Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Could always shoot for North Sea empire. It's an even bigger slog though as you'll have to get and hold all of England , Norway and Denmark. But it's basically a better Scandinavian empire if you can pull it off. Already having Sweden, if you shoot for it and miss there's always the back up of just forming Scandinavia once you know you'll die in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Elias_Maluco posted:

I never get Scandinavia because of that: too big, and mostly worthless land, and is a slog to get it all

But I think it boils down to your goals, anyway. Unless you really want Scandinavia, go do whatever you feel is more fun. If you just want an empire so your realm wont split, you are probably pretty close to being able to create one anyway

ia there an option to create an empire outside of the ones that come up as de jures overy kingdoms in the title screen?

Masonity posted:

Could always shoot for North Sea empire. It's an even bigger slog though as you'll have to get and hold all of England , Norway and Denmark. But it's basically a better Scandinavian empire if you can pull it off. Already having Sweden, if you shoot for it and miss there's always the back up of just forming Scandinavia once you know you'll die in a year.

I already have all of Norway and most of Denmark, so this may be the way to go. Related to the above question, will this pop up on e I control them all? Also, should I adopt fuedalism?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Samadhi posted:

ia there an option to create an empire outside of the ones that come up as de jures overy kingdoms in the title screen?

If you didn't change the game rules creating custom kingdoms and empires is definitely an option. Check the decision menu.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Samadhi posted:

I already have all of Norway and most of Denmark, so this may be the way to go. Related to the above question, will this pop up on e I control them all? Also, should I adopt fuedalism?

You can create a new empire, it’s probably in your decision window showing you the requirements. It’s expensive though, in that it costs a good amount of money, prestige, and I think you need to be living legend too. I formed Scandinavia without too much issue on my current game start in Uppland though.

It is a little annoying, but you can holy war through Finland, which makes it a little easier. If you fill out the diplomat tree (middle one in diplomacy) then the added points means a lot of people will become your vassal voluntarily.

Save a lot of money before you feudalize. My income dropped off a cliff once I did because your MaA go from costing you prestige to costing you gold. Otherwise, it’s beneficial to do it because you get much better buildings. No more raiding though.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Doesn’t affect gameplay but your coat of arms and nickname will differ when forming the North Sea empire depending on the religion and government system you have when triggering it.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

You can create a new empire, it’s probably in your decision window showing you the requirements. It’s expensive though, in that it costs a good amount of money, prestige, and I think you need to be living legend too. I formed Scandinavia without too much issue on my current game start in Uppland though.

It is a little annoying, but you can holy war through Finland, which makes it a little easier. If you fill out the diplomat tree (middle one in diplomacy) then the added points means a lot of people will become your vassal voluntarily.

Save a lot of money before you feudalize. My income dropped off a cliff once I did because your MaA go from costing you prestige to costing you gold. Otherwise, it’s beneficial to do it because you get much better buildings. No more raiding though.

The main reason I want to feudalize is the buildings. I can't develop my counties at all any more

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Samadhi posted:

Note: as I am struggling mightily with trying to achieve this decision, you have to hold all 3 of the titles of Norway, Denmark and England for 30 years in a row, you also have to completely control the 'North Sea Heartlands' which is the swath of coastline that basically would be De Jure lands for such an Empire across those three Kingdoms.

To create a Custom Empire, you need extra things like Living Legend prestige and a boatload of cash.

Since you've got Jorvik, Uppland, and Norway, you could reform the religion, and feudalize. Even better is if you feudalize while holding all of the land. Your vassals will all feudalize at the same time.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Could I get a confirmation on whether a religion with the Rite tenet attaching it to Catholicism and something else that allows Crusades would be able to participate in the usual Catholic crusades?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mister Olympus posted:

Could I get a confirmation on whether a religion with the Rite tenet attaching it to Catholicism and something else that allows Crusades would be able to participate in the usual Catholic crusades?
Anecdotally, others have said that the Pope's crusaders are Catholic-exclusive territory. You'll have to make your own great holy wars.

