Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"It ain't gonna be MY problem lmao"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Happy you found the issue but WTF was the PO thinking? LOL

like 80% of the time it's literally "one of the trades wasn't done yet" + "the drywallers showed up and drywalled over everything and did not care if the other trades had finished their work first"

There's a possibility that was intentional like someone thought it would be fine, but I think most of the time poo poo like this is due to poor management of the subcontractors, who are notorious for not showing up on the day they said they would, throwing all dependencies into chaos

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

raggedphoto posted:

Happy you found the issue but WTF was the PO thinking? LOL

Ran out of 2" PVC late in the day, and also needed more drywall + mud.

Got home, realized he forgot the PVC, & said, "gently caress it."

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"It ain't gonna be MY problem lmao"

The PO bought the house specifically to flip and sell, and given some of the other quirks I've had to sort out over time, I'm guessing it's some combination of this and the earlier-suggested potential scheduling mishaps with contractors. v:shobon:v

Vent pipe is repaired and here's hoping that particular problem is solved forever. Now I have a roughly 1' x 5' drywall hole to fix! I helped my parents finish their basement years ago so I have some experience with drywall, so I'm hoping a bit of studying on Youtube can fill in the gaps in my memory and knowledge before I try DIY'ing this.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I think someone in this thread mentioned Vancouver carpenter for drywall and painting videos, well worth looking into. His skim coating videos made all the difference for my project house and I definitely improved my painting skills from his tutorials.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Found rat turds in the engine bay of my garage queen. Long pointy beefy turds, definitely not mice droppings

Just buy rat poison, guess?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Found rat turds in the engine bay of my garage queen. Long pointy beefy turds, definitely not mice droppings

Rat poison should be illegal. Snap traps or electro death chambers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Hadlock posted:

Not poison. You don't want them eating it and dying somewhere you can't see or get them. You also don't want animals eating their poisoned bodies and getting poisoned also.

Sticky traps also suck. They're pretty inhumane and don't always work. My last rental had a rat problem in the crawlspace and hearing a stuck rat squeal and toss around for an hour felt like an eternity. It happened in the middle of the night and woke us up from a dead sleep. It triggered the snap trap and missed it, but in getting around it, it got partially stuck in the glue trap.

Bait some snap rat traps. Not the lovely wood ones, not small traps for mice but the big strong plastic ones. I like the ones with teeth because I'm my experience they work the best.

Peanut butter usually works well as bait. The store bought bait works well too. You can try some random stuff. Bacon, chocolate etc.

When we moved into my house last year I found a bunch of gold foil chocolate coin wrappers in the loft of my garage and a bunch of old turds. I cleaned it all out and never saw anything new. Nothing inside the house or crawlspace. I've set traps outside and caught a few since and there are no signs of new rats. I've seen similar chocolate coin wrappers around the neighborhood when I walk my dog so I'm curious where this mother lode of chocolate coins exists.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is this lower black pipe usable under my kitchen sink? I was doing some measuring, if I want to get one of those deep kitchen sinks, the depth + disposal depth would put the P-trap too low to drain from the upper one. Can I switch to that lower one? Or is that something completely different?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

phosdex posted:

Is this lower black pipe usable under my kitchen sink? I was doing some measuring, if I want to get one of those deep kitchen sinks, the depth + disposal depth would put the P-trap too low to drain from the upper one. Can I switch to that lower one? Or is that something completely different?

Hard to say for sure but I'm betting that's a clean out and thus no, it's not available for use.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That is the clean out, I'm pretty sure. And you need room for the water airlock u joint

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can just switch the clean out to the upper hole it’s all connects to the same vertical pipe. Also you can just replace that section of vertical pipe if you remove the cabinet which you are probable gonna do. Plumbers are not that expensive though and you don’t need to do a good job finishing drywall behind a cabinet.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ok, that thing is a clean out? There's another one in my laundry closet, was wondering what that was. I really have no idea how houses are built or what's going on in here. I have learned that a lot of things are easier than they seem though and you can watch videos to figure it out. Figured I could do the sink and stuff myself since plumbers where I am seem to be in high demand and expensive.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Find out what it is for certain, first.

I’d start by uncovering it & running the sink & see if either water comes out or if you deem air wafting out (use a match or lighter)

Run some water through it & see if it comes out somewhere

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Verman posted:

Not the lovely wood ones

The big rat trap ones scare the gently caress out of me. I had a mousetrap close on my hand when I was 4-5 yrs old, and I've been terrified of them ever since.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sundae posted:

The big rat trap ones scare the gently caress out of me. I had a mousetrap close on my hand when I was 4-5 yrs old, and I've been terrified of them ever since.

I used to put together little mousetrap exploding outhouses as a kid, which requires you to disassemble parts of a mousetrap. I'd say now as an adult you should easily withstand a mousetrap snapping your fingat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also figure out where they're getting into the garage and seal that up. Even if you kill one, if there's a rat hole more will keep coming in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Simply obtain a cat from your nearest humane society or dumpster

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Also figure out where they're getting into the garage and seal that up. Even if you kill one, if there's a rat hole more will keep coming in.

Lol

It's less garage and more barn, and on the other side of the fence is my neighbor's junk pile where most of them live

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

They’re gonna devour that old French darling

Look at your local ordinances to see if your neighbor may be violating junk / clutter law, Chicago has some laws about this to keep the rats down, but some yards and neighbors are very junky and they usually deftly know how to toe the line of breaking the law

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 29, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I had a big problem with mice in my lovely 81yo garage after I moved in and after finding evidence they'd gotten inside my car I tore the place apart and filled every hole I could find with hardware cloth and steel wool.

This did absolutely nothing to stop them. I only stopped finding them in my snap traps on a daily basis once I cleaned up all the weeds and bush growing on two sides of the structure.

Godspeed, that's a sweet car.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Lol

It's less garage and more barn, and on the other side of the fence is my neighbor's junk pile where most of them live

yeah the bottoms of those doors are torn to poo poo, that'd be my first place to start.

look at it this way: fixing up that garage so it doesn't further decay is a good idea regardless, and as a bonus if you're thorough you might also eventually save your car from being eaten.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

But have you considered gun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM09ZgY2qPM

Shawn Woods has a lot of interesting traps on his channel and there are many that are practical (unlike the one I linked just because it's amazing), but rats are extremely suspicious of traps and hard to catch. I'd consider contracting a pest control company unless you're prepared for a protracted battle involving sealing up the building as best you can as well as trapping a lot. Woods adds traps he likes that work and that he's featured on the channel to his amazon shop. Here's the rat traps and you can check his videos for him testing them out:
https://smile.amazon.com/shop/historichunter/list/ZHANDE1TOV5Y

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
I just can't kill furry things, even though I should. We had a gopher in our yard/garden and it was driving us crazy. But then we noticed our neighborhood hawk spotted it and would sit on our fence and look at where it was digging. When we came back from Home Depot (to buy a trap, ironically), we saw that the soil was disturbed from wings(?) and we surmise that the hawk got the gopher. Haven't seen it since then (that was over a month ago).

Modern problems require modern(*) solutions.

(* ancient)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hadlock posted:

Lol

OK slightly off topic, but can any way give a name to those style of doors? My instinct is to call them "barn doors" but anything you find searching for that is related to sliding interior doors in a barn style. I've come across "shed doors" and that seems to be more accurate.

