Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Just watched ep 7 and the boy that episode sucked.

Also can someone explain where the whole tape thing is going to go? They flashed to it again and it's just so confusing with where that could possibly lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
she's gonna get nixon'd with a tape of larry going to bone town

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

tokin opposition posted:

she's gonna get nixon'd with a tape of larry going to bone town

Yeah, but proving that her husband is gay and lied about it doesn't actually put her in much peril. And based on her reaction to Larry lying about it I doubt they're going to be able to Clinton her by getting her to lie under oath about it.

I wonder if someone is going to get the tapes of the sex and also them discussing the fact that she's gay and try to blackmail her into stepping down. Maybe some conservatives who would prefer the VP as president?

Based on the last episode I'm guessing she would then surprise them by coming out publicly. And then the VP would resign in a fit of gay panic. :lmao:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s too obvious a ticking time bomb. I think they’ll end up having it come into play only when she’s out of office. The conservatives willl renounce her and the libs will call her a traitor. It’ll be looped over her mourning over how little she did for the gays.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The VP will resign because Larry was tempting him to be gay, because he thinks being gay is a choice and he chose to be straight.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is not relevant to the plot of the show but Venus is so much loving easier to colonize than Mars.

You just have to live in floating aerostats…which is loving rad. We could have had Ed fighting carnivorous sky jellies in Cloud City, goddamit.

Thanks for posting this, super interesting read. I would love to see a show about this for the visuals alone. Can't picture what those floating aerostats would look like.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

boquiabierta posted:

Thanks for posting this, super interesting read. I would love to see a show about this for the visuals alone. Can't picture what those floating aerostats would look like.

this is NASA concept art for it

from here:
https://sacd.larc.nasa.gov/smab/havoc/

they also have a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0az7DEwG68A

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

boquiabierta posted:

That 50 mile altitude mark in Venus’ atmosphere is such a Goldilocks zone for human colonization that it’s almost comical. In that atmosphere, oxygen and hydrogen are actually lifting gasses, so you can pressure your giant bubble city with breathable air and you’re good. The math says a 2 kilometer bubble could support 600,000 tons. The pressure outside the bubble is 1/1 with inside, so any breaches would not be immediately catastrophic. A human could actually survive out side the bubble with a proper environmental suit (not full on spacesuit). The gravity is only slightly less than 1G and you’re inside a magnetosphere, so your space babies won’t be elongated, cancer ridden mutants.

It’s a no brainer.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Ellen is going to resign rather than get caught lying under oath and will do the Nixon pose while leaving. Far right VP is going to wreck NASA’s budget after all the Mars disasters. He is going to be pro oil and coal, setting back the planet…until next season.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

w00tazn posted:

Just watched ep 7 and the boy that episode sucked.

Also can someone explain where the whole tape thing is going to go? They flashed to it again and it's just so confusing with where that could possibly lead.

The Dems subpoena the White House recordings to find evidence of an affair, instead get evidence of Ellen talking about being a lesbian, forcing her to... presumably resign but depending how far along we are when that happens it might just be not stand at the next election.

I am still 100% convinced Ellen will pardon Margo on her way out.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Spacebump posted:

Ellen is going to resign rather than get caught lying under oath and will do the Nixon pose while leaving. Far right VP is going to wreck NASA’s budget after all the Mars disasters. He is going to be pro oil and coal, setting back the planet…until next season.

Haven't they repeatedly stressed that NASA is self funded? Or did you mean, he's going to take their money and spread the wealth?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if we'll get something like Dems threatening Ellen with outing but she just finally goes out there and outs herself.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

Haven't they repeatedly stressed that NASA is self funded? Or did you mean, he's going to take their money and spread the wealth?

I believe you're right. In my head I want to say the lines were NASA is practically self funded now but assume that I misheard. I imagine they can still screw over NASA's funding pretty significantly and divert a lot of the funding to the military. It feels like this season may end on a sadder note than the other ones. I kind of doubt it though because the hopeful tone of of the show.

muscles like this! posted:

I wonder if we'll get something like Dems threatening Ellen with outing but she just finally goes out there and outs herself.

imo it is going to be far right VP, they've gone out of their way to play him up as a shithead a few times.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nihonniboku posted:

The US postal service is self funded and Republicans still hosed with it anyway. In 2006, they forced the USPS to prefund 75 years of pensions. That was the only way they could make the USPS look like it lost money and it still managed to eke by. Don't underestimate a Republican's ability to completely gently caress up a functioning government organization just so they go back to their constituents and say "See? I told you the government doesn't work!" They will probably pass some law that requires NASA to buy some oil tycoon's oil at twice the price. Or appoint a NASA administrator that just gives all the money away to fund bombing Planned Parenthood clinics.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Good point. Republicans do like to gently caress things up intentionally

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC there was some discussion earlier this season about how the government wants to start taking NASA money for other departments because they're self funded.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC there was some discussion earlier this season about how the government wants to start taking NASA money for other departments because they're self funded.

