Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Should have had a Maple leaf on the F-14.

Enemy avro arrows :allears:

We can dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Really great discussion when the response to “this film is propaganda” is either “nuh uh” or “yeah, so?”

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ok make your point

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goons are prideful war machine apologists.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

TheNamedSavior posted:

They discuss it, they analyze it, they criticize it, they make memes about it. They acknowledge it.

And yes, a movie about mostly white people murdering "faceless" enemy soldiers deserves a lot of loving discussion as to why it does that. Especially when Dunkirk did a similar technique for a real war, and guess what? People talked about it.

I think that maybe we should discuss the parallels between an massive million dollar movie, and a violent terrorist movement made by racist bootlickers...but because the movie is THAT GOOD according to the "leftists" at Something Awful.

Yeah but why actually discuss that when you can yell at people to do it for you

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Wow huge if true

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Should have had a Maple leaf on the F-14.

Apparently we were actually considering it back in the late 70s, when we ended up buying the CF-18. At first we turned down the Tomcat because of the high initial cost and the expensive maintenance.

But then, the Shah got overthrown and Iran was stuck with a bunch of big Yank fighters and no service or supply contract for them, so our government saw an opportunity to score a fleet of modern aircraft at bargain basement prices. Apparently negotiations were going great right up until our diplomats' role in the Iran hostage situation became known, and Iran kiboshed the deal.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Wow huge if true

That’s probably too harsh, I should amend it to goons turn into war machine apologists if it jacks them off hard enough.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

That’s probably too harsh, I should amend it to goons turn into war machine apologists if it jacks them off hard enough.

Keep going almost there

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Phy posted:

Apparently we were actually considering it back in the late 70s, when we ended up buying the CF-18. At first we turned down the Tomcat because of the high initial cost and the expensive maintenance.

But then, the Shah got overthrown and Iran was stuck with a bunch of big Yank fighters and no service or supply contract for them, so our government saw an opportunity to score a fleet of modern aircraft at bargain basement prices. Apparently negotiations were going great right up until our diplomats' role in the Iran hostage situation became known, and Iran kiboshed the deal.

Now you get some leafs on those f35s.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

im 14yo and never before considered that america was bad and that mr tom cruise's big film presents a sanitized, simplified depiction of the us air force.

ty brave posters for exposing this difficult truth before i enlisted. you are doing god's work on the something awful dot com forums.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
It's ok to say something is propaganda but it is also ok say that the movie kicks rear end despite that. I really enjoyed the two Wolf Warrior movies cause they had solid action but could also recognize them for what they are. Getting peeved at people for responding to some long borderline incoherent post (was anyone saying iran didn't have snow?) with anything other than "lol" is pretty silly

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
But you see a thing can only be Right or Wrong in my emotionally stunted mind...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

QuoProQuid posted:

im 14yo and never before considered that america was bad and that mr tom cruise's big film presents a sanitized, simplified depiction of the us air force.

ty brave posters for exposing this difficult truth before i enlisted. you are doing god's work on the something awful dot com forums.

it owns that this line of reasoning is why the military and law enforcement are filled with violent racists.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cop movies and war movies are my favorite things. Cops suck and wars suck. The duality of men? :confused:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vegetable posted:

Cop movies and war movies are my favorite things. Cops suck and wars suck. The duality of men? :confused:

no ur not allowed 2 like this

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

My attachment to my morals and ideological views are secure enough that I can enjoy and allow others to enjoy works of fiction that include elements that I believe are wrong or problematic, AMA.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The popularity or acceptance of movies that are propaganda for the US military machine can have some bad effects but it's merely a symptom of a larger problem, that problem being that most Americans don't inherently object to the US military machine. You have, at most, popular opposition to certain wars (which itself takes time, both Vietnam and Iraq started with most people on the pro-war side and only turning when it became obvious what disasters they were)- but they still think "yeah we need an army/navy/air force to defend ourselves." Most people, audience members, etc. can conceive of a situation where the US might be justified in bombing "the bad guys". So of course the main scenario of this movie isn't going to faze most people, since the bad guys aren't identified (and hence aren't a group that might raise an objection in themselves.)