I ask because I'll be rebuilding some in my garage that are in similar shape, and I'm not sure how, and not even being sure what to call them makes it difficult to find good ideas.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I too thought they were called barn doors but on further investigation appear to be called "double doors", with the SEO-optimized* name being "double shed doors"

*does not indicate this is actually used by humans IRL

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Swinging garage doors also gets some stuff

Remember when science olympiad had a web search event. Like it was a skill to be able to find things online. Then search engines got really good, so that skill was pretty unnecessary. It seems that skill is becoming useful again

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Epitope posted:

Remember when science olympiad had a web search event. Like it was a skill to be able to find things online. Then search engines got really good, so that skill was pretty unnecessary. It seems that skill is becoming useful again

it's really just Google

at some point Google started generalizing all searches and it works for most things but makes it impossible to find very specific things. Just switching to bing for those queries works pretty well in my experience.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Me when I'm working on the house, drilling and cutting things. "this is good and normal"

When I have a contractor out "what the Jesus christ are you doing"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

Me when I'm working on the house, drilling and cutting things. "this is good and normal"

IF ANYONE'S GOING TO gently caress THIS UP, IT'LL BE MEeeeeeeee

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Pretty much seems like this is a good mantra as of lately.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

I debated calling my HVAC guy to turn off the pilot light to the furnace at the end of Spring, and decided to do so (I get leery of messing with natural gas) and he explained to me that pilot lights haven't been code-compliant since the 1980s and my furnace is 6 years old.

I have no idea what I'm doing, is basically the lesson there, and I should call someone who does for basically anything non-trivial.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Exactly right.

It turned out the godawful hammering of wood was just driving staples into my joists for a ground wire.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

StormDrain posted:

Me when I'm working on the house: I've run out of options and so I'll have to drill and cut things

When a contractor is working on the house: Better start out by drilling and cutting things

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Could use some fast advice.

I have Petro servicing my oil. My tank (above ground, in what is a walled off crawl space accessible only from the outside) is leaking. Of course the tank is full.

Petro wants to put a temp tank on the side of my house and pump it into there for $1100. I was thinking about converting to a heat pump anyway, so I don’t really want a temp tank on the side of my house.

I asked the dude if they could just take the oil (it’s like $600 worth) but The dude is aggressive and keeps just saying they won’t do that. Is that something that’s not really possible?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Corla Plankun posted:

it's really just Google

at some point Google started generalizing all searches and it works for most things but makes it impossible to find very specific things. Just switching to bing for those queries works pretty well in my experience.

I am really really pissed that (A) they took away the "+" operator so they could use it for Google Plus and (B) the quotation marks operator still allows Google to rewrite the word.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am really really pissed that (A) they took away the "+" operator so they could use it for Google Plus and (B) the quotation marks operator still allows Google to rewrite the word.

It infuriates me when it shows you results for a search query you didn’t type, just so it can show you something.

Running Bing for a few months was miserable though. I’d end up having to redo the search in Google 95% of the time.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Could use some fast advice.

I have Petro servicing my oil. My tank (above ground, in what is a walled off crawl space accessible only from the outside) is leaking. Of course the tank is full.

Petro wants to put a temp tank on the side of my house and pump it into there for $1100. I was thinking about converting to a heat pump anyway, so I don’t really want a temp tank on the side of my house.

I asked the dude if they could just take the oil (it’s like $600 worth) but The dude is aggressive and keeps just saying they won’t do that. Is that something that’s not really possible?

I have no expertise in this area but I imagine that they couldn't take and resell your oil because there is no way to guarantee that it hasn't been hosed with in some way outside of performing chemical analysis which doesn't make sense to do at this volume.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

I have no expertise in this area but I imagine that they couldn't take and resell your oil because there is no way to guarantee that it hasn't been hosed with in some way outside of performing chemical analysis which doesn't make sense to do at this volume.

I don’t even care if they pay me for it, I just don’t want a temp tank on the side of my house (or to pay for one) that I’m just gonna toss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I don’t even care if they pay me for it, I just don’t want a temp tank on the side of my house (or to pay for one) that I’m just gonna toss.

There’s going to be sludge in the bottom of your tank which requires special disposal. Some companies will buy the heating oil at a reduced price but you’re still left with the sludge at the bottom to deal with.