar symptoms. I treat zinc deficiency in citrus that causes leaves to look quite similar. Manganese deficiency can do it, too.

Deficiencies can also result from things like cold weather, where the soil doesn’t need more nutrients, it just needs to warm up so that chemistry can proceed at a reasonable rate. Potted plants are more susceptible to this.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hack and squirt is pretty much the most precise, targeted way you can apply an herbicide. It won't kill any bees or flowers or anything-it's only going to kill the trees. There's no runoff or overspray if you're careful, and it ensures that only the target trees are getting the herbicide. I use a spray bottle and put undiluted 41% glyphosate in it and give each wound a squirt or two. At least 1 'hack' per inch of diameter of the tree is the usual rule I think. If you want to really get anal about reducing the possibility of overspray, you can cut the trees down and brush glyphosate on the stumps, but it's very important to apply it ASAP-like within a minute-for best effect. That goes for hack and squirt too technically, but usually you squirt as you hack.

Glyphosate is really very safe-read all the directions on the label, wear all the appropriate PPE. You won't get cancer (from it).
Thank you! FWIW I’m not worried about my personal health, just the responsible stewardship of the land and its critters.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

HungryMedusa posted:

I am LIVID right now. Came home from vacation to a bunch of ripening tomatoes in my raised 4x8' garden. They had some yellow leaves, so I went in and trimmed some bottom branches and tied up some other stems that were drooping under the weight of the fruit, or wandering too far from the main plant. Culled some suckers.

Well today I get home and almost all of the ripe fruits are gone! There is a half yellow cherry tomato and a part of my first Early Girl on the ground, so I don't think it was squirrels - they usually bite one and leave it 90% whole.

There is a 3' high fence around the garden, but the holes are fairly big - 4x2 probably? I bought some hardware cloth and am going to try to fortify it, but I am so depressed about this. I have had terrible luck with tomatoes, and this year things were looking up. Now I am sure whatever robbed me is just getting started and will be back. UGH!!!

I had a deer break in while my kid was being born and ate all my Amish pastes and San marzanos... again. My 8' fence has been poo poo at keeping the deer out but it makes an excellent deer prison.

I drove home maybe 6 hours later just to let her out and she kool-aid manned it through one of the sides instead of the gate I opened for her.

Just sungolds for us this year!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

I drove home maybe 6 hours later just to let her out and she kool-aid manned it through one of the sides instead of the gate I opened for her.

I'm sorry for the garden damage but thank you for making me burst out laughing on an otherwise lovely day at work. They really are just profoundly stupid animals. We're already seeing a bunch of babies on our land again which seems a little early but the weather and everything has been inside out for the last few years, who knows.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
With all this talk of yellowing leaves, I'm in a similar boat with my sugar baby watermelon.
I've got a few plants growing in a 5'x3'x2' elevated bed filled with a mix of chicken manure, container soil and plant compost.

The vines were doing great and I've got a few melons in the softball to small bowling ball size range. But in the last couple weeks the leaves went pale yellow, brown spots, many of the vines have withered away completely and the melons stopped growing. The leaves that are left all feel pretty desiccated.

Watering has been by hand and consistent. Was feeding it miracle grow general plant food every couple weeks, had also mixed some Jobe's tomato feed into the soil initially since I had it on hand and the chemistry seemed right. In Texas it's been super hot lately but I thought watermelon was supposed to be pretty tolerant of heat.

I think the plants are pretty much dead at this point so I'm thinking I'll harvest the melons and call it a day. But I'd like to understand what I did wrong for next time as this was a super fun thing to grow.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Nukelear v.2 posted:

With all this talk of yellowing leaves, I'm in a similar boat with my sugar baby watermelon.
I've got a few plants growing in a 5'x3'x2' elevated bed filled with a mix of chicken manure, container soil and plant compost.

The vines were doing great and I've got a few melons in the softball to small bowling ball size range. But in the last couple weeks the leaves went pale yellow, brown spots, many of the vines have withered away completely and the melons stopped growing. The leaves that are left all feel pretty desiccated.

Watering has been by hand and consistent. Was feeding it miracle grow general plant food every couple weeks, had also mixed some Jobe's tomato feed into the soil initially since I had it on hand and the chemistry seemed right. In Texas it's been super hot lately but I thought watermelon was supposed to be pretty tolerant of heat.

I think the plants are pretty much dead at this point so I'm thinking I'll harvest the melons and call it a day. But I'd like to understand what I did wrong for next time as this was a super fun thing to grow.
Sounds like squash vine borers. They can attack melons too. Before the leaves yellowed, were they wilty in the afternoon but perked up in the morning? It's usually best to let chicken manure compost pretty well before you plant in it or fertilize with it-maybe it burned the plants?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neon Noodle posted:

my happy organic yard where bees sing and frogs play old-time baseball.
:discourse:

Platystemon posted:

You’ve probably solved this one, but there are a number of other problems that can lead to similar symptoms. I treat zinc deficiency in citrus that causes leaves to look quite similar.
Oh, my God. I just ordered the best citrus fert I know, and I was meaning to go out and give everybody a fertilization today, and you've upped the urgency.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm going to finally admit that i need some advice. I've tried to grow every melon and squash in the last 3 years and every year I get the babies all to a decent size inside and then i plant them outside and they just... never grow again at all. Like obviously I lose some to crows, to bugs, and to rabbits but the ones that make it just stagnate completely. Like I put a zucchini plant outside with 3 sets of leaves like a month ago and its still the exact saame 3 sets of leaves the same size now. I even amended the soil with some vegetable mix from a bag. I'm planting in pretty loamy soil although over the last 10 years I've been removing ivy from the area so i'm wondering if the ivy just sucked all the loving nutrients out of the ground and if I need to do some sort of cover cropping situation to fix it. Like should I just plant some lentils and rye or something this year to try to fix it? Im not a fan of just buying a poo poo ton of soil because part of my goal in general of gardening is fixing hosed up ecological disastery poo poo myself so I want to fix this. Im in PNW, seattle zone 8. A lot of western red cedars around and pines and firs. Obviously a decent amount of that goes into my compost mix. Also have big leaf maples though too and oak leaves going into there too. I usually leave the big leaf maple leaf litter through the winter on the ground.

I've seen other people with similar soil and tree make up in my neighborhood grow just find so im wondering if its the past ivy infestation. I mean full loving carpet, took me rolling out it in chunks over a period of 2 years to get through it all. Still pulling shoots out.

edit: other things grow ok. Strawberries are thriving. Anything native from the area is kicking rear end. Thimble berries, goose berries, elder berries, hazelnuts, salmon berries, etc. I just can't loving grow melons or squash. I want some loving butter nut squash and zucchinis got drat it.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

We've got these things in the soil in the PNW called symphylans. Little centipede looking things that wreak havoc on the roots of some plants. I've noticed that if I put plants in the soil before they're have a really good head start that some will just stagnate like you described.

Now I haven't had issues with squash but who knows, could be something like that. "Vegetable gardening west of the cascades" talks about them but doesn't have any great fixes besides using sacrificial plants and not going too heavy on organic material in the soil. Just a possibility.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

I'm going to finally admit that i need some advice. I've tried to grow every melon and squash in the last 3 years and every year I get the babies all to a decent size inside and then i plant them outside and they just... never grow again at all. Like obviously I lose some to crows, to bugs, and to rabbits but the ones that make it just stagnate completely. Like I put a zucchini plant outside with 3 sets of leaves like a month ago and its still the exact saame 3 sets of leaves the same size now. I even amended the soil with some vegetable mix from a bag. I'm planting in pretty loamy soil although over the last 10 years I've been removing ivy from the area so i'm wondering if the ivy just sucked all the loving nutrients out of the ground and if I need to do some sort of cover cropping situation to fix it. Like should I just plant some lentils and rye or something this year to try to fix it? Im not a fan of just buying a poo poo ton of soil because part of my goal in general of gardening is fixing hosed up ecological disastery poo poo myself so I want to fix this. Im in PNW, seattle zone 8. A lot of western red cedars around and pines and firs. Obviously a decent amount of that goes into my compost mix. Also have big leaf maples though too and oak leaves going into there too. I usually leave the big leaf maple leaf litter through the winter on the ground.

I've seen other people with similar soil and tree make up in my neighborhood grow just find so im wondering if its the past ivy infestation. I mean full loving carpet, took me rolling out it in chunks over a period of 2 years to get through it all. Still pulling shoots out.

edit: other things grow ok. Strawberries are thriving. Anything native from the area is kicking rear end. Thimble berries, goose berries, elder berries, hazelnuts, salmon berries, etc. I just can't loving grow melons or squash. I want some loving butter nut squash and zucchinis got drat it.

I don't know that it's just you. I had problems with my Oregon II peas this summer. I mix in all sorts of things to fertilize, and the tomatillos next to them are growing happily. My tomatoes aren't happy either, but peppers and eggplant are growing great. I'd add more compost always, but maybe do a soil test and see where its at too. I have spruce needles everywhere, so that's not really it either. The cucumbers are slow this year too, I think they just hated June.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sounds like squash vine borers. They can attack melons too. Before the leaves yellowed, were they wilty in the afternoon but perked up in the morning? It's usually best to let chicken manure compost pretty well before you plant in it or fertilize with it-maybe it burned the plants?

Honestly everything looks wilty right now, the heat is wilting everything but my citrus plants. The watermelon was thriving in the heat at first and I thought the heat was just starting to catch up with the watermelon when I saw it start to wilt but it just keep getting worse.

Some sort of insect does feel right with how quickly the plants all went from overrunning my garden to dying. But I don't see any damage to the stems that google tells me I should see if there are borers in it.

Possible on the manure, but I did build the boxes and filled them in the winter so they got a month or so of sitting around before I planted and they were growing like gang buster for a couple months. No idea how long I need to let that stuff sit for. When I pull all this stuff out and amend the soil for spring I'll avoid chicken and look for something else. Thank you!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sexy tiger boobs posted:

We've got these things in the soil in the PNW called symphylans. Little centipede looking things that wreak havoc on the roots of some plants. I've noticed that if I put plants in the soil before they're have a really good head start that some will just stagnate like you described.

Now I haven't had issues with squash but who knows, could be something like that. "Vegetable gardening west of the cascades" talks about them but doesn't have any great fixes besides using sacrificial plants and not going too heavy on organic material in the soil. Just a possibility.

This is interesting and ill look into it. Even if I just need to use sacrificial plants, if i know the right ones to throw out there im ok with it. And yeah the jacked up weather definitely didnt help. I planted a row of corn straight in the ground like idk - whenever the farmers almanac said and they are just sprouting this week finally.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my blueberry bush produced a single berry this year. it was pretty tart!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My MIL gave my wife a peach tree they had started earlier this year and it was putting out one perfect, pretty, beautiful little peach and ants ate it.

It was like everything I've learned and experienced in years of growing poo poo all in a few months and she hated it. :v:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

There's no acorns in there you gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chad Sexington posted:

There's no acorns in there you gently caress.

Now every other squirrel on the block is like “is that disturbed soil?!” 👀

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Now every other squirrel on the block is like “is that disturbed soil?!” 👀

I already posted about him in the homeowners thread, but this rear end in a top hat already chewed through a pet screen to do this to a beautiful potted Rosella Purple and to eat a bag of peanuts.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I already posted about him in the homeowners thread, but this rear end in a top hat already chewed through a pet screen to do this to a beautiful potted Rosella Purple and to eat a bag of peanuts.

Why is everyone feeding peanuts to animals these days? If a crow doesn’t drop it in my gutter a squirrel buries them one of the gardens. These are scavengers, let them scavenge and stop feeding them near my garden.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My squirrels have started to go after the unripe ears of flint corn I'm growing in the three sisters mound. Jokes on you idiot I was just hoping to enjoy the emerald green in a fall wreath you loving pieces of poo poo. I've killed six now.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

I had a deer break in while my kid was being born and ate all my Amish pastes and San marzanos... again. My 8' fence has been poo poo at keeping the deer out but it makes an excellent deer prison.

That is pretty hilarious. I suppose it could be a deer; we have seen them around but not for a minute.

My mom is having the same problem and we thought it might be a possum. We were sitting in her backyard today and I looked over at the shed and the biggest woodchuck in town popped up from underneath. No idea how we’re going to scare it away; guess no tomatoes for her!

E: LOL at that squirrel, what a jerk!

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 29, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't know if it's the same down there, but his name is probably Phillip. My daughters have decided all gray squirrels are named Phillip.

