Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I need a new seatpost clamps for three CAAD12 frames. The Cannondale part KP397 is listed as having an inner diameter of 28.0mm. I cannot for the life of me find anything other than the $40 OEM part that will work.

Amazon as expected is no help, as everything is mislabeled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You could try a 28.6 clamp, that's a somewhat common size.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Wifi Toilet posted:

Oops, thought I posted this in the other thread where I posted about building a mid life crisis bike. Honestly I’m just gonna be riding it around the neighborhood when I get home from work maybe 20 to 30 minutes, no specific purpose.

Between those two brands (and any 'track' frame out in that price range) and for your use case, there is little-to-no difference in how the thing will ride. Buy the one with the paint job you like most.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you had the choice between two functionally identical (but differently colored) 105 LH brifters would you go for the one that has a hosed up looking lever but is mechanically perfect, or would you go for the great looking one that has a missing section of plastic shield so the mechanism is theoretically slightly exposed when you brake or shift (this bike won't be used in the rain).

The levers unfortunately don't interchange despite looking the same from the outside.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slavvy posted:

If you had the choice between two functionally identical (but differently colored) 105 LH brifters would you go for the one that has a hosed up looking lever but is mechanically perfect, or would you go for the great looking one that has a missing section of plastic shield so the mechanism is theoretically slightly exposed when you brake or shift (this bike won't be used in the rain).

The levers unfortunately don't interchange despite looking the same from the outside.

Is the missing cover the little removable cap that some of the shifters had or is it like actually broken off? Either way I'd probably go with that one and if it's a replaceable part deal with that whenever

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a little plastic cover to the rear of the lever that covers the ratcheting mechanism, it might be replaceable but would involve dismantling the part you shouldn't dismantle. I don't think it was ever close to weatherproof, it's more a cosmetic thing.

I think I'll run the good looking but broken one.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

Oops, thought I posted this in the other thread where I posted about building a mid life crisis bike. Honestly I’m just gonna be riding it around the neighborhood when I get home from work maybe 20 to 30 minutes, no specific purpose.

Both can run brakes, which you should.
Only the State has bottle bosses, fwiw.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

jamal posted:

You could try a 28.6 clamp, that's a somewhat common size.
And if that is a little big, you can always use these:

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

CopperHound posted:

And if that is a little big, you can always use these:

Yeah. 28.6 was too big. Amazing how 0.6mm made such a difference. The clamp closed upon itself well before it began to bind on the seat post.

We keep the recycling in the garage, in an area just off in my peripheral vision from my bike workspace. Believe me, the high quality shims seem to creep into my vision all the time. But these are for bikes I rent out to people, so I like to keep them as neat as possible. I'll probably bite the $120 bullet for the 3 OEM clamps.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Yeah. 28.6 was too big. Amazing how 0.6mm made such a difference. The clamp closed upon itself well before it began to bind on the seat post.

We keep the recycling in the garage, in an area just off in my peripheral vision from my bike workspace. Believe me, the high quality shims seem to creep into my vision all the time. But these are for bikes I rent out to people, so I like to keep them as neat as possible. I'll probably bite the $120 bullet for the 3 OEM clamps.

0.6mm on the diameter becomes 1.9mm on the minor circumference. There's a good reason they're made in 0.2mm increments.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

SimonSays posted:

0.6mm on the diameter becomes 1.9mm on the minor circumference. There's a good reason they're made in 0.2mm increments.

I know. I did the math too. I am a huge geek.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
anyone got a recommendation for bar tape that my friends won't destroy? For some reason whenever I lend out my gravel bike people just end up shredding the bar tape on that thing and I have no idea what they're doing

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Get your friends to stop flipping the bike over to get the wheels off, or chucking the bike down like a ten-year-old who got called in to dinner? Otherwise there's no destruction-proof tape, just get the 10$ stuff and you'll get quick at wrapping.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

what the poster above said, but regardless if your bar tape is getting put through the ringer, doing this will help it stay intact a bit longer (timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzIiv7pewE&t=723s

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have mates who destroy the stuff too and I really don't know how. The fizik soft touch stuff I've got on mine I've had for over 2 years and whilst it's worn in places it's still basically fine

I guess I've got a fairly light touch on the bars? Maybe some people properly grip them. Or have acidic sweat

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

I have mates who destroy the stuff too and I really don't know how. The fizik soft touch stuff I've got on mine I've had for over 2 years and whilst it's worn in places it's still basically fine

I guess I've got a fairly light touch on the bars? Maybe some people properly grip them. Or have acidic sweat

If you ride that bike a lot it’s going to be insanely gross under that tape after 2 years

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I guess that also depends on if you wear gloves and climate too

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I think it's a combination of very sweaty hands gripping the handlebars that's messing it up. I wear gloves generally, so I've never had the tape get all that wet except one time when I was stuck in a rainstorm for a few hours and then riding on the soggy bartape the rest of the day.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

You could try some of the bar tape that's a nylon ribbon with a foam backing.

Camp and Go Slow is a little expensive but Instagram will think your bikes are super cool

https://www.campandgoslow.com/product/camp-and-go-slow-rattlesnake-bartape

https://www.campandgoslow.com/product/eastern-rattler-bar-tape

And PDW has some fun designs for a little less money

https://ridepdw.com/collections/grips-and-bells/products/pdw-wraps-with-silicone-grip?variant=36879238267048

Blue Lug also has some fun ones including "vintage camera strap", but shipping from Japan is nuts. If you search around you might be able to find somebody domestically carrying them

https://global.bluelug.com/bl-select-btp-bartape-digi-rank.html

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 28, 2022

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Can confirm, the PDW tape is tough.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i ordered some PU, EVA, and traditional cork material tape after using cork my entire life to do a Pepsi Challenge as part of a dub-con overhaul of my commuter

i am EXCITED about 21st Century bar tape technology

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

After using tape with a silicone backer instead of adhesive I can't understand why they're not all made like that. Trivially easy to wrap, and if it gets grimy you just pull it off and wash it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

After using tape with a silicone backer instead of adhesive I can't understand why they're not all made like that. Trivially easy to wrap, and if it gets grimy you just pull it off and wash it.

Zipp Service Course CX for life

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Is there a rough mileage/hour estimate of how long tape 'should' last the same way we can estimate chain life? Is there a big functional difference between cheap poo poo and fancy stuff?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Is there a rough mileage/hour estimate of how long tape 'should' last the same way we can estimate chain life? Is there a big functional difference between cheap poo poo and fancy stuff?

I've never really worn it out other than crashing on it. I'll usually end up having to redo it because i want to swap bars or redo the cable housing for some reason or whatever. But I've also had way more bikes with flat bars than drop bars so maybe i just don't ride them enough

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, it's just not a "service interval" you plan for.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Depends on a person's body chemistry, too, so it's not possible to really figure out

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
it's relatively cheap so just replace it when you want something new?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm reading this as 'get the zany colored $10 stuff and go hog wild'

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I hope someday I'll have a bike worthy of this

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

After a couple seasons my tape just starts to get a bit dingy and I like to treat myself to nice new tape. It's like buying new socks or underwear.

And about every other time I replace tape I do my cable housing for good measure.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Is there a way to run a SRAM 12 speed chain and chainring with Shimano Hollowtec cranks? BSD mounted aftermarket chainring maybe? I dislike working on the SRAM cranks on my mtb since they need so much more force to take on and off and found the hollowtec cranks really nice that way.

I'm putting together a drivetrain and am stuck using an Eagle 12s rear derailleur and cassette so I can't just run all Shimano. Not the end of the world if I have to stick with RaceFace or SRAM cranks but I'd rather not.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Nyyen posted:

Is there a way to run a SRAM 12 speed chain and chainring with a Shimano Hollowtec cranks? I hate working on my SRAM cranks on my mtb and found the hollowtec cranks really nice that way.

I'm putting together a drivetrain and am stuck using an Eagle 12s rear derailleur and cassette so I can't just run all Shimano. Not the end of the world if I have to stick with RaceFace or SRAM cranks but I'd rather not.

If you do find a way, you'll have invalidated Shimano and SRAM's business models, so let us know.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

SimonSays posted:

If you do find a way, you'll have invalidated Shimano and SRAM's business models, so let us know.

Well it looks like the drop-stop A profile chainrings from Wolftooth will work for SRAM eagle chains and the have versions for Shimano cranks so that might do it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nyyen posted:

Is there a way to run a SRAM 12 speed chain and chainring with Shimano Hollowtec cranks? BSD mounted aftermarket chainring maybe? I dislike working on the SRAM cranks on my mtb since they need so much more force to take on and off and found the hollowtec cranks really nice that way.

Garbaruk has options as well

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nyyen posted:

The only weird SRAM chain is the flat top SRAM road, the 12sp MTB SRAM chain is fine with anything and vise versa.

My MTB has a generic off brand cassette with GX AXS RD and a Saint crank with a wolf tooth chainring and KMC X12 chain, it’s fine.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Is it possible to convert a 142mm thru axle hub to a 145mm qr bike? I have been given a pair of gravel wheels and would like to try a gravel ride on a tandem.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Possible? Yes.
Worth the effort? Maybe? Probably not. Disc rotor spacing or dish will get kinda fucky.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Seems like machining a little insert to go inside each hub end and create a QR end would be achievable, esp for someone of mikemelbrooks' inclination. And then a dicier adapter to space out the rotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Do you mean 145mm as the total length of the axle or lock nut to lock nut? Qr hubs are measured nut to nut. I'm p sure a 145mm long qr axle is for a standard 135 (nut to nut) qr hub and unless theres a conversion kit for the hub it's gonna be real dicey to bodge it even with a precision machined part.

If it's actually 145 nut to nut what bike is it?