Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A big flaming stink posted:

Generally if the hypothetical you are describing sounds like the plot of an episode of The West Wing, it is likely that you are overrated its electoral significance

Anyway this could be added to the OP, or stickied at the top of every page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

some plague rats posted:

You cannot seriously believe this?

If when he was stalking around behind her like a creepy flesh golem, she hauled off and slugged him, I know I would have liked it. It'd probably have helped curb the "oh she's dying" and "women aren't strong and decisive like men" talking points, too.

Plus that would have been an iconic moment in American history that would actually be, y'know, good.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ershalim posted:

If when he was stalking around behind her like a creepy flesh golem, she hauled off and slugged him, I know I would have liked it. It'd probably have helped curb the "oh she's dying" and "women aren't strong and decisive like men" talking points, too.

Plus that would have been an iconic moment in American history that would actually be, y'know, good.

Let's be clear here. You can't shame the shameless.

"Hillary Clinton is a violent oppressor and cannot be trusted!" along with a bunch of clearly manufactured and fake scandals about how abusive she is to Bill or _____ person would have resulted.

Hell, I remember the insane "Hillary clearly abuses Bill." poo poo the right pushed, even though Bill was the one who straight up cheated on her and they stayed together. Meaning if the relationship is abusive then it could qualifiedly be said to be the other way around. :stare:

You're right however that one way to deal with people like that is to just walk over them to what's right through whatever means are necessary. Unfortunately, where politics is concerned (or any endeavour that involves the potential for violence really) this is typically where you're on the path to someone getting domed by an assassin or some degree of a civil war. Since it usually transpires that when your leaders are throwing hands at each other that means that the ability to talk (or reach across the aisle, as it's said nowadays) to try and compromise has completely and likely irrevocably been done away with.*

But unfortunately the ridiculous media network the right has that's designed to entrap viewers coupled with the lack of accountability enforced onto it means that any Democrat trying to stand up to them gets tarred and feathered irregardless of the facts. Even worse, actually throwing hands would have them baying for blood and instigating acts of stochastic terrorism (remember how Trump said the country needed a "second amendment solution" to Hillary getting elected? It'd be like that only the people attacking the capital would be heavily armed supremacists who believed that it was okay to do violence now that the other side did it eager to shed some blood to enforce their insane dystopia instead of them trying to blend into the crowd and sneakily get away with assassinating someone or changing the vote count.) on par with the poo poo you see in authoritarian or fascistic regimes.

A fix to this situation would be if more pressure is put on places like Fox News to tell the truth while punishing them for lying or pulling tricks from the same bag of lies and misdirection that places like Russian news networks use. It opens up breathing room for the Democrats to throw a punch, metaphorically or literally. Probably the former, since beating the poo poo out of your opponent is genuinely frowned upon in any functioning democracy that isn't ancient Rome. Even if the guy is a tremendous creep who probably would have done something predatory or skeezy to have it coming it's the sort of thing where their popularity amongst their own base needs to be cratered to not have immensely bad feelings on both sides of the aisle become the norm going forwards.

Alternatively, if our internal groups like the FBI start actively disbanding extremist right wing militias and supremacist groups and websites then throwing a punch also becomes a lot more viable. Since those places are ridiculously eager to have a legit incident that would start the RaHoWa or whatever the gently caress they're calling it these days.

*And if you doubt we'd possibly go the same way keep in mind that we had multiple situations like that in the lead up to the civil war where our seated politicians decided to brawl while in session to try and sort the other side out. There's incidents where we've straight up had politicians try to cane the poo poo out of people (As in, whipping the ever loving poo poo out of them with a walking cane, hilariously enough.) they didn't like to get them to behave according to their values.

https://history.house.gov/Historical-Highlights/1851-1900/The-most-infamous-floor-brawl-in-the-history-of-the-U-S--House-of-Representatives/

https://www.history.com/news/charles-sumner-caning-cilley-duel-congressional-violence

Heck, we straight up had duels to the death on the rare occasion of policy disputes (or a dispute of who gets what position. Or in the case of a certain duel crazy politician just because he liked shooting people.). Which was the "civil" way of doing that wasn't going to lead to widespread violence.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 28, 2022

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Found one possibly great hidden gem in the proposed reconciliation bill language. Finally fixing one of the dumbest and most pointlessly painful aspects of American government.

Requirement for the IRS to create a task force to implement a direct e-file system for your taxes available to all Americans. No more only e-filing through 3rd party software or only getting to e-file for free if you are under a certain income.

The task force would have to deliver a plan to implement it 9 months after the bill passes. Which would be around June 2023.

This reads to me as spending $15M on a study on how much it would cost, what public opinion is, and how they would do it, not directing them to actually implement it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone (especially for those that are trying to redefine the term) but we are officially in a recession now.

https://twitter.com/bencasselman/status/1552632896225255425

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Srice posted:

I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone (especially for those that are trying to redefine the term) but we are officially in a recession now.

https://twitter.com/bencasselman/status/1552632896225255425

Still not how recessions are legally defined. This hasn’t changed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

GDP has declined for two consecutive quarters. That's a recession.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Devor posted:

This reads to me as spending $15M on a study on how much it would cost, what public opinion is, and how they would do it, not directing them to actually implement it

Nothing like that is ever going to pass the 2023 congress.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Srice posted:

No, it isn't.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/cea/written-materials/2022/07/21/how-do-economists-determine-whether-the-economy-is-in-a-recession/

https://www.nber.org/business-cycle-dating-procedure-frequently-asked-questions

https://www.newsweek.com/united-states-economy-inflation-recession-stock-markets-experts-1721035

https://www.politifact.com/article/2022/jul/26/what-exactly-recession-sorting-out-confusing/

https://money.cnn.com/2008/05/05/news/economy/recession/

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

"A common definition of recession is two negative quarters of GDP growth, or at least that's something that's been true in past recessions," Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said on NBC’s "Meet the Press" on July 25. "So we could see that happen. And that will be closely watched. But I do want to emphasize: What a recession really means is a broad-based contraction in the economy. And even if that number is negative, we are not in a recession now."

Hm.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, and it's still not how it's legally defined, as all the articles I linked describe, including saying why the two quarter definition isn't adequate, where it comes from, and who and how the actual definition is applied.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, and it's still not how it's legally defined, as all the articles I linked describe, including saying why the two quarter definition isn't adequate, where it comes from, and who and how the actual definition is applied.

At least two of those were written this year. Are you familiar with Noam Chomsky's Propaganda Model as described in Manufacturing Consent?

E: further, what should I rely on you as a trusted mediator? What reason do you have for wanting me to see these articles? What narrative are you trying to establish with your mediation of information?

Lib and let die fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 28, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Very well, I will amend my point and say it's 99.99% likely we're in a recession right now since all of the common recession factors are present.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

All this pedantry has real strong magic words energy. Who cares what its called?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

There is no "legal definition" of a recession. There is no formal definition of a recession at all. A recession is declared "official" when a group of Very Important People say it is, and there are no explicit criteria for it, public or private. The Politifact article does explain this well, which you could have quoted directly instead of linking and adding something incorrect. Consequently, everyone else on the planet has used the two-quarters rule as a convenient proxy, but there is now a full court press by the White House to point out that the government has never considered that official because it looks bad otherwise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There is no "legal definition" of a recession. There is no formal definition of a recession at all. A recession is declared "official" when a group of Very Important People say it is, and there are no explicit criteria for it, public or private. Consequently, everyone else on the planet has used the two-quarters rule as a convenient proxy, but there is now a full court press by the White House to point out that the government has never considered that official because it looks bad otherwise.

Heck, to put it another way, has there been a period of time in US history post-WWII where there was a recession without two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth? I am pretty sure there isn't but I haven't closely examined every single instance so it's possible I missed one!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Srice posted:

Heck, to put it another way, has there been a period of time in US history post-WWII where there was a recession without two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth? I am pretty sure there isn't but I haven't closely examined every single instance so it's possible I missed one!

We'd actually be looking for the opposite: a time where there was two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth without a recession. That would be a counterexample for when the rule-of-thumb has failed. I'm having a little trouble finding this broken down by quarter pre-2000 rather than annualized.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Let's go to the dictionary shall we
https://www.allbusiness.com/barrons_dictionary/dictionary-recession-4954237-1.html

quote:

Dictionary of Accounting Terms: recession
Downturn in the economy. Many economists speak of recession when there has been a decline in the gross national product for two consecutive quarters.

Dictionary of Banking Terms: recession
Downturn in a country’s economy, measured by a decline in aggregate economic activity. Most economic measures of a recession are at least partly subjective, although a widely held definition says a recession occurs when real gross domestic product declines in two consecutive quarters. Another indicator of a recession is a sudden rise-at least two percentage points-in the unemployment rate. The National Bureau of Economic Research decides when recessions begin and end, based on an analysis of economic indicators. This often means that a recession can be well underway before policymakers in government and business become aware of it and begin taking corrective actions.

Dictionary of Business Terms: recession
Downturn in economic activity, defined by many economists as at least two consecutive quarters of decline in a country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

Dictionary of Finance and Investment Terms: recession
Downturn in economic activity, defined by many economists as at least two consecutive quarters of decline in a country’s Gross Domestic Product.

Dictionary of Real Estate Terms: recession
General economic slowdown; officially declared after two consecutive quarters of reduced gross domestic product. Often, there is a shrinkage in the real estate industry without a recession in the general business economy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

We'd actually be looking for the opposite: a time where there was two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth without a recession. That would be a counterexample for when the rule-of-thumb has failed. I'm having a little trouble finding this broken down by quarter pre-2000 rather than annualized.

I was thinking of hunting for an instance where it the rule of thumb didn't trigger a warning but yeah you're right that would be a much better way to approach it.

I found some historical data that has a quarterly breakdown starting in 1948:

https://www.multpl.com/us-real-gdp-growth-rate/table/by-quarter

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Legally defined? What does that mean in this context?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Isn't the weirdness here that unemployment is level/people keep getting hired. so, yah the economy isn't growing but unemployment is low and people are still getting checks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Srice posted:

Casselman has an example from 1947, but idk about afterward. Anyway the high council of economic wizards took 8 months to declare the '08 recession a recession and the federal reserve only raises the probability of a recession after a recession is occurring.

Employment is considered a lagging indicator too. If we take Powell at his word he and the fed believe the unemployment rate needs to start to rise.

There is a good chance q3 gdp is already baked in negative and y/y gdp will most likely end up negative. About the only thing to stop any of this is an actual infrastructure bill being passed.

Dubar posted:

All this pedantry has real strong magic words energy. Who cares what its called?
Trading Algorithms and the public.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 28, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Casselman has an example from 1947, but idk about afterward. Anyway the high council of economic wizards took 8 months to declare the '08 recession a recession and the federal reserve only raises the probability of a recession after a recession is occurring.

Employment is considered a lagging indicator too. If we take Powell at his word he and the fed believe the unemployment rate needs to start to rise.

There is a good chance q3 gdp is already baked in negative and y/y gdp will most likely end up negative. About the only thing to stop any of this is an actual infrastructure bill being passed.

After poking around the data I linked I saw that 2001 had a recession declared despite GDP growth not being negative for two consecutive quarters.

But also that seems like an understandably wild exception to the rule since 9/11 was a factor.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Devor posted:

No, it doesn't direct them to actually do it because Congress needs to approve. The task force will study and then draw up a plan to implement.

The plan will be presented to congress around June 2023 and then congress would vote on it.

That's why I said "possible" hidden gem. If it was a 100% sure thing that they would do it, it would be a definite hidden gem.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Srice posted:

After poking around the data I linked I saw that 2001 had a recession declared despite GDP growth not being negative for two consecutive quarters.

But also that seems like an understandably wild exception to the rule since 9/11 was a factor.

Oh I misread your post. You were looking for positive gdp quarters as recession.

Recession is also being backed up by housing numbers and fed activity gauges. There is just too much data out there saying recession is here.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Gumball Gumption posted:

There is no legal definition of a recession. "Real GDP falls for two consecutive quarters" is an extremely common definition among pundits because it's black and white. But policymakers go by the NBER business cycle dating committee's recession calls. And they generally call recessions based on whether they think actual real GDP has fallen below its potential. And potential real GDP isn't something we can directly measure in the data. It's a holistic construct of synthetic control forecasting, quantitative modeling, etc. The important thing, though, is that if a decline in real GDP is driven mostly by a decline in potential GDP, that's not a recession. Or at least, it's not a situation that we think monetary or fiscal policy can do much to fix in the short run.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh I misread your post. You were looking for positive gdp quarters as recession.

Recession is also being backed up by housing numbers and fed activity gauges. There is just too much data out there saying recession is here.

I wound up looking for examples of positive GDP as recession and also negative GDP numbers without recession. But yeah, turns out the rule of thumb is a rule of thumb for a reason.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

it's an entertaining bit of sophistry because recession is not at all a legally defined term.

it's a little like insisting that because an article in Piss Pedants Periodical said you could argue piss was a type of precipitation, you are in the wrong for getting upset someone pissed on your leg and told you it was rain.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Oakland Martini posted:

There is no legal definition of a recession. "Real GDP falls for two consecutive quarters" is an extremely common definition among pundits because it's black and white. But policymakers go by the NBER business cycle dating committee's recession calls. And they generally call recessions based on whether they think actual real GDP has fallen below its potential. And potential real GDP isn't something we can directly measure in the data. It's a holistic construct of synthetic control forecasting, quantitative modeling, etc. The important thing, though, is that if a decline in real GDP is driven mostly by a decline in potential GDP, that's not a recession. Or at least, it's not a situation that we think monetary or fiscal policy can do much to fix in the short run.

Also worth noting naming these things is highly political. I swear there was some talk of the Great Recession actually being a depression but since no one wanted to call it though, least of the Conservatives in power they named it a recession to avoid panic.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Srice posted:

I was thinking of hunting for an instance where it the rule of thumb didn't trigger a warning but yeah you're right that would be a much better way to approach it.

I found some historical data that has a quarterly breakdown starting in 1948:

https://www.multpl.com/us-real-gdp-growth-rate/table/by-quarter

So if we cross-reference to this: https://www.nber.org/research/data/us-business-cycle-expansions-and-contractions

It appears that every time there are two consecutive negative quarters of GDP growth, it has been determined that we are in a recession. There are recessions on that list (2001, 1960) that do not also have the drops in GDP, and of course, the edges of the recession can not be determined by this metric.

The White House is arguing that due to other economic metrics not lining up because of the generaled fuckedupness of the global economy between COVID and war in Ukraine, we might not be in a recession -- e.g. jobs and employment are still increasing. So it's not to say that the rule of thumb can't be broken, just that it would be seemingly unprecedented.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Discendo Vox posted:

Gumball Gumption posted:

Recessions aren't legally defined. There isn't a statute that defines them. DV may be referring to the NBER definition, which is the official designation they use to calculate a recession, which is:

quote:

The first thing to note is that two straight quarters of negative GDP growth isn’t determinative. The official determination is up to the NBER, a nonpartisan, private organization that utilizes other factors in making such calls.

While gross domestic product (GDP) is the broadest measure of economic activity, the often-cited identification of a recession with two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth is not an official designation. … The NBER recession is a monthly concept that takes account of a number of monthly indicators — such as employment, personal income, and industrial production — as well as quarterly GDP growth. Therefore, while negative GDP growth and recessions closely track each other, the consideration by the NBER of the monthly indicators, especially employment, means that the identification of a recession with two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth does not always hold.

Srice posted:

It's technically not. But, it is a common shorthand and is almost always true. There have been a few examples (2001, 1960, and 1947) where the two quarters = recession calculation wasn't true. So, it is very likely that when they have the final numbers it will technically be a recession. But, just two quarters on itself isn't the entire thing.

quote:

The first thing to note is that two straight quarters of negative GDP growth isn’t determinative. The official determination is up to the NBER, a nonpartisan, private organization that utilizes other factors in making such calls.

“We view real GDP as the single best measure of aggregate economic activity,” the NBER said at the time. “In determining whether a recession has occurred and in identifying the approximate dates of the peak and the trough, we therefore place considerable weight on the estimates of real GDP issued by the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) of the U.S. Department of Commerce.”

And it’s rare for there to be two consecutive quarters of negative GDP without a recession. In fact, George Washington University professor Tara Sinclair said the only time on record appears to have been 1947.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Isn't the weirdness here that unemployment is level/people keep getting hired. so, yah the economy isn't growing but unemployment is low and people are still getting checks.

Yeah, that is part of it. It is very likely that when NBER makes the final distinction with the revised quarterly information (today's is the preliminary estimated measure) that it will be a recession. But, it isn't actually "official".

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

The White House is arguing that due to other economic metrics not lining up because of the generaled fuckedupness of the global economy between COVID and war in Ukraine, we might not be in a recession -- e.g. jobs and employment are still increasing. So it's not to say that the rule of thumb can't be broken, just that it would be seemingly unprecedented.

It happened in 1947. And in the other direction (recession declared without two consecutive quarters of losses) in 1960 and shortly after 9/11.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 28, 2022

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Srice posted:

There are a number of recessions that did not have 2 consecutive quarters of negative gdp growth. Also, this is not exactly an apples to apples comparison because we are looking at the prelim gdp numbers right now not the final gdp numbers,.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
So now that we're officially in a recession, what actually changes other than every talking head wanting to make it worse with austerity.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

So now that we're officially in a recession, what actually changes other than every talking head wanting to make it worse with austerity.

Talking heads stating we are technically not in a “legal” recession.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I really despise this creepy motherfucker. I hate the way he thinks, the things he says and the way he looks

https://news.yahoo.com/matt-gaetz-19-other-republicans-112450368.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Matt Gaetz, 19 Other Republicans Vote Against Bill Targeting Human Trafficking

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), who has been embroiled in a federal sex-trafficking investigation, on Wednesday joined 19 other Republicans in voting against a House bill targeting human trafficking.

The Frederick Douglass Trafficking Victims Prevention and Protection Reauthorization Act of 2022, aimed at protecting survivors of human trafficking and providing funds for programs fighting the crime, passed the House with 401 votes. All Democrats, except for one who abstained, supported the legislation. Gaetz and 19 other Republicans voted against the bill, while eight GOP members abstained.

The legislation calls for granting $1.1 billion over five years to fund programs that came about through the implementation of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000, according to The Hill.

Gaetz took issue with the bill’s definition of “human trafficking” and its cost, spokesperson Joel Valdez told USA Today .

“The government’s failure to accurately and specifically define human trafficking allows this legislation to act as a backdoor loophole for illegal immigration and amnesty,” Valdez said. “The bill also costs over half a billion dollars to implement and gives more taxpayer money to overfunded, inefficient grant programs.”

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Well billionaires will need to get some bailouts without issuing any sort of stock or ownership to the tax payers providing the funds, first and foremost. Then, you know, it's pretty much solved :shrug:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

The key missed opportunity was when he walked up to Clinton.

If she had told him off referring to the p-grabbing stuff, it would have swung the election to her.

The way to handle stuff like this on the debate stage is with some kind of humor or subtle way of highlighting how weird the opponent is being. Gore came up to Bush at one of the 2000 debates and Bush paused and nodded at him. Given the double standards for women, Clinton likely couldn’t have done more than that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Talking heads stating we are technically not in a “legal” recession.

DV was wrong that there is such a thing as a "legal" recession. Thee closest thing is the NBER report that is the official designation.

We probably are in a recession, but aren't "officially" in a recession. It will be official when they get the actual data (not the preliminary estimates from today) and compare it to the other economic factors like real wage growth, employment, and production slowdowns.

Either way, it doesn't really matter much. The economy is slowing down and there is no disputing that. But, we are in a very unique situation where GDP may be going down, but employment and earnings aren't. The GDP contraction seems to be mostly from lowered productivity and inflation/supply chain stretches. This seems like yet another "exciting" new and unique situation the pandemic has put us in.

But, even though real wages went up a lot in the first half of 2021, they have been falling since Q3 of 2021. We might not be in an official recession, but the direction isn't good.

Basically, the U.S. economy is a boat. The boat has a large hole in it. You might be able to repair the hole before the boat meets Davey Jones, but the most common scenario when you have a hole in your boat is that your boat sinks (recession). We're in the "large hole" phase where we have a small chance of repairing it and it has not actually sunk the boat yet, but it is very likely that we are heading into the end result that includes "meeting Poseidon".

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

yronic heroism posted:

The way to handle stuff like this on the debate stage is with some kind of humor or subtle way of highlighting how weird the opponent is being. Gore came up to Bush at one of the 2000 debates and Bush paused and nodded at him. Given the double standards for women, Clinton likely couldn’t have done more than that.

Biden’s “Just shut up man” came off well.

Yeah. Humor would have worked for Clinton too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ultimately it comes down to that Hillary Clinton, and thus her campaign and support base, did not treat it as a campaign for a competitive election. Trump was the comically loathsome antagonist whose defeat was obviously a given, though there'd be some tension towards the end for the sake of drama. That's how the West Wing episode goes.