Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m a goody-goody who never lets her sims make enemies and this is the first time I’ve heard that sims are able to hatefuck. When did they add that?

Well when TS4 decoupled romance and friendship, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's very funny that 22 years later we finally have friends with benefits, especially when we got hatefucking so long ago now

We already had the ability to make woohoo clubs since Get Together, so platonic sex isn't new. For some reason they decided the high school expansion was the time to add gently caress buddies.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dr. Stab posted:

We already had the ability to make woohoo clubs since Get Together, so platonic sex isn't new. For some reason they decided the high school expansion was the time to add gently caress buddies.

Snark aside, it's just because they decided the high school expansion was the time to add actual sexualities, instead of it being something you have to micromanage. And part of that means decoupling romance and sex, because it's 2022 and asexuals and aromantics and "I'm willing to date X, but I wouldn't say no to boning Y" are all things. Let's not be weird about things they're doing for representation.

As an aside, it's a shame nonbinary identities are really awkward in this system. At least they're clear it's because Sims 4 has gender fundamentally built into the code and popular understanding of gender's just changed a lot in the past eight years.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's just kinda funny that to represent queerness, they had to add straight people and gently caress buddies (tbf having sex w/your friends is pretty queer). I totally like the change and this is similar to the gender update in that it exposes all the ways sexuality manifests in the game and makes it user configurable, which is the best way to do it, even if it means showing their rear end on how gender binary the underlying systems are.

And, it makes total sense why they would add it. Like, by digging into sexuality configuration, they realized they could easily make ace sims, and aroace sims. And, well, then you should probably have the ability to be aro but not ace, but that would need new gameplay to be able to actually do something in the game, and hence, new sex mechanics in an expansion focused on teenagers.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

It's just kinda funny that to represent queerness, they had to add straight people and gently caress buddies (tbf having sex w/your friends is pretty queer). I totally like the change and this is similar to the gender update in that it exposes all the ways sexuality manifests in the game and makes it user configurable, which is the best way to do it, even if it means showing their rear end on how gender binary the underlying systems are.

And, it makes total sense why they would add it. Like, by digging into sexuality configuration, they realized they could easily make ace sims, and aroace sims. And, well, then you should probably have the ability to be aro but not ace, but that would need new gameplay to be able to actually do something in the game, and hence, new sex mechanics in an expansion focused on teenagers.

Yeah, it's cool. I just read your last post as being vaguely pissy about it existing and I wanted to stop that argument before it started. It's the internet, reading tone is hard sometimes, you know how it is.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
All this talk of the decline of pansexualism in the sims and no talk of the new pack adding beard/leg hair growth

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Also curved walls

curved walls

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Right yes, fuckbuddies is what I meant sorry.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Helith posted:

Also curved walls

curved walls

Note: the windows and doors have not been adjusted to accommodate this, plan accordingly.

Idk if that's actually true btw but it probably is knowing EA

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Ruflux posted:

Note: the windows and doors have not been adjusted to accommodate this, plan accordingly.

Idk if that's actually true btw but it probably is knowing EA

There's actually just a subset of windows/doors in the build menu that fit on small or large curved walls, which has the ones they added in this pack that curve and the ones in the base game that are still flat but won't clip weirdly. So it's not as good as you'd hope, but about as good as you could reasonably expect from the Sims team trying.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they’re never making a real 5 huh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just want some good leg tattoos. :ohdear:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

is CC in this game still spread across a million different individual Tumblrs or did a central website for it become a thing again

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Badger of Basra posted:

is CC in this game still spread across a million different individual Tumblrs or did a central website for it become a thing again

I use Mod The Sims for my purposes, but I'm not into adding 50,000 new dresses and hairstyles, maybe those would be better served browsing hundreds of tumblrs.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
The Sims CC subreddit is unfortunately one of the better places to find some, but Sims CC drama across the board is worse than even Skyrim. It's legit one of the shittiest modding communities around, most people involved are absolutely insane. Especially the patreon stuff

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Sims Modding community is like a siren song for deranged lunatics. The one that I remember well is the patreon modder who paywalled all of her stuff, required her subscribers to DM her so she could send them a customized version of her content, then packaged each content package with the subscriber's number in embedded in the blender texture file metadata, and started doxxing people she suspected of leaking her content. This included photoshopping personal pictures of subscribers to try and make it look like they were doing illegal things at work and sending them to their workplace.

This culminated in a huge number of the patreon CC creators being outed as sharing and doxxing their own patrons who they suspected as leaking their custom content, also a healthy dosage of real life death threats made to families and friends of the suspected leakers. Over, I poo poo you not, custom models of moose statues and decor entitled "Clutter and knick-knacks". The cherry on top is that apparently most of the actual models were stolen from brands because one of the modders had professional access to a large number of proprietary models through her position at an architecture school.

The saga is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesimscc/comments/r9rf00/please_dont_support_creators_that_violate_ea_tos/

https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...utm_name=iossmf

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Circle rooms! They are here!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Someone’s posted a list of new objects in the expansion: https://www.reddit.com/r/thesims/co...utm_name=iossmf

I’m kinda bummed at how generically fashionable it all looks. Maybe I’m just old and high schools are different now, but I recall much more of people being extremely badly dressed and a lot of cheap-rear end clothing than it being some destination for expert stylists. It’s the time in our lives we all look like idiots while learning how to do all this stuff properly.
Lately in general I’ve been kinda sulking over how “good” everyone looks in Sims 4. I was searching for a bald spot hairstyle and there’s only like one option; it just makes me think back to the Sims 1 models which were of course super restrictive but had so much character.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Careful if you play on long lifespan, the update introduced a bug which makes sims age up early for some reason.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Don't update; it's completely broken. Sims aging up suddenly, needs suddenly going down to nothing and killing sims, etc. Also apparently the new wants and fears system sometimes causes incest-related wishes. EA pushed out completely untested broken garbage once again.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
And curved wall ceilings are janky af too!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Sims 4 ending up as a jankier pièce of poorly coordinated expansions poo poo than TS3 was by the end is a genuinely impressive feat.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Omnicarus posted:

The Sims 4 ending up as a jankier pièce of poorly coordinated expansions poo poo than TS3 was by the end is a genuinely impressive feat.

The circle of life

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Ruflux posted:

Also apparently the new wants and fears system sometimes causes incest-related wishes.

this one was probably suggested by the wicked whims community tbh

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Omnicarus posted:

So now people are pining for 5 so that they can enjoy playing in an eerily empty and largely unimplemented dull world again?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
At this point I predict that TS5 will make the Sim City reboot look good and the store will only accept prepriatory crypto currency.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

the sims 5 runs on blockchain and it’s aesthetic will be creepily hyper realistic

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Fuschia tude posted:

So now people are pining for 5 so that they can enjoy playing in an eerily empty and largely unimplemented dull world again?

The correct answer is pining for Paralives instead. If that game delivers even half of what it promises, I can't see myself ever caring about The Sims again.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Lemony posted:

The correct answer is pining for Paralives instead. If that game delivers even half of what it promises, I can't see myself ever caring about The Sims again.

IMO Paralives is lucrative vaporware, it's been in development since 2019, collecting 40k a month in Patreon fees, and showing no progress since their initial building demo and character creation demo. They haven't even released a new in-game screenshot since over year ago, and there still isn't a single clip of a character interacting with the environment in live action. They lock any thread asking about release dates or any discussion about what the state of the game or why the Patreon updates are always things like "Updated character eyewear textures. Brainstorming different gameplay options." and keep saying it will be years until they even get to an alpha state.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Omnicarus posted:

IMO Paralives is lucrative vaporware, it's been in development since 2019, collecting 40k a month in Patreon fees, and showing no progress since their initial building demo and character creation demo. They haven't even released a new in-game screenshot since over year ago, and there still isn't a single clip of a character interacting with the environment in live action. They lock any thread asking about release dates or any discussion about what the state of the game or why the Patreon updates are always things like "Updated character eyewear textures. Brainstorming different gameplay options." and keep saying it will be years until they even get to an alpha state.

They've got a few orders of magnitude to before they can give Star Citizen a run for its money.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Omnicarus posted:

Idk I tried loading 3 up awhile ago with only 4 packs going and it still took forever.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
3 is kinda fundamentally busted. This is mostly some bugs that will be fixed soon.

Curved walls will always be jank, however.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Idk I tried loading 3 up awhile ago with only 4 packs going and it still took forever.

If you're on a solid state drive loading should not be an issue. You should to be able to eke out 2 generations of Sims 3 before the jank starts piling up.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

3 is kinda fundamentally busted. This is mostly some bugs that will be fixed soon.

Curved walls will always be jank, however.

The curved walls are hilariously wonky, that Youtuber chap James Turner was playing about with them. He was all hopeful at first, and just got more and more disillusioned with every attempt at making a wavy wall (nope) or attaching straight walls to the curve (nope), or trying to make a room with a curved wall register in-game as a single room (nope).

And then he put the lights into his build and...oh boy...the lighting and shadow effects through the windows and from indoor lights are *hosed* on the curve, especially on the ceiling sections. (And lighting effects have always generally been a strong point in Sims 4, so that one really hurt, I think)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

oh jay posted:

If you're on a solid state drive loading should not be an issue. You should to be able to eke out 2 generations of Sims 3 before the jank starts piling up.

Last time I played I had an invisible street performer right outside my house after the first week.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Omnicarus posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I don't back the patreon and I'm definitely not holding my breath waiting for it to release. I sincerely hope it actually comes out and is good though.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I still hold hope in my heart for the untitled life sim game Rod Humble (Executive Producer during The Sims 2 and 3 times) is supposedly still working on at Paradox Studios.

As for the bugs in the Sims 4 right now, I know the smart thing to do would be to wait for the bugs to be fixed, and the pack to be on sale for $20.
I will not be doing the smart thing; I'm making a backup of my current save of a family with parents and their 13 children (6 being teenagers and 7 being adults), and reveling in the chaos until the bugs are fixed and I can play for real.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I remember a LOT of bunkass patches in the TS1 and TS2 days. I assume TS3 also because that game is just a technical disaster on all fronts but, yeah nothing new really.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Irisi posted:

The curved walls are hilariously wonky, that Youtuber chap James Turner was playing about with them. He was all hopeful at first, and just got more and more disillusioned with every attempt at making a wavy wall (nope) or attaching straight walls to the curve (nope), or trying to make a room with a curved wall register in-game as a single room (nope).

And then he put the lights into his build and...oh boy...the lighting and shadow effects through the windows and from indoor lights are *hosed* on the curve, especially on the ceiling sections. (And lighting effects have always generally been a strong point in Sims 4, so that one really hurt, I think)

Is the lighting a strong point? From what I remember I always had to add always-on lights to rooms because windows didn’t let in enough light during the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Irisi posted:

Honestly I wouldn't even say that. The lighting looks okay under some conditions but the time cycle really reveals how rough it actually is. There's a cutoff point just like in 3 (and 2 in a way) where outdoor lighting suddenly switches to "night" and outside light sources actually produce light on the environment. TVs, computer screens, etc. don't act as light sources for some incredibly dumb reason. Windows are literally just lights that sometimes project a faked texture of their frame on the indoor environment while bleeding light in strange ways. Lot lighting only sometimes affects world lighting or vice versa or interacts in weird ways creating noticeable "seams" where the two meet. I could go on. It was fine for 2014 but in 2022 it's hopelessly rough, similar to the texture and mesh quality.

Badger of Basra posted:

Is the lighting a strong point? From what I remember I always had to add always-on lights to rooms because windows didn’t let in enough light during the day

And oh yeah, this too. Lighting indoors is pretty bad. It's very blue and ugly at night and during daytime you basically have to keep the lights on in all but the smallest rooms because windows are point light sources with the intensity tuned way too low. But then in some other cases having just a few lamps makes the whole loving room look like somebody turned on overbright and sims literally glow from overexposure. You kind of can't win without manually fine-tuning every lamp to be your desired hue and intensity and sometimes those settings get overridden anyway.