Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

The General posted:

I wish so goddamn much my iPad had a traditional file structure. So goddamn much. I don't use the cloud which makes sharing video files such a pain.

It does if you look in the Files app, there's a user-accessible local filesystem in addition to iCloud and any third-party file providers. Whether the apps you use are designed to work with arbitrary filesystem locations is another story, but the support is there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Vaguely sorta there, but not really supported by anything isn't really all that great ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I swear that at least one of the comics apps just opens an FTP server or something you can just upload poo poo to but it's been forever since I've used one

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
This was already half mentioned, but Files can browse network shares as well. Panels can use the Files app to import from network shares without any other messing around. It is behind Panel’s paywall, but it’s worth it to me.

There’s a lot of additional complexity you can get into if you have a NAS with comic storage and Panels and Chunky both support that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
For anyone in AU looking for a bargain or otherwise on the fence, you can currently stack 3 separate discounts on the iPad (or some older Macs.)

Higher Education Store, Cashrewards and Apple GC mean you're effectively getting slightly more than 20% off RRP. Brings the price of the base iPad9 to about 385 from 499.
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/715063

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Paprika is a proper recipe book and is a one time purchase I think but it does manage multiple timers at the same time. If you have the recipe saved the times in it will be highlighted and it’s a matter of clicking and starting

It’ll scrub a URL for recipes so it’s super easy to save stuff in it

You can make a (free) account on their site and have sync across devices. I’ve used it for many, many years and it’s been great.
Awesome, I'll check out Paprika then!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome, I'll check out Paprika then!

Seconding Paprika. Big fan of the website scraping feature.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I think of iOS apps that I have zero regrets shelling money out for, Paprika is quite literally at the top of that list.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love Paprika but I don’t always trust the auto import, sometimes it leaves stuff out ime. But it’s still awesome

E- but not if

Snowy fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 26, 2022

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Snowy posted:

I love Paprika but I don’t always trust the auto import, sometimes it leaves stuff out ime. If it’s still awesome

Yeah, I’ve been burned by that once or twice. Usually do a once over after importing just to make sure.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I didn’t know about Paprika and have been using Mela instead and it scrapes everything very well

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What's the difference between the iPad and the iPad Air?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Annath posted:

iPad Air has (compared to the iPad)

• Better processor
  • More RAM
  • Better screen
  • Smaller bezels
  • USB C instead of lightning
  • TouchID in the power button, since there's no home button
  • Faster WiFi (and cellular options)
  • Uses the same pencil/keyboard as pro line. iPad uses the older pencil and keyboard.

iPad Air is closer to the iPad Pro, but there in case you can't quite hit that price point. For most uses iPad is going to be fine (although there may be a new model in the fall).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 27, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Annath posted:

Two hundred twenty dollars (Canadian) for the same storage

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm the weird one that feels like there's not a lot of reason for the Air to exist. It doesn't have a 120 Hz screen which to me defeats a large reason why you'd want to spend the extra money.

I've got a 3rd gen iPad Pro 11 inch and an 8th gen base iPad. If you're willing to get the Air I really feel like you should just go straight to the Pro. Obviously, enough people disagree with my assessment that the Air's pretty popular, but that's merely my take on it.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The iPad Air is for people who can't be caught with the base model but too broke to actually buy something worthwhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All iPads are beautiful imo

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

anothergod posted:

The iPad Air is for people who can't be caught with the base model but too broke to actually buy something worthwhile.

The reviews I saw were the opposite, they said the Air is really good and the pro isn't worth the upgrade unless you really care about 120hz. I'm really happy with mine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

prom candy posted:

The reviews I saw were the opposite, they said the Air is really good and the pro isn't worth the upgrade unless you really care about 120hz. I'm really happy with mine.

120hz, 4 speakers instead of 2, thunderbolt instead of usb-c, and another 100 nits of brightness, meaning it can meet the minimum of hdr (600nits)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mister Facetious posted:

120hz, 4 speakers instead of 2, thunderbolt instead of usb-c, and another 100 nits of brightness, meaning it can meet the minimum of hdr (600nits)

None of that is worth multiple hundreds of dollars to me

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Usb c is almost worth it on its own :v:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

prom candy posted:

None of that is worth multiple hundreds of dollars to me

I got my 128gb pro new for about £40 more than the cost of the 2022 64gb iPad Air. There are deals about now the new announcements loom, although this one was a damaged box outlet store deal so an even deeper discount. But yes it’s worth checking eBay, outlet stores, etc. As always with Apple stuff, the Apple Store itself should be your very last port of call. Even Amazon usually does a bit of a discount.

Edit: wait never mind I didn’t see your prior post - you already own an iPad, you’re just looking to justify your purchase. I mean the colour options are cool!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

I mean the colour options are cool!

If the M1 Air had come in last year's green I would have bought it; no questions asked... :sigh:

gently caress TouchID though.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

I got my 128gb pro new for about £40 more than the cost of the 2022 64gb iPad Air. There are deals about now the new announcements loom, although this one was a damaged box outlet store deal so an even deeper discount. But yes it’s worth checking eBay, outlet stores, etc. As always with Apple stuff, the Apple Store itself should be your very last port of call. Even Amazon usually does a bit of a discount.

Edit: wait never mind I didn’t see your prior post - you already own an iPad, you’re just looking to justify your purchase. I mean the colour options are cool!

Is this really a fair comparison though? You are comparing the normal cost of the iPad Air with a deeply discounted iPad Pro. The fair comparison is to also painstakingly look for a deeply discounted iPad Air and compare those prices. Maybe Pros go on sale more often? But what would the cause of that be?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

LPG Giant posted:

Is this really a fair comparison though? You are comparing the normal cost of the iPad Air with a deeply discounted iPad Pro. The fair comparison is to also painstakingly look for a deeply discounted iPad Air and compare those prices. Maybe Pros go on sale more often? But what would the cause of that be?

It goes on sale more often because it’s a year or so older I imagine? The new air is a lil too fresh for the seriously deep discounts. I bought my pro a couple of months ago, so I did painstakingly look for discounted 2022 airs initially. The whole comparison also gets jacked up by the fact that 64gb isn’t enough but 256 is excessive and expensive, which are the two options for an air.

So yeah, if you can find a 128gb pro for less than the cost of a 256 air, that’d 100% be my recommendation.

Mister Facetious posted:

If the M1 Air had come in last year's green I would have bought it; no questions asked... :sigh:

To be honest, Face ID is great when you’re holding the thing in your hand. But I think I’d actually prefer touch ID for a lot of use cases - for example, if it’s just in the room with you as you’re cooking, or if it’s on a stand at your desk, it’s kind of annoying to have to sort of bend into the iPad to let it unlock. Would be much easier just to have a thing on the corner to touch.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

I loved TouchID and welcome it back on the iPhone/iPad Pro whenever Apple figures out how to do it under the screen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use my iPad's speakers so infrequently, if it had none at all I'd only be a tiny little bit upset.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

To be honest, Face ID is great when you’re holding the thing in your hand. But I think I’d actually prefer touch ID for a lot of use cases - for example, if it’s just in the room with you as you’re cooking, or if it’s on a stand at your desk, it’s kind of annoying to have to sort of bend into the iPad to let it unlock. Would be much easier just to have a thing on the corner to touch.

If there's one thing my use case has shown, I never have it "lying flat", thanks to the smart folio cover I bought. It's always standing up. So FaceID and tap to wake would be key upgrades over my 9th gen.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

If there's one thing my use case has shown, I never have it "lying flat", thanks to the smart folio cover I bought. It's always standing up. So FaceID and tap to wake would be key upgrades over my 9th gen.
Oh, I don't mean lying flat - I mean standing upright is where it's most fussy.
You kind of have to square up to it for it to register. So it's fine if its in your hand, but when it's standing up is usually the worst moment to face-id because it's probably not going to be level with your face. So if I've got it standing in its folio on the kitchen counter (or even on my desk a lot of the time), I have to hunch into the thing for it to clock me - whereas touchID would be a lot quicker I think.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Oh, I don't mean lying flat - I mean standing upright is where it's most fussy.
You kind of have to square up to it for it to register. So it's fine if its in your hand, but when it's standing up is usually the worst moment to face-id because it's probably not going to be level with your face. So if I've got it standing in its folio on the kitchen counter (or even on my desk a lot of the time), I have to hunch into the thing for it to clock me - whereas touchID would be a lot quicker I think.

If it works for my iPhone 11 on a stand it should work for an iPad. :shrug:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got a 64GB Air because my dad, who was ordering it for me, decided he didn't want to spend money on the regular iPad when it didn't have all the new features.

I kinda wish there had been a 128GB option, because comics are big, but 64 is fine for me.

I'm glad it has USB C, because all my other devices are android so I have plenty of C cables.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
One thing I learned last month that I really like is that the iPads with USB-C work as a battery bank as well. Kind of rules.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

One thing I learned last month that I really like is that the iPads with USB-C work as a battery bank as well. Kind of rules.

Yeah, I use it to power a raspberry pi on road trips. It's pretty convenient.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Annath posted:

I got a 64GB Air because my dad, who was ordering it for me, decided he didn't want to spend money on the regular iPad when it didn't have all the new features.

I kinda wish there had been a 128GB option, because comics are big, but 64 is fine for me.

I'm glad it has USB C, because all my other devices are android so I have plenty of C cables.

Honestly it makes the iPhone holdouts that say Lightning is fine and they don't need to change it sound ridiculous. USB-C on iPad is wonderful - they need to freaking modernize the iPhone.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Kirios posted:

Honestly it makes the iPhone holdouts that say Lightning is fine and they don't need to change it sound ridiculous. USB-C on iPad is wonderful - they need to freaking modernize the iPhone.

Absolutely. Having an android phone and an apple tablet has its annoying moments, but it's nice to just take the one charger to work with me in the morning.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

The Grumbles posted:

I got the features I wanted at the cheapest price I could without loving around with eBay or kijiji. Deals on electronics in general are also harder to come by in Canada. I'm glad you're happy with your pro and congrats on the deal hunting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

prom candy posted:

Deals on electronics in general are also harder to come by in Canada.

:smith:

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Kirios posted:

If they add USB C to the iPhone I’ll still be stuck with lightning on my AirPods anyhow :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Flyndre posted:

If they add USB C to the iPhone I’ll still be stuck with lightning on my AirPods anyhow :(

Have you considered the all new AirPod pro 2.0 now with USB C? https://bgr.com/tech/airpods-pro-2-usb-c-port-leak/amp/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

lmfao 299 for airpods pro gently caress off apple