-----

My own question: How do republican vassals choose their sucesor? The wiki's dry on the subject. I ask because a) republicans are like the ideal vassal, all taxes, never fracture, and no contract and b) All of a sudden Venice as member of my blood (but not dynasty) on the throne. I didn't even know the kids where eligible, I thought it was like theocracy where the game spins up new people out of air. So uh, if I give republics to my dynasty, what do I need to do to keep it in the family?

-----

Third, kinda open-ended question: What the hell do you do after hitting Empire? I usually goof off for a small bit then retire, as barring recreating Rome or mending the Schism there are no further goals in the game. My current run doesn't have a custom religion (on purpose), so I guess I could spin that up but it's far too late into the game to get any benefit from it. I've already installed dyansty members across a dozen kingdoms and have my own little custom tradition and awesome development ratings. Meh?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

Anecdotally, others have said that the Pope's crusaders are Catholic-exclusive territory. You'll have to make your own great holy wars.

-----

My own question: How do republican vassals choose their sucesor? The wiki's dry on the subject. I ask because a) republicans are like the ideal vassal, all taxes, never fracture, and no contract and b) All of a sudden Venice as member of my blood (but not dynasty) on the throne. I didn't even know the kids where eligible, I thought it was like theocracy where the game spins up new people out of air. So uh, if I give republics to my dynasty, what do I need to do to keep it in the family?

-----

Third, kinda open-ended question: What the hell do you do after hitting Empire? I usually goof off for a small bit then retire, as barring recreating Rome or mending the Schism there are no further goals in the game. My current run doesn't have a custom religion (on purpose), so I guess I could spin that up but it's far too late into the game to get any benefit from it. I've already installed dyansty members across a dozen kingdoms and have my own little custom tradition and awesome development ratings. Meh?

Republican succession works like theocratic succession. It sometimes spins people out of thin air, but will pick eligible existing people as long as they're not heirs to any titles. So you can't keep it in the family. (Although there is a bug with the tradition that allows you to create republics-- it makes republics with confederate partition, which will stay in the family.)

Yeah I retire too. Not much point-- all the fun is in the buildup.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

A very long time, yes -- two whole eras away.

Inheritance is bullshit difficult in this game compared to CK2.

Seniority+Absolute authority always works in a pinch, so just one era really. Also, when raising kids myself, I always try to make sure the 2nd/3rd/etc in line have pious traits if possible, that plus the dynastic favor gives you better than 50% odds they'll accept taking the vows, unless they're ambitious.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Once I've got my empire set up and stable and there is nothing to do I usually like to crusade and swap to the new crusader state. That can keep it interesting and challenging for a while longer and you can always call in your empire bro if you get in serious trouble (until the AI runs it into the ground)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Is not that high:

That gold and prestige required is specially very easy when you are tribal and can raid.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

-----

-----

For Venice, I don't really know how it works, but I gave someone of my dynasty Venice and a hundred years later it was still held by a dynasty member, so they're not spinning those rulers out of thin air at least.

I do like to continue on once I get emperor, but mostly because I really like conquering. I also like to play hostile religions and drive everyone out. I've been converting Europe over to Asatru, and it's now the biggest religion in the world, larger than all Christianity sects. It's only worth doing if you're into that I guess. Might retire my current game since I just got murdered at 30 and my 1 year old son took over. loving getting murdered after discovering two agents already.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Just formed Kingdom of Bosnia for the first time with the Belojevics and the shade of emerald green you get is so good :yoshi:

Byz just won a massive de jure war on me after I inherited the K. of Sardinia :stare:

Then he gave me all my core Bosnian demesne back along with all my vassals, so it’s almost like the AI meant to declare a forced vassalization war all along :shrug: Good thing I could chill in Cagliari in the meantime instead of game over.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Seniority+Absolute authority always works in a pinch, so just one era really. Also, when raising kids myself, I always try to make sure the 2nd/3rd/etc in line have pious traits if possible, that plus the dynastic favor gives you better than 50% odds they'll accept taking the vows, unless they're ambitious.
I like having relatives around to give land to when I'm over my limit and courtier-bait daughters, though, so still not ideal. I did just get up to High Partition, so at least the traditional Stabbing Of Every Relative Who Inherited My poo poo to start off each new reign can mostly be put to bed now. That's not nothing.

As a Catholic, is there any way to get to pick my own archbishops while remaining Catholic? It's obnoxious, but not enough for me to feel the need to go full Martin Luther and schism the whole loving religion over it or anything.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

As a Catholic, is there any way to get to pick my own archbishops while remaining Catholic? It's obnoxious, but not enough for me to feel the need to go full Martin Luther and schism the whole loving religion over it or anything.

Best case scenario for replacing your court chaplain as a Catholic is finding an imprisonment reason, since you can then banish them and take their gold. Sometimes they’re holding a few thousand of it.
Otherwise you can eat the tyranny and imprison them for no reason.

Either way, the position will be auto-filled after imprisonment. So no there is no way to put your theocracy vassal in the role like you could in CK2. This game desperately needs a Sons of Abraham update.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This game desperately needs a Sons of Abraham update.
Oh, definitely. It still needs a lot of stuff, but Royal Court put a major spark into the game that vanilla CK3 was missing and the stuff it added is so much better than how CK2 did it, so if they can do another expansion on that level for religion, I'm happy to wait.

I do like using the Pope as a piggy bank, though. Also the most recent Crusade for Jerusalem actually went well somehow; with the armies defending it defeated in the field the entire holy land resembled nothing so much as a particularly murderous frat party as a bunch of disorganized Christians rampaged around, burning cities at random, which was so historically accuate it made me laugh. Also the Pope decided I was his best helper, so I got 900 gold and now my brother is the King of Jerusalem. My Renown rate has gone through the roof!

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 26, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the "crown of many dynasties" thing isn't just an achievement, it's actually a very firm smack over the head to tell the player "this is how you're supposed to be playing, idiot". I actually hit maxed out dynasty levels in very short time on my last run where I intentionally kept a lot of family neighbors around, was shocking to see how fast the renown piles in.

---

Going back to the "I'm bored with my empire thing", I'm thinking of doing a run that leans very heavily into a weird gimmick of religion/tradition synergies (No, not inbreeding). Something like "party animals, party all day every day for piety", or maybe even something grossly suboptimal like doing an Intrigue dynasty with a supporting religion? I've also not really played with Arabic nor Indian stuff, so I'm very keen for cool suggestions please!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Arabic I mostly found to be similar to Europe except you have clans and more wives.

India I liked because there are a lot of religions to pick from, and lots of cultures too. Getting Chakravarti is something to achieve for beyond getting one empire too. Plus war elephants are nice.

I feel like I cheat on the dynasty of many crowns by getting a massive empire, and then just granting independence once I have enough dynasty members holding kingdoms. I have to do it all at once because they tend to lose their kingdoms too quickly otherwise.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I like having relatives around to give land to when I'm over my limit and courtier-bait daughters, though, so still not ideal. I did just get up to High Partition, so at least the traditional Stabbing Of Every Relative Who Inherited My poo poo to start off each new reign can mostly be put to bed now. That's not nothing.

That's what matrilineally married daughters are for.

Catholic/Orthodox Bishops suck, stabbing until you get a good one is the only reliable way I've found.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

(Although there is a bug with the tradition that allows you to create republics-- it makes republics with confederate partition, which will stay in the family.)

:frogon:

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I was able to create an empire in my current run, uniting the Kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. At this point I assume it's good to hand out two of the kingdom titles to my non-heir sons and shuffle around vassals?

Also, anything I should watch out for or bake in to the reformation when I reform Astaru to be an organized religion?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

No, they are for fixing my horrible lovely council by luring in dudes who actually know what the gently caress they're doing with offers of hot and cold running princesses.

Also are all the inheritable traits as finnicky as Quick/Intelligent/Genius? Like, should I give up on trying to breed intelligence into my ruling line at every generation until I can get them reliably pretty and strong? I've taken the first two dynasty traits for strong genetics.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
Are there any mods to encourage pagan conversions (to reformed faiths)? Looking at hacking together a Scythian migratory megacampaign once WTWSMS drops but wondering what can be done to encourage pagan conversion/feudalization.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Samadhi posted:

I was able to create an empire in my current run, uniting the Kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, and Norway. At this point I assume it's good to hand out two of the kingdom titles to my non-heir sons and shuffle around vassals?

Is not, unfortunately. I love giving out kingdom titles but that seriously hurts your income. Unless you are already swimming in money, better keep only duke vassals

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm always cautious about giving out kingdom titles early on in partition because it can screw up your succession. If you have say three kingdoms, and three kids, then each kid is getting a kingdom, but I think your main heir then gets most of your individual holdings, which is what really matters. If you start giving away kingdoms, then those holdings start getting split up amongst your kids. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there, partition always screws me up a little.

Definitely try to hold kingdom titles as long as possible. I usually only start giving them away when I'm over my vassal limit.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Catholic/Orthodox Bishops suck, stabbing until you get a good one is the only reliable way I've found.

Indeed, rid yourself of those turbulent priests.

CapnAndy posted:

No, they are for fixing my horrible lovely council by luring in dudes who actually know what the gently caress they're doing with offers of hot and cold running princesses.

You don't need to use daughters for this. Any female courtier will do, and most unlanded people will agree to matrilineal. It's actually pretty broken.

quote:

Also are all the inheritable traits as finnicky as Quick/Intelligent/Genius? Like, should I give up on trying to breed intelligence into my ruling line at every generation until I can get them reliably pretty and strong? I've taken the first two dynasty traits for strong genetics.

With the two blood traits going you'll end up with superhuman dynasty members in a few generations without putting in much effort.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I'm always cautious about giving out kingdom titles early on in partition because it can screw up your succession. If you have say three kingdoms, and three kids, then each kid is getting a kingdom, but I think your main heir then gets most of your individual holdings, which is what really matters. If you start giving away kingdoms, then those holdings start getting split up amongst your kids. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong there, partition always screws me up a little.

Definitely try to hold kingdom titles as long as possible. I usually only start giving them away when I'm over my vassal limit.

I only have Duchy-level vassals now, so no more counties to give away, sad!

Mainly it seems that I have a lot of unlanded kids, so I guess the next step is conquering more Duchys and giving those to them? Or conquer Duchys and counties and give the counties away? I am eyeing Wessex so I need to know what in that area to keep, and want to give away.

Partition blows.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, after putting it off for 2 years, I finally bit the bullet

Edit: Also, did they do something to the Muslim rulers? My last 70 years were basically grinding down the Abbasids who had taken a fair bit of the Ethiopia/Somalia area, and even with having way less land in their empire than me or the Byzantines, they pulled more troops than both. (Not that it mattered with stacked MAA, was just curious)
And, after Egypt broke off, they really had no internal wars at all for around 200+ years.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 27, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Any tricky ways with hooks or lifestyle perks or really anything to get a bite at a Kingdom-level title in a single war? England is shockingly weak right now and I want it, but the Pope won't let me invade because I'm already King of Ireland and something something being greedy, shut up stupid Pope, as soon as I'm Emperor of Albia I'm making my own faith and its tenets are I Can Do What I Want.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Buy Claim from the middle learning tree lets you claim a duchy per shot, for the low low price of 500 piety. You can pick you claim, so basically take their capital and watch the dogs squabble over what's left.

Funny reddit post on the topic.

There's a lot of other stuff, but might involve radically changing your religion or cultures. Buy Claim is most of the way up the tree, but remember you can just hit the rest button and respec that into the health tree afterwards.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Any tricky ways with hooks or lifestyle perks or really anything to get a bite at a Kingdom-level title in a single war? England is shockingly weak right now and I want it, but the Pope won't let me invade because I'm already King of Ireland and something something being greedy, shut up stupid Pope, as soon as I'm Emperor of Albia I'm making my own faith and its tenets are I Can Do What I Want.

If you get a strong hook on the pope you can force a claim. Fabricate hook a couple times and eventually you'll get it, or get lucky with blackmail
Other options are govt/culture/faith dependent

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

While stabbing them will cycle, you should also periodically imprison and banish, as this allows you to pocket the large sums of money theocratic realm priests tend to accumulate.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Serephina posted:

Buy Claim from the middle learning tree lets you claim a duchy per shot, for the low low price of 500 piety. You can pick you claim, so basically take their capital and watch the dogs squabble over what's left.

scaterry posted:

If you get a strong hook on the pope you can force a claim. Fabricate hook a couple times and eventually you'll get it, or get lucky with blackmail
Other options are govt/culture/faith dependent
These are both good, thank you. I take the middle learning tree on literally all my rulers because Pedagogy is extremely loving powerful and if you build it out, you also get all your councilors giving you 20% of their relevant stat. It's my absolute go-to.

PittTheElder posted:

While stabbing them will cycle, you should also periodically imprison and banish, as this allows you to pocket the large sums of money theocratic realm priests tend to accumulate.
This is also good, but unfortunately, my current guy is Just. I can not go around being a merciless dick to people without having a mental break. Never making that mistake again, and thank Extremely Catholic Jesus he inherited under High Partition laws, because dude would have cut his own throat before murdering enough toddlers to get the realm back together.

e: one more question -- am I reading how Court Language works correctly? If the game shows me that High German is +11 grandeur as a court language, I get 11 grandeur added to my court even if neither I, nor any of my courtiers, nor any of my subjects, speaks High German?

I'm not gonna do it because I have decided I'm gonna by-God make gaelic the most prestigious language to speak, but I feel like I'm misunderstanding something, because it can't be that easy.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2022

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Even with the Buy Claim learning tenet, you won't be able to buy a kingdom claim if you're already a king. But if you're only a duke or count and have 1000 piety to spare, it'll work.

CapnAndy posted:

e: one more question -- am I reading how Court Language works correctly? If the game shows me that High German is +11 grandeur as a court language, I get 11 grandeur added to my court even if neither I, nor any of my courtiers, nor any of my subjects, speaks High German?

That is correct. In my Bosnia game I switched my court language to Greek for a while since it was like +10 more grandeur than my native language (like +11 vs. +1). Maybe 100 years later or so I checked back in and saw that Serbo-Croatian was giving like +2.5, and Greek had gone down to around +2, so I switched back to my culture's native language. I can't seem to find any tooltips on those calculations though. I'd guess it has something to do with comparative cultural realm size.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Broken Cog posted:

Well, after putting it off for 2 years, I finally bit the bullet

Haha this was way easier when Demand Conversion instantly converted their counties if they accepted.

Are there any mods that make combat less annoying? Eg, suppress/automatically answer events (sometimes I am getting events every second when I'm just trying to siege down their capital and I literally could not care less about some nobody Baron having a bastard child).

Also, one annoying thing about the Struggle is that every single person is offering to help in my war for ~100 gold and each one pauses the game. I am having no issue but perhaps because I've only raised MAA, the AI is thinking I'm at a disadvantage in terms of numbers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do vassals use the "Increase development in county" councilor task at all?

PancakeTransmission posted:

Haha this was way easier when Demand Conversion instantly converted their counties if they accepted.

I imagine, though converting them wasn't really the biggest issue, just meant I had to spend another 10-20 years after conquering the last region.
What was more annoying was that I forgot to change my faith from pluralist when reforming.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I got the "win the iberian struggle aggressively" achievement and it's only 0.7% even though essentially it's just "conquer Iberia". Man.

Also they really need to loving sort the AI out. It's been too long now where kingdoms/empires are mega unstable and I really blame the partition laws. This doesn't apply to the Byzantines who are always fine but if I start in the earliest start date the likelyhood of ANY other AI empires existing other than the byzantines by say 1200 is super mega low. I had a Francia once, I think - and even then only because I helped them out.
It feels like this started whenever it was that they fixed the "sweden/gardariki conquers the world" problem early days of the game

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Taear posted:

I got the "win the iberian struggle aggressively" achievement and it's only 0.7% even though essentially it's just "conquer Iberia". Man.

It also requires that your entire home kingdom be of your culture and faith. The usual meta is to not try to spread culture so as to stack development and get technology more quickly. So going for the conquest runs against most player's instincts by this point.