Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

And one of those was me. I realize pegging had something to do with anal but the innocent oldie that I am didn't know it involved strap ons.

Don't know what happened here (I posted this but it didn't show) but here's that 234 again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph-CA_tu5KA

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Jel Shaker posted:

is pegging seasonal?!

If your seasons are 24 hours long, sure

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As an aside have any of you also seen these lil' guys popping up locally?

My parents rescued one stuck in a cycle barrier and I've seen them pottering up one of the local main roads. My cousin apparently gets them frequently in MK as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Could be a Vimes' Boots situation.
It definitely is with the cost of lead pipe replacement, and not everyone wants (or wants the hassle of getting past their landlord) a big RO unit plumbed in, but my filtered water tap cost £15, screws into a tee on the washing machine cold so barely counts as plumbing, and the only caveat is that not all carbon filters really remove lead so I get the ones for sensitive little tropical fishies that die if they look at the wrong metal ion, which still works out far cheaper than Brita let alone bottled.

That's better than promoting the idea that we should be drinking things bottled by Nestle and PepsiCo that often aren't all that great anyway.

Tarnop posted:

Fair enough and I understand the point you were making.

For people arguing lesser evilism, here's something I was reminded of today: David Blunkett is back with an active role in the Labour party
:ohno:

Voting for David Blunkett is a vote to enable fascism, not through complex 4d calculus, but because David Blunkett is a fascist.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But in the meantime he represents a group of polite middle class briefcase wankers who at the very least are sometimes possible to shame into doing the right thing re disabilities, minorities & the environment (which as we are seeing with deaths from the 40° heat is no longer an abstract global issue - it disproportionately affects those too poor to afford aircon or moving house).

You're comparing "That guy is going to hunt you down and stab you" to "That guy is not going to try very hard to stop you getting stabbed" and it's completely deranged to call those two things the same.

Evidence required for both of these

Especially funny that you would bring up Patel as worse than nuLabour given that she's basically just ticking off the Blunkett wishlist

Oct 4, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For all we love to rag on centrists for being all "better things aren't possible," how is this poo poo any different?

I'm not saying Starmer is going to improve things at all, especially viewed through a purely left-right political axis. At best he might slightly stall the rot.

But in the meantime he represents a group of polite middle class briefcase wankers who at the very least are sometimes possible to shame into doing the right thing re disabilities, minorities & the environment (which as we are seeing with deaths from the 40° heat is no longer an abstract global issue - it disproportionately affects those too poor to afford aircon or moving house).

Compare that to the swivel eyed Tory lunatics who in the face of clear and undeniable evidence of their active, ideological destruction of society, stick their heads in the sand, refuse to listen to "so called experts," put legislation in place to silence charities, and spin ideological bullshit about how either it's not happening, or actually it's good, or the victims deserve it actually.

You're comparing "That guy is going to hunt you down and stab you" to "That guy is not going to try very hard to stop you getting stabbed" and it's completely deranged to call those two things the same.

Like yes, we laugh at the labour controls on immigrations mug. Is that the same thing as an openly fascist home secretary talking about gunboats in the channel murdering refugees? No it loving isn't.

Yes they're both poo poo. No your vote isn't going to improve things. Yes it's better to support parallel power structures. But that parliamentary power structure has control of the army, the police, the legislature etc. Putting the slightly less bad option in charge of it makes the fight against it slightly easier.

The accelerationism argument is absolutely lead-poisoned brain death, because it relies on things getting bad enough for people to overthrow the system. We already have societal breakdown, death, violence hitting the imperial core, mass protest, even riots, and the system endures. How much worse does it have to get for you to see that isn't going to loving happen?

The people giggling about accelerationism and riots are incredibly loving privelaged to be able to sit back and laugh about the kind of social chaos that is going to get a lot of us killed, especially when the end result of it is not going to be a golden age, it's going to be fascism with a small group of leftists sitting in a work camp somewhere rubbing their hands going "Any day now lads, any day now."

I mean gently caress me, it's really something to see the same people who love saying liberalism enables fasism then go on to say they won't be voting to keep a fascist party out, and also the fascists getting in is probably good in the long term actually.

With respect, I disagree.

No, you're not going to get another home sec that is trying to build a wave machine to push migrants back out to sea. Or at least you'd hope not. Starmer et al lack the imagination for that kind of evil.

But the planet is currently on fire, and you're delusional if you think Starmer and his band of middle managers are going to do anything about it. The collapse of the eco system is all that should matter to anyone. We need radical change and we need it now. Anything else is a waste of time.

And I'm sorry, but these bastards spit on democracy. They do not give two shits. After they've bullied and lied and stolen, they have the brass neck to turn around and say "But you're still gonna vote for us, right? Otherwise the other guys will get in." Voting for these shitheads legitimises them, makes it LESS likely we'll ever have left wing policies because they've managed to brand them as unpopular by sabotaging their own elections in the past.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

My parents rescued one stuck in a cycle barrier and I've seen them pottering up one of the local main roads. My cousin apparently gets them frequently in MK as well.

Haven't seen one myself, but here's a gently amusing article about one 'lost in the woods'.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/delivery-robot-lost-woods

quote:

A Guy Spotted A Delivery Robot “Lost In The Woods,” But We'd Like To Think It Was Just Trying To *Find* Itself
“He’s not lost. He’s free.”

At the start of the 19th century, poet William Wordsworth went for a stroll in England’s Lake District, saw some golden daffodils, and had a quasi spiritual experience of self-discovery in nature.

Almost 220 years later, a delivery robot has done the same.

etc

https://twitter.com/historymatt/status/1525776275939418113

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Tesseraction posted:

I've seen them around the past few months. Makes me want to get the Butlerian Jihad started.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Judith Butlerian Jihad, where we go around giving everyone genders until Glinner turns into a bollock and floats off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would like my gender to be big worm.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I would like my gender to be big worm.

TERFs count those as Male.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

he represents a group of polite middle class briefcase wankers who at the very least are sometimes possible to shame into doing the right thing re disabilities, minorities & the environment

No. He represents a group of condescending managerial wankers who constantly explain that, much as they'd like to help disabled people, they're making the necessary tough decision to impoverish them. Blair was a disaster for the disabled. Meanwhile the Tories have given us cost-of-living help while the rest of the population struggles, not because they can be 'shamed', but because they don't want to lose too many supporters to non-Tories - a fear the Labour right does not have.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Somewhere in the world, Jason Lytle smiles without knowing why

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

TERFs count those as Male.
Very large motile gametes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Pretty sure if you smash one of them up a whole roast turkey pops out and you can replenish your health bar

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You've been strobed by a Discobot. Not only are you suddenly much more likely to be shot, but you are experiencing an almost-irresistible urge to do the boogaloo.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Bobby Deluxe posted:

For all we love to rag on centrists for being all "better things aren't possible," how is this poo poo any different?

I'm not saying Starmer is going to improve things at all, especially viewed through a purely left-right political axis. At best he might slightly stall the rot.

Compare that to the swivel eyed Tory lunatics who in the face of clear and undeniable evidence of their active, ideological destruction of society, stick their heads in the sand, refuse to listen to "so called experts," put legislation in place to silence charities, and spin ideological bullshit about how either it's not happening, or actually it's good, or the victims deserve it actually.

Like yes, we laugh at the labour controls on immigrations mug. Is that the same thing as an openly fascist home secretary talking about gunboats in the channel murdering refugees? No it loving isn't.

Yes they're both poo poo. No your vote isn't going to improve things. Yes it's better to support parallel power structures. But that parliamentary power structure has control of the army, the police, the legislature etc. Putting the slightly less bad option in charge of it makes the fight against it slightly easier.

The accelerationism argument is absolutely lead-poisoned brain death, because it relies on things getting bad enough for people to overthrow the system. We already have societal breakdown, death, violence hitting the imperial core, mass protest, even riots, and the system endures. How much worse does it have to get for you to see that isn't going to loving happen?

The people giggling about accelerationism and riots are incredibly loving privelaged to be able to sit back and laugh about the kind of social chaos that is going to get a lot of us killed, especially when the end result of it is not going to be a golden age, it's going to be fascism with a small group of leftists sitting in a work camp somewhere rubbing their hands going "Any day now lads, any day now."

I mean gently caress me, it's really something to see the same people who love saying liberalism enables fasism then go on to say they won't be voting to keep a fascist party out, and also the fascists getting in is probably good in the long term actually.

so vote for them then. these extended justifications always seem more about reassuring yourself than convincing anyone else

I'm not saying I've got a plan, I'm saying he's sufficiently distant from me that I'm not motivated to go to a polling station

i don't begrudge anyone who does through choice or habit although i do rankle a bit if they claim a higher moral/intellectual ground based on some gymnastic calculus that is completely stripped from their ballot the second it leaves their hand

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

100% spot on.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Current Labour is absolutely in favour of policies to have people hunt and stab you, anyone who thinks they're simply apathetic hasn't been paying attention.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

1965917 posted:

With respect, I disagree.

No, you're not going to get another home sec that is trying to build a wave machine to push migrants back out to sea. Or at least you'd hope not. Starmer et al lack the imagination for that kind of evil.

But the planet is currently on fire, and you're delusional if you think Starmer and his band of middle managers are going to do anything about it. The collapse of the eco system is all that should matter to anyone. We need radical change and we need it now. Anything else is a waste of time.

And I'm sorry, but these bastards spit on democracy. They do not give two shits. After they've bullied and lied and stolen, they have the brass neck to turn around and say "But you're still gonna vote for us, right? Otherwise the other guys will get in." Voting for these shitheads legitimises them, makes it LESS likely we'll ever have left wing policies because they've managed to brand them as unpopular by sabotaging their own elections in the past.

Who exactly do you plan to vote for in order to get radical change now?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Starmer is desperately trying to convince me he's the worse option, though. The only criticisms the current Labour leadership has of the Tories is that they're not Torying hard enough, and that I, Keir Starmer, will be the Bigger Tory.

It's hard to get motivated to vote for someone who doesn't want your vote.

Gort fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 28, 2022

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Gort posted:

Starmer is desperately trying to convince me he's the worse option, though. The only criticisms the current Labour leadership has of the Tories is that they're not Torying hard enough, and that I, Keir Starmer, will be the Bigger Tory.

Yeah. Like clockwork every time I think "oh maybe I could vote labour as the lesser evil" Keir Starmer or Rachel Reeves come out and say something like "I call on the Tories to go further and means test the kicking of puppies". They're not just poo poo, but somewhat better than the tories like Milliband was, they keep actively saying they'll out tory the tories. At the absolute most charitable read of the last six months of labour stuff I could believe that while they would do all the evil poo poo the tories are they'd do it with a frowny face and not a big grin.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tesseraction posted:

EX-TER-MI-NAA-TE!

One grocery store in Helsinki uses them. The problem is, they can't press the button at traffic lights so they get stuck until a pedestrian comes to let them through.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I don't think any of us have a good answer to this. I change my mind all the time on whether it's worth voting for them or not and can pen lengthy thesis at will for either option.

gently caress sake basically

Oct 4, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

Who exactly do you plan to vote for in order to get radical change now?

I'm out of options basically, last election there wasn't even a green party candidate standing here so I couldn't even protest vote.

I honestly don't know what to do.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

1965917 posted:

I'm out of options basically, last election there wasn't even a green party candidate standing here so I couldn't even protest vote.

I honestly don't know what to do.

just don't vote and go worry about the things you do have some measure of control over

it's not entirely on your shoulders to fix the world, just do right where and when you can

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But in the meantime he represents a group of polite middle class briefcase wankers who at the very least are sometimes possible to shame into doing the right thing re disabilities, minorities & the environment

I would seriously question the bit in bold. There were lots of people who said this about Starmer during or just after the leadership election. That he was just a vacuous managerial type who could be pushed to do anything - including some modest left-wing stuff - if it was demonstrably popular.

Two years later and that has - surely? - proven to not only be the case but the exact opposite has happened? I'm trying to think of a time when Starmer or Labour Under Starmer has ever been shamed into doing the right thing and I can't think of an example. I would be genuinely interested in being reminded of instances where that is the case.

Starmer clearly isn't just about courting popularity to win power. If he was he wouldn't keep either missing wide open chances to say/do demonstrably popular things or saying/doing the complete opposite. The Labour right are some of the most ideological, dogmatic, narrow-minded, exclusionary bastards in a whole business of bastards. Starmer has made it abundantly clear that he doesn't want to be popular with (as he sees it) the wrong sort of people, but he is actively trying to appease a very particular and narrow part of the electorate that wants Tory policy (or even Torier-than-Tory policy) without the associations of the Tory party, and more broadly he's signalling at every opportunity that Labour (and therefore British politics) is now 'safe' for all the usual vested interests. He has no desire to do left-leaning things and wouldn't be shamed into doing them (or even better not-left things) because he has no shame. Anyone who stands up and explicitly boasts about how proud he is to not keep promises he literally put his signature to doesn't have shame.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nenonen posted:

EX-TER-MI-NAA-TE!

One grocery store in Helsinki uses them. The problem is, they can't press the button at traffic lights so they get stuck until a pedestrian comes to let them through.

Okay that's adorable.

I'm sure this is a harbinger of mankind's extermination by robots, but I find them cute.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I guess if my choice of MP candidates was just a poo poo tory candidate and a poo poo labour candidate I'd vote for the labour candidate - the tories tend to get to form governments, so I'd rationalise it as voting to reduce the power of the next tory government, and egg would be on my face if labour somehow wins.

There's usually someone else to vote for though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ASLEF GenSec once again suggesting the end of Labour https://twitter.com/MickWhelanASLEF/status/1552547114504290306

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I live in a Tory safe seat, and our current poo poo MP Mel Stride won 55% in the 2019 election, so me voting Labour would have only been a protest vote at most. For that reason, there's no way I'm going to make the effort to vote for Keith.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Labour winning a GE on their current platform of "slightly more efficient neo-liberal fuckery than the Tories" won't suddenly transform them into a party that gives a poo poo about the poor, vulnerable or disabled. It'll legitimise them being cunts to 80% of the country.

This isn't a party that has a genuine ideological reason to want to be in power. They want to be in power because they want to be in power. It's a 13 year old's presentation during a poo poo form group assembly: "Hi, I'm Keith [yeah we know Keith, gently caress off already] and when I grow up I want to be Prime Minister", then the form tutor remembers they're supposed to be teaching rather than browsing dating apps, 'Uh yeah, Keith, why do you want to be Prime Minister?' and then Keith has an aneurysm because he doesn't loving know.

It's power for power's sake. They act like cunts and get into power --> they act like cunts while in power to maintain it.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Tesseraction posted:

ASLEF GenSec once again suggesting the end of Labour https://twitter.com/MickWhelanASLEF/status/1552547114504290306

i cant see them actually disaffiliating, Unite neither.

better to slow funding to a trickle and twist the knife than leave alltogether. both options have the same price tag and one has a lot more potential upside than the other

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rustybear posted:

so vote for them then. these extended justifications always seem more about reassuring yourself than convincing anyone else

It's also laying the groundwork for future scolding, which at this point is basically a material need for lesser-evilists

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
been a bit on the soapbox with this one and i'll stop but it just gets up my nose a bit that by not voting for starmer I'm enabling fascism or w/e and i have to live with the consequences of my actions harming the less fortunate etc....but if you do vote for starmer and he does austerity or whatever other bad poo poo you can just skip away safe in the knowledge that your intentions were wholly pure and sound and the consequences aren't on you in the slightest

if you really believed in this hard consequentialist view you'd be totally paralysed by indecision; instead people seem completely certain of themselves because deep down you believe it about as much as i do

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Lots of words

Yeah, this is pretty close to where I am, at the moment at least. Disappointment after disappointment from Starmer are making it not exactly feel amazing to vote Labour next time, but I'm just not persuaded by the alternative arguments people are putting out here.

My overriding concern is to get the Tories out asap, not some vague hope that by playing 4d chess with my vote it will somehow lead to a new, more left-wing labour, or a new party (with regulated blackjack and unionised hookers).

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rustybear posted:

if you really believed in this hard consequentialist view you'd be totally paralysed by indecision; instead people seem completely certain of themselves because deep down you believe it about as much as i do

Yeah I mean, as Owlfancier and others have pointed out, you can draw a pretty straightforward line from Blair to our current shitshow and I imagine most of us voted for him. I don't blame myself or anyone for not seeing the future there (especially since I was 18 in 1997) but fool me twice and all that

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm simply motivated by the purest of emotions (spite and revenge) and want to see Starmer eat poo poo on that basis.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Politicians are going to have to face up to doing something about energy costs eventually. £500 power bills in January is not viable. Most of the country does not have £500 of slack in their budget - it’s going to be a choice between paying for power and feeding their children. You don’t need an organised non-payment strike, one will just happen anyway.

Obviously tories don’t give a gently caress about individual suffering but this is social collapse stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

BBC: British Gas owner Centrica and Shell see profits soar as bills rise

Love to see public energy subsidies going directly into private shareholder pockets.