Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah that did it (though I'm on PS4 so I had to just give approximates.)

FYI if you press L1+R1 with the map open, it puts a flag at the cursor position. You can then use <flag> in chat to put those exact coords in; I forget if the option to put that in the chatbox automatically when you mark a spot is enabled by default, but if it is you don't even need to type <flag> as it'll be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I did CT before it was required and hit ShB long enough after that (I think just literally one or two patches before it became mandatory) that I completely forgot 99% of the CT plot and so at the time could not name or recognize anyone involved to save my life

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah that did it (though I'm on PS4 so I had to just give approximates.)

parasyte posted:

FYI if you press L1+R1 with the map open, it puts a flag at the cursor position. You can then use <flag> in chat to put those exact coords in; I forget if the option to put that in the chatbox automatically when you mark a spot is enabled by default, but if it is you don't even need to type <flag> as it'll be there.
There's also <pos> for putting your current location into chat.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

hexwren posted:

I did CT before it was required and hit ShB long enough after that (I think just literally one or two patches before it became mandatory) that I completely forgot 99% of the CT plot and so at the time could not name or recognize anyone involved to save my life

Yeah I kinda rushed CT because it was required and didn't catch some of the details at the time. Took me a little while to piece together "Oh, right, the cat guy, you stayed in the tower or something!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I knew who he was right away (since the pool wasn’t exactly deep), but… I couldn’t remember his name. :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shameful. A real WoL remembers everyone’s names.

From A’aba to Zenos.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Shameful. A real WoL remembers everyone’s names.

From A’aba to Zenos.

:(

You just reminded me of every npc that asked me "Hey, do you remember me!?"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hexwren posted:

Forgetting it works in its favour because it's a bad story. Crazy that they brought it back so long afterwards for the best expansion. Someone really loved their lame catboy OC.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

sassassin posted:

Forgetting it works in its favour because it's a bad story. Crazy that they brought it back so long afterwards for the best expansion. Someone really loved their lame catboy OC.

That person is Ishikawa.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheWorldsaStage posted:

:(

You just reminded me of every npc that asked me "Hey, do you remember me!?"

in my headcanon any time my wol is asked that they just go "heeeeey.... you."

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Robo Reagan posted:

in my headcanon any time my wol is asked that they just go "heeeeey.... you."

You can always say that, it's never not true

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm on the ARR MSQ post-ultima weapon, trying to get to the first bit expansion.

Just.....teleporting a lot

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

P3S trip report: one tank was out this week so we got a replacement from a guildy's actually skilled progging group (I mentioned before we're a bunch of now middle-aged friends who can pull about 90mins a week, a couple of folks have more time in proper groups so have connections). Made it to Firestorms of Asphodelos, figured out what we're doing for Elmo (...I hate Elmo but at least only three people need to pay attention and everyone else just stands at C), but never got through that cleanly enough to do a proper attempt at the dark tornado part. We know the theory at least.

And since the tank who was out this week is the "life is so compartmentalized he never puts any effort into learning stuff before he shows up Thursday evening" guy, we'll get to relearn that all over again next week. I love the guy, and he compartmentalizes like that so he can give attention to much more important things like family, but I can't say it's not annoying.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

I'm on the ARR MSQ post-ultima weapon, trying to get to the first bit expansion.

Just.....teleporting a lot

Yeah the between-expansions content involves a lot of jumping around, and the pacing has always been kinda weird.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

P3S trip report: one tank was out this week so we got a replacement from a guildy's actually skilled progging group (I mentioned before we're a bunch of now middle-aged friends who can pull about 90mins a week, a couple of folks have more time in proper groups so have connections). Made it to Firestorms of Asphodelos, figured out what we're doing for Elmo (...I hate Elmo but at least only three people need to pay attention and everyone else just stands at C), but never got through that cleanly enough to do a proper attempt at the dark tornado part. We know the theory at least.

And since the tank who was out this week is the "life is so compartmentalized he never puts any effort into learning stuff before he shows up Thursday evening" guy, we'll get to relearn that all over again next week. I love the guy, and he compartmentalizes like that so he can give attention to much more important things like family, but I can't say it's not annoying.

I generally prefer the local JP English speaking community's Tuufless strat to Elmo.

Less pressure on one tank having the perfect positioning.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Ibblebibble posted:

I generally prefer the local JP English speaking community's Tuufless strat to Elmo.

MYTA > Elmo.

I consider Elmo a meme strat.

Also I couldn't find a group for eyes prog (Or an eye prog that wasn't actually Wyrmhole) so I joined a Wrath prog and finally made some prog. Didn't see P5 but now I know what the hell I'm doing all through eyes.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
what's the best pvp job for people who are bad at ffxiv and pvp

asking for a friend

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tank, if just so you die less

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fiye posted:

MYTA > Elmo.

I consider Elmo a meme strat.

Also I couldn't find a group for eyes prog (Or an eye prog that wasn't actually Wyrmhole) so I joined a Wrath prog and finally made some prog. Didn't see P5 but now I know what the hell I'm doing all through eyes.

Looking at the options I like Myta as well, but I like not bogging down our limited time by arguing about it more. It's got clear places for folks to be with allowance for sloppiness.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know the p3 strat names, so I just looked it up, and elmo looks loving terrible.

We have healers bait the E/W towers, one ranged baits the N, the rest of the dps takes one shot to the NW, and the tanks eat their poo poo in the S.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 29, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Leraika posted:

asking for a friend

Summoner. Just drop bahamuts on people.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the purpose of elmo is to minimize the number of times people go "wait which position am I again?" when they're PFing and constantly switching parties. It's pretty pointless if you're in a static and can have the same position every week, but it does the one thing well

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

cheetah7071 posted:

the purpose of elmo is to minimize the number of times people go "wait which position am I again?" when they're PFing and constantly switching parties. It's pretty pointless if you're in a static and can have the same position every week, but it does the one thing well

I see the theory but I'm guessing in practice the one thing it does well is wipe parties.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i really dont see the problem with elmo. like why is this better?

Ibblebibble posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My static did the strat where you all spread out and don't invuln at all and I think it's a little bit superior if you're in a static and don't have to worry about people forgetting their positions because it allows you to invuln elsewhere

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Awesome! posted:

Maybe I'm just looking at a bad diagram of elmo, but it looks like it's in a lot more danger from slight mispositionings than others.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Awesome! posted:

If a Tank fucks up Elmo it kills 5 people, if someone fucks up that strat it kills 3.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

If a Tank fucks up Elmo it kills 5 people, if someone fucks up that strat it kills 3.

Still gonna be a wipe I think

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I think the problem with Elmo is mostly that if there's a screw-up it's more likely to kill both healers.
My pub clears were with Myta, still could have some issues but it was usually "the DPS died because they weren't in position" that was possibly salvageable if done fast enough.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Leraika posted:

asking for a friend

Depends on if you mean Frontlines or Crystalline Conflict.

Frontlines I'd go for a ranged, either caster or physical. Whichever is the most interesting. Maybe avoid RDM, because they can be a bit complex with their two modes and picking that up plus general PvP mechanics can be a bit much, and DNC, because their AoE and LB are practically melee range and they're squishy. If melee is heavily preferred, going tank would give some survivability but also brings some complication with their heavy utility focus.

For CC I'd personally go with BRD. They're really simple and can still support the team without needing to do significant damage, needing to dive the enemy team or having the heavy enemy focus of a healer.

Onean fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 29, 2022

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

cheetah7071 posted:

Still gonna be a wipe I think

Trust me, Elmo is a wipe, that strat isn't, if it goes wrong (I've cleared multiple P3S with that strat going wrong, I have never cleared with Elmo going wrong).

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Leraika posted:

asking for a friend
Pick some ranged class and stay far away from everyone and press buttons. Summoner is strong as mentioned.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I see the theory but I'm guessing in practice the one thing it does well is wipe parties.
I'm pretty sure I haven't wiped to second tornadoes since February in PF on Primal (Elmo) or Aether (Myta). All the regularly used strats are fine as long as people know what to do; arguing about them seems like a waste of energy to me.

The real problem in P3S is Gloryplume spreads because even with assigned positions, people still panic and went to the wrong places

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real glory plume strat is to just keep trying till you get stack twice in a row

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Leraika posted:

asking for a friend

White mage, summoner, and warrior are all comparatively braindead.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cheetah7071 posted:

The real glory plume strat is to just keep trying till you get stack twice in a row

im almost positive our first clear was the blessed all stack run

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pray for stacks until a couple of people die, then pray for spreads

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Pray for stacks until a couple of people die, then pray for spreads

Don't the spreads hit someone twice when there's a dead person and insts kill them or am I thinking different spreads

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Elmo is whatever, there’s a nice ring on the arena for the party stack and that’s all you really need.
The truth is ever since illya in shiva everyone wants a strat to denounce but honestly nothing has been that atrocious in the last two tiers except forced damage down in p1s

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

solve the problem of pf tanks repeatedly loving up tethers elmo by tanking yourself :eng101:

[slams facefirst into enrage]

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

There's more to P3S than wiping to adds repeatedly???