Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

so, uh, anyone playing the game today

how's it going

I do frontline 3 out of each 4 days. There's not a lot else going on in eorzea until 6.2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Antivehicular posted:

how's it going

I'm in my "maintenance mode" which is hitting some daily and weekly stuff to level up jobs.

And then I'll run trusts for TT cards until my wrist hurts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Antivehicular posted:

how's it going

I just cleared PVP rank 25 for the season so now i'm done with that grind so I'm free to go back to grinding trust levels for the title.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I did the samurai 60-70 quests and did not like them. It's really bizarre that in an expansion all about being pro revolution, the big new class questline is all about helping the cops stop a revolution. The story tries to justify this by saying that their revolution would only lead to more bloody and pointless conflict, but I don't see any reason the same argument couldn't have been applied to Ala Mhigo or Doma's revolutions without the benefits of hindsight. There were some hints that the leader of the rebels didn't have any intention to create a better society, only wanting to kill the people in charge and leave the people in anarchy, but 1. I don't see how that is worse than the current oppression that was fully admitted to and 2. that was not the reason being given by the protagonist of this story for why they were bad. It ends with the lesson that if you simply work within the system, progress will be made slowly but steadily over the course of several lifetimes, which is just a complete loving lie that anybody paying attention to our current global political situation should be able to tell you.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

sirtommygunn posted:

but 1. I don't see how that is worse than the current oppression that was fully admitted to and 2. that was not the reason being given by the protagonist of this story for why they were bad.

It's worse because you end up in the same lovely position you're in now but with a bunch of dead people on both sides, plus civilian casualties.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's worse because you end up in the same lovely position you're in now but with a bunch of dead people on both sides, plus civilian casualties.

Tons of civilians are dying all the time under the current system, the lords starve the peasants and kill anyone who speaks out, as well as the families of those people. This is fully admitted to by the pro-state faction. The result of our intervention is that there is a bunch of dead people on both sides, but the bad guys are still in charge and the only people who had the power to change anything are dead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sirtommygunn posted:

I did the samurai 60-70 quests and did not like them. It's really bizarre that in an expansion all about being pro revolution, the big new class questline is all about helping the cops stop a revolution. The story tries to justify this by saying that their revolution would only lead to more bloody and pointless conflict, but I don't see any reason the same argument couldn't have been applied to Ala Mhigo or Doma's revolutions without the benefits of hindsight. There were some hints that the leader of the rebels didn't have any intention to create a better society, only wanting to kill the people in charge and leave the people in anarchy, but 1. I don't see how that is worse than the current oppression that was fully admitted to and 2. that was not the reason being given by the protagonist of this story for why they were bad. It ends with the lesson that if you simply work within the system, progress will be made slowly but steadily over the course of several lifetimes, which is just a complete loving lie that anybody paying attention to our current global political situation should be able to tell you.

it is extremely explicit that the villain doesn't want to build a new society, but wants a return to the warring states era. The reason this is unequivocally bad is that the warring states era was, given our frame of reference for the real world one, a hell on earth that lasted over a century and is one of the worst civil wars in human history. It is absolutely a worse situation than having a corrupt government that keeps the local warlords from throwing hands again This is also the explicit reason the protagonist says the villain is bad so I dunno what you mean there.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The rebel leader does not ever state he wants a return to the warring states era, that is something our cop protagonist simply insists will be the inevitable result of his actions. We must take her at her word that she is right or the narrative falls apart

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

sirtommygunn posted:

Tons of civilians are dying all the time under the current system, the lords starve the peasants and kill anyone who speaks out, as well as the families of those people.

A civil war with the intention of killing a bunch of people, and best case scenario keeping with the status quo, is still worse than just the status quo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

A random, chaotic uprising with no explicit political program behind it is not a revolution, and it tends to lead to untold suffering instead of any kind of meaningful change. There's a very good reason that Lenin and the Bolsheviks put such a high emphasis on the creation of a vanguard party with a firm ideological line and a ruthless persecution of dissent, because a civil war without it leads to either the reaffirmation of the previously existing order or fractured warlordism.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
not to extremely obviously divert the conversation away from the black bars with lenin namedrops behind them, but this is the first time i've been at max with a mogtome event happening and is there any rewards i should particularly prioritize? i think they're all cosmetic, with some triple triad cards i might want to grab before they go away?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Starting a bloody civil war also seems like a pretty good way to get the Garleans showing up and deciding you're not a sovereign nation anymore, too. They're admittedly focused on the western front at the moment, but rolling over a divided and scattered Hingashi wouldn't be that hard -- it might mean declaring war on the Ruby Sea Confederates, but they're halfway there already.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

flatluigi posted:

not to extremely obviously divert the conversation away from the black bars with lenin namedrops behind them, but this is the first time i've been at max with a mogtome event happening and is there any rewards i should particularly prioritize? i think they're all cosmetic, with some triple triad cards i might want to grab before they go away?

Honestly, I'd just buy what you think looks cool? The earring is likely to be event-specific, so probably the only missable thing, but a lot of the rest is acquired via obnoxious grinding and is worth grabbing if you can. I'm probably gonna prioritize mounts.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

flatluigi posted:

Generally only one thing is restricted to the moogle tometone event. Mameshiba Earring this time, I think. Everything else is from other permanent sources - generally trials or tribes - and they're generally pretty easy to farm, so there's not much worry about FoMo here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

It was almost worth it but now I have to go grind Swallow's Compass to get a mask to finish out hte set.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also for full context on the Samurai plot that you may have forgotten the Hingashi Warring States period was literal recent memory. Musosai, the guy who trained you originally, fought in it. The nation barely has a lid on re-igniting the bloodiest period of history they ever had, at a time where they want to portray stability and neutrality to a global superpower.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

flatluigi posted:

As someone who's almost done with the TT grind, get those.

Maps aren't a bad idea, I think. There's only one mount in this set I don't have, absolutely crazy to me how much stuff I've cleared since the last one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

flatluigi posted:

eScape is a pretty pricey orchestrion roll normally if you have a hankering for music collection, and the Behemoth stuff is a pain in the rear end to get nowadays if they suit your fancy, so both are good options.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

sirtommygunn posted:

The rebel leader does not ever state he wants a return to the warring states era, that is something our cop protagonist simply insists will be the inevitable result of his actions. We must take her at her word that she is right or the narrative falls apart

there are not a lot of ways to interpret her saying "if you do this Hingashi will be plunged into another Age of Blood" and the dude responding to her face with "yeah, good lol"

e: ugetsu even opens up the conversation with "hingashi has been at peace for too long" the man is not a heroic revolutionary

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Some people pointed it out already but yeah the questline is basically an essay about the tokugawa bakufu. I'm not saying it's a good essay, or that final fantasy really should have been the venue for that essay, but westerners are often missing the context needed to talk about it on its own terms

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I might buy some Behemoth gear too. I don't think I've ever seen that FATE pop.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No Mods No Masters posted:

Some people pointed it out already but yeah the questline is basically an essay about the tokugawa bakufu. I'm not saying it's a good essay, or that final fantasy really should have been the venue for that essay, but westerners are often missing the context needed to talk about it on its own terms

Yeah, the initial trainer for the Samurai questline, as I said, literally talks about the recent bloody warfare that was going on, that he participated in even as a young man.

Then the 60-70 stuff has the potential to re-ignite that warfare, which is treated as a bad thing directly related to your original master's teaching.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I might buy some Behemoth gear too. I don't think I've ever seen that FATE pop.

It's one of the FATEs that doesn't show up on the map, and that zone tens to be pretty empty nowadays, so it's easy to miss it if you're not camping it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

None of that stuff changes the fact that the Samurai plot line is still poo poo.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I kept trying to make responses but I couldn't come up with any argument that I was happy with so I'll just shut up and go to bed.

Regy Rusty posted:

None of that stuff changes the fact that the Samurai plot line is still poo poo.

To be fair I don't think the quality is what they're defending.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hanging out with musosai was cool, shame about the 60-70 SAM questline.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I'm happy for that bun if they are

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

photos taken moments before disappearing into the gaol

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

So what happens if you get forced to change your name in GM Gaol, anyway? Do you get to choose, or do you just get something random? I was talking about this the other night and referred to it as "getting GenericHero-ed" (City of Heroes would change offensive character names to GenericHero and a string of numbers), but I realized I have no idea how it even works in FF14.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A bit late, but people tripped one of my favorite pointless facts to bring up:

Nessus posted:

It would be nice if they had more/any Duskwight NPCs of course, I can't think of any unless you count Ishgardians (which you probably shouldn't since they're pretty clearly their own thing now)

Indeed, Ishgardians don't count, because they've actually had closed borders since before the Gelmorra/Gridania split, they're their own thing. They just use both Wildwood and Duskwight models for visual variety.

