Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thinking about the four pounds of butter sitting in my freezer thanks to costco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ohtori Akio posted:

thinking about the four pounds of butter sitting in my freezer thanks to costco

salted or unsalted

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Chinatown posted:

salted or unsalted

salted, half organic half grassfed

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
My church has more Christmas stuff out than Halloween stuff. Shameful

Edit: unsalted butter supremacy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

jisforjosh posted:

:hmmyes:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

:wrong:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Unsalted is for baking. Salted is for cooking.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Just add salt to whatever you're cooking, no point in paying extra for salt in your butter.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i buy the salted olive oil to cook with and unsalted for baking

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Chinatown posted:

Unsalted is for everything, especially cooking.Try seasoning your food your own drat self.

Seriously, you should be adding a little salt at each step of your recipe/whatever rather than putting in all your salt at once. Each ingredient being salted on its own builds and develops flavor in the whole dish.

‘Co related: just went last week, taking a friend tomorrow so he can get those sweet savings and I can get that sweet cash back.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Unsalted is for everything, especially cooking.Try seasoning your food your own drat self.

Seriously, you should be adding a little salt at each step of your recipe/whatever rather than putting in all your salt at once. Each ingredient being salted on its own builds and develops flavor in the whole dish.

Truth.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I mix olive oil and butter and fridge it to spread on my toast

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Unsalted butter is so that i can keep it out on the counter so that it spreads on my bread evenly.

Also, I have never done this ever, and don't buy bread.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i want a stardew valley mod where joja is replaced with costco and pierre / lewis are the villains for denying the blessing of costco

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
I was in Costco last week and saw they had deals for gift cards from local restaurants. $100 in value for $80. They had them for a sushi place with two locations in town that we were planning to go to today. The card to take to the register only had one of the addresses on it. I called them and they said they were good at both locations.

Went there for lunch today and was told that the restaurants split back in November and the cards were not valid at the location we were at.

Fortunately because Costco is awesome I was able to return them for a full refund. The lady just had to call the restaurant and verify that they were turned down and unused.

PBUC.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
spread some room temperature salted butter across some bread that was just toasted, hth

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I mix olive oil and butter and fridge it to spread on my toast

I am interested in the proportions you mix them in.
I suppose it renders the butter spreadable even when fridged?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

CaptainCrunch posted:

this is the basic idea behind the spreadable-butter compounds you can buy at many lesser grocery stores. butter plus a more-liquid fat (plus, frequently, a little salt) makes a nice spread straight from the fridge

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Slightly more butter than olive oil for the most part. Easily spreads when used right out of the fridge. I don't add salt just because most bread already has a decent amount of sodium but thats just personal preference

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

They don't put salt in butter to season your food. They put salt in butter to inhibit bacterial growth. If you leave your butter at room temperature, use salted butter, because the preservative effects of salt will keep it from going bad longer.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Chinatown posted:

Why would I want a corporation to decide the amount of salt (and not tell me) when cooking?

That's like using Spiced Rum instead of Gold/Anejo Rum in a cocktail that calls for rum

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Jesus christ. Salted butter is just butter with salt in it. I've seen no mass difference in salt levels in the salted butter I've had. In my entire life. I'm sure it's pretty standard now. Or at least they'll list it.

Adding salted butter to your food? Well, just loving account for that lol. Don't add more salt. Salted butter is absolutely not super salty.

disclaimer: I buy a yogurt blend margarine thing

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the oxidation process is what gets to butter first, and that's unaffected by salt. simply eat the butter quickly enough that no form of spoilage can reach it; I find this very easy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just exporting the yospos salt argument to gbs here are we

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do you guys salt your rice too or?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

PokeJoe posted:

do you guys salt your rice too or?

yes

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
Went to Church yesterday to pick up some things for a seafood boil; Lemons, baby creamer potatoes, garlic, shrimp, snow crab, etc. Went down the sauce/dip refrigerated section and they had garlic toum for $0.97/1.5lbs. I triple checked the price before adding 3 of them to my cart and running to the checkout. The sell by date is pretty close but I can freeze it to stretch it out and at that point I’m practically LOSING money by not buying it. PBUC

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh for gently caress's sake, we should have been like the French and called salted butter 'butter for eating' and unsalted butter 'butter for cooking'. You should always have room temperature butter FOR EATING on your counter, in a butter dish or cute little butter bell (self: butterball).

The canned iced coffee was 15.99/12 pack today, and the aluminum cans were thinner so one broke when I was putting them away. Bad job Costco. The new Goodyear auto wipes went on perfectly though, unlike the last set, so Good Job Costco.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Remulak posted:

You should always have room temperature butter FOR EATING on your counter, in a butter dish or cute little butter bell (self: butterball).

Unless you live in a hellworld climate where "room temperature" is closer to 30°C, in which case you need to store that poo poo in the fridge

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cost-co

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This puzzle inspired me to go get a slice of pep and a slice of cheese. It was blessed.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Ohtori Akio posted:

the oxidation process is what gets to butter first, and that's unaffected by salt. simply eat the butter quickly enough that no form of spoilage can reach it; I find this very easy

for real wtf, you guys need to step you butter game up if it is going bad on you

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Thread mascot.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I found out the other day I can get 7 lbs of pork belly for like $30 at Costco

Idk what I would ever do with 7 pounds but holy poo poo that price is insane

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Filled the fridge with rebate meat. 10/10

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Use a butter dish/butter bell you butter savages

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I use a tub b&b every like 3 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

WescottF1 posted:

I was in Costco last week and saw they had deals for gift cards from local restaurants. $100 in value for $80.

This is my major complaint about my local Costco; they used to have a couple of local restaurants but slowly gave up over covid and now the only restaurant gift cards are for Bad Daddy's Burger Bar and Honeybaked Ham.

The last local place they had cards for was walkable from my house too :qq: