Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The real reason is because Star Wars is actually very dumb, incredibly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

The real reason is because Star Wars is actually very dumb, incredibly so.

It's not dumb except for the stuff made by lucas and disney

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's not dumb except for the stuff made by lucas and disney

:hmmyes:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That looks rad as hell.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The most recent Sherlock Holmes game is wild because some cases don't have an actual answer to who the culprit is so you just pick who you want to gently caress over more. Also it ends with what is apparently an extremely overt Death Note reference.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 28, 2022

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I remember some positive feelings in this thread about Symphony of War. It's on sale. People like it, yes? Can you play with a mouse?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

OzFactor posted:

I remember some positive feelings in this thread about Symphony of War. It's on sale. People like it, yes? Can you play with a mouse?

Edit: I'm an idiot. Wrong game, sorry.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 28, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Captain Invictus posted:

it's a shame nobody is smart enough to use projectile-based weaponry in the star wars universe since it would hard-counter lightsabers, as trying to deflect a metal slug with a lightsaber would just turn it into molten metal still hurtling towards the jedi

the actual hard counter to lightsabers is using a space-snake as a meat-sword

source: some weird extended universe novel i bought from an airport bookstore as a childe and vaguely remember

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

Gameplay wise, it's a good and fun Might and Magic successor. Keyboard and mouse is how I played it, not much keyboard.

The story is murderous garbage. In both stories you play a kill-crazy wacko who runs around murdering everyone you meet. Somehow they managed to make me feel like the bad guy while playing an escaped slave (even though the escaped slave is clearly supposed to be on the side of truth and justice).

Wrong game my dude

Symphony is a Tactics Ogre like. It's okay, the sprites are poo poo as is the story but the tactical battles are well enough thought out and have a lot of class variety and unit types. UI is sort of jank but is fully playable with mouse controls.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OzFactor posted:

It's worth a shot but I think the gameplay needed another pass. By around the middle of the game, you get 4-5 God squads who can just tank and kill everything, which greatly diminishes the challenge. Like you get maps where you can field 20 units but like 10 of those were just either incidental damage to finish enemies off that didn't die in a counterattack or just capping locations. Maybe hard mode is more right, but the results didn't live up to its potential.

The story is also garbage, but not like, offensively so. Like the gameplay, it needed more development to be passable, instead of "Wait what the gently caress why is this happening."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maclunky!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's a really excellent puzzle game for young kids?

Looking for something bright and colorful with some good spatial and/or reasoning puzzling action, no reading needed (or minimal short words)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

victrix posted:

The Witness

Gottem!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

victrix posted:

Looking for something bright and colorful with some good spatial and/or reasoning puzzling action, no reading needed (or minimal short words)

Baba is You fits the bright things and small words, and you'll eventually end up talking like a toddler, too: "If Baba is YOU but also MELT and Rock is HOT, I can't PUSH it, but if Rock is not HOT then Baba can PUSH, but then it stops being YOU."

It may be too difficult for a young kid playing alone, though.

No, I'm not dumb. The game makes me feel dumb, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

victrix posted:

Crayon Physics
Scribblenauts maybe, but I remember that being kind of wordy

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 28, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

victrix posted:

What was that Lego game with the really nice graphics? Journeys?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

What was that Lego game with the really nice graphics? Journeys?

Builder’s Journey?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RhoA posted:

Builder’s Journey?

Yeah that's the one!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Pwnstar posted:

The most recent Sherlock Holmes game is wild because some cases don't have an actual answer to who the culprit is so you just pick who you want to gently caress over more. Also it ends with what is apparently an extremely overt Death Note reference.

Sherlock Holmes games - always hosed up

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

victrix posted:

A Monster's Expedition Through Puzzling Exhibitions should be perfect. No reading necessary, everything is spatial and the critical path is a very gentle slope.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

victrix posted:

There's HueBots, free on Steam! The player tries to guide usually several cute robots through a maze, and the robots only interact with puzzle pieces that are the same colour as they are.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been playing some Cartel Tycoon lately, and as a management game, it's not the best, but not the worst I've played either, though I do admit it does that thing where they mix in Spanish with English (e.g. "You don't want the policia getting involved in this, understand?"). Still, like I said it's not that bad, assuming you're okay with the subject matter, and while it's generally serious, there is some levity here and there:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well Iron Lung was a thing I guess. 50 minutes of slowly exploring in a lovely submarine that's slowly leaking, if thats your sort of thing. The gimmick is you cant actually see out, you only have a camera that you have to run to the back of the sub to activate, and you've got to pilot it with only a terrible map and coordinate readouts of your own location to work from. Game lasts as long as it should. :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LLSix posted:

Gameplay wise, it's a good and fun Might and Magic successor.
That does not look like a first person dungeon crawler to me? :confused:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nice store pictures for that game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was Tactics Ogre the game where if you did normal/sane strategies you'd get branded as evil? Such as targeting the leader first, or defending against lower lvl stacks suiciding into you? I remember trying that game ages ago (on the SNES?) and quitting in disgust,

edit: also lol at that screenshot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Improving my army's morale with dat phat rear end.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Serephina posted:

Was Tactics Ogre the game where if you did normal/sane strategies you'd get branded as evil? Such as targeting the leader first, or defending against lower lvl stacks suiciding into you? I remember trying that game ages ago (on the SNES?) and quitting in disgust,

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Beating characters of lower level or higher alignment than your soldiers turned your characters evil.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

victrix posted:

World of Goo? Not quite bright and colourful, but it's funny intuitive physics.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Grapple Dog is a good, cute game that I bought and am playing because of the Let's Fight A Boss podcast. I should point out that 86.1% of players completed a stage, but only 60.5% of players pet the dog on the post-stage score screen. Everyone who skipped that button should be ashamed of themselves.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

nice store pictures for that game

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Serephina posted:

killing good people and massacring peasantry is, in fact, bad

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zereth posted:

That does not look like a first person dungeon crawler to me? :confused:

Guy confused the game with songs of conquest which is a HOMM successor so double wrong actually.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

killing good people and massacring peasantry is, in fact, bad

[Citation Needed]

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Holy hell.

Serephina posted:

Who took a shot at the CO!?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

victrix posted:

The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain.

it's not on steam but I'm sure it's abandonware or something by now since it's a game from the 90s, if you can get it running, I remember it being a great and genuinely fun educational game when I was little.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

In Ogre Battle you didn't want to kill the leader first except for the stage bosses. It wouldn't make you evil but once a unit loses its leader it retreats to its stronghold to heal. And the way combat works in Ogre Battle makes it unlikely you will be able to intercept them. If you keep killing leaders they'll just keep on coming at you. You generally have to kill the leader last to finish off the unit for good.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

victrix posted:

I know just the game, a very colorful puzzle box that was in the itch bundles. I think it was called GNOB?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

victrix posted:

World of Goo

Portal 1+2 and then https://store.steampowered.com/app/1255980/Portal_Reloaded/ if they want something harder

Flair fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

I know just the game, a very colorful puzzle box that was in the itch bundles. I think it was called GNOB?

GNOG