Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
lmao, I forgot Chapman ended up on the aircraft carrier. Now I kinda want to see the series from the POV of a Fox Mulder style government agent trying to piece together why this seemingly unimportant Vice Principal keeps popping up in bizarre locations right before some kind of wild animal attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Just imagining Prince Jake’s eyes doing the mentat thing from Dune as he recites every fact about Nimitz-class carriers

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think we finally found out what Jake's thing is

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Zore posted:

lmao, I forgot Chapman ended up on the aircraft carrier. Now I kinda want to see the series from the POV of a Fox Mulder style government agent trying to piece together why this seemingly unimportant Vice Principal keeps popping up in bizarre locations right before some kind of wild animal attack.

I can't believe I forgot it too. It's enough to make you wonder what would it take for Chapman to snap and Dracon Visser 3 in the back. He'd probably go down too, but he might get a better execution than starvation.

Strategic Tea posted:

I think we finally found out what Jake's thing is

I think it has been hinted that Jake has desperately been reading up on military biographies to get some sort of clue on how the big general is supposed to act.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Capfalcon posted:

I can't believe I forgot it too. It's enough to make you wonder what would it take for Chapman to snap and Dracon Visser 3 in the back. He'd probably go down too, but he might get a better execution than starvation.

My impression of Chapman's Yeerk is that it's one of those people who are blindly obedient and obsequious to anyone more powerful, and tyrannical to anyone with less power.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
You know, in the early books it was pretty clear why Chapman was so omnipresent -- Applegate needed a character who the kids could recognize on sight as a Controller, so when they saw him in a situation they knew immediately that it was a Yeerk thing and not random happenstance. But I think she missed her chance to include a secondary villain to replace him once it became obvious that the series was going to be an ongoing thing. Come up with, like, the Yeerk "cleaner" whose job was specifically to deal with situations in which the Yeerks' cover was in danger of being blown. Play up the MIB tropes that were part and parcel of alien stories in the '90s -- Agent Jones, a nondescript person in a black suit and shades who has all the authorizations and clearances anyone could ask for, can countermand or commandeer any local authority with a word, and can make witnesses disappear without comment. Introduce that character as the villain-of-the-week in one of the early books -- somewhere in the teens, maybe, replace the Amazon or Jonathan Taylor Thomas or Area 51 book -- and then use them as the "oh no, such-and-such has shown up; now we know the Yeerks are in on this" signal going forward.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The other thing about Chapman is that not only do they recognize him, but he recognizes them, so if they ever break cover around him or their secret ever slips, they're doomed. Chapman is kind of like Tom in that way, just less omnipresent, and it makes sense that a lot of the time you saw two Yeerks together near the beginning of the series, it was Chapman and Tom.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I feel like it should really be Tobias' thing to know all about the carrier, since in the past he's been the nerdy/bookish one who came up with facts about dinosaurs and Marine One and Agincourt or whatever.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 11

quote:

We demorphed behind the industrial-size washing machines.

And then …

FWAP!

The sailor on laundry detail would never know what hit him.

Gently, Marco laid him on the floor under a long table and placed a folded sheet beneath his head.

It was decided I would morph the pilot again. A physically fit adult male was a convenient morph for our purposes.

And my own technical knowledge would also be useful.

The others would ride in my pocket as cockroaches. After I borrowed a uniform. The laundry room was obviously the perfect place for that.

“Ah, the glamorous life of a soldier,” Marco said, keeping an eye on the door.

<Not so much worse than the lives of some of the crew on board this carrier,> Tobias said. <Guys who work flight deck get hazardous duty pay on top of their regular sea pay.>

<You see, that’s what I’m saying,> Marco pressed. <What do we get for risking our butts? Nothing. Nada.>

<What about the satisfaction of knowing you’re protecting the freedom of all human beings?> Cassie asked.

<Huh. Well, there is that.>

I have become quite an expert on how to wear human clothing. Though I will never understand or like it.

Dressed and with the others in my pocket, I carefully opened the door and stepped back into the narrow corridor.

<Okay, Ax, you’ve got to find Chapman.>

<Yes, Prince Jake.>

According to Jake, the aircraft carrier had a crew of close to six thousand. This made my presence less likely to be rapidly discovered - as long as I did nothing to attract attention.

However, the sheer size of the carrier and my relative unfamiliarity with its layout made the chances of my finding Chapman before an evil Yeerk plan unfolded less likely.

I walked. And walked.

The aircraft carrier is a very confusing place. There are many long, narrow, gray-tiled passageways that look identical.

And somewhat dangerous. Along the passageways, at seemingly regular intervals, are raised steel thresholds.

Jake informed me they are called “knee-knockers.”

And he warned me to careful not to trip over them, as that would significantly increase the chance of my being discovered and captured.

I am proud to say I did not trip once.

Another strange thing. Most areas of the carrier admit no natural light. Both sky and sea seem far, far away.

For an Andalite, this is an unacceptable design feature. Especially for a craft on which a person must live for long periods of time.

I walked. Stepped aside to let superior personnel pass, kept my ears tuned to snippets of conversation.

And then … bingo. As Marco has been known to say.

“Admiral Carrington … the hangar deck …”

<Prince Jake? I need to find the hangar deck.>

With Jake’s thought-speak directions, I made my way back to the huge hangar deck.

There, I silently joined the crowd of officers gathered around a parked fighter jet. Tried not to call attention to myself.

Hoped the carrier’s personnel would assume I was part of Admiral Carrington’s staff.

That the admiral’s staff would assume I answered directly to the captain of the carrier.

I spotted Chapman at the admiral’s side. Chapman. A leader in the Yeerk front organization, The Sharing. Assistant principal at my friends’ school. A school Tobias and now Marco no longer attended.

I slipped closer to the admiral. He spoke.

“Captain Plummer, why don’t we go to my quarters. There are a few matters I’d like to discuss with you and your senior personnel.” He looked at Chapman and smiled. Turned back to the captain. “My staff and I have brought back something special to share with you. You know how life in the middle of the ocean can get somewhat, uh, dull.”

“Except when the air force dumps one of their jets in your front yard.”

There was a ripple of polite laughter in response.

I informed Prince Jake of our new destination.

Marco laughed. <Bet Plummer’s hoping for a few bottles of expensive whiskey.>

The crowd of officers thinned to about ten men.

Carefully, I followed them back down to the 03 deck, or gallery deck. And to what Jake called the admiral’s “flagship,” or headquarters.

The officers stopped outside a door. I hesitated. There was no way I could enter without being seen and caught.

