Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Maybe the drone shots are technically amazing but they seem arbitrary and stick out more than they did in Ambulance cause this isn't Bayhem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I've not seen it, but the gist I've heard is that it is pretty mediocre with a generic spy story, a couple really amazing drone shots, and a few neat fight scenes. Probably not worth seeking out, but not the worst choice ever if you have some time to kill.

Would you say the internet consensus is accurate/fair?

Political thriller/espionage is my favorite genre of film. And this movie starred some of my favorite actors and was made by a team that has been rock solid. I had high expectations and it was just... there. I had no investment in the plot whatsoever. And this is a genre where that's crucial. Acting and action can't carry that type of movie if there's nothing of substance there.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

X-O posted:

Political thriller/espionage is my favorite genre of film. And this movie starred some of my favorite actors and was made by a team that has been rock solid. I had high expectations and it was just... there. I had no investment in the plot whatsoever. And this is a genre where that's crucial. Acting and action can't carry that type of movie if there's nothing of substance there.

Yeah. The plot seems to be the biggest complaint. Every review says it is very generic. I'll probably catch it at some point, but even if it is fine, they hype and expectations they set were really high.

Also, I finally saw the grainy cell phone video of the Ant-Man footage and I did not realize that Bill Murray was playing the secondary villain in the movie.

Apparently, it was announced a year ago, but I somehow missed it. That was a very unexpected face to pop up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the big thing with Grey Man to me was the drone shots and different locations. It definitely felt like a lot of “we can do this” instead of “should we do this?” Instead of like one or two really impressive shots it felt like the film through a ton of it at the viewer forcing you to adjust and get used to it. And then it’s no longe especially.

And that feels like a trend. Bay with Ambulance. Snyder with the focus thing in Army of the Dead and probably slow motion too. It feels like a symptom of the no limits excess. Directors feel kind of overzealous with things they like and a lot of the time it feels like it’s overwhelming the final product.

Of course if you click with that thing then you love it. And again, I don’t think it’s inherently a bad thing. If a director wants to risk messing up their film with some weird camera trick they’ve fallen in love with so be it. Maybe people will love it as much as they do. Maybe they’ll hate it. Probably it will be a huge split.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

If it is your favorite genre, what are some of your favorites?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

If it is your favorite genre, what are some of your favorites?

Depends on how heavy you do or don't want the action. Some of my favorites are Body of Lies, Traitor, Three Days of the Condor, Enemy of the State, Parallax View. And then there's stuff with very little action like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (both versions are fantastic), The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Eye of the Needle, The Conversation. And then you have stuff that I'd consider historical thrillers in the same sense like All The President's Men or Hotel Rwanda. Technically you'd probably consider them dramas but I think they fall into the political thriller category. I could literally go on forever naming thrillers and spy movies.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

Depends on how heavy you do or don't want the action. Some of my favorites are Body of Lies, Traitor, Three Days of the Condor, Enemy of the State, Parallax View. And then there's stuff with very little action like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (both versions are fantastic), The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, Eye of the Needle, The Conversation. And then you have stuff that I'd consider historical thrillers in the same sense like All The President's Men or Hotel Rwanda. Technically you'd probably consider them dramas but I think they fall into the political thriller category. I could literally go on forever naming thrillers and spy movies.

Just checking.

you missed klute and pelican brief

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Just checking.

you missed klute and pelican brief

I love Klute, big Pakula fan, but it’s not really a political thriller. It’s more of a regular thriller. Though I can’t say the same for Pelican Brief as I never really cared for it and feel it’s one of the weaker Pakula films I’ve seen. Not a big Grisham fan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a big problem with The Gray Man is that the characters are the absolute thinnest sketches. You get the bare minimum for Ryan Gosling and a little bit for Billy Bob Thornton but the only thing you learn about anyone else is that the bad guys all went to school together.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I think one of the things I really liked enjoyed about the Russos is that they kind of added a physical realism to the action. Like when Cap hit the ground or Winter Soldier was kicking the asses of him and his buddies it looked like it hurt. So I think that helps fuzz over the shaky CGI since it feels less reliant on that stuff. I dunno. I’m not generally a connoisseur of movie fighting or anything but that’s how it always strikes me.

Gray Man just felt like it fell victim to this whole wave of directors over indulging in the no limits streaming age. With Marvel they had lines to color within. poo poo got a little broad without them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_NJ4oT4mk

This poo poo looks terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your a bunch of kids, the fan casting I used to couldn't avoid for Namor was David Boreanaz.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yeah. The plot seems to be the biggest complaint. Every review says it is very generic. I'll probably catch it at some point, but even if it is fine, they hype and expectations they set were really high.

Also, I finally saw the grainy cell phone video of the Ant-Man footage and I did not realize that Bill Murray was playing the secondary villain in the movie.

Apparently, it was announced a year ago, but I somehow missed it. That was a very unexpected face to pop up.
Who is Murray playing? Or is that still unknown? We know that Kang and MODOK are in it but I’m wondering who he would be.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Who is Murray playing? Or is that still unknown? We know that Kang and MODOK are in it but I’m wondering who he would be.

I don't think it's been announced and I can't tell if he is supposed to be someone specific. In the (incredibly grainy and only showing about half the screen because the guy recording it is keeping it at his side so security doesn't take his phone) video of the trailer, it looks like he is part of some society that lives in the Quantum Realm. There's cities and people/things that seem to exist there.

He only says one line: "Janet Van Dyne? I thought you were dead."

So, not much to go off of there.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Murray's character name was Krylar, I think. Dunno if that links to some microverse or quantum realm minor character from decades ago or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

theironjef posted:

Murray's character name was Krylar, I think. Dunno if that links to some microverse or quantum realm minor character from decades ago or not.

Was that confirmed somewhere? I don't think they said it in the trailer.

Krylar is some obscure Hulk character that people were theorizing might be who Murray was playing back when he was cast. I don't think it has been confirmed, though.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Your a bunch of kids, the fan casting I used to couldn't avoid for Namor was David Boreanaz.

Jesus, more like David Snore-eanz playing Na-snore

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I wanted a David Hyde Pierce Namor. Just some snippy wingfooted little poo poo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

theironjef posted:

I wanted a David Hyde Pierce Namor. Just some snippy wingfooted little poo poo.

So basically his Abe Sapian without using Doug Jones as a body?

Actually, that combo as Namor would rock

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
you're forgetting the part where namor is buff and super strong

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
DHP is more give you a withering but impotent look kind of lovely, not yell and punch all your teeth out lovely

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

Fine, I'll do it. I'll play Namor.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

You know who'd be perfect? Jason Momoa!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

And of course this is a boon for studios too since they can just go "Eh, someone make a 30 minute video game cutscene, that's the climax of our film" and that basically removes any need to consider if what you're doing is the most effective way to tell the story. Who cares? Have them fight some random swarms of vaguely insectoid creatures and some big CGI creature. Director wanted to do something else? Too bad, Black Panther vs Black Panther For The N64 is Already Done.

I know Marvel loving over VFX artists is at this point old news but another article recently came out specifically mentioning Black Panther and why that final fight sucked (tl;dr there's no director of photography involved with post-production and frequently a lot of directors Marvel hires don't have as much experience working with VFX)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

site posted:

Obviously I meant David Hyde Pierce's head CGI'd onto Brock Lesnar. I though that didn't even need to be stated.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Opopanax posted:

You know who'd be perfect? Jason Momoa!

You jest but when they announced him as Aquaman I thought "That's gotta be an intentional snipe...."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

“How can we make Aquaman cooler?”
“Make him Namor.”

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

“How can we make Aquaman cooler?”
“Make him Namor.”

This is what they have been doing with Aquaman for decades now!

The best Aquaman will remain forever the BatB Aquaman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/with-next-phases-set-marvel-hones-in-on-directors-1235187070/
There's a little quote in here about the F4 movie from Feige saying that it won't be an origin story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm glad to hear that.

I figure with Secret Wars happening, the FF will be set in another universe and they'll get added to the MCU when Secret Wars happens.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest one thing I think is a genuine downside is that it is so trivially easy to do basically anything thanks to CGI that it becomes sort of the default choice and means anything that might otherwise be unfeasible is totally workable (as long as you don't mind overworking struggling VFX studios). CGI is such a quick and easy answer that you never get to a position of "Well, we can't do that, but what *can* we do and how is it more effective?" I'm not trying to argue for the "the old ways were beeeeest" stuff but more that CGI has reached the point where it is the solution to almost every single problem you can face as a director. (Up to and including "this dude is loving dead." Why bother to recast when you can CGI someone's face onto someone else.)

And of course this is a boon for studios too since they can just go "Eh, someone make a 30 minute video game cutscene, that's the climax of our film" and that basically removes any need to consider if what you're doing is the most effective way to tell the story. Who cares? Have them fight some random swarms of vaguely insectoid creatures and some big CGI creature. Director wanted to do something else? Too bad, Black Panther vs Black Panther For The N64 is Already Done.

Agreed. And why I think unionization will have a bunch of benefits outside of it just being the morally correct thing to do. It will inevitably make CG sequences more time consuming and expensive for the studios which means it won't be sustainable as a "quick fix" or a "crutch". They'll have to be more thoughtful in its application, utilise practical effects and real sets more, and hopefully the sheer scale of the CG shots needed for a production will trend downwards. Maybe it will mean less Marvel films, I dunno. I like a lot of the Marvel stuff fine but I'd rather they make less of them while raising the ceiling of their quality, then making loads but having them all festooned with weightless pre-vizzy final acts.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/with-next-phases-set-marvel-hones-in-on-directors-1235187070/
There's a little quote in here about the F4 movie from Feige saying that it won't be an origin story.

Nice.

With all the incursion and universes colliding talk in the storylines I almost wonder if there will just be a Witcher-style conjunction of two Marvel universes where mutants et al just merge over.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lego scooped everyone as usual and show that it’s Shuri in the suit in Wakanda Forever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Opopanax posted:

Lego scooped everyone as usual and show that it’s Shuri in the suit in Wakanda Forever
Speaking of toys, apparently there is a leaked toy image from Across the Spiderverse indicating that we will be getting Spider Punk in the movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Opopanax posted:

Wrong. It's the Mandarin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s literally like the only time a Lego set hasn’t been something right from the movie, which leads me to believe it was at some point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That’s literally like the only time a Lego set hasn’t been something right from the movie, which leads me to believe it was at some point.

Maybe? But I'm pretty sure it's just that the stereotypical Mandarin looks better as a villain for toy sets than Guy Pearce in a suit.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

oh THANK YOU loving GOD

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"For the origins of our heroes watch Fantastic Four (2005) true believers!... but like... imagine it different, like Dr. Doom's not there. Okay pretty much just the part with the space and radiation and powers, but otherwise you get it"

-Kindly Kevin Feige

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

TwoPair posted:

"For the origins of our heroes watch Fantastic Four (2005) true believers!... but like... imagine it different, like Dr. Doom's not there. Okay pretty much just the part with the space and radiation and powers, but otherwise you get it"

-Kindly Kevin Feige

and please for the love of God make the twins teenagers, or hell young adults

adults just cannot write child characters. they just can't I'm sorry. i could never stand franklin in the comics and I could easily see him just being a repeat of the worst parts of MoM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
for all of Dan Slott's faults, aging up the richards kids to atleast mid to late adolescence and trying to give them some semblance of an identity was (and is currently) the highlight of his FF run.

it honestly reads like some weird Incredibles fan fiction at times with the level of banter between them and Reed/Sue