And people HERE, on this site, are generally aware of the problems of the US military industrial complex so I'm not sure you're really aiming at the people who need to hear whatever it is you're saying.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ruddiger posted:

well yea, don cheadle owns

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

ruddiger posted:

it owns that this line of reasoning is why the military and law enforcement are filled with violent racists.
Literally no one has said otherwise in this thread, people have just been saying "wow this movie kind of rocks" and then random goons Kramer in and yell "have you considered that America sucks" and then get angry when their incoherent posting does not get a desired reaction

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

The popularity or acceptance of movies that are propaganda for the US military machine can have some bad effects but it's merely a symptom of a larger problem, that problem being that most Americans don't inherently object to the US military machine. You have, at most, popular opposition to certain wars (which itself takes time, both Vietnam and Iraq started with most people on the pro-war side and only turning when it became obvious what disasters they were)- but they still think "yeah we need an army/navy/air force to defend ourselves." Most people, audience members, etc. can conceive of a situation where the US might be justified in bombing "the bad guys". So of course the main scenario of this movie isn't going to faze most people, since the bad guys aren't identified (and hence aren't a group that might raise an objection in themselves.)

And people HERE, on this site, are generally aware of the problems of the US military industrial complex so I'm not sure you're really aiming at the people who need to hear whatever it is you're saying.

And also that part of film escapism is sometimes accepting fantasy of things that don't work out like they do in the real world. "Love at first sight" when people turbo-jump into being all into someone and putting them on a pedestal right away and do ridiculous nonsensical grand gestures ends up like Revolutionary Road or worse at the end, not like Big Fish, but it's fun to look at a Big Fish every now and then for the fantasy of "what if this worked this way." Demons don't exist, faith and religion are a huge problem - but it's fun doing a "what if" in watching The Exorcist and seeing a guy who went completely secular regaining his faith. And so on.

It becomes hard to say "we can't make a movie where this thing happens because some people will take it the wrong way" because it will be hard to get any escapism in that case because some people will always take things too far or the wrong way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah and things like "military conflict" and "crime solving/law enforcement" are just familiar and good structures for stories and you don't always have room to thoroughly disentangle them from the morality of such institutions in real life.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

B-Rock452 posted:

Literally no one has said otherwise in this thread, people have just been saying "wow this movie kind of rocks" and then random goons Kramer in and yell "have you considered that America sucks" and then get angry when their incoherent posting does not get a desired reaction

this happens all over the forums. there was someone in the mtg thread who went off about united states foreign policy while discussing card languages

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

it rocks that this line of reasoning is why the military and law enforcement are filled with violent racists.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What precise line of reasoning are you even referring to

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Critiquing the politics of a movie where a 56-year-old fighter pilot is the best in the world and survives a high-altitude explosion at Mach 10 seems like a waste of time to me but what do I know

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
War machines are good. Should've made the bad guys explicitly Russian so I could loudly cheer when they get blown up.

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

mobby_6kl posted:

War machines are good. Should've made the bad guys explicitly Russian so I could loudly cheer when they get blown up.

Have you seen the original Red Dawn?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Have you seen the original Red Dawn?
I have, but it's been a while. I imagine it would be even better now.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

TheNamedSavior posted:

The people who loving make money off of the airplanes that kill brown children in the middle east have a webpage dedicated to this movie. There's a difference between a shirt being made by a child slave and a weapon made to kill children of any class.

And the rest of your idiotic post is just saying that top gun gets a pass because "ITS DAT loving GOOD". No. That's not how loving media criticism works, on ANY planet, even ours.

Even if somehow this movie is the best written, best produced, best shot thing ever, it's still a loving movie that ends with an situation that would lead to a loving real life nuclear war, and instead uses it to celebrate how great tom cruise is.

