Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gort posted:

Neat. What are those?

They're ork dakkajets and fighta bommerz from aeronautica imperialis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lucinice posted:

I'm looking to buy some fancy brushes. What sizes should I look into getting?

I do 95% of my work with a 1 and 0. The remaining 5% is a 2 and 00 :v:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I need to grab a 1, I went with a 2 as my single nice brush but it did end up being a tiny bit too big for the detail highlighting I intended to use it for. Still miles better than anything else I had on hand, though.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Lucinice posted:

I use Raphael 8404's for all basecoats, layering and highlighting.
Size 2 for 95%
Size 1 for 5%
Size 00 just for eyes.

And some crappy brushes I don't mind ruining for metallics, washes and drybrushing, also size 2 and 1.

(Size 1 and 2 have the same tip size & shape, but the 2 has a larger body so holds more paint and dries out more slowly.)

dmnz fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 28, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lucinice posted:

buy the largest ones you can use but still be technical with. Sizes across brands are not consistent at all. this is a 2, 1, 3, 4, 2, 1 (top to bottom)

from the bottom up, I use the raphael 8404 size1 for my most hyper details like pupils and highlighting. the size2 is my general use brush for being precise when basing or layers over larger surfaces. Every other brush I don't use because I use the bottom two, cheap synthetics for sloppy base coats, or the top brush for metallics and contrast.

The windsor and newton brush is way too small imo and paint will dry on the bristles too easily. The raphael #1 is the smallest brush I will ever use, and I can get super hyper detail with it while never worrying about paint drying on the bristles. Don't forget about brush soap, I wash my brushes when I'm done with a painting session for the day.

Btw for brush storage, IDK why people have fancy holders and everything when a pencil case I got at the dollar store works just fine so long as I have the little plastic thingies on the ferrules to protect the bristles..

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 28, 2022

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Over a decade ago, I had some Raphael 8404s and remember them super fondly. I haven't been able to find them stateside in the last year, so I had branched out.

I tried some Windsor & Newton brushes but the quality control is horrible. I bought three and only one can hold a point remotely better than an old beat up Citadel starter brush.

I then bought a set of the Artis Opus Series S brushes and they have been good, if a bit expensive. I'm pleased with their quality but...

The cheap brushes I bought off Amazon a year ago when I was reentering the hobby are worth looking at. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074K82SS1/ I use them as workhorse brushes for base coating, metallics, contrasts, etc and they're holding up remarkably well. I plan to snag another pack or two and just throw them in a storage drawer as backups.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Robutt - Purple cape with some blue shades (blue/silver mix?) perhaps

I can't pick only 3 colors to save my life ugh

At least I did something though

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can't pick only 3 colors to save my life ugh

At least I did something though

I like the contrasts. Good job with it! Eager to see the rest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I like the contrasts. Good job with it! Eager to see the rest.

Might not be able to see it since the agrax wash I was trying to do in specific areas, but I mixed the baharroth blue and the duraluminum together so it had a nice kind of pearl-esque hue to it, with a LITTLE bit of some Liquitex Cerulean Blue Hue I had pre-mixed into a glaze because I needed a little bit more vibrant tinting. I think next time I would just do the liquitex straight up and skip the baharroth

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

WIP for a unit of Pyke Syndicate gangsters for Star Wars Legion. I like the brown in theory but I'm thinking that maybe it oughta be a more reddish color?

E: for context most of the pure black stuff is gonna be battleship gray armor plates

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you want to emulate the Clone Wars look, yeah, needs a bit more red in it. You could drybrush the edges with a pink or light purple and it should turn out nice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

COBRA employee - Open jacket is screaming for a bright/contrasting color, like a red, yellow, maybe match it with knee pads? Color wheel the hair complementary to the jacket color chosen.

Two in one night? gently caress Yeah!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

I really like this model. The colors work well together, and I could stare at it for a while. What did you use for the chest plate and googles?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bored Online posted:

I really like this model. The colors work well together, and I could stare at it for a while. What did you use for the chest plate and googles?

Oh, my bad, I'm missing a paint for that photo shoot above. It's the Vallejo Duraluminum and agrax earthshade as a wash over it.

The shoulder pads are Dawnstone with also agrax earthshade wash over it. I knew I wanted the two to be different but I was struggling on what color to pick...

I think if I'd go back and do more, I'd probably redo the goggles. There's not a lot of metal to work with (it's a pewter model) but I was wanting them to be green with white highlights and struggled there too.

The uh...left arm holding the gun that has the weird PipBoy thing is also Dawnstone with a wash on it.