<Prince Jake, we need to be inside but …>

<Grab two of us and slip us into the captain’s pocket, Ax. Stay close. Whoever gets inside, keep communication with Ax and the others.>

I stepped inside. Carefully reached for two of my friends. Slipped them somewhat clumsily into Captain Plummer’s pants’ pocket.

The captain turned, annoyed.

“I’m sorry, sir,” I said. “I stumbled.”

And then I hurried off down the corridor.

When it was clear the officers had entered the admiral’s quarters, I sidled back up the now deserted, blue-tiled corridor, close to the door.

And listened.

<Ax.> Jake. <Rachel and I are inside.>

Roach senses are weak, far weaker than human senses, for example. But we each have had much experience learning to use the roach’s senses to their fullest.

<Okay, I sort of hear - ripping? Sounds like the captain’s men are opening a box or something. Something large.>

<The admiral was carrying nothing,> I said.

<Maybe someone on the carrier’s crew helped set up whatever’s going down… .>

Silence. Then …

<Weird.> Rachel. <I’m getting confused. Voices raised, kind of fast. Movement …>

<Ax-man! We’ve got guns drawn! Carrington’s a Yeerk!>

<Prince Jake, the gift!>

<Oh, yeah. It’s got to be.>

<A portable Yeerk pool.>

I assume the Yeerk inside is for Captain Plummer.

Chapter 12

quote:

<Ax, we’re gonna try to bail, demorph, and get firepower before the captain’s infested!>

<What should I …>

<We’re off the captain!> Rachel shouted. <But, oh man, I think they’re doing it now… .>

No choice.

I grabbed Marco, Tobias, and Cassie from my pocket. Placed them at the base of the wall.

<Demorph! Now!>

And in full view of whoever might walk down the corridor, I began to demorph. Within seconds the narrow gallery deck corridor was impassable.

Stuffed with a heaving, shifting mass of bodies partially human, alien, and hawk.

“What the … ?”

Two crew members, watching from a few yards down the corridor. Mouths open, backs plastered to the wall.

“Oh, great.”

Cassie, with the natural grace of an estreen, was becoming wolf before I was fully Andalite.

“Please, uh, sirs. Don’t panishh …”

Then she lost her human voice to the morph.

“Sorry, kids,” Marco called to the two sailors. “What my friend was trying to say is that the captain’s in a little trouble. Nothing we can’t handle… .”

The sailors tore off down the corridor.

Screeeek! Screeeek!

My tail blade sliced through the metal of the door around the locks.

Marco, now gorilla, threw his weight against the door.

We were in!

From a tiny closet on the far wall …

A seven hundred pound Siberian tiger burst into the room!

In the gloom of the closet I could see Rachel rapidly becoming grizzly, able to finish her massive morph now that Jake was gone.

“Andalites!” Chapman cried, turning to the admiral. “Visser Two, get down!”

Admiral Carrington did not get down.

Instead, he threw his arms into the air.

“No Andalite will spoil the glorious mission of the great Visser One and his devoted servant!” he cried.

<That’s what you think!>

<Tobias, be careful!>

“Tseeeer!”

One of the admiral’s men dropped to the floor, clutching his face, blood streaming through his fingers.

Insanity ensued.

Blam! Blam! Blam!

Eight of the men in naval uniforms were human-Controllers.

It was easy to tell. They were the ones shooting at us.

Two other officers were lying unconscious across a small couch.

The captain’s men, possibly already infested.

Possibly not.

Captain Plummer was sprawled against the table on which sat the portable Yeerk pool.

It was too late for him but …

With two hands I grasped the rim of the pool and … SPLAAASH!

Overturned it! Slimy liquid sloshed onto the table and floor.

And in the cascade, two Yeerk slugs.

<Ax, try to pull the fight into the hallway!> Jake ordered privately. <We’ll be massacred in here!>I leaped past the gasping captain and into the corridor.

Looked back to see Jake, a gunshot wound on his back, clamp his jaws around a Controller’s wrist. Shake the gun out of it. Smack the man to the ground.

Saw Rachel lift two other uniformed Controllers like they were dolls.

Saw Marco dodge a bullet that would have destroyed his face. Lunge for the shooter. Take him down. Maybe we could do it … save at least the captain’s free men …

Isolate Admiral Carrington. Visser Two.

Take him hostage.

Get away before he sent for reinforcements.

Then, flooding the corridor behind me …

“Up ahead!”

“What the heck is that?”

Free humans, navy and marines, also armed.

Coming to rescue their captain and admiral.

Coming to kill the crazed animals and blue alien creature who threatened their lives!

It was impossible.

We couldn’t protect ourselves.

We couldn’t seriously defend ourselves against these men simply doing their duty.

“Aaahhh!”

Cassie had Chapman by the ankle and was dragging him into the corridor.

<Prince Jake! Reinforcements are on the way. Non-Controllers. We will be slaughtered!>

Jake growled at the Controller who was successfully protecting the angry admiral.

<Okay. Everybody! Get out. Now!>

Visser Two is certainly cocky.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Epicurius posted:

Chapter 12

Visser Two is certainly cocky.

Man, I get Chapman's toadying to his direct superior who can cut his head off at any second, but who is actually a zealot for Visser Three? And when he's not around, even!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Man, I get Chapman's toadying to his direct superior who can cut his head off at any second, but who is actually a zealot for Visser Three? And when he's not around, even!

This has led many people to theorize that the current Visser Two is probably also very newly appointed to the job as well. It doesn't seem likely like Visser Two, someone who until about a week ago outranked Esplin-9466 would exactly be some weird sycophantic fanboy of a guy who had been their inferior for possibly years at this point. And moreover, why didn't they just Iget bumped up to the top job instead of Esplin? It's possible that Edriss going down took a bunch of Yeerks with her as collateral damage, the old* Visser Two among them, leaving the position free to for Esplin to stack the deck with an obsequious toady... No, put your hand down Chapman, not you.

The other option of course is that V2 knows how to read the room like an open book and knows the best strategy for self-preservation now is to embed himself as deep into Visser One's Andalite colon as he can because he knows that motherfucker is Donald Trump level crazy and capricious and will start swinging blades if you dip below 99.99999999999% loyal to him.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 23, 2022

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

bravesword posted:

I think she missed her chance to include a secondary villain to replace him once it became obvious that the series was going to be an ongoing thing. Come up with, like, the Yeerk "cleaner" whose job was specifically to deal with situations in which the Yeerks' cover was in danger of being blown. Play up the MIB tropes that were part and parcel of alien stories in the '90s -- Agent Jones, a nondescript person in a black suit and shades who has all the authorizations and clearances anyone could ask for, can countermand or commandeer any local authority with a word, and can make witnesses disappear without comment. Introduce that character as the villain-of-the-week in one of the early books -- somewhere in the teens, maybe, replace the Amazon or Jonathan Taylor Thomas or Area 51 book -- and then use them as the "oh no, such-and-such has shown up; now we know the Yeerks are in on this" signal going forward.

