Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
On the HBOMAX app, I have a list of “continue watching” things that I haven’t finished. Except that they’re all just movies I stopped when the credits starts. There’s no way to remove them from the list that I can tell and they don’t drop off or time out or whatever. So now I have this bigass list of things I’m probably not gonna continue watching that I can clear unless I go through and ffwd through all the credits.

Dumb!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think you have to log in on a browser then you click the actual words "continue watching" and it will show your list along with an edit button. I don't think it exists on the app, or at least not on the devices I own, so I'm lucky that I watch in a browser about half the time. I still never remove stuff but at least I know I can.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
That happens to me all the time with Plex, but at least there's a "Mark as Watched" button (that I have to press every time).

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
People who wear a mask and insist on whispering so that I have to constantly ask them to repeat what they said.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just get up real close to them!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

When news outlets run a headline describing some mild criticism or minor cattiness and it uses the most ridiculous violent verbage to describe it

Jimmy Jones DESTROYS Bimmy John in Post-Game Statement

Vice President DROPS NUCLEAR BOMB on Opposition in Passing Comment at Veranda Quiznos

Darryl Archideld TORN TO PIECES, DEFINITELY ENDING HIS LIFE PAINFULLY in Deleted Chloe Tweet

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

leader characters in fiction named some variety of "shepherd"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Shibawanko posted:

leader characters in fiction named some variety of "shepherd"

loving hell I hate characters named Shepherd in stories. The moment it is revealed their name is Shepherd, all I can think is, okay this guy is a Jesus analog, got it. And they usually are. But sometimes they aren't and I'm like, what the gently caress why are you named Shepherd then

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

loving hell I hate characters named Shepherd in stories. The moment it is revealed their name is Shepherd, all I can think is, okay this guy is a Jesus analog, got it. And they usually are. But sometimes they aren't and I'm like, what the gently caress why are you named Shepherd then

I'm glad Shepard in Mass Effect was just a reference to Alan Shepard and not a Jesus analogy. It's just a coincidence that Shepard died and was resurrected by the Lazarus Project and sacrificed themself for all people in the galaxy in the end.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm commander Shepherd, and this is my favorite money changing station on the Citadel

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Book, Shepherd, or--in one groan-worthy case--Shepherd Book.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

Book, Shepherd, or--in one groan-worthy case--Shepherd Book.

Well, wasn't Shepard just what they called priests in Firefly? Like, his first name wasn't Shepard, he was "Shepard Book" in the same sense as "Father Book" or "Reverend Book."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also any protagonist with a name patterned after Jesus Christ by sharing his initials, like John Connor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm so sick of this John Chepard

We get it, you saved the alliance, you hosed Garrus, you punched a reporter, you wanna get up on a cross for it? gently caress you John.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Jul 27, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Or this guy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Also any protagonist with a name patterned after Jesus Christ by sharing his initials, like John Connor.

Protagonists sharing the author's initials to emphasize how cool they are, I Am Looking At You JMS

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tunicate posted:

Protagonists sharing the author's initials to emphasize how cool they are, I Am Looking At You JMS

The anti-peeve of this is the fact that the protagonist of J G Ballard's Crash is J G Ballard.

Either the man LIKED his cars or he's comfortable enough with himself to make himself the weirdo car pervert main character in a book about weirdo car perverts.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BioEnchanted posted:

The initials of the main character in The Man from Earth are "JO"

lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There was a character on Lost called Christian Shephard.

Like a lot of Lost character names it didn't actually mean anything but it was pretty funny

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Website logins where hitting 'Tab' just once after the username field doesn't directly go to the password field; and/or hitting 'Enter' after typing in the password does not login, you have to click the button with the mouse or tab (sometimes more than once) to it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Website logins where hitting 'Tab' just once after the username field doesn't directly go to the password field; and/or hitting 'Enter' after typing in the password does not login, you have to click the button with the mouse or tab (sometimes more than once) to it.

Similarly, what's with some sites now having the username and password on separate screens so you have to hit enter between them instead of tab? What possible advantage can that have?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Showing passwords instead of ********** should be the default

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vehicles that stop in the middle of a street and put the emergency lights on to make a delivery or something shutting down all traffic for that street, especially if it requires more than setting a package on a door where it takes minutes.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's 2022. People are so tech savvy that is should be fine to show nothing as standard, like Unix systems.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

lobsterminator posted:

It's 2022. People are so tech savvy that is should be fine to show nothing as standard, like Unix systems.

