Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Complications posted:

There's a mod on the Nexus that makes all encountered freighters S-class. It also changes their cargo amounts, but a bit of jiggering can probably fix that. It'll save you who knows how many hours of grinding.

I debated installing the mod for my science experiment but yeah, in addition to the cargo tweaking it also apparently breaks some default stats about hyperdrive calculation so it can't really be used as a proper control

if push really comes to shove I can just edit the additional cargo slots into my existing ship but I usually try and keep the save state mostly legitimate since it's always an unknown quantity of "will today's save edits break tomorrow's quest states", especially with this game

In the meantime I just need to find one S-class capship, which is theoretically a 1-in-10 in a 3-star econ system, and apparently things have changed so that if you dock in the station during a pirate attack the pirates just...despawn? so each check of a ship has turned into a 30 second turnaround time, which is much much nicer than it used to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Man playing around on the expedition, I think I might make this my main game as crap it throws a lot of upgrades and stuff at you, my backpack is huge already!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The single funniest thing about the expedition is that now that I need pirates to show up, I can't find the bastards. No missions on space stations for them either.

Guess I'll have to find a hostile system and fly around for a million years.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What's the best way to accumulate those upgrade modules for your Freighter? I really want to like, use my freighter as a true mobile base, jumping around and whatnot, but those modules are incredibly rare.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JerikTelorian posted:

What's the best way to accumulate those upgrade modules for your Freighter? I really want to like, use my freighter as a true mobile base, jumping around and whatnot, but those modules are incredibly rare.
Outlaw Freighters.

Head to an Outlaw system. Blow the freighters the gently caress up. This won't affect your faction ranks, and there's no space cops in outlaw space. If you're worried about reputation, leave the standalone pods flying alongside them alone.

If you gun down 10 freighters you'll usually have a frigate module, about 20m in contraband, and many tons of frigate fuel. Warp to a normal system and sell all the contraband.

Rinse, repeat.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I just use the portable refiner dupe trick or the save editor, but I put limits on it. I find it's a good balance between the thrill of finding poo poo and not being super grindy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tsar Mikey posted:

I just use the portable refiner dupe trick or the save editor, but I put limits on it. I find it's a good balance between the thrill of finding poo poo and not being super grindy.

I do kind of wish there was a way to "apply" incremental rewards from expeditions to your main save-- case in point this time around, you earn all of the warp upgrades by doing the expedition (which is fun), but if you already had a save that you want to keep that isn't the expedition, the only way is "grind out like 40 modules by hand over the course of a dozen hours" or "cheat" and there's not really a middle ground there even now.

The cheating is trivial enough that you can self-impose whatever limits you feel like, obviously, but it'd be nice if there were something a bit more dev-blessed there like "merge your iterations and all their blueprints/inventory upgrades/rep/learned words" or something

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Stare-Out posted:

The single funniest thing about the expedition is that now that I need pirates to show up, I can't find the bastards. No missions on space stations for them either.

Guess I'll have to find a hostile system and fly around for a million years.

Outlaw Stations almost always have them as a mission type.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CaptainSkinny posted:

Outlaw Stations almost always have them as a mission type.

That's true, but one mission spawns like, what? 6 at most? The milestone is for 15.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

That's true, but one mission spawns like, what? 6 at most? The milestone is for 15.

yeah, and you do 3 missions for it

still way faster than waiting for them to look for your cargo and spawn in 2s and 3s at random

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In the expedition does hiring new fleet ships unlock at some point, have I been unlucky finding ones willing to sell themselves, or do you just have the one explorer for the whole time?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

In the expedition does hiring new fleet ships unlock at some point, have I been unlucky finding ones willing to sell themselves, or do you just have the one explorer for the whole time?

Unlucky or bugged, I saw the "finish 8 missions" requirement and basically immediately started grabbing ships to send out before doing much of anything else because of prior experience with that poo poo being an expedition chokepoint

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Also finally done, max stats

Capital freighter maximum capacity:

S: 48+21+48
A: 42+14+40
B: 35+14+32
C: 35+7+24

Non-capital maximum capacity:

A: 40+14+40
B: 35+7+32
C: 25+7+24

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Encountered a few issues playing (PC) with my friend (PS4).

My settlement had a sentinel attack. When I cleared out all 6 sentinels, it still said there were 6 left. Like it would count down as I destroyed them and then would start over and 6 more would spawn. He wasn't in the same system as me at the time.

Did a Nexus mission to get 8 quad servos. I'm new enough to the game that I didn't understand what a quad was, but looked it up. It's the dog-like sentinels, for anyone unaware.

Anyway, we were in an abandoned manufacturing plant, I picked the wrong answer at the terminal and all hell broke loose, as it does. After about 30 minutes of constant fighting, only 3 quads spawned. We took out so many walkers, minotaurs, and the flying sentinels, but there were barely any quads. Really sucked the fun out of it all. We just abandoned the mission and called it a night.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Wild.

So S class it doesn't matter. A it barely does.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Twitch drops are supposed to be able to be claimed on any number of saves right?

I was trying to claim some on this new expedition and I couldn't see a lot of stuff that I usually claim on these. Older Twitch drops for multitools, ships, even upgrade packs weren't in the list. I saw stuff from the most recent drops listed there. And I was able to see all of my old expedition stuff to claim. Just not the older Twitch stuff.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nullsmack posted:

Twitch drops are supposed to be able to be claimed on any number of saves right?

I was trying to claim some on this new expedition and I couldn't see a lot of stuff that I usually claim on these. Older Twitch drops for multitools, ships, even upgrade packs weren't in the list. I saw stuff from the most recent drops listed there. And I was able to see all of my old expedition stuff to claim. Just not the older Twitch stuff.

Reddit says there's a bug with that vendor where it can't display >100 items, and this last twitch drop cycle was "the one that pushed the old ones off the edge"

they're still there when checking account state with the save editor so presumably this'll get fixed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woohoo, got a Dream Aerial last night and a really cool living frigate. It's C class, which is a bummer, I was going to try and savescum but that first one just really looked cool and I went with it. It can be upgraded through missions like others, right? I'd like to get a bunch of the living freighters for my fleet, but I'm guessing now I just wait for more dream aerials to spawn for another shot? In the meantime gotta make several hundred millions of bucks.

Next big goal is finding a home planet. I have my initial home planet base and such where I started, but I wanna find somewhere deeper in with a nice mega exotic lush planet. Before bed I jumped several systems just scanning from the freighter to see if the planet types I wanted spawn. IS there a way to use that freighter scanner off the freighter? Would be useful when cruisng in ship without having to dock and risk that awful loud freighter noise.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Wow this is kind of cool to know, glad I didn't spend a lot of time farming for a capital one....going to have to check them all out to see what style I like the most!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Am I still supposed to ignore the first free freighter I’m offered? Will I still get free freighter opportunities later?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In case anyone else was trying to figure out how to organize a freighter base without losing buildings, you can go out and above. I have mine color-coded to keep track of things.

It's not the sexiest angle, but it works. Just make sure to keep track of where the door is to get back in. I put some spotlights over there, doesn't stand out from this angle but when I'm standing on the rooms they do.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Am I still supposed to ignore the first free freighter I’m offered? Will I still get free freighter opportunities later?
It depends.

You could take it and start saving up tons of cash (100-200m) for an eventual upgrade. It's not like money is that hard to get mid-game and later. And having a freighter is super convenient

Or skip it and wait for a much better free one. This will delay the freighter-having but will optimize your cash much more efficiently.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Other than looks, does it even matter? There isn't enough tech modules for freighters to need more space and storage space is practically unlimited with the cargo room modules.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ughhhh posted:

Other than looks, does it even matter? There isn't enough tech modules for freighters to need more space and storage space is practically unlimited with the cargo room modules.
There's some benefits to having more space outside of cargo pods, especially before you fully upgrade your warp drive.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Barring aesthetics, the biggest reason to kick on the first one and wait for the second is that the capital ships still start with more cargo space opened up-- pretty much all of the capships start with about +20 inventory spaces available from the get-go in comparison. Money may not matter in the long run, but leg-ups you get in the early game are still going to have an outsized effect on what you can and can't do until you get to that more-endgame state.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Khanstant posted:

Woohoo, got a Dream Aerial last night and a really cool living frigate. It's C class, which is a bummer, I was going to try and savescum but that first one just really looked cool and I went with it. It can be upgraded through missions like others, right? I'd like to get a bunch of the living freighters for my fleet, but I'm guessing now I just wait for more dream aerials to spawn for another shot? In the meantime gotta make several hundred millions of bucks.

To get more living frigates after the first you need to use anomaly detectors, which sometimes drop from blasting asteroids. Use one and keep pulsing past all the signals it detects until it shows up as a whale song. It may take a while, and if one doesn't show up in a system after 20 or so signals just warp to a new system and try again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MrGreenShirt posted:

and if one doesn't show up in a system after 20 or so signals just warp to a new system and try again.

Don't even have to do that, one will show up in every system eventually, just be sure you're in a system that has a dominant race listed (even if it's evacuated)-- living ships show up in unpopulated systems but I think there's some code that gets confused about "what species is supposed to be on this frigate" because as far as I've seen, the ones in those systems will never talk to you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

yeah, and you do 3 missions for it

still way faster than waiting for them to look for your cargo and spawn in 2s and 3s at random

This is true although funny to me in the last expo they were pinging every 5 minutes reliably.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Don't even have to do that, one will show up in every system eventually, just be sure you're in a system that has a dominant race listed (even if it's evacuated)-- living ships show up in unpopulated systems but I think there's some code that gets confused about "what species is supposed to be on this frigate" because as far as I've seen, the ones in those systems will never talk to you.

Yeah, for how much grinding I end up doing in this game I do get awful impatient!

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I just now noticed the colorblind filters for the galaxy map in the options. I can warp into systems without having to make educated guesses about color?

:aaaaa:

/cue emotional video of an old man seeing color for the first time

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I found this gorgeous A class solar sailor for 3.5 mil in the final rendezvous system:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 29, 2022

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Tsar Mikey posted:

I just now noticed the colorblind filters for the galaxy map in the options. I can warp into systems without having to make educated guesses about color?

:aaaaa:

/cue emotional video of an old man seeing color for the first time

This is the VERY FIRST GAME I have ever played that got the filter colors correct too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That was a good expedition. Neat rewards too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sweet, although I've tried the same with living ship to get a single upgrade but in probably an hour of pulsing past couple days with the anomly detector never got an alien upgrade.

Tsar Mikey posted:

Now if only they had a filter for 3 star economies that hides the non-3 stars.

Stare-Out posted:

That was a good expedition. Neat rewards too.

This is my first one! Pretty neat so far, honestly the milestone system just seems like a quest system the main game should have.

I got a milestone for hopping in someone's submarine exocraft lol. I actually built my first sub the other day on my main save. Landed on some lovely ocean planet, barely had a tiny sliver ot land on and my objective was like 6 minutes away via swimming. I grabbed the last resources I needed to build the exocraft sub thing and hopped in and... geez what a letdown, is it any faster to ride in the nautilus compared to swimming? I'm sure it gets better with upgrades but man I went from "oh my god there's subnautica in this game" to "oh my god I hope i never have to encounter an underwater structure ever again." Turns out the quest that brought me there was specifically an ocean quest. I was interested in making an underwater base, but unless the nautilus gets a lot better, woof.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
"Being underwater at all" in this game is miserable for numerous reasons and I usually try to avoid it at all costs. If pressed, the hovercraft can get you to a location above water faster and the minotaur lets you treat being underwater basically like being on land, even if that's at the cost of being in the minotaur.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I was going to ask if any of the exocraft were good actually. I used the buggy thing on my gamespass save sometimes bc it was faster than walking but haven't built it in my current save. also lol i forgot the main base building quest gives you all these blueprints I already bought. idk why ive put it off until after i get so far into the game, both times ive played. Especially since 99% of the holdup on completion is me hyperjumping to find appropriately coloured terminal operators, despite knowing I could just grab the first scrub I see and replace them later. It is satisfying to ge ta quest to go gather something, and then you can just iunstantly complete it because you already have a big stack in storage. my greatest shame on this save was having to fly to a random planet to gather 30 marrow bulb b/c i just never bothered storing any up yet.

I think my real beef with ocean planets is that either it's all ocean so the land portions get like, two lovely landscape elements, or it's a balanced planet with landmasses and oceans but the oceans still eat up like half the creature and plants, and there's an extremely limited set of ocean thingies to begin with. My least fav places are ones that are too cookie cutter, currently having this struggle with planets that get the beautiful technicolous dream grass. Very often they spawn with the simple set of the same fungal plants, and those have little to no variation and very much look like props sprinkled around rather than organic plant patches.

edit:

Re underwater base... can you even take off from it or will you always be needing to build some weird tower with a landing dock on top or just warp in and out? Ships seem like they should get a module for underwater.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

the minotaur owns tho

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

My only gripe with exocraft is that I cant use the scanner while onboard.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah exocraft ime (and it's a short one) are good for two things -

1. A kickass scanner that's way better than yours
2. A giant robot to follow you around (that you can hide in if needed)

They're slower than punch-jumping with stacked movement modules.

ughhhh posted:

My only gripe with exocraft is that I cant use the scanner while onboard.
The exocraft scanners (once you research the good ones) are way better than yours. Use the quick menu to find all the poo poo. Minotaur is worse than the others, unfortunately, but still better than yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

i meant, i cant scan flora and fauna while in my robo or hoverbike. unless i have missed this feature this whole time...