Epicurius posted:

The other thing about Chapman is that not only do they recognize him, but he recognizes them, so if they ever break cover around him or their secret ever slips, they're doomed. Chapman is kind of like Tom in that way, just less omnipresent, and it makes sense that a lot of the time you saw two Yeerks together near the beginning of the series, it was Chapman and Tom.

I feel like they should have done this during the Aria book. Her being Tobias's "cousin" and Visser Three in morph meant she could have worked with a "detective" to find him, who's a Controller and just that kind of menacing agent-type they keep seeing show up for Big Deals. Plus it would have further traumatized Tobias to keep seeing him, and we know how much this series loves that.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 13

quote:

I ran full out, away from the storming sailors.

Cassie was at my heels.

<In here!> I shouted.

With weak Andalite fingers I grabbed hold of a door handle and pushed.

Together we tore inside. With my back hooves I slammed the door shut.

An office of sorts. Desks, computers, filing cabinets.

One man seated at a console.

Fine. Whatever.

Had to morph. Had to become Joseph Felitti.

“Who are … what are …”

FWAP!

<Is he okay?>

<Yes, Cassie.> I sighed. <Only stunned.>

Speedily, Cassie demorphed and helped me disrobe the enlisted man.

Cassie has strong convictions. She also is usually willing to help get the job done.

Then I morphed the pilot.

While I dressed in the enlisted man’s uniform, Cassie went cockroach.

<What do we do now, Ax? Where do we go?>

I thought. And then it came to me.

The combat information center.

Jake had mentioned it, told us it was on the same deck as the admiral’s quarters.

CIC. The central command and control complex for the aircraft carrier as well as for the entire carrier battle group.

Whatever was going to happen next was likely to happen there. And soon.

<I think I know,> I told Cassie.

And after securing the enlisted man with some available strong tape and a handkerchief as a gag, I stepped out into the corridor.

It was quiet. The Yeerks had restored some semblance of order.

But at regular intervals along the corridor there were now armed guards on high alert. Dressed as navy personnel but undoubtedly Yeerk.

And as I passed two other enlisted men I heard them whisper.

“Bob says he saw a tiger. And LaVerle swears she saw some weird blue deer. They’re being questioned now. I don’t know what the heck happened down here… . “

I did. And I knew what would be happening shortly.

The Yeerks would be making Controllers of the unfortunate witnesses.

I continued to search for my destination, somewhere on this deck.

After ten minutes of purposeful walking, I found it.

The door was closed, guarded by two marines. Without a pass I could not enter.

The door opened and young navy lieutenant stepped into the corridor. Here was my pass.

<Cassie, I am about to commit another ambush,> I warned the roach in my pocket.

<Do what you have to.>

I followed the lieutenant down the corridor to a tiny bathroom. Knocked him out from behind. Locked the door, demorphed, and acquired him. Morphed him.

Dressed in the lieutenant’s uniform, Cassie safely in the lieutenant’s shirt pocket, I left the bathroom.

<We are about to enter the combat information center,> I said privately.

The armed guards nodded, stepped aside, and allowed me to enter. Inside, Admiral Carrington, Visser Two, looking none the worse for the skirmish earlier.

Captain Plummer. Now, a Controller. Perhaps struggling wildly against the slug in his head.

Perhaps not.

And in a corner, watching - Chapman.

The admiral and captain were standing at a screen, watching a flashing blip.

“Sir, we’ve got what appears to be a Chinese ship-to-ship missile. Fast approaching … wait …”

The technician’s voice faded away.

“What else?” the captain barked.

“Sir, another missile, seems to be from the same source. A Chinese sub … I think.”

Why did the technician sound so puzzled? So disbelieving?

What was happening? And what could I do to stop it?

Three minutes.

Only three minutes until the first time stated in the Z-space intercept.

Something pivotal was about to happen. Phase One of Operation 9466.

But what …

Of course.

<Cassie. Who are the Chinese?>

From her hiding place in my shirt pocket, she answered.

<The Chinese? A people. A nation.>

<Are they enemies of the United States?>

<No. Ax, what’s going on? The United States has no serious enemies anymore.>

<Well,> I answered, <it is about to.>

BOOM!

The force of the explosion threw me off my feet.

<Ax! What happened?> Cassie cried, panicked.

I stood and steadied myself against a large console.

<We have been hit.>

And all around me …

It was all moving too fast!

Everyone speaking at once!

“Prepare flight deck for launch. Catapults number one and two …”

” … air group commander …”

“Preparing for launch, sir.”

“Bridge indicates …”

” … the ACDS shows …”

“Damage report!”

“Several fuel-based fires on the flight deck. They have been contained. Minimal damage to the second and third decks. Below fourth deck, no significant damage.”

“Nuclear reactors?”

“Full function.”

“Casualties and fatalities?”

“Chief medical officer reporting five men killed on the flight deck. Causality report form hangar deck …”

<Ax, talk to me!>

<Cassie, we are witnessing an elaborate setup. The Yeerks have just instigated a World War.>

Very 2000 view of China. I think nowadays, The US would probably consider China rivals. But yea, the plot to start WWIII would be bad for humanity, Not great for the Yeerks, but there are enough people that even if a few million die, they're still way ahead of the game.

Chapter 14

quote:

<We have to do something!>

<I’m afraid it might be too late… .>

<Ax! Rachel? Anyone!>

<Prince Jake!>

His thought-speak was dim but understandable.

<Ax, where are you? Are you okay? Who’s with you?>

<I am currently in the combat information center, as are the admiral and captain. Cassie is with me.>

And then I proceeded to tell him what I thought was happening. That, quite possibly, we were present at the start of World War III.

<Ax-man, I’m nowhere near the CIC. It’s up to you. Can you acquire either the admiral or the captain? Reverse the orders to attack. Get the planes and whatever else sent back.>

Impossible!

<I don’t see how. Neither is likely to leave this room, certainly not alone …>

<Do it, Ax. I know you can find a way. I’ll try to establish contact with the others, get us closer to you and Cassie.>

<Prince Jake …> But I knew he was now out of range. <Of course.> I was desperate.

