Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

njsykora posted:

No you don't need DDR5.

Yes, thats better than my suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You will soon need DDR5, though (if you want a new AMD system)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Maintain hope all ye who enter :unsmith:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Get a dedicated circuit breaker

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PC Building Megathread: Are you sure you want ITX?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Sorry Everyone Who Bought A GPU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

You spent WHAT on a 3080?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CaptainSarcastic posted:

mods???

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just downsized

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I want ITX, quiet, under $600 and 4K at 500hz. Also, it can't use a lot of power.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Been forever and I come once again for help.

Comp is showing its age a bit and wondering which of these three probably needs the upgrade for gaming now. Mainly play MMO's and stuff like Vermintide 2.

CPU: Intel i7-3770 @3.40
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 16 GB

Budget's around $400, what'd be the best for it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fans posted:

Comp is showing its age a bit and wondering which of these three probably needs the upgrade for gaming now. Mainly play MMO's and stuff like Vermintide 2.

The CPU is going to be holding you back more than anything. While the 1060 is an older card, it holds up at 1080p. Unfortunately your system uses DDR3 so you'll want a CPU, motherboard, and RAM. That's going to be tight at $400 but not impossible. Also make sure your main system disk is an SSD. It greatly improves performance in day to day usage and is particularly good for games like MMOs where there's loading in of different models.

I'd look at a B550 chipset board, AMD Ryzen 5 5600, and 16GB of DDR4-3600. If you can go a little higher get a NVMe SSD for the system disk (at least 512GB, 1TB preferred) and maybe get the 5600X CPU and a nice CPU cooler.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fans posted:

You could use new everything. Upgrading the CPU will require upgrading the memory as well since yours won't be compatible with new CPUs and motherboards. Upgrading the GPU could unlock more overall performance in certain games, but it would be really hitchy and bad feeling with that 3770 holding things back. So I recommend upgrading the CPU first as it would ensure you can at least have a smooth and consistent experience, and some games would still get a good performance boost. Think about saving up for a new GPU after that.

If you live near a micro center and your local store has this in stock, then I recommend this CPU+motherboard combo, a basic $30 aftermarket cooler, and 32GB of DDR4-3600 or something. That would come out to less than $400.

If you don't live near a micro center or that combo is out of stock, then you should grab an i5-12400F, a basic B660 motherboard, and 32GB of DDR4-3200, which should just barely put you at around $400. Intel's i5 chips are really good right now, and the 12400 represents a fantastic value. This puts you $27 under your $400 budget. I think it would be worth buying the cooler I linked above too to use instead of the stock cooler, but it wouldn't be strictly necessary (or if you already have a good aftermarket cooler, then you will need to contact the manufacturer for an LGA1700 mounting bracket).

(edit: If you get that DDR4-3200 instead of 3600 with the AMD combo, then you could get an NVMe, which would be a big upgrade to system responsiveness if you're still running things off of really old SSDs or HDDs)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 29, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why recommend 32GB of RAM if the budget is tight?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm actually in the UK so micro center is a no go, just put it in dollars since it seems the normal here.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Because memory is cheap right now, especially DDR4-3200 (it's $80 for 32GB only), and it would set the OP up for the next however many years without having to worry about adding more memory down the line.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fans posted:

I'm actually in the UK so micro center is a no go, just put it in dollars since it seems the normal here.

Oh, well, this changes things somewhat. I think I'd recommend a 5600 + B550, looking at the prices over there if you want to stay under budget. Something like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCjmmr

Memory is a lot more expensive over there. You can cut around 40 by going with 16GB of memory instead, or you can cut the cooler and use the stock cooler if the budget is really tight, but the parts in that link are around what I'd recommend.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh, well, this changes things somewhat. I think I'd recommend a 5600 + B550, looking at the prices over there if you want to stay under budget. Something like this: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCjmmr

Memory is a lot more expensive over there. You can cut around 40 by going with 16GB of memory instead, or you can cut the cooler and use the stock cooler if the budget is really tight, but the parts in that link are around what I'd recommend.

Stellar!

Got a bit of cash left over so any recommendations on a 60 or under case? My current ones given up on the front USB slots and is just a bit battered really.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fans posted:

Stellar!

Got a bit of cash left over so any recommendations on a 60 or under case? My current ones given up on the front USB slots and is just a bit battered really.

The NZXT H510 Flow is exactly 60, and it's the best in that price range from what I'm seeing. The two fans it comes with should be enough since you won't have any really hot parts in there.

How old is your PSU, though? Because I'd change that out first if it's as old as your CPU, to be honest. If it's somewhat recent, then don't worry about it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

The NZXT H510 Flow is exactly 60, and it's the best in that price range from what I'm seeing. The two fans it comes with should be enough since you won't have any really hot parts in there.

How old is your PSU, though? Because I'd change that out first if it's as old as your CPU, to be honest. If it's somewhat recent, then don't worry about it.

Oh no that's about as old as everything else in this thing. PSU instead then!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fans posted:

Oh no that's about as old as everything else in this thing. PSU instead then!

I'm trying to find a good PSU for 60 or under, but when sorting for gold-rated PSUs or better on PCPartPicker, the cheapest one of decent quality I can find that's 650W or more is the 700W EVGA GD for 66, a non-modular one that's pretty alright. This would allow you to upgrade to a ~250W GPU down the line (a bit more power than what the RTX 3070 pulls).

You really don't want to keep decade-old PSUs around as they're ticking time bombs. If an old PSU dies, it could take the rest of your computer with it in the worst case scenario. More common is that it dies on its own, of course, but you don't want to roll that dice. I've heard too many horror stories.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 29, 2022

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Alright put in an order and should all get here in a week and a bit. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help Goons!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I think it would be worth buying the cooler I linked above too to use instead of the stock [intel] cooler, but it wouldn't be strictly necessary.

+1 for Thermalright cooler on a 12th gen intel chip. The Assassin Spirit with its fan at ~800RPM keeps my i5-12400 at around 27-32C when idle/during normal PC usage. Coolest running PC I've ever had :allears:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Stupid question on buying RAM. Had some faulty RAM with a PC build I did for someone. Bought GSkill Aegis 2x16, not on the MB support list. I typically use Ripjaws from them. However, none of the size I have is listed on the official supported list. The list is outdated though as it only goes up to the Picasso set of chips (Ryzen 3xxxx), but does support the newest 5xxx series. I've used GSkill in pretty much all my builds just because they've been reliable for me, any reason I can't just slap in a new set of Ripjaw 2x16's? MB is a Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2, and does officially support the 2x8GB version.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

change my name posted:

I pulled the trigger on a Lian Li Q58 since Amazon had the white version "like new" for only $80 with free shipping. It's the PCI-e gen 3.0 riser cable version though, will I see any bottlenecks with a 3070? I've seen gaming benchmarks that only put it at a 1-2% difference

Most likely not, no. You will want to set that slot to 3.0 mode before installing the riser cable, though, otherwise it won't work.

This might be a good one for an updated OP as it seems to come up a bit - I'm building for the first time in 10+ years with all new parts and had the same question. I know the performance impact is negligible, but are there any other stability/futureproofing pitfalls or actions needed if running PCIE4 parts on a 3.0 riser cable?

I don't have a spare GPU. I'm assuming all that's needed is to build outside the case, insert the GPU directly into the motherboard PCIE slot to enable display so I can enter BIOS and set it to 3.0. Then power off, remove the GPU and re-install in the case with the riser cable?

Basically, is there any situation where it is worth it to shell out $50-60 bucks for a PCIE4 riser?

Pork Chops Aplenty fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 29, 2022

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Been using my new living room gaming pc for a few days and love it, everything runs 4k at 60+fps ultra easily, and PC software is much more adaptable to 4k than the last time I tried this back in 2018. Thanks to everyone who helped answer my million questions, especially Dr. Video Games 0031.

(Turned off the green RGB since then, was just using that to see if GPU temps were okay)

Couch cockpit

Very spacious case, probably should have gone smaller, but that's online ordering for ya.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an AIO pump/rad anywhere without the fans? I just got a bunch of AL120 fans and don't want the ones that come with the Galahad. I'm near certain I'll just have to eat the cost but figured I'd ask around. No luck on Ebay or SA-Mart, not really sure where to look from there.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

roomtwofifteen posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to get an AIO pump/rad anywhere without the fans? I just got a bunch of AL120 fans and don't want the ones that come with the Galahad. I'm near certain I'll just have to eat the cost but figured I'd ask around. No luck on Ebay or SA-Mart, not really sure where to look from there.

The cost of the fans is so minimal that it wouldn't be worth them packaging a whole separate SKU to make it $5-$10 cheaper.

It's never bad to have extra fans laying around.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

I want to build a box, that is at the sweet spot of performance/price, to run scrapers. This will basically be node.js/chromium/minikube. I probably need 2-3 of these but I'm not sure where to start. Almost everything is geared towards gaming or video editing.

My thoughts are, lots of ram, disk speed isn't super important, and as many threads as possible even if each one is slow. Does this sound right?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Reasier posted:

I want to build a box, that is at the sweet spot of performance/price, to run scrapers. This will basically be node.js/chromium/minikube. I probably need 2-3 of these but I'm not sure where to start. Almost everything is geared towards gaming or video editing.

My thoughts are, lots of ram, disk speed isn't super important, and as many threads as possible even if each one is slow. Does this sound right?

I'm not sure about the exact requirements for that software but for my VM boxes I prioritize number of CPU cores and RAM. Storage space is less important because you can get away with small OS installs as long as your software isn't huge. Kubernetes isn't quite like VMs but if you're running multiple instances of chromium then I think core count will still help. I always found that older server hardware was the cheapest way to get a bunch of cores was the easiest way to do this but I built mine in 2016 using xeons from 2011 that were a dirt cheap way to get 12 cores and 48GB of RAM.

So, I'd consider if you want to build a new system. If so, the higher core count CPUs will be useful but there's a big price increase on Threadripper/epyc/xeon stuff if you buy it new. Avoiding that would leave you looking at consumer stuff if you want to go that way. For Intel, their current CPUs have 8 performance cores at the high end in that space with the i7-12700K ($400) or i9-12900K ($600). There's also the 10th gen i9-10900K which had 10 cores and isn't a slouch but is a couple of years old and lacks efficiency cores. It will be harder to find motherboards but not impossible since it hasn't been that long, and they're still on sale for around $400. AMD has the 12 core 5900X ($360) and 16 core 5950X ($500). If your workload can use the efficiency cores in the Intel chips they may be worth consideration since they also have an internal GPU while AMD does not. Then, you're just looking at motherboards that can handle the power delivery and RAM needed.

I'd also consider looking at high core count server stuff that's 3+ years old and being cycled out of datacenters or businesses as an option, too. Workloads like you're suggesting don't often need high clock speeds so much as many cores since they're each just using a single thread or two but they're all going at once. Here's a quick example of a workstation tower which has a 16 core xeon from 2016 and 64GB of RAM on ebay for about $400 for the whole thing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234612708754?hash=item36a001d592:g:s-AAAOSwvXBiRh3Y

It's even got disks although you may want to just get one big SSD and pull the drives it comes with. One thing to note is that some of these systems have proprietary power supplies or motherboards so you're often locked into what comes from the manufacturer to some degree. There are usually a lot of aftermarket parts available online, however. When shopping for older server stuff I find the Xeon naming schemes kind of impenetrable so the best trick is just to google the CPU and look at the Intel ARK page for it. That will show the release year, number of cores, speed, chipset, etc. For the above HP workstation the Xeon is this one:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/91766/intel-xeon-processor-e52683-v4-40m-cache-2-10-ghz/specifications.html
You can see that it's not super fast at 3ghz boost clock but it's got 16 cores in a single chip and in 2016 doing that with 120 Watts of thermal design power output required lower clock speeds.

So in your situation I'd start thinking about those options. On one hand you can go for newer stuff that will be faster but more costly. On the other if you're just doing this to make money then it's often better just to go with something that's sufficient and not too expensive like older enterprise hardware that will get the job done and pay for itself more quickly. I lean towards the latter myself since running VMs paid for the hardware many times over (they were on ad playing sites that paid a couple of bucks a day), but our situations aren't exactly the same so I'm not sure how comparable they are.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Where does the Intel vs AMD race sit at currently? From what I can see the new AMD chips are looking like releasing September/ Octoberish. Where is Intel? Are they ready to drop new chips as well? I currently have a 3900x, and I know if I stuck with AMD, I'd have to move on from the AM4 socket to use the new upcoming processors. So if I had to do that, the options are open for an Intel build as well.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Intel has a release coming up soon, but it's just a refresh of Alder Lake, not a new architecture like AMD is doing

Word is the new Intel chips will double the number of E-cores over Alder Lake, so you'll get 8+8 cores on the i7 or 8+16 cores on the i9

Alder Lake 8+8 is already a massive power hog so...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zotix posted:

Where does the Intel vs AMD race sit at currently? From what I can see the new AMD chips are looking like releasing September/ Octoberish. Where is Intel? Are they ready to drop new chips as well? I currently have a 3900x, and I know if I stuck with AMD, I'd have to move on from the AM4 socket to use the new upcoming processors. So if I had to do that, the options are open for an Intel build as well.

More even than it's been in a long time.

My personal plan is to probably upgrade from my 3600X to likely a 5800X3D and wait for a while for the next generation CPUs to mature before upgrading everything else. I got an RTX 3080 12GB last month and have 32GB of DDR4 3200, so feel like if I bump the CPU to peak for AM4 then I have a significant window of time where my rig is close to top of the line and I can be patient. The 5800X3D is just expensive enough I've been waiting to pull the trigger, and the rumors about a potential 5600X3D have also made me feel like I need to wait a bit longer, too.

If I was starting from scratch the equation would be different, though.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Maybe I should consider something like that. I run a 3080ti, and I know the 3900x is no slouch, but it's also not the best CPU for gaming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There seems to be a 5 - 10% single-threaded boost to the upcoming Intel chips based on the testing of some qualification samples, but that appears to be mostly be a result of higher clocks with only a small IPC uplift if any. These chips probably aren't dropping until october or november.

Zen 4 is still largely a mystery, with AMD only claiming a single-threaded performance increase of "greater than 15%," whatever that means. Some are claiming AMD was sandbagging with that estimate, but who knows. Multi-threaded performance boosts will be much higher than the ST boosts for both AMD and Intel chips since they seem to be focusing on making it so the chips can run at higher all-core boost clocks. (and the intel chips will have more efficiency cores)

We will find out the details soon. AMD's chips are expected to come out in mid-september, so in six to seven weeks we'll have reviews, and maybe leaked benchmarks to ogle at sooner.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Zotix posted:

Maybe I should consider something like that. I run a 3080ti, and I know the 3900x is no slouch, but it's also not the best CPU for gaming.

I would not consider upgrading a 3900x right now. Performance on that chip is fine-to-good, and with Zen 4 coming and DDR5 pricing coming down to reasonable it feels bad to lock into AM4 + DDR4.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it seems like power consumption is going to go significantly up for both AMD & Intel with the next-gen CPUs so we just have to hope that efficiency isn't going out the window too

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I would not consider upgrading a 3900x right now. Performance on that chip is fine-to-good, and with Zen 4 coming and DDR5 pricing coming down to reasonable it feels bad to lock into AM4 + DDR4.

if i can recoup most the cost of a hypothetical 5600x3d with a 3900x, and chips with a ton of cores tend to keep a surprising amount of value, i'll be very very tempted. can't think of another reason i'd do it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

if i can recoup most the cost of a hypothetical 5600x3d with a 3900x, and chips with a ton of cores tend to keep a surprising amount of value, i'll be very very tempted. can't think of another reason i'd do it.

I guess :shrug:

You also have to consider motherboard compatibility (not every 3900X board would support 5600x3D), plus time and effort to do a CPU swap, plus the time and effort to sell the 3900X.

With the expected performance gap at the resolutions a 3080 user would play, there just isn't large enough difference IMO to go through all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I run most titles that I can at 3440x1440 if possible.