Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bigscreen also has a video player to play local files on Quest, if you're doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Unsinkabear posted:

...is there really no way to fix stick drift without buying a whole new unit? :ohdear:

Uh, yeah, just buy a new controller.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

silly question, did you try holding down the power button for about 3 seconds to turn it on

Yeah, and also the power+volume button to get it to boot into safe mode and stuff too, just completely unresponsive.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

On second thought, which purchasing option takes the biggest cut and results in the least amount of money going to Meta?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
If you care that much, then don't buy a Quest 2. Either go without or get another unit.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you care that much, then don't buy a Quest 2. Either go without or get another unit.

"Care that much" = caring at all? Lol

And I would, if it were as easy as you're trying to make it sound. But my budget is not infinite, and it doesn't seem like there are any other units that can do what it can for any remotely comparable price.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 28, 2022

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just getting tired of all the "I hate Meta and want them to fail and make no money, but I'm still going to buy their product because it's affordable" poo poo. But their stuff if you want to, have fun with it. Or don't, go without this one particular entertainment novelty and satisfy your conscience. Nobody needs to preface their purchase with a disclaimer about their feelings on Meta, and you not buying one of these isn't going to do anything to effect them at all.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 28, 2022

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just getting tired of all the "I hate Meta and want them to fail and make no money, but I'm still going to buy their product because it's affordable" poo poo. But their stuff if you want to, have fun with it. Or don't, go without this one particular entertainment novelty and satisfy your conscience. Nobody needs to preface their purchase with a disclaimer about their feelings on Meta.

Okay boomer.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Agent355 posted:

Okay boomer.

:jerkbag:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just getting tired of all the "I hate Meta and want them to fail and make no money, but I'm still going to buy their product because it's affordable" poo poo. But their stuff if you want to, have fun with it. Or don't, go without this one particular entertainment novelty and satisfy your conscience. Nobody needs to preface their purchase with a disclaimer about their feelings on Meta, and you not buying one of these isn't going to do anything to effect them at all.

Chill out.

Also, buying a Q2 still loses them money for the next couple of days.

So buying one and then nothing from their store is actually ethical.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I can kind of get it. I want my cool toys but I also loving hate that privacy infringing "capital-makes-right" alt-right pipeline hellscape that is Faceboo-, wait sorry, Meta.

Like seriously, it loving sucks so god drat much that Meta is the company doing the most with VR. It really really really sucks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fortunately they will likely not be the top dog forever. Things will get cheaper to make and a lot of the enthusiasts will drop Meta as soon as it becomes viable.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Just installed the Outer Wilds VR mod and ho-ly-poo poo what a cool came to experience in VR. Starts a bit rough on the starting planet (framerate kinda suck there flat too, so not surprising), but the jet pack flying, space travel, gravity flipping gimmicks, setpieces… SOOO much cooler and impactful in VR.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JohnnySmitch posted:

Just installed the Outer Wilds VR mod and ho-ly-poo poo what a cool came to experience in VR. Starts a bit rough on the starting planet (framerate kinda suck there flat too, so not surprising), but the jet pack flying, space travel, gravity flipping gimmicks, setpieces… SOOO much cooler and impactful in VR.

I might have to give this another try. I played it back when I still had a 1070 and it ran like poo poo but should be able to comfortably run it now.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Inzombiac posted:

Fortunately they will likely not be the top dog forever.

No it'll be Apple instead. :lol:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

JohnnySmitch posted:

I'm waiting to having a better computer (hopefully end of this year?) to play the DLC in VR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

OgNar posted:

I tried the pc version of this and didnt like it.
I guess it has potential, but the 3 instances I tried it, as soon as I started my first battle, every mob on the map would come rushing towards that room.
It went from my team of 4 against 5-7 mobs to having another 10-15 just waiting outside the door to get in.
On the 3rd try that didnt happen as badly and was able to clear the map, only to find that it put me on the second floor with no saving.
And then gang banged again.

No, not every mob on the map rushes towards you. I beat all dungeons several times, I know how the game works. There is usually just 1 or 2 rooms packed with that amount of enemies.
And well, you are supposed to use smarts and tactics to kill the mobs.

Although I agree it would be a better game with a difficulty selector, there is none right now.

Oh, and you can save now in between floors.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

From all the poo poo they could act on, FTC decides to sue because the Supernatural acquisition:
https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-supernatural-within-acquisition-price-ftc-scrutiny-report/

There are so many fitness or pseudo fitness apps already, and you lose calories with all of them. /shrug

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Turin Turambar posted:

From all the poo poo they could act on, FTC decides to sue because the Supernatural acquisition:
https://www.roadtovr.com/meta-supernatural-within-acquisition-price-ftc-scrutiny-report/

There are so many fitness or pseudo fitness apps already, and you lose calories with all of them. /shrug

As your link suggests, probably because of the 400 million dollar price tag.

Sorry you gotta take it up with the FTC if you want the thread to stop talking about facebook or meta or whatever :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

VR Chat Desktop and VR Chat in VR is a night and day experience, jeeze.

I wouldn't even say I did anything particularly exciting or special, I spent most of the night just soaking in the novelty of small VR things. Little sad the oculus battery seemed to last maybe 3 hours before I started getting warnings? But I've got a long cord coming before the weekend.

Very much looking forward to trying out some more tailored VR experiences - I've got a friend who's offered to share their steam library too.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Oxyclean posted:

VR Chat Desktop and VR Chat in VR is a night and day experience, jeeze.

I wouldn't even say I did anything particularly exciting or special, I spent most of the night just soaking in the novelty of small VR things. Little sad the oculus battery seemed to last maybe 3 hours before I started getting warnings? But I've got a long cord coming before the weekend.

Very much looking forward to trying out some more tailored VR experiences - I've got a friend who's offered to share their steam library too.

Definitely invest in a battery pack. 20,000 mAh will get you ~12 hours. I can spend 5 hours in VRChat easy, and there have been some times where my Steam was like "85 hours over the last two weeks" :v:

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

VRChat has some extremely rad poo poo in it that you can only really experience in VR

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

It also just banned all mods overnight and told its disabled users who needed them for accessibility to get hosed

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Unsinkabear posted:

It also just banned all mods overnight and told its disabled users who needed them for accessibility to get hosed

it's okay because they said they might eventually maybe add some of them into the game itself!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unsinkabear posted:

Nah, the accessibility thing caught them short by the looks of it (Hell, it was the first I'd heard of such mods myself).

marumaru posted:

it's okay because they said they might eventually maybe add some of them into the game itself!

Try by end of next week. My take is they should've let the open beta marinate and do this first before pushing EAC live, but at least they're admitting fault and fixing this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm also amused to hear it won't stop half of the problems since they're either avatar-based and EAC sucks poo poo as an anti-cheat.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try by end of next week. My take is they should've let the open beta marinate and do this first before pushing EAC live, but at least they're admitting fault and fixing this.

oh my, positively surprised by this.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://youtu.be/CZrv_r72xIA

Labirynth dlc is out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also I feel sorry for the ChilloutVR guys, with an, I'm told, 3-man team and an apparently-nice community, now having an emotionally-volatile mob of VRChat users diving into their midst and outnumbering the existing community substantially.

And probably a shitton of malicious modders looking for a fresh platform.

marumaru posted:

oh my, positively surprised by this.

Me too actually, but I won't knock it. It sounds like they had a lot of this planned anyway, they just got bumped up the list.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

did neos never work out? it looked pretty interesting

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

marumaru posted:

did neos never work out? it looked pretty interesting

Some of the senior devs are apparently big on NFT's and blockchain.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

oh.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It also has a pretty poor interface, it's nowhere near the clean, friendly usability of VRChat and is in desperate need of an update.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/BrandonJLa/stat...now-playable%2F

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WELL THEN RELEASE IT :mad:

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/polygrover/status/1552685314241708037

this looks awesome

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh hey, that looks like what I actually wanted the game to be, instead of Ravenholm 3 through 30.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

On hindsight, HL Alyx combat felt lackluster. It needed a bit more of movement and something to spice it up. Maybe this will fill that gap on the experience.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Neddy Seagoon posted:

nah, it's the CEO, Karel who's the crypto dickweed. the whole story is one rife with abuse and other good stuff. I dearly hope they'll get him ousted and get back to active development. at least the cryptobros mostly fled when the value dived and they realised the community hated them

In other news, ChilloutVR is having A Time. they've taken on a bunch of the big vrchat mod developers as staff and are doing their damned best to stabilize everything so it's enjoyable for everyone. they apparently had a 10k+ queue just register and verify for game access, that's wild for somehting that had like, 7 people on average prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

WELL THEN RELEASE IT :mad: