Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

The Z4 manual specifically says not to jump from the battery in the trunk, and use the positive jump terminal/post provided in the engine bay instead

Coward.

Also I'm doing this outside, with the z4 parked in, and the dead car parked behind it that I had to door open foot-push roll forward 10' just to make the jumpers reach. Ain't nobody got time to deal with that in a stacked driveway on a somewhat busy road. I trickle charge it with the hood terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's thankfully been a long time since I've jumped (either direction) a side post battery, but I remember having the best luck with jumper cables that have serrations running up the side of the jaw, and clamping the head of the bolt in the side teeth.

It loving sucks either way and I am very glad GM seems to be finally going away from side terminals.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
FWIW, I don't know how good they are, but adapter terminals exist:

https://www.amazon.ca/Ruilogod-Posi...58773365&sr=8-2

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
gently caress side bolts all my homies hate side bolts

I've always used the kind of jumper leads that have a kind of pointy jaw sticking out past the regular jaws on side post batteries. It's still sketchy but it works. Like these ones: https://www.batterymart.com/p-dek-00182-clamps.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh that's handy, I should get a pair of those to stick in the toolbox.

No, it's basically a flat washer for the cable contact with a... I forget if it's 8mm or 10mm bolt holding the washer on. It's an absolute poo poo design and I hate it.

I was never interested in trucks but it has been nice during tourist season with all the rear end in a top hat city drivers, people are less likely to cut you off when your vehicle is 5000 pounds and is worth less than the paint on their bumper.

If you're committed to being a good Samaritan you can install this:

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Energizer-1-Gauge-30-ft-Jumper-Cables-with-Quick-Connect-ENB130A/304659438

Which I have and it rules. You can always use it the other way if you need a jump. Very safe and quick, and the cables are very good quality, thick and heavy. And long enough that you can be behind or in front of someone and still reach.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's kind of cool but OTOH I hate wiring and half the time I'm jumping myself because I forget that my lights don't turn off automatically or I've gone too long without driving in the winter. There's a reason I only buy deep cycle AGM batteries, the cold up here loving murders batteries. I do enjoy it whenever I can help someone, though, it's not why I keep a jack and stands and an impact in my car (it's because I don't have a garage) but being able to help someone change their tire without relying on a scissor jack is nice.

E: I guess it does let me jump my own car, it's mainly the wiring that I dread.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

So my truck (2014 F-150 Fby4) started making this noise last night...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIohQ01Eu4

Pulled the RF wheel bearing and it doesn't feel gritty and isn't making noise? No visible damage, either. It does seem to have a lot of drag in the bearing, does anybody know if this is normal for this type of sealed bearing? There's also a good bit of slack in between turning the hub and the axle moving. I've heard that these can have hub actuator problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4VH9H6f6bU

The little 13mm axle retaining bolt was absolutely precious, let me tell you. I was used to fuckoff huge axle nuts on FWD cars...this thing is silly looking.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's kind of cool but OTOH I hate wiring and half the time I'm jumping myself because I forget that my lights don't turn off automatically or I've gone too long without driving in the winter. There's a reason I only buy deep cycle AGM batteries, the cold up here loving murders batteries. I do enjoy it whenever I can help someone, though, it's not why I keep a jack and stands and an impact in my car (it's because I don't have a garage) but being able to help someone change their tire without relying on a scissor jack is nice.

E: I guess it does let me jump my own car, it's mainly the wiring that I dread.

At least in my Sierra it was super easy because GMC has a nice terminal block attached to the positive post. It's also the reason jumping from my truck was a pain in the rear end, there was extra poo poo in the way.

I used it to jump my International once or twice and then had to return the favor when the Sierras battery died. It also gives me a convenient place to clip my portable tire pump.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

2018 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion.

While driving, sometimes the external temperature suddenly plunges to way below any plausible temp. On Friday I was driving from Tracy through Livermore to Concord and the outside temp went from mid-80s down to 37 F and then gradually back up to the 50s. When we got home, it was still easily 70 out. Then on sunday, driving across the San Mateo bridge, the temp dropped from low 80s to 28F, before gradually coming up. This is annoying because it affects the operation of the cabin A/C - it actually tries to switch to warm mode/shuts off the A/C because it thinks it's gonna be sucking in freezing air.

The actual ambient air sensor is like $12 for aftermarket or $34 for OEM. Should I just immediately replace it, or is this worth taking to the dealer? It's still under warranty, but waiting for an appointment and spending time going and coming is actually more annoying than just swapping the part. I also can't seem to find a free copy of the full service manual so I know it's in or behind the front bumper but haven't definitely located it yet, it's gotta have a line of sight to the road surface though I think so it shouldn't be too hard to get to:

#18 in this pic

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Have you considered it might be ghosts?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d let the dealer sort it out personally. It can be an annoying process yes, but it seems silly not to make use of the warranty. If you insist though, you can find repair information at: https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am trying to help my dad with his car via email.

Do you guys know what the silver rail/bar between the two wheels is called in this photo?

This isn't the actual car I just did an image search for "honda crv 2004 low rail". He is trying to change a flat but he says the bar/rail is in the way of the jack. I'm trying to get my terminology right so I can try and search youtube.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Jippa posted:

I am trying to help my dad with his car via email.

Do you guys know what the silver rail/bar between the two wheels is called in this photo?

This isn't the actual car I just did an image search for "honda crv 2004 low rail". He is trying to change a flat but he says the bar/rail is in the way of the jack. I'm trying to get my terminology right so I can try and search youtube.

Probably running boards, possibly but less likely rock sliders.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nitsuga posted:

I’d let the dealer sort it out personally. It can be an annoying process yes, but it seems silly not to make use of the warranty. If you insist though, you can find repair information at: https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do

OK fair point.
How do I actually download a manual from that site? Do I need a login? I navigated to a PDF for the ac system and all I get is this:

e. Oh they want me to buy a subscription lol

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
2015 Ford Fiesta 70k miles, manual transmission

Today I had a mildly scary moment where my manual transmission wouldn't drop into gear. Coming from disengaged in idle at a stoplight, the clutch pedal went down fine, but when I went to shift gears the handle would not go forward (or backward) enough to drop into gear. Issue lasted about 30 seconds and then the clutch engaged fine and the issue did not repeat in the roughly 10 minute drive it took me to get home. Car was maybe one minute from a cold start in very hot weather. I don't have any warnings or indications of a problem displaying themselves.

What is going on?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Today I had a mildly scary moment where my manual transmission wouldn't drop into gear. Coming from disengaged in idle at a stoplight, the clutch pedal went down fine, but when I went to shift gears the handle would not go forward (or backward) enough to drop into gear. Issue lasted about 30 seconds and then the clutch engaged fine and the issue did not repeat in the roughly 10 minute drive it took me to get home. Car was maybe one minute from a cold start in very hot weather. I don't have any warnings or indications of a problem displaying themselves.

What is going on?

Fiesta ST?

I have a 2015 ST, 97k miles, and sometimes my shifter seems to get a bit “stuck” shifting into first or second. I assume it needs lubrication at various cable linkage points, in the transmission/etc

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What is going on?

Do these cars have a slave cylinder? Sounds like a master or slave cylinder is going bad. If it happens again just double clutch like you should instead of granny shifting.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

What is going on?

This happens occasionally. Letting out the clutch a tiny bit to get the transmission to move a little and let the syncros line up will usually take care of it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Just the S.

That's cool that it's not an immediate red flag but it was so unnerving to just *not* have it drop into gear. I've driven manuals for decades and that's never happened before. Thankfully it happened where I could pull off but the thought of it repeating while I'm at a light is terrifying.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

OK fair point.
How do I actually download a manual from that site? Do I need a login? I navigated to a PDF for the ac system and all I get is this:

e. Oh they want me to buy a subscription lol

Yep, got to pay. $30 dollars for a day of access, and you can download the manuals for later access. Not the worst deal out there. I’d highly recommend them if you do plan on repairing things yourself.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just the S.

That's cool that it's not an immediate red flag but it was so unnerving to just *not* have it drop into gear. I've driven manuals for decades and that's never happened before. Thankfully it happened where I could pull off but the thought of it repeating while I'm at a light is terrifying.

For what it's worth my 57-YO Ford Econoline three-speed does this occasionally. After a while, it just becomes ingrained habit to let off the clutch a little to clear the mesh. It doesn't happen on all manuals; it seldom happens at all, but that little move will work into your repertoire.

If I try to force the shift, the linkage (a pair of 3' long steel rods connected to the column shifter with bell cranks down at the steering box) goes all fucky & I'm stuck in second gear until I can crawl underneath & realign the two actuators back into neutral

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Edit ^Thanks^

nitsuga posted:

Yep, got to pay. $30 dollars for a day of access, and you can download the manuals for later access. Not the worst deal out there. I’d highly recommend them if you do plan on repairing things yourself.

You might check with your local library. Mine has subscriptions to Chilton's and a few other car maintenance sites and it's FREE!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Chilton access via your local library is always a good reminder for folks.

I actually checked the library's online Chiltons manuals for that particular year/model of VW. All it had was wiring diagrams.

Now if you have a Ford, it is basically the FSM which is great.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

What was the goon-endorsed box/dongle to make it so Android Auto functionality can go over bluetooth? I think it was something on a gofundme.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just the S.

Did you release the clutch and pump it again? Sometimes my manuals do that but just releasing the clutch and trying again fixes it. I don't know enough about transmissions to say why.

Is there a practical way to mount a traditional truck toolbox on the side of the bed? I'd like to get all 8 feet of my truck bed back but having a toolbox is super handy for stuff like jumper cables, coolant, wrenches, a jack, etc. Right now I can slip 2x4s and such under the toolbox so I can still close the tailgate but it would be nice to be able to get taller stuff in.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Blowjob Overtime posted:

What was the goon-endorsed box/dongle to make it so Android Auto functionality can go over bluetooth? I think it was something on a gofundme.

I bought a Motorola MA1 for my wife's car, it works great. It switches over pretty quickly when you start the car and it turns on.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico
I'm taking my car into the local shop in a bit, and checking brakes is on the list.

This got me to wondering - I've noticed that where the caliper is on the rotor is different from car to car and axle to axle. Some are at 9 o'clock, some at 3, some at more of an angle.

Does this influence the clamping force? Is it a weight distribution thing? Why do different makes pick different positions?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

norton I posted:

I'm taking my car into the local shop in a bit, and checking brakes is on the list.

This got me to wondering - I've noticed that where the caliper is on the rotor is different from car to car and axle to axle. Some are at 9 o'clock, some at 3, some at more of an angle.

Does this influence the clamping force? Is it a weight distribution thing? Why do different makes pick different positions?

Its mostly just a packaging thing and is dependant on steering/suspension geometry and getting it all to fit nicely.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

https://www.aawireless.io/

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have a 2004 Honda CR-V EX AWD. I am thinking about putting on a set of wheels from another car on it. The bolt pattern is the same. The center bore on the "new" wheels is bigger, but I can get hub center rings to make up the difference. The issue is this: the "new" wheels are a staggered fitment where two wheels are half an inch wider than the other two. The tires are all the same size ("square").

Here is some info (to be taken with a grain of salt) about the dual-pump AWD system in my CR-V. If I am reading this right, the rear diff only wakes up when the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear wheels.

* If the tires in the front have a slightly higher outside diameter, they should generally spin a little slower than the rear wheels.
* If tires of the same size are mounted on wheels of slightly different widths, the tires on the wider wheels would have a very slightly (EDIT) smaller outside diameter (wider wheel means the sidewalls have to "stretch" laterally a little, reducing their height).

If these assumptions are true, a staggered set of wheels with "square" tires should be fine?

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 28, 2022

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

:tipshat:

Ordered

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

* If tires of the same size are mounted on wheels of slightly different widths, the tires on the wider wheels would have a very slightly larger outside diameter (wider wheel means the sidewalls have to "stretch" a little).

It should be the other way around, the stretch will pull the OD of the tire down slightly.

Personally I wouldn't gently caress with it, I'd get a proper set of four matching wheels/tires.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO don't gently caress with important safety networks like how your car's computer detects and handles the state of each tire. AWD is for more than just getting going on snow, it's part of the traction control system in an emergency braking/maneuvering scenario. You don't want to do anything that could "trick" the computer into failing to activate AWD in an edge case that'd keep you from losing control of the vehicle.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just ordered one too, hopefully it actually works!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

IOwnCalculus posted:

It should be the other way around, the stretch will pull the OD of the tire down slightly.

Personally I wouldn't gently caress with it, I'd get a proper set of four matching wheels/tires.

Yeah that was what I meant to say. Edited above.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My partner drives a 2009 nissan versa and it's been acting up in regards to starting. On saturday we took it to the store, when we went back out to the car it wouldn't start. Put the key in, everything lit up, but turning it did nothing. She called roadside assistance to get it towed, i had a buddy take me home to get my car and i took her and our groceries home then went back to wait for the tow truck. Getting back it started no problem

Yesterday same thing, she went to leave work and the car wouldn't start. This afternoon it started right up

Google says it could be the key, a coworker says the starter, and another says alternator.

I don't know dick about cars so I figured asking here would be a good idea

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
“lemme tell you the story about the goon that rolled his CR-V after putting staggered wheels on it” would be a hell of a thread

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Len posted:

My partner drives a 2009 nissan versa and it's been acting up in regards to starting. On saturday we took it to the store, when we went back out to the car it wouldn't start. Put the key in, everything lit up, but turning it did nothing. She called roadside assistance to get it towed, i had a buddy take me home to get my car and i took her and our groceries home then went back to wait for the tow truck. Getting back it started no problem

Yesterday same thing, she went to leave work and the car wouldn't start. This afternoon it started right up

Google says it could be the key, a coworker says the starter, and another says alternator.

I don't know dick about cars so I figured asking here would be a good idea

That's a classic symptom of a bad starter - if it stops with a dead spot on the brushes, it won't start. If it moves just a mm, it starts right up - sometimes just jostling the car will fix it. When it dies, you could try tapping on the starter with a hammer and see if it starts. If so, replace the starter.

Not that I can diagnose your car over the internet, though. It could be a number of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only one of those things it probably isn't is the alternator. If the battery isn't being charged enough to let the vehicle start, no amount of sitting around without a charger connected will change that.