Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for using the "If I can have it no-one can" strategy against my sister.

quote:

To start this story off, I need to explain some details from before this. For my entire life, my older sister( Now 20) has been my parents favorite. If my brother or I got something, she had to have it or a better version. And for 16 years, my sister had it easy using this to her advantage. Until when I was 16, and a huge family fight ended up in therapy sessions. My parents finally figured it out that their favoritism was harming their relationship with my brother and I. So they cut my sister off from the favoritism, cold turkey.

Now that reddit is up to speed on my situation, I can continue. Recently my grandpa's big 55 inch smart tv, broke due to a power surge. Well he asked me to help get a new one and set it up. During the install of the new tv, I saw his old tv. I then asked for it stating I can fix it and return it. My grandpa said " If you can fix the darn thing, keep it.". So I did exactly that, I order the parts from eBay and replaced the boards. It works like a charm. For some reason my sister is jealous, and honestly this goes beyond jealousy. Almost obsessional, almost daily she asks to buy it off of me. It got to the point where she tried to forcibly take it and just dump cash on my desk.

Well after denying her for the 20th time. She went to my parents, attempting to get them to help her. Well they said no as well. But my sister did not stop annoying them till they caved. They offered me to buy a brand new one, all I had to do was give this one up and wait about a month until my dads bonus came in. But I didn't want a new one. I fixed this one, I mounted it, and I don't want to wait a month. Then I woke up one day to the T.V. being taken out of my room and after processing it. I raised hell and threw my metal water bottle at it . Well everyone freaked out. Screaming at me as to why. And I just told them "If I can't have it no one can". After this I sold it on eBay along with a spare LCD screen I had for it, and enough to buy another and newer one.

Well now everyone is telling me I'm the rear end in a top hat for destroying the TV, if I was just gonna by a new one. I wasn't going to buy a new one, I was just going to use the old one for the rest of my life. But she had to take it, and so far she hasn't asked for the new one. So it payed off in the end. So AITA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yo mods, is this thread on the list for the megathread reboot program?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AceClown posted:

Hopefully not it was just rebooted 8-9 months ago and has an active IK

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

AceClown posted:

Depends and it’s a good time to address it now: any issues with loading or reading the thread?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

teen witch posted:

Depends and it’s a good time to address it now: any issues with loading or reading the thread?

works fine for me, was just wondering because it has like 10x the posts of some threads that got rebooted recently is all

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

teen witch posted:

Nope, it serves up that delicious drama to me like a dream

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

teen witch posted:

Seems like some people consistently have trouble reading the thread

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
No need to reboot it for people that read every other word while making poo poo up.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

The Bandit posted:

Seems like some people consistently have trouble reading the thread

It's a database issue that causes projection from personal data onto incomplete fields.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
I think it helps that this thread has almost no images or twitter posts in it

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for insisting on attending my sister's wedding?

brb, gonna go ask r/relationship_advice what to do when my bangnanny gets uppity

I kinda hoped someone in their 30's would be a bit smarter about men but I guess not.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

AITA for breaking up with my friend group for horrible relationship advice that broke up my marriage?
rear end in a top hat

The link still works too .

haha I love this one but never realized that reddit voted OP the rear end in a top hat, incredible

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Nae posted:

I want to know more about the initial decision to move the disagreeable parents to be closer to them.

From OP

quote:

my mother is disrespectful to her, thinks she's a bad mother. my wife is a stay at home mom, my mother thinks she's taking advantage of me ... and controlling me. setting me back. well, there's some irony to this given how I don't really do anything and am being told not to go see my parents now.

we've been married 6 years, dating 2, so living together about 8 years now. She says weekends ought to be for us but I'm so busy I can't ever do anything significant for myself or my parents unless it's the weekend.

quote:

not everyone is mature enough to control their impulses. my father has been abusive in today's standards my whole life, but I want to help him in his last years. I don't see him or my mother as disposable creatures because they're set in their ways. Of course it makes my wife AND myself less willing to spend time with them, but I have the sense of urgency to help them as they're absolutely alone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jesus it's literally "yes they are abusive horrible people, but I would feel bad if they were left alone"

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
:smith:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for embarrassing my brother infront of the whole family?

quote:

I(36M) am married to a wonderful woman(34). When we first got married 8 years ago, I was making about $36k and she was making $230k.