How many of the men and women in that dark and overly air-conditioned room, obeying orders, reading display consoles, assessing damage, communicating with other ships in the battle group, thinking of home …

How many of those brave, dutiful soldiers knew they were involved in a diabolical alien scheme to take over the world?

Yes, I was desperate.

Jake had given me a direct order.

And if I did not find a way to execute that order, in a few short hours, the United States and China would be engaged in a nuclear war.

The beginning of a very ugly end.

<Cassie. Be calm. There will be a loud noise. It will be a gunshot.>

<Ax!>

It was a crazy plan, one Marco undoubtedly would call insane.

However, given the flurry of activity and state of high tension that pervaded the combat information center, there was some chance of its success.

Two marines stood guard inside the room, in addition to those who stood in the corridor. I strode toward the marine who stood to the left of the closed door.

With the force of surprise on my side, I grabbed his arm.

Grabbed his gun. Twisted him around …

And shot Admiral Carrington in the leg.

It was only a flesh wound but it served my purpose.

I punched the stunned marine, pretended to wrestle with him for the gun.

“This man shot the admiral!” I cried.

Silently, I apologized to the man I was accusing.

When one is in human morph, it is hard to remember that the human’s pain is not your pain. It is hard to remain separate.

Pandemonium!

Within seconds the innocent marine was knocked to the ground by two naval men. In their zeal they also knocked him unconscious. Which was unfortunate for him. But necessary for me.

I watched as two white-jerseyed medics rushed in and knelt by the admiral’s side.

“Get off me, you fools!”

“Admiral Carrington, sir, you have to let us help you, sir.”

With the skill and expertise of their profession, the medics lifted the protesting admiral on to a collapsible stretcher and hurried him out of the room.

I stepped out of their path.

In the ensuing commotion, no one asked where I was going. Why I was following the medics and their patient to the hospital ward.

“Hold on, Admiral, sir.”

In the narrow deserted corridor I began to demorph.

Slipped Cassie out of my pocket. Told her to find the others and get them to the admiral’s quarters. If possible.

And then …

FWAP! FWAP!

With a loud thud, thud, the two medics slumped to the floor. The admiral crashed down between their prone bodies.

And before he could shout or struggle to escape - or notice the young girl dashing back the other way - I clapped a hand over his mouth and roughly dragged him into a small room.

“Andalite!” he hissed when I released him. “And I thought Visser One was exaggerating his loathing of you bandits!”

FWAP!

Quickly, I acquired his DNA. Morphed. Dressed myself in his clothes, including the bloody pants. Stashed the unconscious bodies of the two medics in a closet.

Locked the door behind me and headed back to the combat information center.

Adrenaline flooded my human body. I fought it down. I had to be cool and convincing.

I opened the door. Stepped inside the room. “Captain Plummer, recall the planes.”

“Admiral?”

I frowned. A popular human expression that can imply seriousness of purpose and/or displeasure.

“I said, recall the planes, Captain. That’s an order.”

“Sir, with all due respect …” The captain glanced down at the dried blood on my thigh. Then to Chapman. “Are you feeling well, sir?”

“Recall. The. Planes. Or, if you prefer, I will relieve you of your command …” I looked to Chapman. “And then I will deliver you to Visser One as a traitor.”

Chapman’s face went white and he nodded to the captain.

“Yes, Admiral, of course.”

“I will see you in my quarters,” I instructed. “In five minutes.”

So that's good. So long as the real Carrington stays unconscious, Ax might be able to pull this off.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 25, 2022

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Still playing catch up with the thread. Christ, I did not remember EVERY BOOK starting with a full recap of the set up and each main character including physical description and personality overview. There's some merit to seeing each character's POV as they describe the others. It does lead to Jake and Rachel having extremely odd "I'd be into them, but they're my cousin" commentary though. Only on 12 now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

Still playing catch up with the thread. Christ, I did not remember EVERY BOOK starting with a full recap of the set up and each main character including physical description and personality overview. There's some merit to seeing each character's POV as they describe the others. It does lead to Jake and Rachel having extremely odd "I'd be into them, but they're my cousin" commentary though. Only on 12 now.

It was mainly a marketing convention at the time. Because kids could theoretically hop on to the series at any time, they needed a way to get them up to speed. So for returning readers, it gets annoying and repetitive, but for new readers who just started reading the series with the book where they go to Australia, engage in some racist stereotyping off aboriginals and then throw boomerangs at Visser Three, it was a godsend.

Because the main way these books ended up in kids' hands when they were being published was through the Scholastic Book Club, a partnership between Scholastic and schools across the US and Canada where they sent a monthly flyer catalog to students with all sorts of books advertised in them so parents could fill it out and order like five books a month for their kids for like $30 or so. And the top headliners for it were always Goosebumps and Animorphs. So Applegate and Grant always had to keep that in mind when they were writing, especially because they always had to get one book out a month to keep up with the next Scholastic flyer that would come out.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 24, 2022

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yep. I read mine in the order in which they were available in my local library, so it was kinda random.

The current book is actually the first book I read in English (and one of the only two I still own). Unfortunately the last book translated into my language was 20 so I was a bit lost jumping into it but kids don't care. The next one I read was #54 and I still loved it.

I did read everything in order when I was in highschool or in the army. But by then I knew to skip Australia!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 15

quote:

“What the … ?”

The captain and Chapman had good reason to be surprised. Because when they reached the admiral’s quarters they found not only their visser in his underwear, but an Andalite. And a tiger. Gorilla. Grizzly. Wolf. And a red-tailed hawk, perched menacingly on a high shelf.

BAM!

The door shut and locked behind them. Rachel plastered herself against it. No way out.

It was up to me to speak. I addressed myself to Visser Two.

<Your plan has failed, Yeerk. At least, the first stage of your plan. The aircraft have been recalled.>

The visser smirked. “Well done, Andalite. My, you are a smart bunch. But no matter. Recalling the jets will do nothing to halt the next steps of Operation 9466 being taken.”

By this time, I was certain I understood the goal of the visser’s plan. But I wanted to hear the horrid scheme from his own mouth.

And we needed details.

<Explain yourself, Yeerk!> I demanded.

Silence, as Visser Two continued to grin.

<Ax, I could just, you know, tear the slug out of this guy’s head.>

<Thank you, Rachel. But that won’t be necessary.>

To the visser, I said, coldly, <Speak now.>

He sighed dramatically. “I suppose you have waited long and patiently enough for the revelation of my brilliant scheme.”

He stood and stuck out his chest. A strange and somewhat pathetic sight, this thin human male posturing in his underwear.

<We got a whacko here,> Marco commented.

