Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is Treasures supposed to be a monsters series title? If so, I am psyched.

I'd like to work on a translation patch for X, since it may not be localized, but preferably with a different set of individuals than the DQ Translations sect due to issues with work ethic and communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BabyRyoga posted:

The original reveal trailer last year made it look sort of like a platformer. Like Erik bounces on a Slime to jump high and then glides with a Drackee to a treasure chest. Inuzuka Taichi is producing though, so the Monsters DNA is there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Treasures almost reminded me of uh, Captain Toad?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TurnipFritter posted:

The original reveal trailer last year made it look sort of like a platformer. Like Erik bounces on a Slime to jump high and then glides with a Drackee to a treasure chest. Inuzuka Taichi is producing though, so the Monsters DNA is there.

Treasures was also originally announced as a Monsters game with the Treasures trailer coverage being "well we changed the game direction" so no idea what it is now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kirbysuperstar posted:

Treasures almost reminded me of uh, Captain Toad?

This would be extremely my poo poo

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

:toot:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=34365

Android patches for DQ4 and DQ8 to add and fix some things, neat stuff!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm away from home for a while and the only game I have is DQ5 mobile. I've also acquired a new phone since I last played it (a few years ago). Thankfully my save files have all transferred over, but I've run into an issue: this phone doesn't have its own built-in home or applist buttons like my previous one, and DQ5 is full screen, so there's no way to access them. Is there some way to toggle between apps without quitting the game back to the main menu? I'd like to consult a scan of the official strategy guide without having to quit the game.

E: I think I figured it out. I can swipe up from the bottom of the screen or down at the top to access those buttons. I am dumb with smartfoan

DQ5 good game. Does the AI ever use equipment that casts spells for free? Only certain characters can use them like that?

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 21, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So from the echoing silence I guess nobody's interested in the DQ11 spinoff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_i3MlZfCAQ

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'll play it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i still would really like to play DQX in English please

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s really weird they just decided to never do that one even after making an offline version they announced after DQ11 did really well worldwide. Like, they localized VII even though they knew it would just barely break even, come on!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

It’s really weird they just decided to never do that one even after making an offline version they announced after DQ11 did really well worldwide. Like, they localized VII even though they knew it would just barely break even, come on!

From what I gathered, the 3DS releases of VII and VIII in the west were actually also part of testing the waters in terms of localizing X.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

That combat sure as hell looks like "DQM but action-based combat" which I am 100% down with.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hard to believe that the fat dude from IV got a trilogy of games to himself.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hard to believe that the fat dude from IV got a trilogy of games to himself.

I can believe it tbh, between his unconventional chapter and his unique dialogue when Appraising equipment (and often absurd if you do something like appraise women’s armaments) you can see why fans and/or Enix would find him endearing/memorable enough for that. Plus he seems like a natural fit for the premise of the games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/FukuTaku10/status/1547147016077053952

dragon

quest

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RareAcumen posted:

DQ social media has been pimping a lot of ads for this lately. Is it Zelda? Is it Pokemon? Is it a rogue-lite? Or gacha? Trying to figure out exactly what kind of game this is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ofecks posted:

DQ social media has been pimping a lot of ads for this lately. Is it Zelda? Is it Pokemon? Is it a rogue-lite? Or gacha? Trying to figure out exactly what kind of game this is.

It's not a gacha, at least.

It's an action-RPG Dragon Quest with some DQ Monsters elements (though I don't think it's a full fledged Monsters game). Structurally I'm not sure if it'll have like a mission structure or be more open-world but it looks like it's mostly about exploring and finding treasure with a story about (probably an alternate version of?) Erik and Mia from DQXI being treasure hunters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What’ll be wild is if that’s actually the Starlight Express at 0:12 in the video and they just… tie dq9 to dq11’s timeline/universe.

DQM but with a more action based gameplay makes me wonder if they’re also using the game to gauge fan reaction while working on dq12 since that’s also going to have a changes to the combat system.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm gonna see what the critics say before purchasing. It'll be up against the new Pokemon game anyway. Then again, I have twins coming at the end of the year lifes set up to bring chaos to my gaming time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm gonna see what the critics say before purchasing. It'll be up against the new Pokemon game anyway. Then again, I have twins coming at the end of the year lifes set up to bring chaos to my gaming time.

Congrats on having your own lil Erik and Mia

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

Congrats on having your own lil Erik and Mia

Erica and Mia would be more accurate.

Edit: those aren't half bad names honestly!

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 28, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Are they doing something with DQ10? I thought that I saw something on a 'Swtich stuff this year' ad a few weeks ago, but I haven't been able to find any information.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dragon Quest X’s supposed to be getting an offline version but for some weird reason there’s no plans to localize it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Last Celebration posted:

Dragon Quest X’s supposed to be getting an offline version but for some weird reason there’s no plans to localize it.

Two reasons I can think of:

1) It's a MASSIVE amount of content. It's literally like 10 years worth of poo poo.

2) If they commit to any kind of localization, they are essentially making a non-committal agreement to also localize more of it further down the line, when more chapters make it to offline. Or just looking at the whole picture of all DQX content including that which isn't in the offline version amplifies number 1.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DQXO is probably not going to be the entirety of DQX but single player, considering the changes they've shown and all

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

I'd like to work on a translation patch for X, since it may not be localized, but preferably with a different set of individuals than the DQ Translations sect due to issues with work ethic and communication.

Treasures is by TOSE and has the Monsters producer, so nearly, yes. But there's talk of a new Monsters game down the line too.

Are the DQ Translations people responsible for those delocalised versions too?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Two reasons I can think of:

1) It's a MASSIVE amount of content. It's literally like 10 years worth of poo poo.

2) If they commit to any kind of localization, they are essentially making a non-committal agreement to also localize more of it further down the line, when more chapters make it to offline. Or just looking at the whole picture of all DQX content including that which isn't in the offline version amplifies number 1.

kirbysuperstar posted:

DQXO is probably not going to be the entirety of DQX but single player, considering the changes they've shown and all

I posted this on the general RPG thread already but in short, DQXO is a trash fire. I was actually a little excited for it because me and my wife rather enjoyed DQX but couldn't justify the monthlies, so it seemed like a good way to play the game at your own pace. Unfortunately though, it's just kinda bad. The nostalgia bait graphical overhaul is really poorly implemented and the whole thing just feels lazy. I wouldn't have minded so much if it weren't for the fact it's a full price title for an inferior version of a 10 year old game.

RillAkBea posted:

If anyone was wondering, Dragon Quest X Offline is a steaming pile of turds.

From the previews I was fine with the art style change in principle but actually playing the game it just doesn't work. All the environment textures have been pixelated to make it look like the classic games except all the objects and characters are high-poly with high-res textures so it just looks like your console didn't load the environment properly yet.

Also, the move to chibi characters wasn't a bad idea by itself but the designs are so basic and unexpressive. There's a lot of physical comedy in DQX that has just been completely lost in the offline version because the characters can no longer emote.

The above point is worsened further by the camera being locked in an isometric view looking down. No zoom, no angle adjustment. It's also like that for any in-engine scripted sequences so any dramatic camera work there was is gone. You're reduced to looking down on the creepy little doll people from orbit and squinting to figure out what the heck is supposed to be happening.

In the rare cases the game uses prerendered cinematics, it just uses the same videos as the online version so goodbye what little immersion was left.

Apparently there is supposed to be extra content exclusive to Offline but if you're only interested in the story, you can play that in the free online trial and not pay the full AAA game price for poorly executed nostalgia bait.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Dai game looks pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDK4rLOhyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLhDPsq75A

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whoa, that looks just fine.

I don't know what I got it mixed up with, the last trailer of this I saw I remember seeing something top-down perspective that looked more like Rune Factory 4 or Dragon Ball Origins' combat!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think there's a Dai phone game too, might have been that?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hope it's the same VAs that the anime uses so that we get more DIO Mystvearn and true king Vearn.

RareAcumen posted:

Whoa, that looks just fine.

I don't know what I got it mixed up with, the last trailer of this I saw I remember seeing something top-down perspective that looked more like Rune Factory 4 or Dragon Ball Origins' combat!

That's the mobile game which also includes your Original Character Do Not Steal.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Meanwhile, gently caress all about the DQ3 remake and/or XI, apparently

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DQ11 came out five years ago mate

Anyway I know you meant 12, but they were very upfront about DQ12 being very early days yet. DQ3HD will prrrooobably be first half of next year? I dunno

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Speaking of 11, though, I've been replaying 11 S and god, I had forgotten how much I loved the Fun-Sized Forge. Making the crafting system into an actual minigame, one that gives you even better equipment if you're good at it, was the best thing they ever did, and I wish more games would take notes.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

I have a question about XI for the Dragon Quest superfans! I have reached the floating castle in the sky thing and feel i may be approaching the end (of the regular game at least). What level should i be? Currently all characters between 50-51. Are any skills/party members essential for the final battle(s)?

I am old so i really don't want to die after a 30 minute battle with an end-game boss haha i ain't got time for that poo poo

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

I have a question about XI for the Dragon Quest superfans! I have reached the floating castle in the sky thing and feel i may be approaching the end (of the regular game at least). What level should i be? Currently all characters between 50-51. Are any skills/party members essential for the final battle(s)?

I am old so i really don't want to die after a 30 minute battle with an end-game boss haha i ain't got time for that poo poo

You're at the Fortress of Fear? If so that is a good level to be at for that spot.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

You don’t have to sweat about that in Dragon Quest. That’s around the point I respec the Hero to 1H Swords because Gigagash is leagues better than its Greatsword equivalent and it’s fun for plot, but you can comfortably use whatever you find cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Awesome, thank you both!