Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My pro 11 should show up tomorrow. Any utilities to make the switch from android easy-ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RandolphCarter posted:

My pro 11 should show up tomorrow. Any utilities to make the switch from android easy-ish?

Download Move to iOS on your android phone, and while I recommend a walk in closet, any closet in your house is suitable for making a shrine to Stebe.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

RandolphCarter posted:

For me, I was fine with my SMS text messages going away, and everything else I had was using cloud services (email, contacts, calendars, music, photos, etc).

Duckman2008 posted:

Download Move to iOS on your android phone, and while I recommend a walk in closet, any closet in your house is suitable for making a shrine to Stebe.

The reviews are not great on this, and I never bothered with it, but certainly worth looking at, maybe it would work better with a subset of data like messages.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 20, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not sure what your phone usage is like but I’m always of the opinion that you should start fresh and only look into transferring stuff over if you decide you need it. Contacts and photos should be stored with Google in the cloud and easy to transfer over manually. Otherwise just play with your new phone and seek out features as needed.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

migrate your contacts from google to icloud to triple the number of friends you have

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Updated to 15.6 and now wireless carplay isn't working! The horror

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

For me, I was fine with my SMS text messages going away, and everything else I had was using cloud services (email, contacts, calendars, music, photos, etc).

The reviews are not great on this, and I never bothered with it, but certainly worth looking at, maybe it would work better with a subset of data like messages.

Yeah, to clarify move to iOS is def not good, it’s just the best option that I’m aware of.

Build the shrine first for good luck.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Not sure if there's a better thread for this but I'm wondering if anyone has a fix for an issue I'm having.

I have a 7th gen iPod Touch. I listen to music through apple music and usually just play random playlists on shuffle. When I plug it into my Hyundai Sonata with USB the playlist will turn off shuffle and I have no idea why. Is there a setting on either my car or my ipod that I need to change?

Also, is there a way to do shuffle albums in a playlist anymore? I hung onto my ipod classic for ages and I only recently got the touch, I really miss the old music player options to the point I'm debating giving up on the touch and buying one of those $400 custom classics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't help you with the first part, but for the second, there's alternative apps you can purchase that use your AM library, but offer more customization and such. Marvis is well liked for this.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

HomePod Minis are a pretty good value proposition for $100 - it certainly sounds as good as my $100 Ikea/Sonos speakers, at a much smaller footprint with Siri built in. The ability to use them as intercoms and as a Doorbell chime is nice, as well. Tap to transfer from your devices is pretty cool, too.

I'll definitely be picking up a few more of these since there are still a few rooms in the house without speakers. I kinda wish they still made the original HomePod.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Gay Retard posted:

HomePod Minis are a pretty good value proposition for $100 - it certainly sounds as good as my $100 Ikea/Sonos speakers, at a much smaller footprint with Siri built in. The ability to use them as intercoms and as a Doorbell chime is nice, as well. Tap to transfer from your devices is pretty cool, too.

I'll definitely be picking up a few more of these since there are still a few rooms in the house without speakers. I kinda wish they still made the original HomePod.

I really wish Apple would make a homepod device with a screen (and would be happy if it did nothing other than showed pictures), but Amazon doesn't have it's poo poo together with those either so not sure there's a huge difference between having a bad thing with a screen vs not having something a screen. :(

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I really wish Apple would make a homepod device with a screen (and would be happy if it did nothing other than showed pictures), but Amazon doesn't have it's poo poo together with those either so not sure there's a huge difference between having a bad thing with a screen vs not having something a screen. :(

A Nest Hub-like device within the Apple ecosystem would definitely be nice - I’d be curious what kind of neat tricks Apple would include with it.

