Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Time_pants posted:

Oh my God.

This would work. This would actually work.

Somebody needs to do this. Holy poo poo.

The lawyer who won that huge case against Chevron in Ecuador, Steven Donzinger, did something similar. He sold shares of the payment Chevron was supposed to make so the indigenous plaintiffs could get paid sooner. Problem was that he was specifically barred from doing that as he had multiple judgements against him in the US over his conduct during the Ecuador suit that included halting that payout entirely. He's...not a good model for this type of plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

PhazonLink posted:

never mind bitrot and bit decay of drives in ac buildings, but wouldnt a drive in a lireraly tonnage pile with decaying wet biomatter ruin it by now?

And just sitting in a desk for years before the mechanical action of being thrown into a pile of refuse and probably shoveled, bulldozed and plowed. The data recovery firm might be positive but then, they wouldn't be in business if they weren't. All of those companies cite "99% rate of recovery!" but in practice there's a lot of caveats and fudging to get to that: we recovered some random pieces of some of your data so that counts as a success.

I started out the story sympathetic - he'd mined at the best possible moment and moved on, losing a random windfall like that must be gutting - but he becomes such a total crypto bro by the end of the story, right down to handwaving technology (AI recognition of the drive) and alleging government conspiracies.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
*gets a pile of paper dust from a CIA safe house that they didnt burn yet*

ah yes, so this paper atom was next to this paper atom. I recovered some sort ordered info. thats 1000$ please.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

never mind bitrot and bit decay of drives in ac buildings, but wouldnt a drive in a lireraly tonnage pile with decaying wet biomatter ruin it by now?

First thing I thought of as well.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Betjeman posted:

Half a billion at peak, that's an article from last year, no idea why it's resurfacing now

Yea, this is where I got confused. Thought it was another idiot wanting to search through garbage.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
If bitcoin can survive a nuclear holocaust it can survive a few years next to some wet wipes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Landfills can get real hot from decomposition as well.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

coolusername posted:

A real crypto influencer would just sell the rights to a portion of the drive once found. Fund the search and get 10x returns when I regain my lost Nigerian Bitcoin fortune!

I'm somewhat surprised he didnt do this.

Start a DAO, raise a bunch of funds promising to, I dunno, just buy the loving landfill. Details aren't important to credulous rubes.

Then, when you have the money, ghost everyone and move to central america or something. No hard drive needed

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I will point out that selling a crypto token that represents shares of the Bitcoin found on the recovered drive would absolutely be considered a security. Not that that's stopped anyone so far, but it is definitely illegal unless it's registered as one.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

hey you know what else is illegal?

https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1552719668355469312

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1552719890997469184

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

Just make an NFT of the harddrive and boom, you have your half a billion dollars.

This a lol

Scam Likely posted:

Is there a better way to HODL than to hide your BTC wallet 20ft under a landfill? I think not.

This is also a lol

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

drk posted:

Start a DAO, raise a bunch of funds promising to, I dunno, just buy the loving landfill. Details aren't important to credulous rubes.

Then, when you have the money, ghost everyone and move to central america or something. No hard drive needed

You’re not thinking far enough. Start the DAO to raise money for buying the landfill, then start selling digging claims on parts of the landfill. There’s probably a third level that I just can't think of right now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

You’re not thinking far enough. Start the DAO to raise money for buying the landfill, then start selling digging claims on parts of the landfill. There’s probably a third level that I just can't think of right now.

Selling NFTs of chunks of the landfill NFTWorld style.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zopotantor posted:

Claim owners must sort and recycle metals to hand over to landfill management for no returned value.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Zopotantor posted:

Form a separate DAO to let people vote on which people get to dig on their claims first, so it's even more decentralized.

Accept bets on which claim has the drive. Include parlays for dates and times.

Livestream the search process and let donors bid on actual garbage as they see it. Mint NFTs of the items that get bought this way.

Garbage all the way down.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Trash mines are the future anyhow, if you think about it. Eventually it will be cheaper to mine trash for resources instead of mining them from ore.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

We'll fly you out and all you have to do is work off your debt to us*.

*(Also, we'll sell you food and water, but that adds to your debt)

(I'm literally just describing indentured servitude.)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

drk posted:

We are all aware this story is like 8 months old right? Did they have DAOs then?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 28, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

I will point out that selling a crypto token that represents shares of the Bitcoin found on the recovered drive would absolutely be considered a security. Not that that's stopped anyone so far, but it is definitely illegal unless it's registered as one.
Not if you put in the EULA that it definitely does not represent a share of any bitcoins and by purchasing DumpCoin you're signing over full legal title of all your funds to DumpCoin guy in exchange for a token that represents the vibes of the DumpCoin project.

You gotta think like a rugpuller

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Was there ever an official explanation for how Bitcoin was supposed to be superior to USD when it's only worth anything because you can trade it for USD?

A big selling point for enthusiasts seems to be the lack of (((centralization)))

init
Jun 20, 2021

nonathlon posted:

The data recovery firm might be positive but then, they wouldn't be in business if they weren't. All of those companies cite "99% rate of recovery!" but in practice there's a lot of caveats and fudging to get to that: we recovered some random pieces of some of your data so that counts as a success.

It would be fun if they found the hard drive, but then a data recovery firm just stole the key while “recovering” the data.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Professor Shark posted:

I agree that this is possibly some sort of weird buttcoin El Dorado

The Hard Drive of El Dorhodl

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why? Is it just cuz it was at 20kish for a while? It's supposed to go down not up.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Waltzing Along posted:

Why? Is it just cuz it was at 20kish for a while? It's supposed to go down not up.

All markets are irrational in the short term, and crypto markets are especially irrational because they're fueled by ignorant, toxic positivity and pure grift.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

The Hard Drive of El Dorhodl

Bitcoin: The Hard Drive of El Dorhodl

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
ET on Atari but it's a hard drive that never existed.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Crypto is backed by grifts, scams, FOMO, and vibes.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Yes, the drive is more than likely completely ruined by now.

But this is a crypto idiot. They know nothing about computers. If he does find the drive, he'll be shocked it even got dirty, let alone ruined by being filled with garbage water for a few years.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
data that valuable you could afford the real high end data recovery services; I imagine the biggest gamble would be that the platter got damaged directly somehow. no recovery method would be too esoteric or expensive.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CoolCab posted:

data that valuable you could afford the real high end data recovery services; I imagine the biggest gamble would be that the platter got damaged directly somehow. no recovery method would be too esoteric or expensive.

Well, maybe not at current market prices...

There also comes a time when the damage is just too extreme. This thing has been submerged in who loving knows what, compacted, bulldozed, exposed to extreme heat (decomposition gets surprisingly hot), left in the elements for years, and who even knows what else. There's a chance data could be recovered, but even then, it would likely be an incomplete recovery.

Edit: and hell, it's possible that it got scavenged at some point between his home and the dump and isn't even there at all.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 29, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Bible posted:

There also comes a time when the damage is just too extreme. This thing has been submerged in who loving knows what, compacted, bulldozed, exposed to extreme heat (decomposition gets surprisingly hot), left in the elements for years, and who even knows what else. There's a chance data could be recovered, but even then, it would likely be an incomplete recovery.

Yeah, ummm....what magic secret sauce do you think paying extra would get you exactly? If there was one they would already upsell you on it if regular data recovery wasn't sufficient. Money isn't a magic spell, there are things it can't fix no matter how much you have.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Once I met a guy who was a professor studying data recovery, he said he could get data off drives that had been set on fire or smashed into multiple pieces. So I reckon there would be a non-zero chance of getting it in this case.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1552855307818352642

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

seems a little late

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sailor Viy posted:

Once I met a guy who was a professor studying data recovery, he said he could get data off drives that had been set on fire or smashed into multiple pieces. So I reckon there would be a non-zero chance of getting it in this case.

I'm sure it's possible to get data off. Sometimes even multiple kilobytes of it!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

Yeah, using an electron microscope, he could recover literal bits of data, maybe even a few sequential bytes if he's super lucky.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Also don't forget that they use huge bulldozer type machines to move and compact the trash, so that hard drive is probably crushed and mangled too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Viscous Soda posted:

Also don't forget that they use huge bulldozer type machines to move and compact the trash, so that hard drive is probably crushed and mangled too.

So you're saying this is ths perfect time to mint an NFT of the hard drive?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure college profs and researchers scamming the DoD/NSA, etc for money for a lab setting result "yeah we technically did it" is a con as old as civilization.

I mean good for them getting the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1552802329870704642