Also, the amount of living, confirmed and named Duskwight NPCs is actually lower than the amount of named NPCs that might've been made Duskwight by mistake. The only one still standing is (Stormblood-onward spoilers I guess) Valdeaulin, the guy fighting 'alongside' Gaius. Meanwhile, in terms of potential accidents we have Mother Miounne (nothing about her except for her model data suggests she's Duskwight), and the villain in the Gunbreaker job quest swaps between a Garlean and Duskwight model due to an oversight.

Even the Ishgardian NPC split is weirdly WIldwood-heavy despite having no reason to be; as far as unnamed randos go it seems to be equal, but in terms of named NPCs the only one with a Duskwight model is Ysayle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

flatluigi posted:

Yeah it's all cosmetic so get what you want. As far as things that are easier through the event...

Lunar Kamuy Fife can be annoying to farm, there's a nice long interlude and if you're undermanning it enough to take time the eclipse mechanic right afterward can still wipe folks who don't take it seriously.
Ufiti Horn, Saintly Style and Winsome Wallflower are all scrip rewards which could be a reason to aim for or skip them depending on your tolerance for that.
Wind-up Elvaan's only from lootbox or a rare drop on one Eureka Fate.
eScape's a rare drop and sounds cool so you can't pick it up cheap off the AH like a lot of music.
Behemoth Gear is from a rare Fate in Coerthas
Qitan Dasheng and Yiazmat are rare drop cards so those may be worth it instead of trying to get them normally. (Yiazmat comes from Ridorana so you may want to throw optimization to the wind, farm Mogtomes there a couple of times and see if you get it).
The cat takes 800 Centurio Seals, but that's not difficult to earn, just a little slow.
Hedgehog is from level 70 treasure dungeons (or a lootcrate, how I got mine), pretty rare and difficult to get these days.

Aside from the earrings nothing is FOMO, but if you really want one of the annyoing ones it may be better to go for it here.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Even the Ishgardian NPC split is weirdly WIldwood-heavy despite having no reason to be; as far as unnamed randos go it seems to be equal, but in terms of named NPCs the only one with a Duskwight model is Ysayle.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Alectryon attacked me out of a cutscene and killed me. I can’t finish this chain until it goes away.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Estinien was a Duskwright in 1.0 too but they changed him to a Wildwood model in 2.0 because… they didn’t want him to be gray I guess?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gah, I've been told this one a couple times and it always slips my mind. Probably because all his kids are fairly obviously Wildwood, so you just assume he is, too.

hopeandjoy posted:

Estinien was a Duskwright in 1.0 too but they changed him to a Wildwood model in 2.0 because… they didn’t want him to be gray I guess?

That I didn't know, but it is weird. There's also a decent amount of NPCs that use Duskwight models; Nael's 1.0 model was a Duskwight in full armor.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Antivehicular posted:

how's it going

There's a few things I could be working towards on my main in theory but I get bored just thinking about it, so they're in send out retainers and squadrons, get a map every day, knock out catbook, custom deliveries, and enclave donation every week mode. I have an alt I play with my partner on another server and I keep plugging away at them. Working to get gnb to 90 (at 82 or 83 as of today's dailies). Which is funny because our msq progress is just unlocked bardams mettle. I play (68) sch when my partner is around though, crap dps means she get's to push more buttons. Have a bunch of quests on him that I should be doing (arr hildi, hw tribe capstone, post moogle) but I have been sidetracked by atelier so I just do frontlines. ldr, kojin dailies and then maybe trials/normal/5678 if I think doing them will finish off a level. Crafters in the 70's, gatherer's in the 80's. but probably won't gear them out since data center travel just means I can make crap on my main and then pass it off.

The only goal I have that I'd like to complete before 6.2 grind some more fates, which is the least boring grind and the most tenable one. Just need 1700 more bicolor gemstones to finish buying the stuff that was added in 6.1. Just in time to probably need another 3000 for whatever they add in 6.2 :negative:. Oh that and to make a bunch of maiming crafted sets that I may use for glams but don't currently have the storage space for, but that's a job of new patch eve.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

There also seem to be an incredibly low number of mooncatboys. I can only think of two (BLM job quest dude and Beast Tribe Discount Zenos)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

how's it going

tonight we nearly passed Death of the Heavens and I called larboard instead of left for a mechanic to keep my static on their toes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Regalingualius posted:

He’s saving revealing his name for whenever he’s about to get killed, because named characters are more likely to survive.
Still a good bit from when Order of the Stick used it. :hmmyes: