Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Robot Style posted:

It would've been kind of funny to see Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy as a title on a game case.

Though according to the Lucasarts book Rogue Leaders, they did have an actual Jedi Knight 3 on the table at some point, along with another spinoff called Jedi Outlaw:

There's some nice logo art in there, and I think "Shadows of the Sith" is probably a better subtitle than "The Force Awakens" even if I also think maybe the whole Sith/Jedi thing should have finished with Return of the Jedi. That aside, the "Star Wars: Darth Maul" logo reminds me that there was a book released in the old EU about some schlubs who find out some piece of Palpatine's plan and try to report it, so Palpatine sics Maul on them and the main core of the book is Maul chasing them to kill them almost like a slasher flick villain. I haven't read it in years, but I remember quite liking it.

Edit: If Lucasarts had made a Star Wars: Rebel Scum game, Ian McDiarmid should have announced the title at the start screen.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, that Darth Maul logo art is the most 90's Chaos Comics thing. Darth Maul is going to fight the Redeemer, buy the comic and have it spray-painted on your van directly.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

tsob posted:

There's some nice logo art in there, and I think "Shadows of the Sith" is probably a better subtitle than "The Force Awakens" even if I also think maybe the whole Sith/Jedi thing should have finished with Return of the Jedi.

Funnily enough, JJ Abrams actually wanted to call Episode 7 Shadows of the Empire, which had to be nixed because it had already been used by the video game.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I would argue that ST09 is the best movie JJ has ever made?

I also thought the third one was the closest to trying to capture that old trek charm but not only did it have to go full 'evil human captain is the real villain' AGAIN but Simon Pegg wrote his own role to be way bigger than it should be and his whole schtick was getting old by that point

Force Awakens, super 8, and Mission Impossible 3 and ST are all great and fun movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LionArcher posted:

Force Awakens, super 8, and Mission Impossible 3 and ST are all great and fun movies.

Hard agree. It’s TV, but I also love the first two seasons of Alias, which are the seasons he was involved with.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Force Awakens is a prologue to a movie that never happened and is worse in retrospect for it, Super 8 can't decide if it's fun Spielberg whimsy or about a horrific man-eating monster and never remotely reconciles these ideas, MI3 is good, Star Trek is a little better :shrug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Lt. Danger posted:

Star Wars: Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy

e: KOTOR1 would have been a fine base for the sequel trilogy to rip off, instead of what we got

Eh, I dunno. Love the Kotors, as games to play, but I doubt much of the story would make for good movies.

Robot Style posted:

That kind of backstory would actually work with a lot of the existing assets from Episode 7: (and the next 2 as well imo)

See? The ST is already broadly similar, and it sucks!

Clean Your Teeth posted:

star wars
SCUM
and
VILLAINY

Origin movies for every phrase spoken by an OT character lmao

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blood Boils posted:

Origin movies for every phrase spoken by an OT character lmao

It was a Lucasarts logo i.e. the game division. So it'd be a videogame, presumably about the less respectable citizens of Mos Eisley. I'm just going to assume it's one of those restaurant sims where you have to make increasingly complex drinks/food for the customers, with minor distractions to keep the player off-balance, with those in this case being less "clean the toilets" and more "break up bar brawls", "kick out droids" etc.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Omega Force is on record as having said that they also want to make some sort of Star Warriors, but they were never able to get the license holders to the negotiating table.

You are the bringer of pain.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I think fans are trying to finish the abandoned Battlefront 3? That might be the closest we get to a Star Wars musou, sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxr-yA5yhmc

And even that's a stretch and not musou enough.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

The only issues with TLJ's aesthetics is the lack of wipes and irises. This is an issue for all of the sequels.

This reminds me of something that I found really 'weird' but never really got talked about.

Was Luke's montage in TLJ the first Star Wars film where a character was talking but not onscreen or implied to be? It always felt like it was breaking some massive Star Wars filming rule but then it felt like I was the only person to notice it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

Force Awakens is a prologue to a movie that never happened and is worse in retrospect for it, Super 8 can't decide if it's fun Spielberg whimsy or about a horrific man-eating monster and never remotely reconciles these ideas, MI3 is good, Star Trek is a little better :shrug:

This. Force Awakens is the one movie needed to be salvaged by the other movies because it’s such a made in China copy.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Blood Boils posted:

Eh, I dunno. Love the Kotors, as games to play, but I doubt much of the story would make for good movies.

thinking less a direct adaptation and more the broader strokes. which, I mean, it's just Caesar and the fall of the Roman Republic, right?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
super 8 is good. TFA, imho, is the best of the ST, even though I agree it sets up a lot of stuff that never pays and is fundamentally screwed by the fact it kinda tries to be a sequel and a remake at the same time

Also, I love Lost (please dont yell at me)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Lt. Danger posted:

thinking less a direct adaptation and more the broader strokes. which, I mean, it's just Caesar and the fall of the Roman Republic, right?

That's the setting, sure, but the plot of the games themselves is probably closer to....I dunno Hook?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, I love Lost (please dont yell at me)

Same but Abrams doesn't deserve much of the credit or blame there.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I remember sitting down to watch TFA, being cautiously optimistic because those trailers looked pretty cool. I walked out of that move a sad and broken man. Still can't believe I stayed until the end.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He is one of the creators, thought I really have no idea what exactly was his part there

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Elias_Maluco posted:

He is one of the creators, thought I really have no idea what exactly was his part there

IIRC he was there for Season 1? He, Lieber, and Lindelof were tasked with making a Survivor/Castaway mashup of a TV show, and the rest is history.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

The broad concept for Lost was kicking around ABC but Abrams and Lindelof (who was brought on because Abrams was still busy with Alias) were the ones to nail down the specifics of the first few episodes and the initial cast. Then in season 1 Abrams was busy with Mission Impossible so Carlton Cuse and Lindelof became the showrunners, and from then on Abrams had minimal involvement (outside of a single teleplay credit).

It would have been a very different show without him but he also just didn't work on it for the vast majority of its run.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

Omega Force is on record as having said that they also want to make some sort of Star Warriors, but they were never able to get the license holders to the negotiating table.

What I meant to say was, "The negotiations haven't started because the ambassadors aren't there? How could that be true? I have assurances from the chancellor..."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Lost is fine, it just suffers from a meandering middle because it actually wasn't planned. Once they got a plan for the last few seasons and built/wrote around it, it was fine again.

Also had far too many episodes because of network TV. You see how much better Lindelof got without having to showrun hundreds of episodes with The Leftovers and especially Watchmen.

But yeah, almost no Abrams there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Darko posted:

Also had far too many episodes because of network TV. You see how much better Lindelof got without having to showrun hundreds of episodes with The Leftovers and especially Watchmen.
Or even S4 of Lost when the writers' strike meant they had to have a shorter season and it ended up as one of their best.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Blood Boils posted:

KOTOR1 is basically the most generic rehash of SW hero's journey story beats possible. So in that sense it makes for about as good a movie as we got in TFA.

Chucat posted:

This reminds me of something that I found really 'weird' but never really got talked about.

Was Luke's montage in TLJ the first Star Wars film where a character was talking but not onscreen or implied to be? It always felt like it was breaking some massive Star Wars filming rule but then it felt like I was the only person to notice it.

I believe that is the first time we've gotten voiceover and a flashback in a Star Wars film.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

PeterWeller posted:

I believe that is the first time we've gotten voiceover and a flashback in a Star Wars film.

Are we counting diegetic flashbacks? Because that'd make TFA the first to have them. TLJ's is non-diegetic, narrated, and much longer.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Chucat posted:

How about the random voiceovers when Rey touches the lightsaber and trips? Which, as far as I can remember, never got any sort of explanation despite seeming super important in TFA.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Glottis posted:

How about the random voiceovers when Rey touches the lightsaber and trips? Which, as far as I can remember, never got any sort of explanation despite seeming super important in TFA.

They were addressed... from a certain point of view (chucked out of the picture when Luke tossed his father's lightsaber over his shoulder).

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

PeterWeller posted:

KOTOR1 is basically the most generic rehash of SW hero's journey story beats possible. So in that sense it makes for about as good a movie as we got in TFA.

I kind of disagree, it's a generic rehash of every Bioware plot ever and those are tailor-made for a RPG power fantasy. Adapting that in a different medium would demand a not insignificant amount of changes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ironslave posted:

Are we counting diegetic flashbacks? Because that'd make TFA the first to have them. TLJ's is non-diegetic, narrated, and much longer.

I remember watching that the flashback really felt out of place in Star Wars.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Clean Your Teeth posted:

star wars
SCUM
and
VILLAINY

It was gonna be an adventure game. SCUMM and Villainy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bogus Adventure posted:

LucasArts getting shuttered really sucked. And none of these game developers have the courage to give me a next gen X-Wing game. Squadrons is okay, but it feels so small. I just want a game that lets me fly and fight in the Battle of Endor with today's graphics.

Comrade, have I got some good news for you. It take Alliance, adds the fan-made asset upgrade mods, and then layers on top of that all the missions and cutscenes from TIE Fighter, and a whole new "re-imagined" campaign. Plays just like the old one, looks almost modern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVrdwZ9bEk

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

mllaneza posted:

Comrade, have I got some good news for you. It take Alliance, adds the fan-made asset upgrade mods, and then layers on top of that all the missions and cutscenes from TIE Fighter, and a whole new "re-imagined" campaign. Plays just like the old one, looks almost modern.

That is very pretty, but I would feel icky flying for the Imperials. That was one part about Squadrons I haaaaaaaaaaated. :negative:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

mllaneza posted:

Jesus that looks amazing. I instantly started itching to play the original again the second the trailer started, with the wonky 1994 graphics; wondering where I had a joystick stuffed. My poor laptop would explode if I even tried playing that new version though, gorgeous as it looks. I wonder if whoever did it wants to do the X-Wing game too; both were rad as hell. I love that the first comment is from one of the X-Wing Alliance devs, saying it looks great. Thanks for letting me know it exists, regardless.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mllaneza posted:

:aaa:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

mllaneza posted:

:love::love::love:

drat I'd love to play that. I was just thinking about how much I missed the old games last week, and now i see this. If they also do an X-Wing upgrade in the style of this, I'll get a proper PC or whatever I need to play it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Darko posted:

Lost is fine, it just suffers from a meandering middle because it actually wasn't planned. Once they got a plan for the last few seasons and built/wrote around it, it was fine again.

But yeah, almost no Abrams there.

Lindelof's Watchmen was as incoherent and directionless as the ST :colbert:

YaketySass posted:

I kind of disagree, it's a generic rehash of every Bioware plot ever and those are tailor-made for a RPG power fantasy. Adapting that in a different medium would demand a not insignificant amount of changes.

I dunno about a movie but 'the hero goes around solving people's problems until they eventually stumble onto the main plot again' style of RPG is basically all the good episodes of the Mandalorian so I could see a KOTOR show working well

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

Lindelof's Watchmen was as incoherent and directionless as the ST :colbert:

Really? It was coherent and understandable to me. :shrug:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I liked a lot about it, but...making the KKK gay rapist a secret black guy was definitely, uh, a choice.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Halloween Jack posted:

I liked a lot about it, but...making the KKK gay rapist a secret black guy was definitely, uh, a choice.

They gotta stop giving Chapelle work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

The show takes a lot of liberties with the material, and Hooded Justice's identity never being confirmed gave them an opening to change his actual backstory. It has been a while since I've watched the series, but I think the Rolf Müller theory is the Hooded Justice shown in the superhero TV show. I feel like the change paid off.

It's not perfect (I would have liked to have learned about what happened to Nite Owl), but it taught me more about the Tulsa race massacre than I ever learned in school (which was nothing).

porfiria posted:

They gotta stop giving Chapelle work.

lmao