Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

hes the avatar of the authoritarian current in labour which has been very bad for the UK and leaves us in a much worse position every time the tories take back power

Yeah it's worse than starting from scratch. Sisyphean voting.

237 will be the remaining number of humans on the planet when we go through our next "population bottleneck".

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Your vote doesn't make a difference, just do what makes you happy. Personally the way I will follow that through is by at least not debasing myself by voting for Keith, but you do you. Just don't go around telling people they have some sort of moral obligation to do the same or they are culpable for what the Tories do if they don't do the same, that's asinine.

Unkempt posted:

Hi, I live in America, and I'm pretty loving delighted that Trump lost thank you very much, and if you'd prefer that Trump had won I would invite you to go gently caress yourself because you're a fascist oval office.

I'm sure the people still being held in the border concentration camps are equally loving delighted.

Ouroboros fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 28, 2022

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

We joke about the "culture war" as though it's something only Daily Mail readers are susceptible to, but you can see the "left" wing version of it around if you look carefully. As long as it's not someone "offensive" in charge, policies can take a backseat.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 28, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What does Starmer think is the point of a Labour party that snubs labour? (Apart from keeping Starmer close to power, I mean.) There must be some sort of intellectual justification.

e: Folks, the UK and US have been trading off for years in the "Watch me do something evil!" "Hold my beer!" "Hold my Vodka Red Bull!" competition. Both our governments sucks, both of our opposition parties suck. No worst, there is none.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What does Starmer think is the point of a Labour party that snubs labour? (Apart from keeping Starmer close to power, I mean.) There must be some sort of intellectual justification.

I don't think he believes in anything other than cops or jail, but if I was forced to come up with something maybe he thinks trickle-down economics are real?

It's all "make the pie bigger" stuff that he's selling

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On an off-topic note, I'd like to point out that it's nice having a line manager who's basically fine with me requesting and approving my own Annual Leave as long as I don't take the piss about it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the melts use the justification that this is "electable" behaviour, a religious tenet for them that by engaging in "electable" behaviour that's righteous in the eyes of the tabloids and with enough repetitions of the sacred chant "we can get the tories out GTTO if you don't vote labour you vote tory" the whut uhhgghhh can get into power and then once he's there he will suddenly do all the stuff he said he would do but then gave up on without even trying, honest this time, or he will be "held to account" somehow

cargo cult politic for the dying age

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DesperateDan posted:

the melts use the justification that this is "electable" behaviour, a religious tenet for them that by engaging in "electable" behaviour that's righteous in the eyes of the tabloids and with enough repetitions of the sacred chant "we can get the tories out GTTO if you don't vote labour you vote tory" the whut uhhgghhh can get into power and then once he's there he will suddenly do all the stuff he said he would do but then gave up on without even trying, honest this time, or he will be "held to account" somehow

cargo cult politic for the dying age

It really is religious at this point isn't it. There's the blue religion and the red religion. How could we not possibly understand that red is an inherently better colour for our rulers to be wearing on their rosette. How dare we.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Didn't see this posted in here yet:

https://twitter.com/guessweredone/status/1552382350507532293?s=20&t=u-txRwMP6k1Oy33sDHPIDw

A five-figure salary, you say? Like, £10k a year? I earn more than that as a full-time bartender on a zero-hour contract.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Liz Truss is going to steal vote blue no matter who for the next election.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Drinkslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/guessweredone/status/1552382350507532293?s=20&t=u-txRwMP6k1Oy33sDHPIDw

A five-figure salary, you say? Like, £10k a year? I earn more than that as a full-time bartender on a zero-hour contract.

Yeah lol it's the dumbest possible attack line to anyone with a basic understand of mathemati-- ohhhhhh never mind.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Liz Truss is going to steal vote blue no matter who for the next election.

Chaos Keith outflanks her by changing the Labour logo to the star of David.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Drinkslinger posted:

Somewhere between abject poverty and middling income you say? How dare he.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yes, we don't in any meaningful sense have free or fair elections, but a Republican controlled Supreme court is a few months away from publishing a decision that reads "States don't even have to pretend they're not rigging it, lol and furthermore lmao"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dabir posted:

Yes, we don't in any meaningful sense have free or fair elections, but a Republican controlled Supreme court is a few months away from publishing a decision that reads "States don't even have to pretend they're not rigging it, lol and furthermore lmao"

When Republicans are in danger of taking power, it is presented as a catastrophic event, almost like the Final Vote, it needs EVERYONE to come out and fight against it because it is the most important election in history. Everyone who doesn't take part is now responsible for what the Republicans do.

But if Democrats have power, power is actually completely useless, and they can't pack the court, or kill the fillibuster, or do anything at all, you just need to vote harder next time.

This is our future in the UK. Our politicians are looking at that template and salivating, because it works.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

jiggerypokery posted:

Somewhere between abject poverty and middling income you say? How dare he.

Literally illegal to pay a full time adult employee less than 5 figures

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

When Republicans are in danger of taking power, it is presented as a catastrophic event, almost like the Final Vote, it needs EVERYONE to come out and fight against it because it is the most important election in history. Everyone who doesn't take part is now responsible for what the Republicans do.

But if Democrats have power, power is actually completely useless, and they can't pack the court, or kill the fillibuster, or do anything at all, you just need to vote harder next time.

This is our future in the UK. Our politicians are looking at that template and salivating, because it works.

The UK is nothing like the states because they have another level of distortion above FPTP. It's far more two party and far less of a representative democracy than we have, and ours is awful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Drinkslinger posted:

I don't care if someone with a six or even seven figure salary wants to live in a council house provided that there's some kind of mechanism for transferring a bunch of that wealth into creating new social housing.

These are the same people who portray council estates as 'sinkholes' with 'poverty of aspiration' and act like they're entirely full of hoodie knife crimers and benefit mums with 20 kids, while at the same time saying only people who are in abject poverty should get to live in one.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Assuming a 40 hour week (lol), 4.80 per hour is the minimum amount necessary to stay below the 5 figure per year threshold.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

The UK is nothing like the states because they have another level of distortion above FPTP. It's far more two party and far less of a representative democracy than we have, and ours is awful.

Yeah I guess it is exactly like our system but slightly different. I agree with you on that.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

jiggerypokery posted:

Yeah, while we can see high level commonalities like the ratchet effect, the actual mechanisms by which the republicans will perhaps achieve permanent rule are very different.

The combination of powerful state-level governments, elected judiciary, and a legislative branch that's incredibly easy to deadlock were the main tools, by my understanding, and those don't apply here.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ouuhhh

https://twitter.com/JoannaPartridge/status/1552680639018803201

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Drinkslinger posted:

They literally had a bunch of articles written up complaining about him being on 6 figures, then when told it was 5 figures they did a find/replace and posted the articles anyway.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

jiggerypokery posted:

Who could imagine the UK having layers of undemocratic politics that exist above our FPTP system?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

they should at least steal the yospos joke and call it a decent five and a half figures

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What is the salary?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Communist Thoughts posted:

What is the salary?

I think it was £78k or £73k. Plus various pension etc made it 'package worth' something like £85k.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Lynch (and I suppose Dempsey) seem very charismatic and able to handle hostile questioning while remaining calm. Have they had any media training or are they just naturally good at this?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
mps only earn a standard 5 figure salary and most of them get a whole second house paid for by us

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

Lynch (and I suppose Dempsey) seem very charismatic and able to handle hostile questioning while remaining calm. Have they had any media training or are they just naturally good at this?
Think it might be the latter because I haven't heard either one of them use the phrase "let me be clear" ten times in every interview.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah media training is what politicians have, so if they've had it they certainly aren't following it verbatim.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

Think it might be the latter because I haven't heard either one of them use the phrase "let me be clear" ten times in every interview.

They also don't appear to automatically adopt the "power stance" which looks like you're aching for a kick in the bollocks

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

They also don't appear to automatically adopt the "power stance" which looks like you're aching for a kick in the bollocks

Hey check out what happened to the lady who invented that, she had tenure at Harvard!

Wikipedia posted:

There was intense controversy around these issues and Cuddy reported experiencing harassment, including death threats, after the findings were not replicated.[46] In the spring of 2017, Cuddy left Harvard but continues to promote power posing as life-improvement technique.[1][10]

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gambrinus posted:

The attack lines are as old as unions themselves, so it's fairly easy to have answers ready for a lot of the stuff that gets asked if you take time to prepare. They do both have an instinct that feels like it would be harder to teach, where they go for the throat over small lies and then use that to reassert control of the conversation. They probably get that from being involved in a lot of hostile negotiations with sociopaths

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It probably does improve your life if you need to poo poo standing up and want to ensure maximum clearance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It probably does improve your life if you need to poo poo standing up and want to ensure maximum clearance.

Nah, the power pose would squash your cheeks together, you'd be a sloppy mess shiteing like that

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah I have Crohns disease so I'm somewhat of an expert on pooing. You want to do a power squat, not a power stand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Power posing works when you have a bunch of comrades and an actual philosophy of power.

Surprisingly it doesn't translate to Harvard business weirdos even if they think they invented it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheDuchessBoom/status/1552675131851431937