EVERY movie deserves analysis, and even if somehow they don't, I'm pretty sure every loving god drat blockbuster about fictional soldiers using real guns, to fight in fictional wars, that strangly have strong parallels to real life geopolitics, loving deserves analysis.

Do people ignore the racism in Lord Of The Rings, Dune, Or Nearly Anything Written Before The 20th Century because they'll all well written masterpieces? No. gently caress No. They discuss it, they analyze it, they criticize it, they make memes about it. They acknowledge it.

And yes, a movie about mostly white people murdering "faceless" enemy soldiers deserves a lot of loving discussion as to why it does that. Especially when Dunkirk did a similar technique for a real war, and guess what? People talked about it.

There's literally an alt-right meme with the exact same premise. Those wastes of sperm LOVE calling people who don't agree with their shitsmeered worldviews NPCs. You know, almost as if their worldviews, emotions and passions don't matter, and that you wouldn't be harming a human being if you killed them? Like the faceless not-iranian goons who's opinions and emotions and loved ones apparently don't matter because tom cruise says so? The scientologist?

I think that maybe we should discuss the parallels between an massive million dollar movie, and a violent terrorist movement made by racist bootlickers...but because the movie is THAT GOOD according to the "leftists" at Something Awful. Not only am I wrong (for thinking that opinions aren't objective and that the supposed quality of an work doesn't overide any criticism of it for promoting world views that literally kill people), but the entire field of film criticism is wrong too! Jeez, who would've thought!

Also literally what loving world do you live in to not see the pro-nuclear war propaganda as being as bad as black panther's pro-cia propaganda? Jesus loving christ you are dense. For a leftist you sure do seem forgiving of propaganda when a "totally not north korean/iranian" gets gunned down in a well shot way?

PS The Movie Isn't That loving Good.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

the planes fly fast, low.
Bogeys on your six Maverick!
tango down, thanks Goose .

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TheNamedSavior posted:

The people who loving make money off of the airplanes that kill brown children in the middle east have a webpage dedicated to this movie. There's a difference between a shirt being made by a child slave and a weapon made to kill children of any class.

And the rest of your idiotic post is just saying that top gun gets a pass because "ITS DAT loving GOOD". No. That's not how loving media criticism works, on ANY planet, even ours.

Even if somehow this movie is the best written, best produced, best shot thing ever, it's still a loving movie that ends with an situation that would lead to a loving real life nuclear war, and instead uses it to celebrate how great tom cruise is.

EVERY movie deserves analysis, and even if somehow they don't, I'm pretty sure every loving god drat blockbuster about fictional soldiers using real guns, to fight in fictional wars, that strangly have strong parallels to real life geopolitics, loving deserves analysis.

Do people ignore the racism in Lord Of The Rings, Dune, Or Nearly Anything Written Before The 20th Century because they'll all well written masterpieces? No. gently caress No. They discuss it, they analyze it, they criticize it, they make memes about it. They acknowledge it.

There's literally an alt-right meme with the exact same premise. Those wastes of sperm LOVE calling people who don't agree with their shitsmeered worldviews NPCs. You know, almost as if their worldviews, emotions and passions don't matter, and that you wouldn't be harming a human being if you killed them? Like the faceless not-iranian goons who's opinions and emotions and loved ones apparently don't matter because tom cruise says so? The scientologist?

I think that maybe we should discuss the parallels between an massive million dollar movie, and a violent terrorist movement made by racist bootlickers...but because the movie is THAT GOOD according to the "leftists" at Something Awful. Not only am I wrong (for thinking that opinions aren't objective and that the supposed quality of an work doesn't overide any criticism of it for promoting world views that literally kill people), but the entire field of film criticism is wrong too! Jeez, who would've thought!

Also literally what loving world do you live in to not see the pro-nuclear war propaganda as being as bad as black panther's pro-cia propaganda? Jesus loving christ you are dense. For a leftist you sure do seem forgiving of propaganda when a "totally not north korean/iranian" gets gunned down in a well shot way?