“Here’s how it plays,” the admiral went on. “The non-Yeerk personnel in this carrier group believe we have just been attacked by the Chinese. Which, of course, is a lie. The GW retaliated by sending out several aircraft to bomb a genuine Chinese sub - the one supposedly responsible for the attack.

“Kudos. You Andalites have aborted that phase of the plan. If it had gone forward, that sub would have viewed the American attack as an unprovoked act of aggression. The Chinese commander would have retaliated. Dreadful misunderstanding on top of dreadful misunderstanding.”

The visser paused and grinned at his colleagues. I could not help but notice their expressions were somewhat wary.

“However, the brilliant plan proceeds unhampered! In slightly less than two hours,” the visser went on, “no matter what actually happens between now and then, our people in government will receive detailed reports of a vicious Chinese attack on the George Washington carrier battle group and order a particular nuclear submarine, manned exclusively by Taxxons, to launch what is by Yeerk standards a quite primitive - however effective - nuclear fusion device against certain Chinese cities.

“The Chinese will respond in kind. War will escalate and spread and, before long, the human population will be severely reduced in number and depleted of weapons. A perfect time for the glorious Visser One to conquer planet Earth!”

<My offer still stands, Ax,> Rachel said.

<Ax, tell him to call off the American sub,> Jake demanded.

<Yeerk,> I said, <if you comply with our demand we will let you live. If you do not, you will die right here. Contact the American submarine under Yeerk control. Order it to abort its mission. Tell your commander the plan has been canceled.>

It was a mad and desperate act. Why would this Yeerk comply with the wishes of his sworn enemy?

The visser laughed and sat back in the narrow chair. Crossed one leg over the other and cocked his head.

“And reveal to the mighty Andalites which U.S. submarine is under Yeerk control? Hardly. No, my esteemed foe, I don’t fear death. You may kill me now, if it pleases you. The plan will unfold whether I live or die. What I fear is failure.”

<Yup, definite whacko.>

Again, Visser Two grinned that disturbing grin.

“The plan proceeds. In approximately two hours, nuclear missile will fly from an American Trident submarine. Shortly thereafter, the Chinese will respond.

“And how long before all nuclear powers are involved? Russia, France, Great Britain, Israel, India, Pakistan. Equal opportunity destruction. Tens of millions will die. Perhaps hundreds of millions. And the way will be prepared!”

Visser Two stood and saluted to some unseen general power.

<I’m half-expecting to hear him belt out a Yeerk version of that old Nazi standard,> Marco said. <You know, “The Future Belongs to Me.”>

<He’s inane. A fanatic.>

<Yes, Cassie. I believe that fact has been well established.>

<the question now,> Jake said, his voice betraying his concern, <is how do we negotiate with a psychotic.>

<Negotiate! I say we pulverize ->

KNOCKKNOCKKNOCK.

A voice from the hall.

“Captain! Sir, we have visuals of unidentified aircraft on approach! Dozens, type unknown. And sir, they don’t show on the radar scan!”

Instinctively, I raised my tail. Turned my stalk eyes to Jake.

Flinched as a wild, high laughter poured from the visser’s throat.

“Unidentified, indeed,” he cried. “I would rather have done this more cleanly, but one does what one must! Within minutes, my dear enemies, Yeerk Bug fighters and transports will land on the ship. What will you do then, the six of you against the might of the Yeerks? How will you stop me then?!”

I was tiring of rhetorical questions.

Rachel lunged for the man but a harsh word from Jake stopped her.

<No. Everybody, stay calm. We need this creep. He’s the only one who can stop the slaughter from coming down.>

<But …>

BA-BOOM!

Antiaircraft guns!

TSEEEWW! TSEEEWW!

Dracon beams!

<We’re under attack!> Rachel cried.

I looked to Jake for direction.

And was thrown to my knees as a violent explosion ripped through the admiral’s cabin. I covered my head with my arms in a futile attempt to protect against raining sheets of metal. Through the haze of smoke and crumbled plaster I could see a crouched wolf and a large, dark mass that might have been Marco.

And then the initial impact was over. A sort of silence came upon the cabin.

<Rachel, Ax, everybody!> Jake called.

I stumbled to my hooves.

With four burning eyes scanned the are of destruction.

Saw a bloody Chapman and a smoke-stained captain, separately struggling to their feet.

<Prince Jake,> I said. <The admiral is gone.>

Sorry, about that. Only one chapter today. It's an odd number of chapters in the book, so while sometimes I just do that at the end, sometimes I go ahead of time. And it sounds like there's been enough of a revelation here we can just talk about this chapter, because Visser Two does like to monlogue.

Tomorrow Belongs to Me is a song ending out the musical Cabaret. If you've never heard it, I've linked it below. It's actually a very sweet song if you manage to forget it's being sung by Nazis about the upcoming Nazi takeover of Germany..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0jav4lNsk

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Trident? Aren't they British?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Trident? Aren't they British?

Trident is the missile, used by the US Navy and Royal Navy. The actual sub would be an Ohio-class.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trident is the missile, used by the US Navy and Royal Navy. The actual sub would be an Ohio-class.

oh! Jake is a goon?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't see why they needed to fake an attack on the George Washington in the first place. If the Yeerks have an American nuclear sub crewed by Taxxons, why not just have them fire without going through doctoring up a justification? It's not like China wouldn't consider a nuke launched at Beijing by an American submarine an act of war and retaliate even if the Americans denied that they ordered it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't see why they needed to fake an attack on the George Washington in the first place. If the Yeerks have an American nuclear sub crewed by Taxxons, why not just have them fire without going through doctoring up a justification? It's not like China wouldn't consider a nuke launched at Beijing by an American submarine an act of war and retaliate even if the Americans denied that they ordered it.

I think the idea here was to layer a bunch of attacks so any of them failing still means they have a bunch of backups still going on. Plus it makes the war a lot murkier and more likely to draw in the rest of the world the more you have America and China convinced that they were attacked unprovoked.

Plus I imagine at this point they're expecting the Andalite Bandits to foil at least part of their schemes :v:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Tomorrow Belongs to Me is a song ending out the musical Cabaret. If you've never heard it, I've linked it below. It's actually a very sweet song if you manage to forget it's being sung by Nazis about the upcoming Nazi takeover of Germany..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv0jav4lNsk

So you still think you can control them, Seerow?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Epicurius posted:

Very 2000 view of China. I think nowadays, The US would probably consider China rivals. But yea, the plot to start WWIII would be bad for humanity, Not great for the Yeerks, but there are enough people that even if a few million die, they're still way ahead of the game.

I remember reading this as an adult (because I never read it as a kid, Australia having been my last straw) and wondering how many hosts they really need for it to still be a windfall. Say, a billion? How many Hork-Bajir do they have - a few hundred thousand?

Which leads to the darker consideration of: if the Yeerks had approached and convinced the leaders of the great powers that they could lay waste to the planet if they wanted, how quickly would those leaders have agreed to strike a bargain to hand over the population of, say, Africa?

quote:

“And how long before all nuclear powers are involved? Russia, France, Great Britain, Israel, India, Pakistan. Equal opportunity destruction. Tens of millions will die. Perhaps hundreds of millions. And the way will be prepared!”

Here, though, merely tens of millions dying pretty optimistic from the Yeerks' point of view. In a full-blown global nuclear war I think you'd be down to the populations of southern Africa, the south Pacific, New Zealand, some of Australia, and your biggest population core would be left in South America. That feels like less than 1 billion and you're still going to struggle to infest many of them before they start dying off from the overnight evaporation of the global economy, never mind radiation sickness.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

freebooter posted:

I remember reading this as an adult (because I never read it as a kid, Australia having been my last straw) and wondering how many hosts they really need for it to still be a windfall. Say, a billion? How many Hork-Bajir do they have - a few hundred thousand?

Something like that, I believe. And most of them born in captivity.

freebooter posted:

Here, though, merely tens of millions dying pretty optimistic from the Yeerks' point of view.

It's also interesting that the authors list Israel among the nuclear powers, when to this day they refuse to acknowledge whether, or how many, nuclear weapons they might have.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

freebooter posted:

In Visser, because of a misunderstanding, one of the characters originally thought that Earth's population was 6 million and still considered that a regular planetary population. I get the impression that even if there were a billion people left after this, earth would still be the most populated planet the Yeerks know of.

Of the places we know, the Taxxons struggle for survival because of their hunger, there were never many Hork-Bajir, with the Quantum Virus killing most of them, and the Andallites abandoned cities for a more pastoral lifestyle and use family planning and birth control to keep their population down. Only the Yeeks and humans reproduce freely, without any concern for their population or environment.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 25, 2022

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

So... Yeah, Visser Two clearly has had his promotion for all of a week given how he's basically experiencing religious ecstasy for the thought of being killed in the line of duty for Visser One. No way someone like that would get there on their own.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 16

quote:

<Let’s go! Up to the flight deck!>

Jake was right. There was nothing to be done from below decks at this point.

We needed to be at the heart of the battle. To assess the Yeerk forces. To fight.

Jake and Cassie tore up one of the narrow, almost perfectly vertical staircases. Tobias, a superior flyer, was able to follow. It was not as easy for Rachel, Marco, or me. For one, Rachel could not fit through the opening at the top of the stairs in battle morph.

TSEEW! TSEEW!

Our dilemma was solved by a Dracon beam tearing a hole large enough for the grizzly.

<Thanks. I think.>

<The Yeerks must have seen Jake, Cassie, and Tobias,> I said. <Take great care.>

<Actually, I was thinking of painting a big red bull’s-eye on my butt …>

Marco was cranky again.

Awkwardly I followed him to the flight deck.

I will never forget the sight that met my eyes.

The magnificence of the American aircraft carrier. Desecrated by a barrage of Yeerk Dracon fire, yet blasting back in self-defense. Onboard defense systems still in navy hands.

Several noble escort ships, also blazing away at the descending Bug fighters. And valiant sailors and marines, men and women …

Fighting. And dying.

How many were still free? How many already Yeerks?

Through the dense smoke of battle engaged, I could just make out the aircraft returning to the carrier.

<No way they’re gonna be able to land!> Marco cried. <They’ll be shot down before they have a chance! I’m gonna get to the bridge, see what I can do… .>

Keeping close down to the nonskid surface of the flight deck, Marco loped off toward the island.

<I will attempt to locate the visser,> I said.

<Good luck, Ax-man.>

Rachel ran toward a Yeerk transport aircraft that was disgorging Hork-Bajir shock troops.

I stepped forward and …

BOOOOOOSSSSH! BABOOOOSSSH!

A dreadful series of explosions almost shook me off my feet.

Humans all around me fell to the ground.

No … the aircraft I had recalled. Jets. Helicopters.

The S-3B Vikings. The SH-60F/HH-60G Seahawks. Designed for antisubmarine warfare. Shot down. The wreckage boiling in the water.

Marco had not been in time to commandeer the bridge, subdue the Yeerks inside, tell the jets they were flying into an ambush, a trap …

“Die, Andalite scum!”

Bam!

Instinctively, I ducked.

And as I did so, swept my tail around in an almost perfect half-circle. One less Controller.

There was no easy way to distinguish one’s enemy from one’s ally. No easy way to recognize those with a Yeerk in their head … Unless they gave themselves away.

The rather large marine had snuck up behind me. I had seen him coming.

“For the visser!”

FWAP!

I knocked him down the stairwell before he could fire his weapon. His hand, clutching the weapon, followed.

<Ax!>

Suddenly, in Marco’s path, a sailor! Armed.

Marco stopped. Stared at the young man.

And then the sailor saluted and ran off toward the bow.

<Whoa …> Marco, dark gorilla hair bloodied and burnt, joined me close to the place we’d come up on deck. <Did I just imagine that or are some of the good guys on our side now?>

Yes … as incredible as it seemed… .

<Look. Ahead, by the Yeerk transport craft.>

Members of the U.S. Navy fighting alongside Rachel. Against seven-foot-tall Hork-Bajir, the Yeerks’ shock troops.

<I suppose the sudden appearance from the sky of large, prehistoric-looking aliens such as the Hork-Bajir makes the presence of wild animals currently native to Earth seem that much more normal.>

<That or Rachel told those guys what she really looks like and promised them all dates.>

<The aircraft, the ones I ordered sent back to the carrier. They were shot down.>

<I know, Ax-man. I’m sorry. I was too late. Besides, the entire bridge is swarming with Hork- Bajir guarding a few Yeerk officers. It would have been suicide even to try to get in.>

<Prince Jake!>

Jake and Cassie, running from the direction of the stern. Coats matted with blood and darkened with soot.

<This is stupid!> Cassie cried. <I don’t know what we’re supposed to be doing! All the jets are being destroyed. The Yeerks have taken control of the ship! We saw them on the fantail …>

<They’ve got hold of the Mk. 15 Phalanx,> Jake explained. <And the Mk. 29 Sea Sparrow SAM launchers. Any incoming help for our side is already history.>

<What are you saying?> Marco demanded. <We surrender?>

<No! We haven’t lost. But we can’t let the visser get away! That’s the goal. We’ve got to find him!>

And then what? I wondered.