(I have literally yelled "get out of the garage Phillip")

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:mad:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Does anyone know what type of basil is growing the the forefront of this photo? I’m holding a genovese basil cutting behind it for size reference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Does anyone know what type of basil is growing the the forefront of this photo? I’m holding a genovese basil cutting behind it for size reference.

That looks like "everleaf" thai basil that I've grown before (if the stems are dark/reddish - can't tell from the picture).

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I see that labeled as "globe" or "spicy globe" sometimes.

Edit: a quick search makes it look a lot like Greek basil...

rojay fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 30, 2022

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Chad Sexington posted:

We've had much, much better luck with repellants this year than physical barriers. We don't usually have much deer pressure (and generally not until the end of the season), but for some reason they've decided to really just invade the space this year. They seem to be jumping our 8' fence at this point, but this stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liquid-Fence-32-oz-Concentrate-Deer-and-Rabbit-Repellent-HG-71106-2/205844064

Has actually been keeping them away. Had so-so luck with the RTU spray version, but the concentrate has been working pretty well for a couple of months now. It loving stinks, but I've caught deer wandering maybe 10-15' back from the perimeter where I've sprayed and never coming any closer. The downside is that you have to reapply it a lot. I got lazy for maybe five days and they started wandering up to the fence again.

I don't know. It's not a good solution since they're inevitably going to get used to it eventually, but it's been a decent stopgap until I can figure out a way to make an even bigger fence.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

rojay posted:

I see that labeled as "globe" or "spicy globe" sometimes.

Edit: a quick search makes it look a lot like Greek basil...

Ah it does look like dwarf Greek. Thanks! There were some seeds apparently mixed in with the genovese seeds I bought. Cute little plant.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
A strange plague has overtaken the local groundhog population. They've been dying suddenly, and show no signs of disease. Conversely, the nearby raccoons, possums, and turkey buzzards seem to be very fat and happy; so whatever it is must be selective in nature. My best guess is high airborne concentrations of heavy metals. In other news, my garden seems to exhibit greatly lessened pest pressure.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

silicone thrills posted:

lol one of the seattle posters last year had some lady jumping her fence to steal her figs. Caught her red handed.

so anyway maybe you could just be like uhhhh someone in need stole some of your fruits I guess?

A tomato bandit???

JAIL. Straight to jail.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Anyone used the sun and shade analyzer app? Just bought our first house and hoping it works as well as it claims to for determining sun exposure with trees, fences, and the house itself.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Tomatoes are really starting to produce. Picked 40 lbs and this will be my first attempt at jarring them. Roma, champion, celebrity, brandywine all going in.

20 lbs in a 16 quart pot:

The rest before I cut the stems out:

Everything in the pot after about 4 hours of reduction:

There is still a significant amount of tomato water in the pot. I think I might end up with 8-10 quarts.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Tomatoes are really starting to produce. Picked 40 lbs and this will be my first attempt at jarring them. Roma, champion, celebrity, brandywine all going in.

20 lbs in a 16 quart pot:

The rest before I cut the stems out:

Everything in the pot after about 4 hours of reduction:

There is still a significant amount of tomato water in the pot. I think I might end up with 8-10 quarts.

Ah, so jealous.

Between the repeat deer break-ins and the birth of my daughter I've pretty much given up on my tomatoes this year, so I'll probably wind up BUYING canned tomatoes like a LOSER. I may yet get enough hot peppers for a bunch of bottles of hot sauce at least. Lots of fruit on the plants still, just waiting for it to turn ripe.

Pumpkins also still have a chance where the deer didn't trample the vines completely.

e: Got back today and I'm basically down to hots, an asparagus forest, a 15-foot mammoth sunflower and pumpkin vines EVERYWHERE.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 3, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
20lbs would make a lot of BLTs I think you might be doing it wrong

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
A type of seagrass, halophila dicipiens, that washed up on the kayak this morning. If only I had a salt water aquarium I'd take a crack at growing it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Im going to see if these lychee seeds want to grow

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

i am harry posted:

Im going to see if these lychee seeds want to grow

They do.

Very easy to sprout.

I’ve used the ziplock bag with a moist paper towel method with great success.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my volunteer lambs quarter is now 7 feet tall and in bloom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Free pseudocereals