Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hadlock posted:

$DB is the one who underwrote all of Trump's sketchy real estate deals right

That sounds like a place that knows what they're doing and will make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BRB selling off all my $SOFI, going all in on $DB

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

On the alignment chart of banks DB is pretty solidly in lawful evil (along with basically all the investment banks: Goldman Sachs et al)

Binance chaotic evil

Wells Fargo neutral evil

Your local credit union true neutral.

Whoever is 0 fees, lowest APR on 30yr mortgage: lawful good

DNK fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 22, 2022

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

DNK posted:

On the alignment chart of banks DB is pretty solidly in lawful evil (along with basically all the investment banks: Goldman Sachs et al)

Binance chaotic evil

Wells Fargo neutral evil

I'd put wells in chaotic evil. Opening accounts without consent and racking up fees...

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That's really more of a neutral evil.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DNK posted:

Binance chaotic evil

Wells Fargo neutral evil

here ya go

ally: just here to chill and provide a HYSA, decent loans, and some brokerage stuff if maybe you want it?

citi: boring, woman CEO, warren invested in it, and it actually just had a nice Q2 beat and raise. sometimes fat fingers a trade.

barclays: purveyor of exotic financial ETNs and other random poo poo, basically has no idea what it's doing, but is british so probably has nice tea and service

jpm: big boy on the block, does everything, will gently caress you doing it but in a polite and law-abiding fashion.

bnp paribas: french, will sell dumb structured notes to your financial advisors, will give loans to commodity traders as long as it doesn't cause them headaches, goes out for a smoke a lot.

db: you want us to wrap some exotic poo poo for jim simons to evade taxes? sure. front russian money for trump? sounds exciting. spot a housing crisis and then tell everyone else to bet against mortgage CDS's? that's our bag. what else you got? let's do it.

ccb: world's largest slush fund for anti-capitalist anti-freedom state control of persons and economy. by definition lawful.

wells: we didn't KNOW we were violating the law, can you please remove our capital controls so we can find some new way to gently caress people over?

credit suisse: so bad at hiding their evil that it's all scandals and incompetence all the time. archegos? more like archeGOT

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm

I feel like universal healthcare didn't quite fit the theme. Probably should have been pensions for lawful good, not sure about neutral good

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The Anime Liker posted:

I just want a drat house.

How do I kill God and dethrone him and make normal houses cost 5 figures again?

Move to Mississippi

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Elephanthead posted:

Move to Mississippi

No.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

pmchem posted:

here ya go

ally: just here to chill and provide a HYSA, decent loans, and some brokerage stuff if maybe you want it?

citi: boring, woman CEO, warren invested in it, and it actually just had a nice Q2 beat and raise. sometimes fat fingers a trade.

barclays: purveyor of exotic financial ETNs and other random poo poo, basically has no idea what it's doing, but is british so probably has nice tea and service

jpm: big boy on the block, does everything, will gently caress you doing it but in a polite and law-abiding fashion.

bnp paribas: french, will sell dumb structured notes to your financial advisors, will give loans to commodity traders as long as it doesn't cause them headaches, goes out for a smoke a lot.

db: you want us to wrap some exotic poo poo for jim simons to evade taxes? sure. front russian money for trump? sounds exciting. spot a housing crisis and then tell everyone else to bet against mortgage CDS's? that's our bag. what else you got? let's do it.

ccb: world's largest slush fund for anti-capitalist anti-freedom state control of persons and economy. by definition lawful.

wells: we didn't KNOW we were violating the law, can you please remove our capital controls so we can find some new way to gently caress people over?

credit suisse: so bad at hiding their evil that it's all scandals and incompetence all the time. archegos? more like archeGOT
Nice summary. But basically all the big financial institutions have committed crimes or serious violations over the past 20 years:
https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/industry/financial%20services

Even the angelic Ally Bank has some dirt on it's wings, though no product/mortgage abuses since 2016:
https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/ally-financial

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

nnnotime posted:

Nice summary. But basically all the big financial institutions have committed crimes or serious violations over the past 20 years:
https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/industry/financial%20services

Even the angelic Ally Bank has some dirt on it's wings, though no product/mortgage abuses since 2016:
https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/ally-financial

All it takes is one bad broker or loan officer. The incentives are like honey to flies and it's easy to prey on others greed and desperation.

In the small office I worked, one broker was sending out false statements to clients on corporate stationary.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm

I feel like universal healthcare didn't quite fit the theme. Probably should have been pensions for lawful good, not sure about neutral good
Prescription drugs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_good

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/robinwigg/status/1550888103623139329

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The amyloid beta theory of alzheimers may be an intentional fraud.

https://www.science.org/content/article/potential-fabrication-research-images-threatens-key-theory-alzheimers-disease

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

It's likely that amyloid plaques are a symptom of the neurodegeneration but not the initial cause. Once they reach a critical point they can cause neuroinflammation by themselves.

It's worth noting that human brains are significantly different from animals, especially rodents. I've easily cured experimental autoimmune encephalitis in hundreds of mice - doesn’t translate to humans!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pour one out for Cortexyme and their experimental toothpaste, but in their defense they too thought the amyloid plaque theory was bunk

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is this the guy who went on TV bitching and moaning about how the establishment wouldn't listen to him and he was the one guy with The Truth About Alzheimer's but the establishment was keeping him down to protect and direct research funds for themselves etc etc

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cirus posted:

It's worth noting that human brains are significantly different from animals, especially rodents. I've easily cured experimental autoimmune encephalitis in hundreds of mice - doesn’t translate to humans!

I had seen the movie as a kid but it wasn't until covid I found out the people in the movie were outliers in a much, much larger epidemic

Do you have any opinions or thoughts on Encephalitis lethargica, aka "the sleepy sickness" of the 1920s. Everything on the internet is mostly decades old hearsay at this point

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Summary is overstating the text of the article - one particular and highly influential line of that research may be predicated on fraud (and maybe also SAVA), which is a big deal, but the overall theory is older than that.

In other news, weird poo poo at TSLA
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-21/tesla-tsla-executive-under-scrutiny-in-internal-probe
(https://archive.ph/e9NrS)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 24, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

lurksion posted:

Summary is overstating the text of the article - one particular and highly influential line of that research may be predicated on fraud (and maybe also SAVA), which is a big deal, but the overall theory is older than that.

In other news, weird poo poo at TSLA
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-21/tesla-tsla-executive-under-scrutiny-in-internal-probe
(https://archive.ph/e9NrS)

And the best part is being busted by Bad Photoshop

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I had seen the movie as a kid but it wasn't until covid I found out the people in the movie were outliers in a much, much larger epidemic

Do you have any opinions or thoughts on Encephalitis lethargica, aka "the sleepy sickness" of the 1920s. Everything on the internet is mostly decades old hearsay at this point

Awakenings is based on a true story. It does happen but again likely a variety of different etiologies. Some were probably viral and some were autoimmune. In fact I just had a patient who suddenly went into a coma from viral encephalitis and recovered quickly with steroids. Modern imaging and testing provided a clear diagnosis that wouldn't have been available back then.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Listen, I've got this jank formula set up for looking at options trades. I realize my formula isn't capturing Gamma and Vega well, and that's why the risks aren't immediately apparent, but I wanted to ask the thread what's going to go wrong first opening a trade like this.

I was interested in looking at LEAPS and trying to figure out if they were better or worse than buying a leveraged ETF from the short to intermediate terms. I quickly realized the theta drags you down more than most people seem to think when talking about LEAPS.

With this trade I plan on rolling the short dated, short, option contracts once a month. I'm effectively long IWM in this instance with the added bonus of being long theta(?). I want to know if the gamma risk of 60-90 DTE will cause the short contracts to get out of hand on a rip upwards, or other mysterious ways that this trade will gently caress me that I'm unaware of.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And the best part is being busted by Bad Photoshop

It’s been the ruin of many a poor boy

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Toalpaz posted:

Listen, I've got this jank formula set up for looking at options trades. I realize my formula isn't capturing Gamma and Vega well, and that's why the risks aren't immediately apparent, but I wanted to ask the thread what's going to go wrong first opening a trade like this.