Tell me you never interact with anyone who isn’t over 50 or a computer toucher in your real life without…

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I love the ones where you have to press the button to see the password... and it only shows while you hold down the button.
Typing in passwords on a Hololens is the absolute loving worst, because it's easy to mistype, the only feedback is audio, and you have to try to hold a virtual button floating in midair to show your password for a while.

It's especially genius because it's just not possible for anyone else to see said password being typed in anyhow, unless you're screensharing/casting.
The password being obfuscated is completely pointless on a screen nobody else can see.

lobsterminator posted:

Oh no gently caress right off with that, I always get thrown off when the caret doesn't move.
It's always start typing, 'poo poo, did I mistype?', delete everything, realize I'm in Unix again, sigh, type in password.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone always talks about the time warp from rocky horror when the real ones know hot patootie is the actual banger

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

When a reddit post loads in browser, and I start reading it. But then something faults and it changes to the "something went wrong!" page.

Kiss my loving rear end. You served the content just fine and ran into a problem with some ads or tracking or comments that I don't give a singular gently caress about. Blow me and let me read the loving post.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

bobjr posted:

Vehicles that stop in the middle of a street and put the emergency lights on to make a delivery or something shutting down all traffic for that street, especially if it requires more than setting a package on a door where it takes minutes.

Especially when there is parking AVAILABLE up just a little further on the curb, but they don't pull forward into it, they still double park.

A current peeve is when mothers take advantage of daughters new boyfriends if they appear handy at all, and always offer them up to fix or build or move poo poo etc without even asking the girl actually dating the poor guy. He just wants to make a good impression with my mom and bless his heart. I wont let her volunteer my man like that anymore after a transgression tonight, but she got the message.

I mean yeah its nice to have a man around the house after dad has been dead for a year+, but he isn't your personal Geeksquad or whatever. Love her, love him, just want peace in the valley.

Edit: And this is all from me standing up on his behalf because he is too good natured to ever not be the most polite to my mother, so since he couldnt stand up and say something about it to her, then I had to do it on his behalf. But its all good now.

Le Faye Morgaine has a new favorite as of 06:45 on Jul 29, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oldpainless posted:

Everyone always talks about the time warp from rocky horror when the real ones know hot patootie is the actual banger

Hot Patootie is the banger, but the best BIT is Planet Hotdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r48DlxpLvC4

Its a great username or band name and its great for singing at small children and adults alike to confuse them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Especially when there is parking AVAILABLE up just a little further on the curb, but they don't pull forward into it, they still double park.

A current peeve is when mothers take advantage of daughters new boyfriends if they appear handy at all, and always offer them up to fix or build or move poo poo etc without even asking the girl actually dating the poor guy.

Wait what? Uh, I'd be way more weirded out if my mother-in-law was asking my wife if I can do favours rather than just volunteering me directly or, you know, asking me. If you need to be his advocate and guardian there's a conversation that needs to happen there. With him, with her, with both

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Anyone who expects me to remember biographical information about other posters, from gender and location all the way to career and posting history.

Sometimes I remember people, sure. But other people I see their reg date and wonder how I've never noticed we post on all the same threads for the last twenty years.

Sometimes I have to stop and recall my kids' birthdays, and I was there when they arrived.

Nothing is that interesting, I'm sorry if anything I post is extra egregious because of your personal experience but I don't know it, I don't remember it if you told us, I'm sorry, please stop this

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

Anyone who expects me to remember biographical information about other posters, from gender and location all the way to career and posting history.

Sometimes I remember people, sure. But other people I see their reg date and wonder how I've never noticed we post on all the same threads for the last twenty years.

Sometimes I have to stop and recall my kids' birthdays, and I was there when they arrived.

Nothing is that interesting, I'm sorry if anything I post is extra egregious because of your personal experience but I don't know it, I don't remember it if you told us, I'm sorry, please stop this

Hello, I'm going to sort of just meander about a sort of nostalgic associative anecdote related to Brawnfire's observation.

TL;DR: Who here has made sustained connections with others through these forums?

I first registered for these forums in 2000, and I think I'd just turned 16, but I might still have been 15. That was also during a time I was posting on Interplay's Fallout message board, and a Starsiege: Tribes message board and some other message boards, and out of those forums grew many friendships, and some of those people I still speak to and have met and hung out with even twenty-two years later, excluding somethingawful. I have absolutely spent more time on these forums, even in those days, than I did any other, and yet I've never gotten to know really a single loving one of you. Like, I can recall certain names of people with whom I've interacted with -- Lowtax, of course, who got me fired from my online job in a bizarre way in 2000, unrelatedly, just days after I'd registered for the forums, and Cowcaster who used to be like a bizarrely amazing person at Unreal Tournament 2004 because he'd only use the shield gun, which is the default backup bullshit weapon you start with, and he'd fuckin annihilate everyone, and Alt+F4 and others, okay, but like individually, save for a lot of messages on ICQ in the early 00s with Lowtax, I've never gotten to know a single one of you. Meanwhile through other forums I got to know some people who I still know today, some who have died, some I've met and others not but am still in regular contact with all these years. What does this mean regarding somethingawful? I've always considered this place to be a Real Special Place, a place of nonstop creativity, a place of constant evolution of social, micro-and-macro, but is that I'm just talking into The Void and The Void talks back? I would love to know actually how many real personal connections have been made on somethingawful. We have a twenty and more year history, and literally hundreds of thousands of users, so surely people have gotten to know each other in some way, real relationships created. gently caress what time is it

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Jul 30, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Annoyingly, I have the opposite pet peeve. People who are semi-regular posters in a thread who have been posting there for years and still feel the need to explain their basic situation every time even though yes I know, I remember you! You don't need to keep saying it!

I guess you really can't please everyone.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Annoyingly, I have the opposite pet peeve. People who are semi-regular posters in a thread who have been posting there for years and still feel the need to explain their basic situation every time even though yes I know, I remember you! You don't need to keep saying it!

Having a helpful redtext makes things easier.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

credburn posted:

Hello, I'm going to sort of just meander about a sort of nostalgic associative anecdote related to Brawnfire's observation.

TL;DR: Who here has made sustained connections with others through these forums?

I first registered for these forums in 2000, and I think I'd just turned 16, but I might still have been 15. That was also during a time I was posting on Interplay's Fallout message board, and a Starsiege: Tribes message board and some other message boards, and out of those forums grew many friendships, and some of those people I still speak to and have met and hung out with even twenty-two years later, excluding somethingawful. I have absolutely spent more time on these forums, even in those days, than I did any other, and yet I've never gotten to know really a single loving one of you. Like, I can recall certain names of people with whom I've interacted with -- Lowtax, of course, who got me fired from my online job in a bizarre way in 2000, unrelatedly, just days after I'd registered for the forums, and Cowcaster who used to be like a bizarrely amazing person at Unreal Tournament 2004 because he'd only use the shield gun, which is the default backup bullshit weapon you start with, and he'd fuckin annihilate everyone, and Alt+F4 and others, okay, but like individually, save for a lot of messages on ICQ in the early 00s with Lowtax, I've never gotten to know a single one of you. Meanwhile through other forums I got to know some people who I still know today, some who have died, some I've met and others not but am still in regular contact with all these years. What does this mean regarding somethingawful? I've always considered this place to be a Real Special Place, a place of nonstop creativity, a place of constant evolution of social, micro-and-macro, but is that I'm just talking into The Void and The Void talks back? I would love to know actually how many real personal connections have been made on somethingawful. We have a twenty and more year history, and literally hundreds of thousands of users, so surely people have gotten to know each other in some way, real relationships created. gently caress what time is it

Should have joined us in Goonroom via tinychat over the years. A lot of posters stopped in, names I recognized. I even dated one goon LD for 8 drat years, Do they even do IRL goon meetups anymore?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've met some goons irl, but not a lot.

I do a lot of musical collaboration with goons online tho.

Organza Quiz posted:

Like so many things about my life, the roots of this peeve really are in my lovely memory. There's definitely lots of posters I remember and recognize but they have to have stood out in my mind in some way multiple times before it connects. But when some poster is like "everyone on SA/itt knows I'm X" I'm like maybe?

Probably, and I'm the only dipshit out of the loop, idk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LCDs can still be spied on through reading accidental RF emissions, so in theory asterisking passwords helps harden against that attack vector. It currently costs like $2000 to build a detector.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That xkcd comic where crypto nerds are defeated by a dude simply threatening them with big hammer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Packaging that says "Tear here" and has an arrow pointing to a part of the package that is identical to the rest of it and no easier to tear.