I know everybody considers Apple products overpriced, but I’ve been pretty impressed with AirTags and the HomePod Mini, which are both pretty affordable and aren’t that much more expensive than something from Amazon or Google.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

As someone with two Google Nest Hubs and two Nest Hub Max they own hard and it's beyond dumb Apple doesn't have an option.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I think that Tim Apple would consider a persons iPhone or iPad as a "HomePod with a screen" for HomePod-with-screen purposes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah its called an iPad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Does anyone sell mounts or stands that would effectively make an iPad mini (for example) a hub like device?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yes, you can find lots of cheap stands and wall mounts on Amazon and other shops for iPads. (Though this is getting outside the scope of this iPhone thread.)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve always wanted to install one of these in-wall iPad mounts with direct power behind it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YR6L4K

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

There's been a rumor for a while now that this exact thing is going to happen at some point.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/22/apple-speakers-with-screens-and-cameras-report/

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They’ve been enabling it for everyone every now and then as Premium bait. Oh wait I guess it’s for eveyrone now? Cool.

I've had premium for years and never got PiP on iOS.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I've had premium for years and never got PiP on iOS.

It was part of an experimental feature YT had been trying for some time, just had to poke around your Settings somewhere to find it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah its called an iPad.

Lol.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I've got a pretty weird issue. I was having all sorts of text message instability related to my iPhone and TMobile not playing nice together. After a bit of time on calls with Apple / TMobile support I finally decided to do a full wipe and start over, after having the same OS lasting through upgrades and restores since the 4S. I guess all things have to come to an end eventually. Anyways I'm setting everything up from the factory reset and I noticed that the reminders app, which I us A LOT, isn't showing any reminders nor is the badge icon displaying when I have something that's coming due. I look in the notification settings and I've found that the reminders app doesn't appear anywhere. The app is installed. I can use siri to dictate new reminders and they pop up on my 'today' list as expected, but I only see them if I actually open the app. Reminders is listed under iCloud settings and I've tried deleting / repulling the data there with no luck. I've also tried uninstalling / reinstalling the reminders app and it still isn't showing up under the notification settings. I really don't want to reach out to apple support as I feel they're going to tell me to just factory reset again even though I just did that. Does anyone know what this could be or how I could fix it?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

You tried spotlight search (swiping down on Home Screen) and reminders gives no results?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Inner Light posted:

You tried spotlight search (swiping down on Home Screen) and reminders gives no results?

I think I phrased it poorly. Reminders is there and seems to be working as expected in every way except that it isn't showing up under the notification settings and doesn't seem to be able to trigger any notifications at all

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Has anyone ever poked through the data you can get on your account from https://privacy.apple.com/? It's a little creepy how much stuff is in there but basically what you'd expect.

Anyway, the reason I did it was to see if I could fix for myself why I've been having issues with Reminders syncing between devices over iCloud for several years now (as various chats over the years with Apple engineers hasn't ever really fixed the problem), but the the guide linked here implies there should've been a Reminders.csv file in the data download, but that wasn't available in the download.
https://appleid.cdn-apple.com/acces...vHUmLvt38XrsBKi

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Buff Hardback posted:

I just pay for both Google Photos and Apple storage and readily admit to being a schmuck

This is me but I recently found out if I force everyone to be in my family group we can share the apple and google space. So far we still fit in the cheapest tier of both. Downside is I will probably be paying for these deadbeats until I die.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Convincing all your dumb less technically inclined friends and family to go in on an Apple One subscription seems like a no-brainer - it's only $3.30 a month for Music/TV+/Arcade/iCloud+, or $5 each if you want to add News+ and Fitness+.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

does putting friends/family in a family group like that still prevent them from having separate purchases and media on their own accounts?

i looked into setting this up with my partner years ago and it seemed like there was no way to keep anything separate at all. some other services, like amazon prime for example, let us share most of the benefits with accounts that were otherwise separate.

seemed like the apple system only made sense for kids, but probably not friends or adults, but maybe it’s better now?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

does putting friends/family in a family group like that still prevent them from having separate purchases and media on their own accounts?

i looked into setting this up with my partner years ago and it seemed like there was no way to keep anything separate at all. some other services, like amazon prime for example, let us share most of the benefits with accounts that were otherwise separate.

seemed like the apple system only made sense for kids, but probably not friends or adults, but maybe it’s better now?