I was interested in looking at LEAPS and trying to figure out if they were better or worse than buying a leveraged ETF from the short to intermediate terms. I quickly realized the theta drags you down more than most people seem to think when talking about LEAPS.

With this trade I plan on rolling the short dated, short, option contracts once a month. I'm effectively long IWM in this instance with the added bonus of being long theta(?). I want to know if the gamma risk of 60-90 DTE will cause the short contracts to get out of hand on a rip upwards, or other mysterious ways that this trade will gently caress me that I'm unaware of.

If we get a big rally, it is going to be relatively expensive to close out that monthly short and open another one, yes. You have the long there to cover it, but your plan hinges on being able to sell almost 3 of those shorts before you have to offset it with the long call. If you don't offset it, eat the loss and open another monthly short, then you need to sell even more to chase the loss.

You're not going to get *hosed* unless you just stubbornly re-up this thing loss after loss, but think about the odds of what's basically a coinflip here (short IWM at 181) working out 3 times in a row.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Should I sell my oil stuff ahead of earnings

Seems like they're gonna post record profits next week, then release guidance of "it'd be cool if that happened again, but probably not soon" and everyone will cash out

Mostly sitting on USO, EPD, PXD

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Seems like they're gonna post record profits next week, then release guidance of "it'd be cool if that happened again, but probably not soon" and everyone will cash out

Dunno. A lot of these still gush cash at $90 WTI, and the SPR releases end in October.

Anything can happen I guess but I own a fair chunk of IXC and plan on holding it a while.

edit: if you're very cynical, consider selling soon and going long after the midterm elections

Agronox fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 25, 2022

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Hadlock posted:

USO is weird because it's more a futures contract than just a standard oil company making big bucks off of oil remaining highly priced.

Currently the USG is dumping a million barrels a day from the SPR into the market to try to control prices. Maybe once the SPR draining is complete (I think October is the current planned cutoff) things will get crazy again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I think USO was a mistake

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Money is healing

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol, spirit ended the merger agreement with Frontier. Rekt

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FTC killed a meta/Facebook acquisition today

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/technology/meta-facebook-vr-ftc.html

( https://archive.ph/2022.07.27-175452/https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/technology/meta-facebook-vr-ftc.html )

Startups aren't publicly traded but I can't imagine a hostile FTC will be good for smaller companies valuations looking to be acquired/merging

r.i.p. my healthcare startup options I exercised about the time teladoc peaked

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wait, the FTC blocking a merger? Where the gently caress have they been the past two decades

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lina Khan (new FTC comish, aka and henceforth "the comish") will probably disappear under mysterious circumstances here in the next 90 days

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
People here still alive? Conspicuous lack of posting these last few months. Has everyone given up? Asking for a friend :angel:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm bagholding $goon and otherwise staying the course in my long-term retirement stuff. I wish I had extra to pile in right now but I've been supporting struggling family with all my spare bux.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have way too much MAXR shares. Launch the drat satellites already!!!!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

here ya go

timely:

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1552176970712190980?s=20&t=AfGm1SiHk4XXZ6IVH71wZA

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Pastrami posted:

People here still alive? Conspicuous lack of posting these last few months. Has everyone given up? Asking for a friend :angel:

Been in this thread close to 17 years now, I will never stop posting :corsair:

But it's been pretty quiet lately. The things I owned a few months ago are largely the same things I still own now. I have a bunch of earnings coming up tomorrow, and one I'm particularly curious about is SOHO coming up on August 11.

Nothing's screaming at me to buy or sell it right now. I could be missing something.

What've you been up to, pastrami?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Margin rates went up from 1.5% to, I think, 4.5% since February, probably for the best, is going to knock a lot of gamblers running around making bets with 200% of their money out of the market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I lurk more these days because my buying is more boring and long-term.