PS The Movie Isn't That loving Good.

Good freaking point

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What point

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gOoD fReAkiNg pOinT

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Good freaking point

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

Like it does portray a situation where US military action against another country is justified and then the question is whether such a thing could ever be true and- like, it's possible. Maybe it hasn't happened since 1941 but I'm no historian.

It'll never be justified. And if the movie was really about that subject and not "look at these cool airplanes!" Then why loving depict the villains as faceless NPCs? (AKA: The alt-right handbook.) Wouldn't it work better to show how directly awful the villains are, and why exactly it's needed for the americans to invade their country and somehow not cause an nuclear war right afterwards?
The movie would've still sucked if it had done this, and I still would've hated it, but I bring this up to point out how much this movie is brought by committee, not by creative thought. Yet SA loves to praise it as the second coming of jesus just because WOW COOL EXPLOSIONS.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah but why actually discuss that when you can yell at people to do it for you

An terrible rebuttal.

1. What do you think I'm doing?
2. You can't discuss something without other people agreeing to.
3. It's stupid how an leftist communist is easily swayed by 80's nostalgia. It deserves to be pointed out.

Scuffy_1989 posted:

TheNamedSavior, do you feel nuclear proliferation is a good thing?

Should more countries have The Bomb?

No, and no, Top Gun does not support Nuclear Proliferation. If it does, then it's loving stupider than I thought, cause a single raid isn't gonna cause all of the scientists within whatever country they were invading to just forget how to build nukes. And it'll lead to them just invading america BACK anyways.

Which is why this movie doesn't gently caress, it just loving sucks. Why the hell do they act like the movie's ending is happy? tom loving cruise just STARTED A WAR, that's not a happy ending, that's the prequel to The Day After. Yet, it's good storytelling because "Not All Stories need to obey reality." Surely there's a difference between "A love on first sight situation doesn't actually work" and "this movie is going to lead to a nuclear war", right?

B-Rock452 posted:

I really enjoyed the two Wolf Warrior movies cause they had solid action but could also recognize them for what they are. Getting peeved at people for responding to some long borderline incoherent post (was anyone saying iran didn't have snow?) with anything other than "lol" is pretty silly

You're literally giving money to war profiteers, my man. Every loving dollar made on this movie is not going somewhere good, expect for maybe the actors (and even then they probably only got paid right after the shoot, and not actually off of the money from the box office).

wins32767 posted:

My attachment to my morals and ideological views are secure enough that I can enjoy and allow others to enjoy works of fiction that include elements that I believe are wrong or problematic, AMA.

The loving "seperate reality from fiction" poo poo goes out of the window with assholes like bill cosby. Do you really think he would've gotten as far as he did without the million dollar franchise depicting him as an friendly non-rapist? I doubt it. (Without large amounts of fame and money, the bastard would've been a body in a morgue by now, realistically.)

And I doubt it just as much with a movie that was funded by war profiteers to, presumably, get people (i.e. the average american citizen who thinks liking biden is equal to being a supporter of equal rights) into airplanes that are usually used to blow up brown children. I'm pretty sure the movie that you spend to see it in a crowded theater full of hill billies is gonna be used to help fund the church of scientology's blackmailers, judging from cruise's religious beliefs.

Apparently no one on Something Awful realizes that Culture includes Movies, and that Movies, just like Culture (which it is part of), can direct people to do terrible things thanks to misinformation.

Don't believe me? Look up The Jaws Effect.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Because its funny how you're allowed to dunk on Captain Marvel for being air force propaganda, you're allowed to dunk on Black Panther for cia propaganda, and you're allowed to dunk on the concept of Superheros in general for being (arguably) pro-fascist, and many other problematic genres/tropes (I.E. Always Chaotic Evil Orcs), but you can't criticize Top Gun because...something something airplanes are cool. Yet, the supposedly leftist SA community seems to see no issues with supporting such a idiotic movie, even when it's as close to an american remake of, say, a Japanese movie that glorified it's airplanes bombing Pearl Harbor, or the like. The airplanes are just too cool, I guess.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah and things like "military conflict" and "crime solving/law enforcement" are just familiar and good structures for stories and you don't always have room to thoroughly disentangle them from the morality of such institutions in real life.

"Bootlicking movies are just INHERENTLY GOOD STORIES" lmao, okay, here's a take, have the "crime solvers" be activists or hackivists going after capitalists instead of cops going after black people! Wow, that was hard.

quote:

Lawrence Wright's 2013 book Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief and Alex Gibney's 2015 television documentary adaptation of the same name cast a spotlight on Cruise's role in Scientology. The book and the film both allege that the Scientology organization groomed romantic partners for Cruise and that Cruise used Sea Org and Rehabilitation Project Force workers as a source of free labor. In the film, Cruise's former auditor Marty Rathbun claims that wife Nicole Kidman was wiretapped on Tom Cruise's suggestion, which Cruise's lawyer denies. Cruise's ex-girlfriend Nazanin Boniadi later compared the Scientology organization's auditioning of women to date Cruise and experiences with him to "white slavery."

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
So it would've been better had they explicitly said it was Iran?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

TheNamedSavior posted:

It'll never be justified.

So was it justified in 1941?

quote:

No, and no, Top Gun does not support Nuclear Proliferation. If it does, then it's loving stupider than I thought, cause a single raid isn't gonna cause all of the scientists within whatever country they were invading to just forget how to build nukes. And it'll lead to them just invading america BACK anyways.

Will they? Does this country have the infrastructure to mount an effective counterattack?

quote:

Why the hell do they act like the movie's ending is happy? tom loving cruise just STARTED A WAR, that's not a happy ending, that's the prequel to The Day After. Yet, it's good storytelling because "Not All Stories need to obey reality." Surely there's a difference between "A love on first sight situation doesn't actually work" and "this movie is going to lead to a nuclear war", right?

Again not supported by the text. Does this nation want to fight a massive global war? Can it? Or is this more like one of the times we threw missles at Iraq and Hussein did nothing? That was wrong of course but it did not lead to a thermonuclear exchange. You’re conflating the movie’s heroic actions being wrong with them inevitably leading to DEFCON 1 and the first is a yes and the second is a no.

quote:

Apparently no one on Something Awful realizes that Culture includes Movies, and that Movies, just like Culture (which it is part of), can direct people to do terrible things thanks to misinformation.

Don't believe me? Look up The Jaws Effect.

Yes and I’ll bring up how Full Metal Jacket also got a lot of people to join the Armed Forces so is Kubrick’s film equally contemptible?

quote:

Because its funny how you're allowed to dunk on Captain Marvel for being air force propaganda, you're allowed to dunk on Black Panther for cia propaganda, and you're allowed to dunk on the concept of Superheros in general for being (arguably) pro-fascist, and many other problematic genres/tropes (I.E. Always Chaotic Evil Orcs), but you can't criticize Top Gun because...something something airplanes are cool.

You can criticize it all you want! It’s just that nobody’s particularly interested in debating it!

quote:

”Bootlicking movies are just INHERENTLY GOOD STORIES" lmao, okay, here's a take, have the "crime solvers" be activists or hackivists going after capitalists instead of cops going after black people! Wow, that was hard.

Okay but A) that’s more a heist movie structure (as evidenced by Leverage) and B) the non-police crime solver trope is also problematic because it’s rooted in private detective agencies like the Pinkertons who were mostly relied upon for union busting. This doesn’t necessarily mean Colombo is a cop but it makes it hard to really come up with a “positive” backing for a mystery story.

(And also the thing with exposing capitalists is that they tend to do their evil in the open, and the past decade+ has been a lesson in the fact that shaming doesn’t work if you have no conscience and can attract similarly corrupted others.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Like my fellow person I do not know what you're hoping to get out of this conversation, I already paid for the ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That poster always seems angry in nearly every thread they post in. They should smoke some weed and chill.