I believe you can choose whether or not to share purchases. If you do, then anything they purchase is charged to the controlling account on the family plan. Otherwise everyone has their own purchases and whatnot.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you can share subscriptions but not have to share purchases anymore, that would be a great change. don't think that was an option before, or if it was, it was not at all obvious.

there was some other problem we ran into when we tried to too, but i can't remember the details now. i think some of her old stuff wouldn't play or wasn't accessible in itunes for some reason until we unlinked the family.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Subscription sharing is separate from purchase sharing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bad Purchase posted:

if you can share subscriptions but not have to share purchases anymore, that would be a great change. don't think that was an option before, or if it was, it was not at all obvious.

there was some other problem we ran into when we tried to too, but i can't remember the details now. i think some of her old stuff wouldn't play or wasn't accessible in itunes for some reason until we unlinked the family.

iCloud family still requires a single purchaser. The workaround is to put itunes/app store credit on individual accounts if you don't want purchases to hit the main credit card. Everyone always gets a separate account.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I've got a pretty weird issue. I was having all sorts of text message instability related to my iPhone and TMobile not playing nice together. After a bit of time on calls with Apple / TMobile support I finally decided to do a full wipe and start over, after having the same OS lasting through upgrades and restores since the 4S. I guess all things have to come to an end eventually. Anyways I'm setting everything up from the factory reset and I noticed that the reminders app, which I us A LOT, isn't showing any reminders nor is the badge icon displaying when I have something that's coming due. I look in the notification settings and I've found that the reminders app doesn't appear anywhere. The app is installed. I can use siri to dictate new reminders and they pop up on my 'today' list as expected, but I only see them if I actually open the app. Reminders is listed under iCloud settings and I've tried deleting / repulling the data there with no luck. I've also tried uninstalling / reinstalling the reminders app and it still isn't showing up under the notification settings. I really don't want to reach out to apple support as I feel they're going to tell me to just factory reset again even though I just did that. Does anyone know what this could be or how I could fix it?

After being on the phone with support we fixed it, in case anyone else runs into this. I set up a new reminder while sharing my screen with them to show them what was happening. When I specifically clicked on the time field the 'enable notifications' prompt popped up and now everything is working as expected. It's interesting that no other reminders that I'd set where I didn't include a specific time caused this prompt to pop up. Oh well

It's working now!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

For those of you who've had AirPod Pros for a while, how is the battery life of the case holding up? I've had mine for a little over 1 year and the case only seems to hold a couple charges now, even though I only use my AirPods ~2 hours/week.

I got the earbuds replaced a month ago under warranty, so they have full battery. I fully depleted them last night and the case had 80% left after fully charging the earbuds when I went to sleep. I didn't use them all today but tonight the case says 70%. :confused:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MrBond posted:

iCloud family still requires a single purchaser. The workaround is to put itunes/app store credit on individual accounts if you don't want purchases to hit the main credit card. Everyone always gets a separate account.

You can turn off share purchases to not have this system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

For those of you who've had AirPod Pros for a while, how is the battery life of the case holding up? I've had mine for a little over 1 year and the case only seems to hold a couple charges now, even though I only use my AirPods ~2 hours/week.

I got the earbuds replaced a month ago under warranty, so they have full battery. I fully depleted them last night and the case had 80% left after fully charging the earbuds when I went to sleep. I didn't use them all today but tonight the case says 70%. :confused:

I cleverly bought mine at launch, just before we all got locked in our homes for two years!

So my use may not be typical, it's typically only an hour of listening per night.. I never check how drained the ears are when I finish. But in the 2.5 years since I feel like I only need to charge the case about once a week. Maybe twice, I guess I really don't pay attention. But it's "several days" because I usually forget when the last time I plugged them in was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a way of checking battery health on AirPods, and if they’re below a certain level can they be replaced under warranty?

I’m guessing ‘no’ and ‘lol no’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a way of checking battery health on AirPods, and if they’re below a certain level can they be replaced under warranty?

I’m guessing ‘no’ and ‘lol no’.

If I can remember, I’ll check the official repair/troubleshooting poo poo tomorrow and see what I can find.