Pretty sure Margo mentioned something about siphoning off some cash to Nelson/the military as part of her plea to get Sergei to the US as well.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Nihonniboku posted:

Good point. democrats do like to gently caress things up intentionally

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
In this timeline, NASA was allowed to patent its technological innovations and make money through licensing it to the private sector. The other departments of the gov’t are pissed because Margo is basically Scrooge McDuck. She’s earned resentment because she’ll do stuff like bargain with making a fighter jet project a “joint NASA venture” to get something she wants from the Air Force.

Gotta watch the boring stuff, too.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Show sucks now, confirmed. Could have been a cool episode a la the Martian where they work through a series of engineering and communication problems. Instead all of the actual engineering problem solving happens off screen and all we get is dramatic dialogue.

gently caress this show for squandering what season 1 gave us. This is now a Friday or Saturday show, not a must-watch on Thursday night show

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Enjoyed the new episode and excited to see how they close out the season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blue squares posted:

Show sucks now, confirmed. Could have been a cool episode a la the Martian where they work through a series of engineering and communication problems. Instead all of the actual engineering problem solving happens off screen and all we get is dramatic dialogue.

gently caress this show for squandering what season 1 gave us. This is now a Friday or Saturday show, not a must-watch on Thursday night show

Yeah, it was another pretty boring episode. What's going on? Are the rumors that the showrunner left true? This was my favorite show, but it seems like as they move further and further away from actual history, they don't know what to do.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mars baby inbound!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

withak posted:

Mars baby inbound!

Yeah, that was pretty predictable from the start.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, it was another pretty boring episode. What's going on? Are the rumors that the showrunner left true? This was my favorite show, but it seems like as they move further and further away from actual history, they don't know what to do.

IDK about the show runner but I had heard during S2 RDM was not going to be as involved going forward since he had some other show starting.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Abortion

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I liked that episode? Goons too critical confirmed, idk how half the things you complain about are any worse than like, gordo in season 1 or 2 being allowed to do like anything

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I liked this episode a lot more than the previous one. Still not exactly their A-game, but I have hope for the finale again. Are we doing spoilers still for the latest ep in the thread? I'll do spoilers.

The vastly reduced amount of Earth drama certainly helped, and what little of it there was, was... Pretty okay? The Other Fail-sons tantrums were a bit dumb, as is everything about the anti-vaxxerloonie plot, but Other Fail-son straight up told Karen that she was an abusive, selfish bitch and Karen just mostly shrugged and was 'yeah that's fair'. Margo drama was absent aside from a single exchange, and Big Love was made out to be a bit more sympathetic by pulling a lava tube out of his rear end in a top hat.

Ellen's drama was OK, Pam left it a bit open and Ellen threw Larry straight into the dog-house, so good on her. I'm still expecting some dramatic westwing-esque end to her presidency, presumably viz LGBT rights things, but I can live with it because of that ridiculous Nixon portrait. :allears:

The Mars drama was pretty good! We got a whole load of fresh corpses (or freeze-dried corpses I guess), the ridiculous lava tube thing was fun, and some of the astronauts got over their petty bullshit, at least temporarily. Danny and Ed's little heart-to-heart was ehhh, but it is the message we've been fed throughout the series (for Ed) and this season. And Danny was saved by the boom :haw:

Future stuff: The Helios computer geek died, so does anyone actually know that Danny hosed up besides Danny? Going forward he might do more cRaZy poo poo now that he doesn't think he has hours to live. The Russians are plotting to secretly abort Mars Baby? Comically evil for the sake of being comically evil, I guess. :ohdear:

They also said at the start that they're all stuck on the Martian surface now (?), so I guess losing half the people again helps with the limited supply situation.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I liked the episode but I really had to fight the urge to skip past the Failson Stevens scenes.

Edit: They should absolutely abort the Mars baby. Having unprotected sex on a mission to Mars is so wildly unprofessional it's the kind of thing that could legitimately set back women's rights.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 29, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Edit: They should absolutely abort the Mars baby. Having unprotected sex on a mission to Mars is so wildly unprofessional it's the kind of thing that could legitimately set back women's rights.

Yeah having the baby would be beyond Danny stupid, but the comically evil bit is the Russians being all clandestine and "we must inform the MOTHER SHIP Politbyro first" etc. instead of just confronting Kelly. She's a scientist, she would (should?) intellectually understand there isn't really a choice here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's twice now Danny has been on the verge of confessing something important when he was bailed out by circumstance

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
The show weirdly succeeded at making me feel a little sympathy for Danny (one of the worst people to exist) when he explained how he felt responsible for Shane's death and he's just trying to do all this space stuff out of some weird obligation.

Still, this episode was a remarkable feat of keeping me somewhat interested in the fate of two people whomst I truly do not care whether they live or die.

We're not even in the 2000s yet and technology is sufficiently advanced that Mars hospitals seem like they might give better healthcare than 2022 Earth hospitals.

Going by the general rules of how TV works, Kelly is 100% gonna have that baby. and since this isn't the kind of show that would kill a martian baby, that baby's gonna grow up to be the next incarnation of Ed Baldwin

Also, is Apple TV+ bad at streaming content? I'm on fiber but I got hella buffering / low quality video problems until I gave up and torrented it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I enjoyed this episode way more than last, but I do want to point out a blocking decision that was absolutely bizarre.

Right at the end of the episode, Ed wakes up and finds Danielle sitting next to him reading a bible. She gently teases him by saying it's good if he feels like poo poo because that means he is alive. The camera movement and sudden change in audio then reveals that literally 5 feet away the ENTIRE time Kelly has been sobbing dramatically over her dead boyfriend while everybody stands around sadly watching. Apparently Danielle just got bored and decided to read the Bible and then hit Ed with some trademark banter while all this was going on?

One thing I really liked was Failson accurately noting that Karen used Danny, which I'm glad she finally got called out on because holy gently caress lady.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Jerusalem posted:

I enjoyed this episode way more than last, but I do want to point out a blocking decision that was absolutely bizarre.

Right at the end of the episode, Ed wakes up and finds Danielle sitting next to him reading a bible. She gently teases him by saying it's good if he feels like poo poo because that means he is alive. The camera movement and sudden change in audio then reveals that literally 5 feet away the ENTIRE time Kelly has been sobbing dramatically over her dead boyfriend while everybody stands around sadly watching. Apparently Danielle just got bored and decided to read the Bible and then hit Ed with some trademark banter while all this was going on?

That was pretty weird, yep. My head canon is Danielle is very used to annoying nearby noises and/or Kelly had been crying for an hour already. But still weird.

Maybe I'm misremembering season 1 here, but was the contractor that Dev's dad worked for the same one blamed for the Saturn V explosion in the report that Margo delivered from Werner von Braun to the NASA administrator? Didn't she go along with burying that report in exchange for the flight director job? I guess they fired the contractor anyway. Thought that was a nice little connection at any rate.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

pokeyman posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering season 1 here, but was the contractor that Dev's dad worked for the same one blamed for the Saturn V explosion in the report that Margo delivered from Werner von Braun to the NASA administrator? Didn't she go along with burying that report in exchange for the flight director job? I guess they fired the contractor anyway. Thought that was a nice little connection at any rate.

You are correct. The report she buried showed that inferior parts were used as part of political deal, the production was switched to the district of a congressman whose vote was needed to pass the ERA.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Time to open up Mars' first shmishmortion clinic!!!

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

What happened to nerdy spreadsheet guy?

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I liked the episode but I really had to fight the urge to skip past the Failson Stevens scenes.
Why fight it? I actually value my time, so I skip all the soap opera poo poo and have 15 minutes of fun space show each week.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mustache Ride posted:

He was the first corpse the Soviet lover boy found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Sivart13 posted:

Also, is Apple TV+ bad at streaming content? I'm on fiber but I got hella buffering / low quality video problems until I gave up and torrented it.

It's mostly fine for me with other shows, but I do seem to get a lot of audio/visual desync issues with this show specifically for some reason.

Mustache Ride posted:

RIP Nick. Saved by Stevenses on the Moon and then killed by one on Mars.