Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1552455358131539969?s=21&t=3itlmo7Xxov_FPXZ_QuABg

:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nightdive is one of the best things to happen to retro FPS games

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Easy peasy:
Duke3D
Half-Life
Unreal Tournament
Blood
Doom II

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they're probably handling heretic, hexen and redneck rampage. that's my guess

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm playing Ashes 2063 and now that I'm getting into it it's real good. And the soundtrack fucks severely. Would recommend.

I'm also using it to test out the Doom mod I've been working on and I keep finding new bugs as a result, but I think I'm getting close to a release.

What kind of sad person puts Goldeneye on there and not Perfect Dark. And no Descent either?

E: for me, Half-Life, UT99, and Blood¹ are easy picks, but Duke3d vs. Marathon Infinity and Dark Forces vs. Doom 2 vs. Marathon 2 are all hard picks, especially if we're talking just the base game and not the full ecosystem of mods that have sprung up for them.

¹ Despite my nostalgic affection for Q2, Blood has dynamite, the flare gun, and a large supply of cultists and that's hard to compete with.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 28, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think it’s safe to assume that ND is doing Quake 2 eventually.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What would a Quake 2 remaster look like? An RTX version with an art and environment pass?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Quake 2 would be a weird choice IMO. As far as I've seen Nightdive's other releases were about getting the game out of licensing hell and/or updating the tech to be playable on modern systems, and neither of those are really necessary for Quake 2.

It could use a new default configuration that gives it WASD mouselook controls and sets the resolution to something modern and the renderer to OpenGL. I guess while you're at it, replace the CD audio system with playing the music off of the hard drive? A new single player expansion campaign? Unless it was a straight up remake designed to look good with the RTX version that came out a while ago, I can't think of much to add to it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

New console ports would make it worth it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They previously showed interest in doing Dark Forces, and while normally I would say good luck with Disney if it's doing something with one of their IP's, but in this case when it's not really adding new content or anything, it's sort of free money, and Disney does like money. So I wouldn't 100% rule it out.

Edit: The original tweet about it
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1085351093863759872

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would feel epically bad for Lucius if he finally made it to the 1.0 release of the force engine only for nightdive to swoop in with their own paid port

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hmm, lemme try and apply Facts and Logic to this dumb meme list:

• Chasm the Rift was just announced as being handled by another company (General Arcade).
  • Rise of the Triad was announced as being ported to the Switch by some crap dudes, but the project has changed publisher and little has been said since.
  • Night Dive doesn't seem interested in doing any more BUILD games after the Blood stuff.
  • Goldeneye is being done by... someone? Maybe Rare, maybe another studio for Rare.
  • The Marathons are all legally free online already.

Using my incredible powers of precognition (I know nothing and am wildly guessing), I'm gonna guess that Night Dive have taken over the ROTT project and are whipping out something else for Id. Maybe Wolfenstein? There hasn't been a console version of that since the PS360, and there's a lot of improvements that could be made, to say the least.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Kins posted:

and are whipping out something else for Id. Maybe Wolfenstein? There hasn't been a console version of that since the PS360, and there's a lot of improvements that could be made, to say the least.

So with a game as old as Wolfenstein question always comes up, like what does a remaster actually include? Some control stuff yeah, and making it easier to run on modern systems, but after that? It's not like a new physic engine and mouse look is going to add anything.

For anyone here hanging out for a Wolfenstein remaster, sort of curious whats on the wish list of stuff you'd like to see done?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I would pay for a Quake 2 remaster if it adds muzzle flashes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dr_rat posted:

So with a game as old as Wolfenstein question always comes up, like what does a remaster actually include? Some control stuff yeah, and making it easier to run on modern systems, but after that? It's not like a new physic engine and mouse look is going to add anything.

For anyone here hanging out for a Wolfenstein remaster, sort of curious whats on the wish list of stuff you'd like to see done?

An option to use the Mac graphics I guess?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

New console ports would make it worth it.

