Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

exquisite tea posted:

I think what liberal writers miss in their satirical portrayals of conservatives is a belief that it is at all possible for them to feel shame. Racists and bigots don’t care that Archie Bunker is consistently shown to be a fool and the butt of every joke, they love him because there’s someone on TV who is racist and bigoted like them.

It's an incredibly widespread problem that has been demonstrated thousands of times in this thread alone.
For every one person who gets that your Archie Bunker/Tyler Durden/Rick Sanchez/Dr. House characters are sad and miserable and wrong and are NOT to be emulated or idolized, there are fifteen others going "Ha ha, yeah, this guy is my hero because he says it like it is!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

exquisite tea posted:

even if it did play into the liberal fantasy that conservatives could change if they got owned hard enough.

owning people is praxis though

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

exquisite tea posted:

I’d say that Colbert and All in the Family were generally playing to like-minded liberals, anyway. The satire wasn’t really intended to get conservatives to reconsider their beliefs, even if it did play into the liberal fantasy that conservatives could change if they got owned hard enough.

AITF and many other sitcoms of the early 70s at least had character development (whether realistically or not). Unlike most sitcoms from the 50s and 60s where the characters learned nothing. See Darrin Stephens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ilmucche posted:

owning people is praxis though

drat too bad they figured that out after 1864

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the_steve posted:

It's an incredibly widespread problem that has been demonstrated thousands of times in this thread alone.
For every one person who gets that your Archie Bunker/Tyler Durden/Rick Sanchez/Dr. House characters are sad and miserable and wrong and are NOT to be emulated or idolized, there are fifteen others going "Ha ha, yeah, this guy is my hero because he says it like it is!"

also add Homelander to the list as of recently

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mr Interweb posted:

also add Homelander to the list as of recently

The TVIV thread never fails to deliver.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

the_steve posted:

Same as that Truffaut quote, "There's no such thing as an anti-war film". Any film that portrays war will portrays the spectacle of it, and it's alluring even if the message is against it. Protagonists who are sad and miserable are also living power fantasies - Archie gets to insult Edith with impunity, House gets a stream of both interesting patients and Vicodin because he's so damned smart, Rick literally teleports away from anything resembling consequences. The allure of that lifestyle will blind people to any message against.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Toshimo posted:

The TVIV thread never fails to deliver.

The people being surprised by this were all from reddit

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I Love Loosies posted:

I remember when Boardwalk Empire first aired one of the characters called her lover daddy all the time. TVIV found that really creppy and weird. The show kind of portrayed it that way to.
10 years later it's more less mainstream almost vanilla. Stuff changes fast

TBF that character had a whole traumatic backstory that played into her sexuality in a creepy-on-purpose way

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I Love Loosies posted:

I remember when Boardwalk Empire first aired one of the characters called her lover daddy all the time. TVIV found that really creppy and weird. The show kind of portrayed it that way to.

Better than the character who called her lover "son"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

AITF and many other sitcoms of the early 70s at least had character development (whether realistically or not). Unlike most sitcoms from the 50s and 60s where the characters learned nothing. See Darrin Stephens.

Thinking back on The Andy Griffith Show, there were probably only two characters who really emotionally grew over the course of the show: Opie and Howard. Howard's really the only saving grace of the last few years, evolving from a shut-in mama's boy to living on his own and learning how not to be a weirdo around the opposite sex. Opie's character changed as Ron Howard physically grew.

Everybody else had the same reactions, the same arguments and got into the same messes over the course of the show. Barney slightly changed when Don Knotts moved to special appearances, but Barney still couldn't do much without a heap of help from Andy. The only changes were names of the characters and less humor about alcohol.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The people being surprised by this were all from reddit

What do you mean Stormfront is a nazi?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What do you mean Stormfront is a nazi?

*looks over to Stormfront by Jim Butcher* ... Well, if the shoe fits...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

*looks over to Stormfront by Jim Butcher* ... Well, if the shoe fits...

Jim Butcher's a nazi?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arivia posted:

Jim Butcher's a nazi?

Nah I'm just having fun at his expense. He's a shithead, but not a Nazi as far as I know.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

On “Saved By The Bell” there’s an episode where big TV Star Johnny Dakota shoots an anti drug commercial and becomes friends with the main cast. He throws a party, implied to be rife with drugs and alcohol and probably sexual encounters with the high school students in attendance. And he also makes out with Kelly Kapowski.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Luckily Jessie had already learned about the dangers of drugs from her earlier brush with caffeine pill addiction.

That is kind of weird, because I had always figured they used caffeine pills in that one because of censorship or content issues.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Luckily Jessie had already learned about the dangers of drugs from her earlier brush with caffeine pill addiction.

That is kind of weird, because I had always figured they used caffeine pills in that one because of censorship or content issues.

There's a notable difference between getting a.main cast member addicted to harder drugs and having an outside 1-off villain using them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Toshimo posted:

There's a notable difference between getting a.main cast member addicted to harder drugs and having an outside 1-off villain using them.

There were also probably specifics in what you are or aren't allowed to depict with drugs. As well as the completely plausible thought that standards might have changed between the two episodes.

Or maybe they actually did just want to write a story about Jessie being addicted to caffeine pills. Addiction to over-the-counter medicine is a thing, after all.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cleretic posted:

There were also probably specifics in what you are or aren't allowed to depict with drugs. As well as the completely plausible thought that standards might have changed between the two episodes.

Or maybe they actually did just want to write a story about Jessie being addicted to caffeine pills. Addiction to over-the-counter medicine is a thing, after all.
I dunno, a few years before that they had Michael J. Fox tweaking his rear end off on amphetamines

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The deal with caffeine pills being the problem is that around that time there were a lot of teens thinking "over the counter =perfectly safe!" and being hospitalized or dying from caffeine overdoses. Or ephedrine. And there were "energy products" that had piles of caffeine or ephedrine in them and so the kids using them weren't aware of how much they were getting.

Plus, can't have little Susie Creamcheese do anything harder than that on a kids show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I dunno, a few years before that they had Michael J. Fox tweaking his rear end off on amphetamines

There was also an episode of Fresh Prince where Carlton did the same thing.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I Love Loosies posted:

that wasn't in bed, that was just all the time. kinda different

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

There could be a difference in what a weekday primetime show could do vs. a saturday morning show.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

While the Sandman inevitably soured in parts despite the author's good intentions (Like Wanda), the part I find most laughable is when Morpheus meets Hob again in the 1990's, and he's sporting an atrocious glam-rocker do.

The guy might have domain over people's dreams but he can't dress for poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everyone looking like The Cure is an important part of the comic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inspector Gesicht posted:

While the Sandman inevitably soured in parts despite the author's good intentions (Like Wanda), the part I find most laughable is when Morpheus meets Hob again in the 1990's, and he's sporting an atrocious glam-rocker do.

drat Michael myers stylin

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I Love Loosies posted:

wonder what people's thoughts were if they had never seen Red Hot Riding Hood before then

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

For me it's the one rotating artist who draws everyone with honking Jay Leno chins (who regrettably shows up to do one of the issues with Wanda and gets exceedingly gross with it.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dream doesn't dress at all. He looks as the person looking at him expects him to, and the comic had the conceit that the reader is included in that.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Excuse me that's death-rock hair 🦇

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

oh thanks for the new avatar, GUYS :argh:

Mr Interweb has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Jul 28, 2022

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Mr Interweb posted:

lmao, that's funny as hell. Wear your red text with pride

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Interweb posted:

oh thanks for the new avatar, DADDIES :argh:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mr Interweb posted:

It was probably just one guy.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

Look on the bright side

The most mockable thing that someone could redtext you for is being the rare confirmed sex-haver SA member

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not to counter all the good points made about it and it's progressiveness or lack thereof for the time etc.

But as a pedantic arsehole, I would just like to mention that "All in the Family" is just an American remake of "Till Death do us Part". With Archie Bunker being the Alf Garnet stand in.

Warren Mitchell, (the actor who played Alf), was personally pretty left wing leaning, and would get pissed off at people who would come up to him in the street thinking he was just like his curmudgeonly conservative character.

They also did an Australian version called Kingswood Country. Which lacked the heart of either AitF or TDduP, and was actually as conservative/right wing as the main character. In fact they brought it back in the 90s as Bullpitt, and it was even worse. The entire premise of the show, and every single joke was an old suburban white man yelling at the modern world and young people and political correctness for being awful. And that it was better in the good old days when you could have a concrete aborigine on your front lawn and call your son in law a wog without being called racist.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Not to counter all the good points made about it and it's progressiveness or lack thereof for the time etc.

But as a pedantic arsehole, I would just like to mention that "All in the Family" is just an American remake of "Till Death do us Part". With Archie Bunker being the Alf Garnet stand in.

Warren Mitchell, (the actor who played Alf), was personally pretty left wing leaning, and would get pissed off at people who would come up to him in the street thinking he was just like his curmudgeonly conservative character.

They also did an Australian version called Kingswood Country. Which lacked the heart of either AitF or TDduP, and was actually as conservative/right wing as the main character. In fact they brought it back in the 90s as Bullpitt, and it was even worse. The entire premise of the show, and every single joke was an old suburban white man yelling at the modern world and young people and political correctness for being awful. And that it was better in the good old days when you could have a concrete aborigine on your front lawn and call your son in law a wog without being called racist.

I always felt bad for Warren Mitchell. He was such a sweet-seeming man, always so gentle and softly spoken in interviews, and there are all these proto-Nazi dipshits thinking he's Alf Garnett and speaks the truth.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
We all know American racism but I think Canadian and Australian racism is some times worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Imagine if America was still genuinely furious at the existence of Native Americans.