But I did not express this thought aloud.

Jake and Cassie bounded of into the smoke.

Marco grunted. <Once more into the fray, Ax-man. I’m going to help Rachel. See if I can teach some of these sailor dudes about hand-to-hand combat. I think most of them have never actually looked into the eye of the enemy.>

Marco knuckle-walked across the flight deck.

And then I saw him.

Chapman.

Not the visser but someone who could tell me where to find him.

If I asked in just the right way.

So, it's combat, which means, like usual, it's chaotic. But Ax has found Chapman.

Chapter 17

quote:

He was dressed as before, in the uniform of a navy officer.

And he was heading away from me. Limping but moving quickly. Almost running. Running away from the carnage?

Possibly.

No, I thought.

Chapman was one of the worst sort of Yeerks. Eager for glory. Expert at toadying to powerful superiors.

But unwilling to dirty his own hands if he could find someone else to perform the less appealing tasks of invasion.

Chapman was a coward.

I saw him go belowdecks.

I followed.

At the top of the ladderlike stairs I halted.

My Andalite body is superior to that of humans in many ways.

However, as recent experience had confirmed, it is not ideally suite for ascending or descending the stairs aboard a human aircraft carrier.

No choice. Time was running out and I had to mobile.

I took my chances.

Approached a rather tall young man in a purple float coat.

Asked him politely for the temporary use of his genetic material. And his outer layers of clothing.

Fortunately, this young man was one of those who had realized we meant them no harm. Therefore, I was not forced to subdue him.

The young man grinned.

“Dude. I’m honored. Borrow away. And go get that alien scum.” I acquired another human and immediately began the morph.

Perhaps I should have warned the young man first as to the somewhat disturbing nature of the morphing process.

At one point, just as my face split to form a human mouth, he put his hand over his own mouth and turned away.

Finally, dressed and in possession of a firearm loaned to me, I climbed down the ladder.

But where had Chapman gone? Where would he go?

Back to the CIC.

I made my way down to the 03 deck.

Wounded were being carried through the narrow corridors. Sailors - reinforcements for which side? - hurried past.

I kept my two human eyes straight ahead.

Gallery level. The CIC itself would be heavily guarded. Either by the admiral’s Yeerks or by the navy’s own personnel.

First, I would try the smaller control centers, those operated by various departments.

Antisubmarine. Antisurface.

With some luck …

The antiair control center. The door was unguarded.

I simply walked right in. Even though under ordinary circumstances a member of the aviation fuels crew would be unlikely to visit.

And there he was. His back to me. Sitting in a chair, drinking what looked like a cup of coffee.

Hiding from the battle.

He was alone in the room.

I shut the door behind me.

I could see his shoulders tense. Then he stood and whirled around.

“You are going to take me to the visser,” I said.

Chapman grimaced. “Andalite filth!”

He threw the cup of hot liquid at me.

It was a stupid thing to do.

Swiftly, I removed the weapon from the waistband of my pants. Pointed it at his heart.

“Tell me where I can find the visser.”

I had no intention of shooting a defenseless man in cold blood.

But I am sorry to admit that it was a temptation.
At that moment, alone in a dark room with one of the Yeerks responsible for the atrocities taking place above deck …

Alone with one of the Yeerks involved in the launching of a third world war …

Alone with one of the Abomination’s most ardent supporters …

I could barely stand my own rage.

I cocked the trigger.

Panic swept across Chapman’s face.

If he gave up Visser Two, Visser One would have him executed.

If he refused, he believed I would put a bullet in his chest.

“Tell me where to find the visser.”

Sweat broke out on his brow.

Nervously, he took a step backward.

“Tell …”

WHAM!

Chapman screamed.

“Uumph.”

And I was thrown forward onto my hands and knees! The gun skittered wildly across the floor.

Someone had opened the door. Someone had hit me in the back with the door!

I had allowed my anger to get the better of me.

To conquer my awareness of my surroundings.

To cloud my reason!

“Get him! He’s an Andalite! Get him!”

I scrambled forward, jumped to my feet.

And turned to find Chapman pointing the gun at me. With him, a Hork-Bajir bodyguard.

The Hork-Bajir stepped forward.

“Wait!” Chapman grinned. “I think I will take you prisoner instead. My own personal prisoner of war. But just to make sure you don’t try to break out …”
Bam!

I fell to the floor.

Chapman locked the door behind him.

Hey, Chapman took Ax prisoner. This seems significant.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
“No, my esteemed foe, I don’t fear death. You may kill me now, if it pleases you. The plan will unfold whether I live or die. What I fear is failure.”

Have we seen any Yeerks with this attitude before? Did this guy get promoted solely for his very un-yeerk-ish sacrificial outlook?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

“No, my esteemed foe, I don’t fear death. You may kill me now, if it pleases you. The plan will unfold whether I live or die. What I fear is failure.”

Have we seen any Yeerks with this attitude before? Did this guy get promoted solely for his very un-yeerk-ish sacrificial outlook?

Nope. Yeerks have been stated to tend to just shut down or surrender, as a cultural trait, when faced with impossible odds and unwinnable situations. This sort of suicidal fatalism looks like something new.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Nope. Yeerks have been stated to tend to just shut down or surrender, as a cultural trait, when faced with impossible odds and unwinnable situations. This sort of suicidal fatalism looks like something new.

Or it's a Yeerk with a different perspective. As far as Visser Two is concerned, the plan is in motion and unstoppable. Maybe to him it's not an unwinnable situation, it's a victory that he already knew he might give his life for one way or the other. It's not fatalism if you think you've won; surrender would be aborting the plan.

But also he's clearly not fully stable, so...

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sory, everyone. No chapters tonight.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Chapter 18

quote:

I ran across a lush field of grass, hooves pounding.

Breathed deeply the good air of the home planet.

Peace. And quiet.

There was my mother, ahead.

And my brother. Elfangor! It had been so long, too long since we had spoken together… .

“Wha …”

I sat up. No lush field. Just the hard floor of the antiair control center.

And the blood oozing slowly from my thigh.

Chapman hadn’t shot to kill. Just to incapacitate.

How long had I been out? And why had I fainted?

I had sustained far more serious injuries without losing consciousness. Perhaps it was this particular human morph.

Whatever the reason, I was ashamed.

Not only had I failed to gather the necessary information from Chapman regarding Visser Two’s whereabouts.

I had allowed a personal emotion to get the better of my military sense.

This was one episode I would not share with my friends.