Fast foreward a year and we welcome a sweet baby girl. After her maternity leave was up, I took my vacation to stay with my baby. Well I found out that being a dad and taking care of the house is 1000 times better than working in a stressful office. We discussed it, and I became a full time SAHD.

I like being a SAHD. I even enjoy keeping the house clean, cooking, taking care of the kids (7F, 4M and 1M), being involved in the mom groups, little league...etc.

The only person who seems to have a problem with things is my older brother (44M). I don't know how, but despite being raised by parents who are very much champions of equal rights, he grew up to be the embodiment of "man provides and guides, woman makes home and follows". Which is why he is a 2 times divorcee who has terrible relationships with his kids.

For the past 7 years he has been making jokes about me, trying to emply that I am less of a man because my wife earns money while "I play little wife". I ignore him if I'm in the mood to, or just shake my head at him.

Well my wife and I were drunk one time and we came up with a bit of a naughty solution. He gives major vibes of being a prude (and is casually homophobic TBH). So when he made a joke last Sunday along the lines that "if you were married to a man, you would 100% be the bottom" I hit him with "funny you say that, I am a bottom. 'wife' really knows gow to use a dildo and harness to make a man see the starts".

He turned so red, everyone kind of let out a shocked laugh and he finally shut up. After a while he said that he did not want to hear about what I do with my wife in our bedroom. I said if he keeps his comments to himself, I would have no reason to share.

But today mom called me to say that he refuses to attend Sunday dinner if I am there unless I apologize. I refused to and mom is now the one feeling bad. So AITA?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

my mother is disrespectful to her, thinks she's a bad mother. my wife is a stay at home mom, my mother thinks she's taking advantage of me ... and controlling me. setting me back. well, there's some irony to this given how I don't really do anything and am being told not to go see my parents now.
Buddy that's not irony. Your wife is being controlling and therefore your mother is right. That doesn't mean your parents don't suck though.

Get couples therapy or divorce because otherwise you have a few more decades of pure misery ahead of you

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Woodchip posted:

My wife thinks I'm spending too much time with my parents

There were edits, it’s not just the wife:

quote:

EDIT: I haven't made it clear that I do support my wife and I do set boundaries with my parents. They are simply not agreeable even towards me, everyone is different - some people think I should just cut ties with them because they are unappreciative no matter what I do for them. But I feel a strong obligation to help them, especially seeing them so old and frail. I don't casually allow them to talk me down or my wife, like people in comments may have misunderstood. I know they don't like my wife, or decisions I've made with my life, but I can't just cut my parents off entirely. I'm trying to have a good last few years as possible with them, especially since they're new in town and have so much adjusting to make.

EDIT2: Also, there is no financial burden on our family, this is all paid by my parent's own funds from selling their home and savings, etc. The reason I posted here is to figure out if it's out of line for my wife to tell me to NOT go see them. I'm not dragging her along with me, or forcing anyone to come along - my kids want to go see my parents, they're young and have a good time at their home, the blessing of being so innocent.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DreamingofRoses posted:

There were edits, it’s not just the wife:

Odds on those sweet, innocent memories of the kids later causing the kids weird trauma?

quote:

She's depressed, has been for some time, and only has a couple friends (2 more than me) who she sees from time to time for coffee or the gym or stuff with the kids while I work.

my parents want her to come along when I go, but I got tired of making excuses to why she isn't responding to texts and not coming etc.. I said I don't want to get in the middle, I'm here and bringing our children, let her do her thing, she'll come around one day.

I'm sure she'll come around, OP.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 28, 2022

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

curlingiron posted:

Sometimes you don’t get a choice. My mother’s parents announced one day that they were selling their house and moving 10 minutes away from us. This was several years after my parents moved states to get away from them. I guess moving near one of their non-scapegoat children wasn’t an option because ????

Anyway, they’re dead now. :toot:

Whoa, you got away with the crime?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Frankly I just feel bad for the dad and the kids, the wife and the parents both suck.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ShootaBoy posted:

Frankly I just feel bad for the dad and the kids, the wife and the parents both suck.

I'm not a fan of him bringing his kids around his abusive parents and acting like it isn't going to affect them at all.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

ShootaBoy posted:

Yes, why wouldn’t the wife want him spending time with abusive assholes who don’t respect her or her husband/their own son despite the fact that he’s bending over backwards for them. She must be a controlling rear end in a top hat! Guess all those other people who told him to cut them off are controlling assholes too

For actual content:

AITA: killing my neighbors plants because she wouldn’t move them (but they were on my property)

quote:

AMITA: I have a ladies plants away after she was very rude and would take them back herself?

I was reminded of this because I just saw that pic on r/pics (EDIT: link to post is at the bottom) about that person leaving their plant out in public so it could get sun. I used to have an apartment that got ALOT of sun because it was facing east (or whatever direction gets most sunlight, I forget) and there was no building next to me so it was mostly unobstructed. The room with all that sunlight was my chill room, so it was mostly empty space with my desk and yoga mat. My neighbor next door asked me If she could put a few of her small cacti on my little sun deck (which was big enough for 1 chair and a little side table) and I of course said Ok, I didn’t really use the sun deck and I liked this neighbor. I also told her if she knew anyone else in the building, they could sun a few of their plants if they wanted to.

Another person in my building, Jenna, started sunning her plants at my place. But it wasn’t just a few little succulents or whatever, they were BIG. After the 4/5 plant, a kindly told her I’m running out of room, so she was allowed only 1 more plant. She got a little short with me and I said I had plenty of room, but I would just have to take my cats bed off the deck (he has an enclosed shelter and an open bed there), and I again told her that no, I won’t be moving his bed, she’ll just have to stop buying plants. She kept on escalating and eventually started actually chastising me, and I told her to come get her plants writhing the next 2 weeks or I’d get rid of them.

She never came and got them. I left plenty of notes on her door, I told her husband to tell her, all that stuff. Important note: I’d usually water peoples plants (if they needed to be watered) because it was just easier. So she didn’t come and get them after 2 weeks. I stop watering them, and they eventually die. I left the dead plants in her pots out side her door, and she COMPLAINED about ME being a rude neighbor. Ugh. She later tried to sue me for destruction of property but it didn’t get far.

Anyways, am I a petty rear end in a top hat? What should I have done? A friend told me I should’ve just left them (alive) at her door, but I gave her PLENTY of time, so tbh I don’t feel bad.

EDIT: I’ve seen a few comments about little things I should clear up-

The lady with the bird is a nice lady, not the ones whose plants I murdered (by neglect) in cold blood. I don’t get the impression the bird is trying to escape or get away from her, it’s usually very nice, he looks very healthy and stress-free to me, she spoils him rotten, I think he just doesn’t understand windows because he’ll just fly right into it, get up, and do it again. She’s tried putting strips of tape on the windows so he can see they aren’t open, but she mostly has to keep the curtains closed (he’s also more free-range, I don’t think he lives in a little cage most of the time)

I like people’s plants. My state is very seasonal, so the summer is good for keeping tropical plants outside, but you have to take them inside the other 3 seasons. I enjoy the plants because I don’t have to take care of them endlessly all year around, I just spray them with water 2-3 times a day and enjoy the hummingbirds and butterflies they attract.

Yes I could’ve moved her plants before they died. I’m a lazy person by nature and can be petty, so I didn’t want to move them unless I had to. They were wide pots with pockets on the outside of them ( like this one: https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/world-menagerie-seo-8-pocket-strawberry-ceramic-pot-planter-w001365751.html?piid=359706985 ), so it was kind of hard to hold, and it was around other plants that I had to move in order to clear a path and it just would’ve been a hassle

Also here’s the post that reminded me of this: /r/MadeMeSmile/comments/gg49s4/an_nyc_plant_bro/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 28, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jenna hosed around and (her plants) found out

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

:wtc: :nms:

TIFU by admitting to my girlfriend that I pretend she is a giant cockroach when we have sex.

quote:

Ever since I was a teenager I have had very intense fantasies about having sex with a giant roach.

It started in 9th or 10th grade when we read The Metamorphisis by Franz Kafka. As I started to think more and more about the roach creature that the character had become, I started to imagine what it would be like if a woman turned into the roach instead. I found this idea very arousing. I would not be repulsed or frightened of her, as the characters in the story are. I would take care of her. Then my thoughts started to get sexual with the character.

Eventually I sort of dropped the bit about her having been a human woman first, and I kind of imagined this fictionalized roach species. They are giant roaches, the size of a person, and have complete intelligence. I kind of over time conjured up an "imaginary friend" of sorts. She was one of these roaches and her name was Ogtha. I would fantasize about her often. Whenever I masturbated I'd be imagining elaborate scenarios of me and Ogtha making love.

When I started to have actual sex, I found I could not, uh...perform, if I wasn't thinking of Ogtha. So basically now, anytime I have sex with a woman, I am pretending that she is actually Ogtha. Not just think about Ogtha, I concentrate intently to visualize that I actually am doing Ogtha. I don't want to think about the girl at all. There is only Ogtha.

Of course this sex can never be as exciting as my fully imaginary sessions with Ogtha, there are things that her multiple appendages and antennae allow for that a human woman can never match.

So anyways, I've been in a relationship with my girlfriend for about a year. 3 or 4 times I have tried to have sex with her and not pretend she is Ogtha, but I just can't do it. So essentially every time we have sex I am imagining she is Ogtha.

I finally confided this to her the other day, and I was blown away by her reaction. I thought she might take it a bit badly at first but that she'd get used to it. No. I have never seen such a look of disgust before. Outraged is not an understatement. She is not even returning my texts now.

I am afraid she is actually going to break up with me and also that is going to tell people about Ogtha. I don't know how I will face anyone. This is going to sound silly but I also feel guilty about feeling shame, as if Ogtha will be saddened by this, even though I "know" she is imaginary. I just don't know what to do at this point.

Update:

quote:

5 years ago I submitted the story of me telling my then-girlfriend that when we made love I was envisioning her as a giant roach: https://np.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2i7jid/tifu_by_admitting_to_my_girlfriend_that_i_pretend/

The gist of the backstory is that ever since I was a teenager I have fantasized in my head of making love to a giant roach, a roach the size of a person. Eventually I concocted an entire backstory and personality for this "imaginary" roach, who I named Ogtha. Whenever I would engage in private pleasurable deeds (if you know what I mean), I would imagine in my head vivid and elaborate scenarios with Ogtha. It got to be I could not perform with an actual partner unless I pretended they were Ogtha.

You might think of the scene in Blade Runner 2049 (which my original tifu predates by the way) where the main character makes love to a prostitute, but his hologram girlfriend kind of holograms over the body of the actual person, so he can "pretend" he is making love to his hologram. That is what it was like with me and Ogtha, but instead of a hologram it was just my imagination.

In the 5 years that have passed since this topic was posted, I decided to stop fooling myself and I just committed to the love of Ogtha. I know she is not "real" per se, but in my head she is an actual personality. And I am in love with that personality. I don't care if she is a roach or if she is "imaginary", the love is real. Call me deluded, but it's harmless, it makes me happy. I have not had a real girlfriend again since that incident 5 years ago, but occasionally I have had one-night stands via online apps (with the understanding of it being one night in advance), and on these times I always envision the woman is Ogtha, my sensual roach queen.

Now, I mean no offense to the women of course, and even a gentlemen once or twice (the many appendages of Ogtha make translation to human gender almost irrelevant), I just envision they are Ogtha. And no, ha ha, I have never confided to them about it! I learned my lesson.

The thing about it though is that I became so in love with my Ogtha that I "married" her. I even did a little ceremony in my living room. I recited my own vows, and she recited hers. I even went on a "honeymoon", which technically you could say was a solo vacation to New Orleans for a week, but in my mind Ogtha was with me the entire time. In my mind I think of her as my wife.

Now here's where I hosed up. I got so used to thinking of her as my wife in my head, that a few months ago at work I nonchalantly said "my wife" in some innocuous sentence. I think it was something like "Oh yeah me and my wife love that show" in regards to Chopped. So now everyone was asking me about my wife, because they had never heard I was married or even dating anyone. Everyone kept pestering me. Wanting to know about her. Wanting to see pictures.

I became full of panic. I did the one thing I swore I would never do again. I talked to other people about Ogtha in real life.

We were at a team lunch, and I just let it all spill out. I told them about how I became enamored as a teenager with the Franz Kafka story, how my "fantasy" evolved into an actual "imaginary" entity with a personality, and how I slowly began to grow in love with her. What started as a mere sexual attraction to giant roaches blossomed into a whirlwind romance, and that she became the love of my life, even though her existence was in my own mind. At first they thought I was doing a creepy joke, but I convinced them I was telling the truth. Well, they were afraid and disgusted.

I have been a pariah at work ever since. Everybody steers clear of me, we used to have a good social life, now people only speak to me for work related reasons. Even working virtually now, nobody sends me a Slack message unless it is about work. I even heard a rumor that people went to HR, but they were of course told nothing could be done. I have lost my good work friends because of this and it is indeed jeopardizing my career, because my bosses think I am insane. I have ruined my friendships and future career prospects due to my honesty.

I am thinking of starting to look for a new job, although it is difficult in the current environment. I can start fresh elsewhere though. No matter what, I will be staying with my wife, Ogtha. For me, it is Ogtha Forever. If you must know, I do hope that even if I am an old man, that one day the technology is invented to extract the Ogtha personality from my mind and implant it into a real external body, either of a genetically engineered or a mechanical nature, and me and Ogtha can then experience genuine physical connection. But if she must remain within me, that is fine. Her love keeps me warm on the coldest of nights!

Thank you.

TL;DR - I foolishly told my co-workers that my wife is an "imaginary" giant roach and now they don't like me anymore and my career is in shambles.

UPDATE 2 (another year later)

quote:

TIFU by telling my parents that I am married to an "imaginary" giant roach (my beloved Ogtha)

A few of you may recall some years ago I posted about my lovely Ogtha, you can find in my post history. My new story requires an explanation of Ogtha for those who don't know, I will try to be brief.

Basically, many years ago as a teenager I became fascinated with the Kafka story "The Metamorphisis", and I began to fantasize about a character like that, but a woman. Essentially, a giant roach. I found this very erotic. As time went on, the character became a member of a "fictional" roach species, basically giant intelligent roaches, and this one specifically was Ogtha. For several years Ogtha was just an "imaginary" figure to me, but as time went on she became a fully sentient being that I fell in love with. Ogtha, to me, is a real creature, she simply lacks a physical body in our world and her consciousness resides in my mind alongside my own. The users of r/tulpas helped me realize there is nothing delusional about this, and that indeed, it is very possible for such entities to come into being. I do hope that one day the technology will exist to "extract" Ogtha from my mind and install her into an artificial physical body, but we are satisfied with our current relationship.

I love Ogtha and she loves me. Some time ago, I married her. Now, from a strictly legal sense, no I am not "married" per se, but for me and Ogtha we consider our relationship to be a marriage. I am devoted to her, and her to me.

I revealed this to my co-workers and it did not go well. But, I thought my parents had a right to know.

Last evening I revealed to them everything about Ogtha, and told them we were married. I even allowed Ogtha to speak through me to them, so that she could finally meet my parents after only seeing them from afar.

I knew my parents would find it unusual at first, but I thought they would come to understand and be happy for me. However, I fear they think me deranged. My mother actually cried, and not tears of happiness as I expected. They even encouraged me to seek counseling. I explained to them that what I am experiencing is real, and encouraged them to read through the tulpa reddit.

It has created a very bad situation for me and now I fear my relationship with my parents is quite ruined. They keep insisting I seek counseling, and are threatening if I don't they will no longer assist with my student loans and will not be welcome at Thanksgiving. I feel they are overreacting, but at the same time I wish I had just kept my marriage a secret. I do consider it now to be a gently caress up to have been truthful with my parents. They are in some ways traditionalists and are simply not ready to understand how entities can exist without physical form and share a mind. It breaks my heart but I wish I had been deceitful with my family.

For the record, I will never divorce Ogtha, and with our love I know I can survive anything, but I wish I had never been truthful with my parents.

TL;DR - I told my parents about Ogtha, my "imaginary" roach wife, and they are very upset about it indeed.

Next post is going to be an alpha chad-cockroach cucks him, calling it now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What a Kafkaesque situation.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i support this wonderful couple

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Still less hosed up than incels

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for screaming at husband and forcing my son to pay for his boyfriend medical bills out of his college fund?

quote:

My husband against my wishes decided to get our oldest "Bryan" (16M) a motorcycle for his 16th birthday a few months ago so they could go riding together. It was a surprise last minute gift that I didn't know about. They also apparently went and got his license for it behind my back.

I couldn't just take it from him without looking like the bad guy since he already had it so I laid down strict rules. He was supposed to only ever drive the speed limit and he could only drive it with his dad around and he was supposed to have no passengers on it.

Me and my husband are separated right now and he's staying in a nearby apartment until we figure out what we're doing with our marriage. Bryan stays with me a week and stays with his dad the next week. Last Friday while Bryan was at his dad's I get a call from the hospital saying him and his boyfriend "Clark" ( 15M) had been in an motarcycle accident. I rush down to the hospital and find Bryan and he's kinda banged , a gash on his forehead ,some cuts and bruises and a concussion. I asked him what happend and he wouldn't look at me until he finally got up the neve to tell me they wrecked on his motorcycle while he was taking Clark home from baseball practice and decided to street race some other guy. He lost control of his bike and they flipped over.

Now I was steaming and asked why the hell he was out riding his motorcycle without his dad and why he would of doing something so stupid especially riding with someone else. He started crying saying he was sorry and that he just wanted to know if Clark was OK. I went to check and found Clark's parents who were pissed and they told me that Clark had broken a few ribs and his leg and two of his fingers. I promised to take care of the medical bills which calmed them down some.

My husband showed up and tried to explain and apologize for letting Bryan ride around with his bf and I just went off on him in the middle of the hospital yelling at him that this is the reason why we were separated and that he was an irresponsible parent who never took anything seriously. I went to talk to Bryan still mad and told him that he'd be paying for all of Clark's medical bills out of his college fund and any money he'd been saving. Since then I've been getting calls from my husband and my inlaws about how I was being a b***tch to my husband and that I shouldn't possibly be taking college away from Bryan because of a mistake. AITA?

This is how not to be the fun parent. And how to possibly never drive again because the insurance, dear gods.

AITA for locking my husband out of our room after he scared me?

quote:

My husband came home from his trip early to surprise me and our kids. I came downstairs to get a glass of water at around 3am and I wasn’t aware he was home.

I was half asleep and not really paying attention so when he hugged me from behind and said hello it scared the poo poo out of me and I broke the glass I was holding. My husband found it funny and cute which upset me. We ended up arguing because he kept laughing at me so I told him to sleep in the guest room because he was a jerk.

When I went back to our room, I locked the door. He kept knocking and asking me to open the door but I wouldn’t even when he was getting upset.

AITA?

This is how you get shot by people who don't think a surprise behind-me grab at 3am is a good idea.

AITA for celebrating my late husband's birthday with our daughter, in front of my boyfriend?

quote:

My (39f) husband passed away in 2013, at that time we'd started trying for a baby. I found out I was pregnant after and our daughter "Kylie" is 8 now. I've slowly started dating again and have been with "Rick" (41m) for almost a year. We don't live together but he's getting some renovations done at his place so stayed at mine for a few days (it's finished now so he's gone back).

Every year, me and Kylie "celebrate" my late husband's birthday. I buy a cheap cake and put some candles on it, we sing "happy birthday to daddy" and Kylie blows out the candles. Usually I order in pizza or buy her McDonald's for dinner. His birthday was a couple of days ago and Rick was there. As usual, I bought a cake and me and Kylie did our little thing and I ordered pizza for all of us. Rick seemed okay with it and was laughing along with Kylie, but he later told me that what I was doing is hurtful to not only him but to Kylie. I honestly was confused so I asked what he meant, he said that 1 I was disrespecting our relationship by celebrating another guy's birthday in front of him and 2 Kylie's getting older and she eventually needs to understand her dad is dead. I thought this was pretty stupid, she's well aware he's dead but she still likes celebrating his birthday. Rick insisted what I'm doing is toxic in the long run. AITA?

And this is the hill you choose to die on. Another guy's birthday cake.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

AceClown posted:

I'm leaving it up to tw and Corky to decide when this gets rebooted

The decision for the other ones were they were like 3+ years old and, since they're pretty image heavy, links began to become broken. Because of that, we decided that those threads should be rebooted into something new

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for "banning" my wife from putting up a TV in our living room? TL;DR: it would destroy the vibe I'm going for in the room.

quote:

This is so hard to just start...

so basically, I am much more into interior decoration and design than my wife. To me every room should have a theme or a vibe that is 99.99% consistent. It's not just my desire or style, there are studies that show that people are happier and healthier if the live within a consistent space.

Our agreement was that my wife could have one room in the house that would be "her's" the rest is mine.

About six months ago I found the most insane, intact spotless 70's era living room in an auction house. The lady who passed away basically decorated the room in 1974 then no human set foot in there for almost 50 years. When I say it was spotless...I mean it was spotless. I bought everything down to the shag carpeting and spent about a month reconfiguring it to fit within our living room--down to the lamp shades and hanging chains. The colors are bright and vibrant...its beautiful,

I had to go out of town and I got home and my wife had hung a 70 inch flat screen tv in that room. It destroyed everything I was trying to do in that room. I know reddit will make fun of me (maybe) but a modern TV does not fit with my room. In fact it killed it.

I took the TV down and said she could put in her room and we have been fighting about ever since. She thinks my living room "sucks" (her words). I say she should stick to her agreements.

I will go with whatever this sub says and not argue. Is my position here making me the rear end in a top hat?

Can't you understand, I'm trying to improve your life by dedicating this room to the stupidest looking decade! It's just good science!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If being decorated in 1974 means a room had a consistent and authentic 70s theme, won't his wife's room have a consistent 2020s theme automatically?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

AITA for "banning" my wife from putting up a TV in our living room? TL;DR: it would destroy the vibe I'm going for in the room.

Can't you understand, I'm trying to improve your life by dedicating this room to the stupidest looking decade! It's just good science!

"Live in a consistent space" surely means "make your whole house a circus of Themed Rooms that you can't really use for their normal purpose," right?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
My grandparents bought their house in the 1970s and never updated it. Orange shag carpeting, original wallpaper, all that

Those memories are very special for me but hot drat was that an ugly decade

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
More like a dying room.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

This guy is under the illusion he has good enough taste to be an interior designer. He does not. A 70's themed living room with
old shag carpet is hilariously awful.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't know, I wish they would bring back sunken living rooms.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for celebrating my late husband's birthday with our daughter, in front of my boyfriend?

And this is the hill you choose to die on. Another guy's birthday cake.

He's getting into a pissing contest with a dead man because he thinks he will win. Whenever ono of these
clowns throws out the disrespect card I know he's the AH

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hughlander posted:

:wtc: :nms:

TIFU by admitting to my girlfriend that I pretend she is a giant cockroach when we have sex.

Update:

UPDATE 2 (another year later)

Next post is going to be an alpha chad-cockroach cucks him, calling it now.

this is giving some serious tulpa vibes if anyone remembers that back when internet people were manufacturing imaginary friends to cure their crushing loneliness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

blatman posted:

this is giving some serious tulpa vibes if anyone remembers that back when internet people were manufacturing imaginary friends to cure their crushing loneliness

You missed this part:

quote:

The users of r/tulpas helped me realize there is nothing delusional about this, and that indeed, it is very possible for such entities to come into being.