I tried hard to only use the wash in the darkest areas of the models, including the creases of the arms, the edges, etc. I did put the seraphim sepia a little over the speedpaint "fire giant orange" to try and give it slightly more...something. I used Corax white to do some of the edge highlights of the jacket....after wasting a bunch of it on the palette being chunky even after using my expensive vortex mixer to spin it around for a while. I hate this color so much but I don't have any other paint that bright

I used the "sun-bleached bone" to try and mix with the "blushing flesh" to lighten the front parts of the face a little more.

Gorthor Brown was only for adding a little bit to the base with a drybrush....which I then figured I'd try using Vallejo Pigments: European Earth for the first time and i guess it's ok...I found it hard to use.

Gun holster and belt bags are "Hardened Leather" and "Sand Golem" can't really be seen there because I used it a little on the gun, but I was stupid and didn't use it in the same way as the robot. The Vallejo metal and then Sand Golem over it has a nice pretend wood look, at least when i'm looking at it in person. I didn't do that method for the robot's gun on his back and I should have.

The hair is the dark purple and the coat is the Iyanden yellow (I don't own the new contrasts) Boots are grim black and I think that about covers it.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 28, 2022

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Three experimental skels to test out colors for a pair of Sylvaneth PCs in my AoS campaign. The green and orange on the Sylvaneth is gonna be more like 2, while the white is gonna be more like 3. Discovered that the secret to what I want to do with Nighthaunt Gloom so it'll be MUCH less dominating on the Sylvaneth's white/spirit parts. Gonna experiment on a couple more skels I got from TG Secret Santa, so the lore for these neon skels is that they're the constructed thralls of a fabulous crystal wizard. They make weird shrieking sounds like the ones in Clash of the Titans.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Two in one night? gently caress Yeah!

Absolutely nailed it. Awesome work!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i want to get good at eyes once and for all. Is there a good model kit with a lot of well-defined eyes anyone would recommend for practice?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

punishedkissinger posted:

i want to get good at eyes once and for all. Is there a good model kit with a lot of well-defined eyes anyone would recommend for practice?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have that same exact model and I can't figure out what colors I want to do for it. I'm thinking blue with spots... Oh I could do blue with this purple I love...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
DOOM Cacodemon

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have that same exact model and I can't figure out what colors I want to do for it. I'm thinking blue with spots... Oh I could do blue with this purple I love...

Some grayish-blue and yellow and you could do Xanathar.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is this the thread that had the big lip beholder a week or two ago?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cthulu Carl posted:

Painted up a beholder

Need to work a bit more on large eyes, but still happy.

Also I've decided it's canon that all beholders have one brown eye:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do spots

Eej posted:

Finally got around to finishing(?) up a 3d print I got from an Etsy ran by local goon w00tmonger. I can probably spend a lot more time on details and also fleshing out the base but this round boy has been sitting on my desk half done for like 2 months so I just filled in the blanks and I'm gonna move on to some other backlog.

He's real happy to see you

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So I've always used dullcote, but I'm preparing a handful of models at once for a friend's dnd session and want to try a spray varnish. What's the best combo for this? Any random spray gloss, then matte a day later? Are there some brands that are easier/better to achieve a good result? The op doesn't have much on spray varnishes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

hell yeah!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Here's my many eyed friend:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Eej posted:

Do spots

I love this paint job every time i see it. God drat dude!

(I have an actual website too, etsys cut is getting really brutal.... Gooseminis.com, NEWGOOSE for $10 off)

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Excuse the blutack but I just got a bag of orc bits for nothing, and I don't really like orcs, but I saw a few pieces ahead of time and got this chaotic idea stuck in my head

Good idea or bad idea?

This is just Wolfbike from Zoofights but an Ork, which means it's perfect and will win the hearts of millions the world over. You should make more in Speed Freaks colors.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Went on holiday for a week, and came back to an empty painting table having finished my previous projects and tidied my paints away before I left. So I decided to go to my pile o' shame, pick out whatever figures had been in the pile the longest and paint 'em. Which, by a technicality, is these guys, a Dashel Barker Crew for Malifaux. The technicality being that some of these guys (Dashel himself, the patrol and I think the sergeants) have been in the pile of shame for legit years but the rest of the crew has accumulated over that time in bits and pieces from mixed ebay lots. Actually only got the dogs a couple of months ago. But taken as a crew, they are the thing thats been there the longest.

Dashel Barker (2e figure) I'm kind of pleased with how he turned out tbh.

The Dispatcher (Proxy). I dont have the actual model for The Dispatcher, it only comes in the 3e Dashel crew box which I'm not planning on buying, so I decided to bash together my own using mainly parts from the through the breach male kit. I'm pleased with how the figure turned out, the paintjob... eh. I more or less managed to save the skin on the face after a series of bad 2 am painting decisions led to him looking like a zombie with his skull bursting out his face so I'll take it.

Executioner (1e metal) I watched and rewatched the Vince Venturella video on doing tattoos before doing his belly tattoo, then I completely bottled it and just grabbed my fineliner pens instead. Zero regrets. This big heavy metal bastard was 99% complete when, being ridiculously top heavy on the painting handle, he decided to take a dive off the table breaking off the pins to his base, losing an arm, and scraping the paint off his claws and nose. Some regrets. I didnt throw him out the window at that point, and frankly I think I deserve some sort of medal.

Guard Patrol, Riflemen, Sergeants and Guild Hounds (all 2e) These minions were almost entirely speed paints and metallics with some very very quick highlights and/or a bit of drybrushing. The dogs have a different basing scheme because a) they have some rocks and stuff sculpted under their paws which would look strange on cobbled streets and b) I'm pretty much out of cobbled street base inserts which I didnt realise until I came to base them.

Bonus crew shot;

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Been working on my "Dark Crusaders", for which the bulk of the work is drybrushing from dark gray up to white, then slathering AP Speedpaint Grim Black over it. I know of the Speedpaints needing to be varnished first before doing any other painting, lest the water in the other paints might reactivate it.

Here's what I ran into: on some test models, I airbrushed three different acrylic varnishes (Vallejo Premium matte, AK Interactive ultra matte, and one of the craft paint brands polyurethane ultra matte). In all three cases, the Speedpaint reactivated as soon as the varnish from the airbrush hit it. I also used a can of Krylon acrylic matte spray (mainly used for finishing acrylic canvas, I think, but I've used it on minis before as well), and that sealed everything fine with no reactivation. I only thinned the AK and craft paint brand varnishes as they recommended they be thinned, the Vallejo was thin enough straight from the bottle. I don't think I was holding the airbrush too close to the minis, and I tried not to blast the varnish out like I was using a firehose.

I don't have any pics as I repainted the test models, but I was wondering if any other Speedpaint users had encountered something similar when airbrushing varnish over Speedpaints, and if anyone had any tips/tricks to avoid that. Obviously I can use a rattlecan varnish if I absolutely need to, but then I'm limited to whether or not it's super humid/raining outside, so I'd prefer not to.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

DOOM Cacodemon

I did this with a Reaper 'Eye Beast'. My actual Beholder got to be a Pain Elemental.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

I did this with a Reaper 'Eye Beast'. My actual Beholder got to be a Pain Elemental.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

Here's my many eyed friend:

How did you do the blueish spellcasting effect? I'm considering something like that for my Maleceptor blowing up a space marine's head but haven't been able to come up with anything that looks good for a "psychic beam" effect.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

inks + glaze medium probably

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
That beholder (which is a great sculpt) comes with a couple clear plastic "magic attack" pieces like that, and they're easy to tint like GreenBuckanneer mentioned

Edit: found mine!

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 29, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Work in progress dunecrawler. Criticism appreciated.

Thinking of doing the lower leg pad, but not the foot, brass but unsure if that would be too much. Or if purple with silver spikes would look better.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I hear we’re beholder posting

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

BaronVanAwesome posted:

That beholder (which is a great sculpt) comes with a couple clear plastic "magic attack" pieces like that, and they're easy to tint like GreenBuckanneer mentioned

Edit: found mine!

Ah, drat. I thought it was a piece that was somehow built using other materials that I could recreate on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bird food bathtub posted:

Ah, drat. I thought it was a piece that was somehow built using other materials that I could recreate on my own.

You could maybe make something that looks similar with clear UV resin, either lightly tinting it before curing or going over it with one of the more translucent contrast paints (say Briar Queens Chill or Frostheart). Havent tried it myself, but if I was goig to try and replicate that, thats what I'd try. Separately from the model and gluing in on after curing, not putting the resin straight on because I would definitely gently caress it up the first 5 or so times at least.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Work in progress dunecrawler. Criticism appreciated.

Thinking of doing the lower leg pad, but not the foot, brass but unsure if that would be too much. Or if purple with silver spikes would look better.

If the upper leg is silver and purple I think brass and purple will look good on the lower leg to break it up a bit. If you hate it after its done silver will cover brass easily enough anyway. Love the colour scheme btw, very saints row.