Quickly, I demorphed. Becoming Andalite had never felt quite so welcome.

Skreeeeet!

Carefully, I sliced out the lock on the door and broke out of my prison.

The battle itself was not also taking place somewhere belowdecks. I could hear all too clearly the cries of the wounded. The roar of destruction.

But I was needed at the heart of the action.

Back on the flight deck. Amid the mayhem.

FWAP!

The man was down.

I am rarely, if ever, surprised or sabotaged in my natural Andalite form.

I removed his weapon from his hand.

My tail blade was almost infallible. But I would take no more chances.

Through the narrow corridor I walked.

Past the CIC. Little if any noise from within.

Past the carrier air traffic control center.

The tactical flag command center.

A quick check told me that they were empty. As was the joint intelligence center.

It was likely that most if not all of the carrier’s officers were by now either dead or infested.

If any had been lucky enough to have escaped the Yeerk clutches, they would be on deck, loyally fighting alongside their people.

Of that I was certain.

I arrived on the flight deck miraculously unmolested.

And immediately spotted Captain Plummer.

He was on the ground. An enormous hold had been blown in his gut.

It was clear he would not live to see the end of this battle.

“Help! You,” he cried, signaling to a Hork-Bajir and a human-Controller standing nearby.

I made sure I was unseen.

The human was one of the supposed naval men who had come on board with Admiral Carrington.

The Yeerks looked at the fallen captain. The human’s face showed great annoyance.

“Please, help. Take me belowdecks. I’m one of you!”

“You’re nobody,” the Controller shouted. “Your human host has served his purpose. He’s dying. Save yourself if you can.”

The Controller and the Hork-Bajir walked away.

I approached.

His eyes were beginning to glass over. Still, they showed fear.

<I am not going to hurt you,> I said.

Then I saw the Yeerk struggling out of the man’s ear.

I let it happen.

It would not get far.

Awkwardly, I knelt by Captain Plummer’s side.

“What have I done,” he gasped. “I tried to fight it … I tried!”

<No one will blame you,> I assured him.

He looked down in fascination at what had been his stomach.

“I’m dying.”

<Yes.>

He reached for one of my hands.

I stayed with him until he was gone.

Poor Captain Plummer, Also, great loyalty there to Team Yeerk you other two Controllers.

Chapter 19

quote:

Tragedy upon tragedy.

The Yeerks trained Dracon cannon on the other ships in the battle group.

One by one …

Horrible explosions!

Towers of smoke and flame, rising what seemed like miles into the air!

The destruction was nearly unbelievable.

BUOOOSH!

I jumped out of the path of some sort of incendiary advice, some sort of fireball …

Out of the path of the man in flames, stumbling toward me.

No order to this battle!

No plan. No battle lines.

No strategy. No rules of engagement.

Just mad desperation.

Kill or be killed.

Or run away.

Jump into the ocean, be caught in a raging surface fire, be fried to a crisp. Voices, raised in panic.

Cries for help.

Supplications to personal gods.

Calls for mothers and wives.

Help, help, help …

Too many voices!

Ax. Ax. Ax!

I lifted my tail.

“Hey, easy, Ax, it’s me. Tobias.”

Indeed, it was my friend.

In the body of a navy sailor. Wearing a yellow float coat and jersey.

“The guy’s a catapult-and-arresting-gear-officer,” Tobias explained. “Didn’t want to have to do it without his permission. But he passed out when a bird started talking to him so … I stashed him out of harm’s way. I hope.”

<We do what we must,> I said woodenly. <This morph might prove valuable.>

“Yeah. It’s letting me look for the visser in places a hawk just can’t go. Besides, any flying object around here is getting popped out of the air.”

An odd sound through the din of battle.

I swiveled my stalk eyes.

“Some of the carrier’s personnel are bailing,” Tobias explained. “They’re dropping boats into the water like crazy. Don’t know how far they’re going to get with a sky full of Bug fighters. Maybe if they can make it to one of the other ships …”

BOOM! BABOOM!

Tobias and I raced toward the sound of the explosion.

A large, navy-issued life raft, off the port side.

Destroyed. With it, perhaps twenty or thirty humans.

People.

<They didn’t even have a chance,> I said.

This navy aircraft carrier, once in devoted service to the people of the United States, had become a floating island of death.

Its captain enslaved and then left to die.

Its crew almost decimated.

I turned away from the scene of wreckage.

Only to witness yet another horror.

A few yards off.

Marco.

Kneeling awkwardly, trying to help a sailor with severe wounds. I could see that from where I was standing. The sailor was dying.

The sailor who had saluted him!

This had to stop.

I had to stop it.

I think Ax is pretty much near breaking right now.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Absolute mayhem. A bit unbelievable they're all surviving this.

Also, morphing humans is (as expected) incredibly useful.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, they keep talking about how Andalites only use morphing for spying and it's becoming clear how powerful that is.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Capfalcon posted:

Yeah, they keep talking about how Andalites only use morphing for spying and it's becoming clear how powerful that is.

It already was with just animals, really, even as the Yeerks increasingly got wise to/paranoid of any animal ever, but yeah, blending in as other humans is a whole other tier of usefulness. Shame about all those pesky morals getting in the way til now.

I wonder what past adventures, if any, would have been improved/gone better for the animorphs if they'd been more willing to stuff people in closets and take their places in a critical moment.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

CidGregor posted:

I wonder what past adventures, if any, would have been improved/gone better for the animorphs if they'd been more willing to stuff people in closets and take their places in a critical moment.

Frankly, morphing would be a great gimmick in a Hitman style game. Find the right people with the proper level of access, acquire their dna/incapacitate, secure the body, and morph them, all without being seen.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

CidGregor posted:

Off the top of my head, any time they're worried about going into the Yeerk Pool, they can just mug a known controller instead of all the terrible plans they have had so far.

The Cow Book could have been done by getting a worker who can see things from a normal perspective.

The multiple books where they have to ruin a famous controller's reputation are as simple as morphing them and going streaking or something.

Turns out being a terrible person with no concern with right or wrong makes fighting wars way easier!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Still getting through the thread. I'm at the Andalite Chronicles now. It's the first book I'm confident I didn't read as a kid. It wasn't until Loren popped Visser Three with a pebble that I remembered these a children's books. Children's books about leaving a man behind on a dying planet and genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Llab posted:

Frankly, morphing would be a great gimmick in a Hitman style game. Find the right people with the proper level of access, acquire their dna/incapacitate, secure the body, and morph them, all without being seen.

I may have written an interactive story about doing just that a few years back :ninja: