Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
lol no one wants to watch this clip, so much delay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
This video is really not helping the defense so far.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I really wish the stream included the stenographer's live transcription. That way I could go back and quickly read what I just missed.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I feel loving horrendous if the parents are in the courtroom.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
full muting during the infowars poo poo bc gently caress that noise and gently caress jones for turning this into yet another chance to platform his bullshit

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Alright I'm tuning in a bit late now and... is Daria STILL on the loving witness stand?!

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Oh I wonder if they're trying to go "By saying its a 'staged event' we really mean that the news organizations 'staged' the coverage lolol its all a big misunderstanding"

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Yes, showing a video of Alex Jones explicitly claiming that the coverage of the shooting was staged and blue screened makes him sound very not culpable for the act of "telling people Sandy Hook was fake and staged"

*defense council returns to their snack of lead paint chips*

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

SamDabbers posted:

A juror had to go to the restroom?

*Sound of car peeling out at high speed*

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
this is hell

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Daria doesn't look very happy about this video.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I bet the stenographer is at least stoked that they put on a 17 minute video.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I genuinely have no idea what the gently caress the defense is doing showing a giant video of Alex saying that he thinks mass shootings are fake

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
"archive.org the respected group that puts the archives up"

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I feel like defense just suppressed a huge grin right there. They're probably mentally popping the champaign while watching this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does Alex Jone's attorneys know that their suppose to be arguing in favor of Alex Jones? Maybe this is all a big misunderstanding on their part?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Does Alex Jone's attorneys know that their suppose to be arguing in favor of Alex Jones? Maybe this is all a big misunderstanding on their part?

*Thinks: We've got you now Alex you son of a bitch*

*Idly glances down at notes*

'Oh poo poo. We're the defence!?!'

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan/status/1552698231078850560?s=20&t=DNZFMypOQVockE9uMxS09g

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Ok so the defense is basically establishing that Alex does think it was staged but he has evidence* and believes kids actually died so its ok that he promoted that theory.

* "Mom can we get some evidence?" "We already have evidence at home"

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I love that Alex's lawyer pointed out every 10 minutes yesterday that he had a rolling objection to Daria answering questions as a corporate representative and keeps asking her to answer questions as a corporate representative.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is stream down for anyone else?

EDIT: It's back up

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Technical issues, or is it just me?

Edit: never mind.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ryde posted:

Ok so the defense is basically establishing that Alex does think it was staged but he has evidence* and believes kids actually died so its ok that he promoted that theory.

It's already been determined that that was very not okay.

Since this trial is about the damages, what the defense seems to be arguing that the very bad things that Jones did were very normal and unexceptional. It was just an innocent mistake and they meant well, and there was nothing they could have really done to stop it because they were trying their best. Therefore, please don't make us pay the full 150 million.

Of course, if you're a thinking person, that sounds a lot like they have no remorse and will absolutely do it again.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Theyre on break now for lunch anyway. I assume returning at 1 but ???

Edit: apparently back at 1:30 as usual but I'm not positive

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's already been determined that that was very not okay.

Since this trial is about the damages, what the defense seems to be arguing that the very bad things that Jones did were very normal and unexceptional. It was just an innocent mistake and they meant well, and there was nothing they could have really done to stop it because they were trying their best. Therefore, please don't make us pay the full 150 million.

Of course, if you're a thinking person, that sounds a lot like they have no remorse and will absolutely do it again.

I think the defense if very confused about what they are arguing. They contradict their own arguments and objections repeatedly. The best I can gather is that their argument is similar to what you say. Alex legitimately believed children died but that the government was involved and this was a conspiracy to disarm America. So everything he did was in pursuit of protecting rights and free speech. He may have minimized the deaths of the children and hurt the parents but it was unintentional on his crusade to save the country. So clearly, you should fine him the smallest amount.

Edit: the problem with all that being of course that the defense is not coherently arguing it and properly tailoring their evidence to the argument. They somehow think by showing whole shows or segments that they are making him seem more like a regular media personality when they should have focused the clips on him acknowledging children died and implying the government was responsible and it was up to the people to investigate.

Now that’s a bullshit argument but it’s at least a coherent argument.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Tree Dude posted:

I love that Alex's lawyer pointed out every 10 minutes yesterday that he had a rolling objection to Daria answering questions as a corporate representative and keeps asking her to answer questions as a corporate representative.

I believe that the rolling objection was overruled this morning. Probably because of that. I think they had a bench-approach conversation about it towards the start of the defense's time yesterday.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Lawlicaust posted:

Wait, are they really trying to give more detail to the conspiracy theories as a defense???

Like are they trying to say that Alex legitimately believed there was a government conspiracy (and wink wink, jurors, maybe there was) so they should take it easy on him?

Jesus Christ these people are stupid.

It is really very similar to the defense they are lining up for Trump. He "legitimately believed" there was election fraud, he was treated very badly, and it was very bad for Are Great Country. Therefore, everything he did, including engineering the assault on the Capitol to stop certification was justified.

As many have said, it's like saying "I believed my bank had stolen money from me therefore I was justified in attempting to rob the bank"

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

ILL Machina posted:

I believe that the rolling objection was overruled this morning. Probably because of that. I think they had a bench-approach conversation about it towards the start of the defense's time yesterday.

He also asked her questions as a corporate rep yesterday

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

MrMojok posted:

It is really very similar to the defense they are lining up for Trump. He "legitimately believed" there was election fraud, he was treated very badly, and it was very bad for Are Great Country. Therefore, everything he did, including engineering the assault on the Capitol to stop certification was justified.

As many have said, it's like saying "I believed my bank had stolen money from me therefore I was justified in attempting to rob the bank"

and in both cases, Trump and Jones, neither actually believes what they're claiming they do as the deflection, they just know how to use plausible deniability as a shield

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anyone putting out some highlights from this stuff? I'm cautiously curious but don't really want to watch the whole loving thing.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
alex jones' defense is "i'm backed by billionaires, what're you gonna do?" and it's the only defense you need in america.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lawlicaust posted:

I think the defense if very confused about what they are arguing. They contradict their own arguments and objections repeatedly. The best I can gather is that their argument is similar to what you say. Alex legitimately believed children died but that the government was involved and this was a conspiracy to disarm America. So everything he did was in pursuit of protecting rights and free speech. He may have minimized the deaths of the children and hurt the parents but it was unintentional on his crusade to save the country. So clearly, you should fine him the smallest amount.
Jones' lawyers seem more competent than Elmer Woodard, but there's only so much you can do when your client is a total basket case who won't shut up.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is there anyone putting out some highlights from this stuff? I'm cautiously curious but don't really want to watch the whole loving thing.

The podcast Knowledge Fight did a 1 hour ep about Tuesday's hearing, and iirc they're going to do recaps of Weds and Thursday.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just tuned in and they are at lunch. I looked at Jordan's twitter feed... what was the 17 minute clip the defense played, that Jordan said was basically just stalling/trying to get people to lose focus?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

MrMojok posted:

I just tuned in and they are at lunch. I looked at Jordan's twitter feed... what was the 17 minute clip the defense played, that Jordan said was basically just stalling/trying to get people to lose focus?

That was the 50 minute clip. It was just a recording of a full hour segment of Jones' show with callers and stuff, talking a bunch about Sandy Hook and also other random poo poo

It was super boring and everyone other than the main defense lawyer was zoning out by about minute 10, even the judge.

the 17 minute clip was of Alex talking about how the CNN coverage of Sandy Hook was staged, and that while real kids may have died he still thinks the event itself was a false flag.

It...did not help their case imo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

The podcast Knowledge Fight did a 1 hour ep about Tuesday's hearing, and iirc they're going to do recaps of Weds and Thursday.

Oh poo poo, I forgot they used to do tons of Alex Jones stuff, so that only makes sense. I'll check it out, thanks.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot they used to do tons of Alex Jones stuff, so that only makes sense. I'll check it out, thanks.

Knowledge Fight is nigh-exclusively Alex Jones stuff lol

You might be thinking of another podcast in the constellation of 'vaguely comedic coverage of right wing figure' media

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lawlicaust posted:

They're not exactly claiming that Jones believed children were alive, but that he was just really confused and frightened and was never sure what to believe. They're trying to claim Jones and those he platformed acted badly because they were traumatized by the shooting, and are perhaps already suffering enough. This absolutely explains the "I wish it was a false flag so that the kids would still be alive" shitshow: one of the few things Daria would state clearly is that she believed that people like Halbig had their brains broken by the events.

At the same time, the defense is emphasizing that everything that happened was SOP for Infowars - that shooting everything live and without a script while accepting "millions" of random calls and e-mails meant that it was impossible to verify anything and they were never in control of their actions. So, while bad things did happen, it was because they were just so overwhelmed and confused with everything around them.

But, yeah, they're simultaneously claiming it was all in the name of defending Free Speech and the constitution and whatnot - so they ultimately don't deserve a harsh punishment because they are heroes. Meanwhile, they're doing their best to smear the plaintiffs as greedy money-grubbers (at least to the public).

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 28, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Jordan Holmes from KF is live-tweeting in detail if you'd rather read. He's https://twitter.com/gotobedjordan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

The above defense described by SMG then promptly falls apart because the plantiffs have already established Alex jones continued his denial of events and attacks on the parents for *years*, nearly a decade in fact, so there's no way he was still confused in, say, 2018