Quake 2 Switch :pray:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Heretic/Hexen pack?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dr_rat posted:

Automap is compulsory. Game is borderline unplayable these days without it.
Packing in Spear of Destiny and maybe the Mac/Console levels and weapons
Maybe some fun optional visual remixes, like light levels and floor/ceiling textures
A new episode? (But the new maps they made for the easter egg in Youngblood sucked, so maybe not.)
Make the game legally available in Germany for the first time since the laws have changed in recent years
Include whatever behind the scenes material can be excavated from the archives (EGA graphics sheets etc.)

It couldn't be an elaborate high-budget project by its very nature, but there's a few things that could be done to reintroduce an entire genre's Patient Zero.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see a remaster of the original Unreal. Game was really beautiful back then and honestly deserves better than being remembered as some kind of a singleplayer spinoff to UT.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BattleMaster posted:

Quake 2 would be a weird choice IMO. As far as I've seen Nightdive's other releases were about getting the game out of licensing hell and/or updating the tech to be playable on modern systems, and neither of those are really necessary for Quake 2.

Quake II seems pretty ripe for a remaster like the one they released last year of Quake. Not a weird choice at all. Get native widescreen in there, matchmaking, some subtle updates to weapon and enemy models like they did for Quake. The last console version of the thing was on the bonus disc with Quake 4 for the 360, almost 17 drat years ago, it's a pretty conspicuous hole in the id lineup on consoles.

QuakeCon next month!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

I'd love to see a remaster of the original Unreal. Game was really beautiful back then and honestly deserves better than being remembered as some kind of a singleplayer spinoff to UT.

That would involve Epic actually acknowledging Unreal actually existed tho.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Turin Turambar posted:

Heretic/Hexen pack?

I'd love this. Also Heretic 2 desperately needs a remaster

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
is void bastards any good?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ilmucche posted:

is void bastards any good?
It's okay. Looks a million bucks, but it gets repetitive real fast and the later enemies are more annoying than fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's got a limited shelf life, most people don't do a second playthrough after the 30+ ten* hours of the first run, and I'd recommend it on a sale probably.

The trailer might not say so fully, but it's about mastering things in a fps/roguelike sort of way where you do increasingly hard smash & grabs while trying to be clever about things.

edit: yea I must have left the game open or something, it was not 30 hours despite what steam tells me.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 28, 2022

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Release date trailer for neato looking Half-Life 2 mod Entropy Zero 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy0n-JGjHhw

Looks pretty extensive. Devs said there's a full fledge 7 - 8 hour campaign. I'm not so hot on playing as the Combine but I'm sure it goes in some interesting directions given some snippets in the trailer.

Also, Adaca is finally out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1765780/ADACA/

It's worth the money. I love this game. Beat the campaign again to see if there were any significant changes from the previous beta build, and I saw I got a special thanks in the credits for playtesting. :unsmith:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Serephina posted:

It's got a limited shelf life, most people don't do a second playthrough after the 30+ hours of the first run, and I'd recommend it on a sale probably.

The trailer might not say so fully, but it's about mastering things in a fps/roguelike sort of way where you do increasingly hard smash & grabs while trying to be clever about things.

30 hours??? i beat it in like 8-10 hours and was getting pretty bored by the end, it's very fun and tense for the first 4ish hours and unlocking new weapons and gadgets is fun, but once you have a big HP pool and some resurrections ('heart starters') you become functionally unkillable and can start sprinting through levels especially because you rapidly stop caring about ships/nodes (it's got a slay the spire style map) that don't have plot items on them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Foul Fowl posted:

30 hours??? i beat it in like 8-10 hours and was getting pretty bored by the end, it's very fun and tense for the first 4ish hours and unlocking new weapons and gadgets is fun, but once you have a big HP pool and some resurrections ('heart starters') you become functionally unkillable and can start sprinting through levels especially because you rapidly stop caring about ships/nodes (it's got a slay the spire style map) that don't have plot items on them.

yea, edited to fix that. I must have done either a few more runs that I've forgotten about or left the game open or something

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The way it's structured, you don't *have* to progress towards the end of the cycle on any given ship

I did one cycle and that was enough, by then it had gotten pretty samey

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I like Void Bastards but definitely agree with the "10-30 hours" assessments. It's decent but doesn't have the legs of a lot of other Roguelites.

I might have liked it more if there were additional reasons to gently caress with the ship's systems. Like by default, you only need to turn the power on--on occasion, a ship is powered off when you arrive, and you need to power it on. That's it. But it'd be cool if there were reasons to turn the power off, tamper with systems, etc. I want it to feel like I'm actually assessing the layout of a ship and how to board it, where to go first, etc. rather than the rote process of turn power on -> beeline to valuable item -> leave.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

heretic, hexen, hexen 2, heretic 2 all deserve a remaster and more attention. They're good games.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Going through Doom in its entirety for the first time... Slough of Despair really lives up to its name.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

Going through Doom in its entirety for the first time... Slough of Despair really lives up to its name.

There's a town called Slough in the UK and it always makes me think of that. Although the Doom version is too tidy

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I like Void Bastards but definitely agree with the "10-30 hours" assessments. It's decent but doesn't have the legs of a lot of other Roguelites.

I might have liked it more if there were additional reasons to gently caress with the ship's systems. Like by default, you only need to turn the power on--on occasion, a ship is powered off when you arrive, and you need to power it on. That's it. But it'd be cool if there were reasons to turn the power off, tamper with systems, etc. I want it to feel like I'm actually assessing the layout of a ship and how to board it, where to go first, etc. rather than the rote process of turn power on -> beeline to valuable item -> leave.

I feel like Void Bastards missed an opportunity to take inspiration from Cryptark here. For those who haven't played it, it has a similar premise -- you're raiding a series of randomly generated derelict starships full of things that want to kill you. In Cryptark, though, there are loads of possible ship systems and each ship gets a random subset of them, so you have systems for things like:
- powering the turrets
- powering the alarm systems
- repairing other systems you've disabled
- obscuring your minimap
- spawning more enemies
and many more, and a major aspect of each level is looking at what systems the ship has where and planning which ones you can ignore, which ones need to be destroyed and in what order, and what routes you'll take between them.

Now, in Cryptark all the systems are bad for you and the only way you can interact with them is to blow them up, but VB could go further -- have ship systems that are helpful to you but start disabled, hostile to you but start enabled, have effects that are not strictly good or bad but do change how you have to approach matters depending on whether they're on or off, etc. Even systems that don't do anything on their own but change the way other systems work.

God, an FPS version of Cryptark would be so sick. I think Void Bastards is the closest we've gotten to it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Another problem void bastards has is that the maps are uniformly flatter than Doom's. It's not quite as flat as Wolf3D, but there is no real attempt at verticality. Just a few railings and slopes here and there. The enemy AI is very rudimentary as well. It all works together to create gameplay with very little variety or emergent properties.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Mandalore talks Marathon 2 (Bungie's best game :allears: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQaNQ_uePFk

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Mandalore talks Marathon 2 (Bungie's best game :allears: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQaNQ_uePFk

i honestly did not know that frog blast the vent core was from marathon until i watched this

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
myth 1 & 2 are bungies best games :colbert:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ToxicFrog posted:

I feel like Void Bastards missed an opportunity to take inspiration from Cryptark here. For those who haven't played it, it has a similar premise -- you're raiding a series of randomly generated derelict starships full of things that want to kill you. In Cryptark, though, there are loads of possible ship systems and each ship gets a random subset of them, so you have systems for things like:

God, an FPS version of Cryptark would be so sick. I think Void Bastards is the closest we've gotten to it.

Shutup, I just replayed Cryptark the other day. It's such a good game, it's killing me that there aren't more like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Remaster PO'ed