Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've had a dilemma with my French press over the years, which has resulted in me often switching to (gasp).... canned coffee.

In short, I am following the standard French press instructions to brew freshly ground up coffee beans for four minutes. The problem is.... no matter what coffee I try - I have tried perhaps twenty varieties throughout the years - my coffee gives me a nice pick-me-up for an hour or less, then I just plummet. Whereas with canned coffee or other caffeine sources, my energy tends to last much much longer.

I have never been able to figure out what the deal is. This is partly my fault because I kept repeating the same thing. I always thought it was the coffee until I finally said enough is enough. Perhaps I am the overcaffeinated type and I just need to brew the drat coffee longer? Maybe I should try an additional minute or two? Perhaps I am not grinding up the coffee enough - is it the more ground up, the stronger, or the opposite?

People are suggesting there is more caffeine in your canned beverages but I think it is much more likely they actually have less. Coffee beans are expensive compared to the other things that go into canned coffee and manufacturers don't want to put too many in each can if they can avoid it. Most cans are probably around 100mg of caffeine or less, while a (small) cup of french press, depending on strength, beans, and the phase of the moon, could be closer to 150 or so. If you are making a full pot of a liter or so, it would be very difficult to reach that unless you are really slamming back those cans.

How can drinking less caffeine make you feel less tired, you ask? Caffeine's half-life in the body is 4-6 hours so if you drink 4 cups in the morning, you will still have the equivalent of a full cup circulating up to 18 hours later, two hours after you should have gone to bed, loving up your sleep. The next morning you perceive this as your coffee giving you a pick-me-up that doesn't last, but really it's just sleep debt. (The other reason your coffee isn't wearing off in under an hour is that caffeine takes 45 minutes after you've drunk it to even take effect. Any pick-me-up you feel prior to that is just psychological.)

404notfound posted:

I'm getting annoyed at how inconsistent my espresso is, despite trying to keep things as consistent as possible. I used the exact same amount of beans and the exact same grind setting. I'm using a spring-loaded tamper so the tamping pressure should be pretty consistent, and I've got a WDT device (with looped wire ends instead of needle tips). I dialed in a perfect shot on my semi-automatic Bambino Plus, then pulled another one using that programmed time, but I noticed the flow was much more constricted. I ended up with 26g instead of 34g, and it tasted extremely sour.

Why would the flow have changed so dramatically from one shot to the next in the span of about five minutes? If I had just manually pulled the second shot and aimed for the same weight (i.e., running it longer to compensate for the flow), would I have had a more consistent taste?

I'd ditch the looped wire WDT tool, the loops tend to drag big channels through the bed rather than distribute evenly. IMO the 3d-printed needle ones are best. Other than that, what grinder are you using, and how are you dosing? An extra gram in the basket could definitely reduce flow as you observed, which could happen if you are using a timed grinder for dosing, or single-dosing on a grinder with too much retention. Try weighing your portafilter after grinding but before tamping (tare the scale to the empty filter first), to make sure the weight you expect is really what's in there.

Last guess is that the bambino is not holding temp perfectly. I don't know how good breviille's control system is but if the thermoblock is already warm, the second shot might be running hotter that the first. You can try to address this with workflow - flush the grouphead before your first shot and see if that makes a difference. If it does, do that consistently and dial in with it in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

https://www.mycuppa.com.au/how-i-solved-my-irritating-coffee-channelling-problem

https://youtu.be/aMLViitLPFY

Reading again, I highly suspect your first short channeled. Channeling can also be caused by grinding too finely.

Loosen your grind a bit and see.

Thanks, I'm not up for more espresso today (one of the drawbacks of a caffeine-infused hobby), but I'll play around with it more tomorrow :cheers:

hypnophant posted:

I'd ditch the looped wire WDT tool, the loops tend to drag big channels through the bed rather than distribute evenly. IMO the 3d-printed needle ones are best. Other than that, what grinder are you using, and how are you dosing? An extra gram in the basket could definitely reduce flow as you observed, which could happen if you are using a timed grinder for dosing, or single-dosing on a grinder with too much retention. Try weighing your portafilter after grinding but before tamping (tare the scale to the empty filter first), to make sure the weight you expect is really what's in there.

Last guess is that the bambino is not holding temp perfectly. I don't know how good breviille's control system is but if the thermoblock is already warm, the second shot might be running hotter that the first. You can try to address this with workflow - flush the grouphead before your first shot and see if that makes a difference. If it does, do that consistently and dial in with it in mind.

I'm using a hand grinder so I manually weigh the beans before grinding, but I actually haven't been weighing what goes into the portafilter—good catch. As for the temperature, I'm not sure how good the machine is either, but I usually run it once after I turn it on, thinking it might help to keep the temperature consistent from the first shot. And I've also heard elsewhere that maybe the loop WDTs aren't so good, so this is probably a good point to switch over

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I recently started wdt as a practice

It really gives an insane peace of mind to distribution for the price

I just bought some thin craft wire and taped it to a cork

Amazing

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

There's an excellent deal on Amazon right now for Technivorm Moccamaster 10-cup machines.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09NMXBN8N?tag=wcpdblog2022-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=pd22bgzz40823&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

So many great colors to choose from too

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

bizwank posted:

midnight blue looks great in person, got one for my mom and she loves it

except she is doing this insanely annoying (which she got from her sister) thing where she puts cinnamon on the coffee bed so I have to get up before her to make sure my coffee isn't gross

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bizwank posted:

I wish there was a dark green.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sweeper posted:

midnight blue looks great in person, got one for my mom and she loves it

except she is doing this insanely annoying (which she got from her sister) thing where she puts cinnamon on the coffee bed so I have to get up before her to make sure my coffee isn't gross

sever

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

nwin posted:

Works good for me. The only pain is since the basket is so deep I hit my fingers on the side of the hot basket to get the disc out sometimes, so that sucks.

I don’t think I ever thanked you for this suggestion. I’ve been using it a couple of months and it works great.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dren posted:

I don’t think I ever thanked you for this suggestion. I’ve been using it a couple of months and it works great.

:hfive:

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

What's the current consensus on the cheapest I can go for a decent single dose electric burr grinder? Currently I use a Kinu M47 which is lovely, but I have chronic pain and on bad pain days I'm skipping coffee, which is not lovely.

I drink medium to dark roasts, usually with milk, so I am not trying to get a light roast moonshot espresso. Just something that I can dial in decently.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
sounds like you’re in a good position to wait for a deal on a refurbished baratza encore

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

sounds like you’re in a good position to wait for a deal on a refurbished baratza encore

With the encore ESP coming out, you may see a bunch of encores on the secondary market. Plus maybe good sales.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

Nice, thanks!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Just sharing some nice striping I got today.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Idlewild_ posted:

What's the current consensus on the cheapest I can go for a decent single dose electric burr grinder? Currently I use a Kinu M47 which is lovely, but I have chronic pain and on bad pain days I'm skipping coffee, which is not lovely.

I drink medium to dark roasts, usually with milk, so I am not trying to get a light roast moonshot espresso. Just something that I can dial in decently.

If you wanted to splurge, another option would be the Fellow Ode. I think the stock burrs would be fine if you’re mostly drinking medium or dark roasts, and it’s upgradable down the line if you care at all.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

If I am enjoying my baratza encore and stove top moka pot (along with a variety of beans), how would I determine if I am missing out on anything (a better grinder or a fancy espresso machine)?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Find a friend with one or both to try. Barring that, find a coffee shop who will talk shop with you - grind you beans, pull you a shot, whatever. Try to compare same beans in both your current method and the new, to get an apples to apples comparison.

You also didn't mention pour over, which is very popular and a much much smaller investment. Not as concentrated of course but if you just want to branch out in general it's something new!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

And I can trust a shop staffed by college bros to pour a good shot?

My "morning cup" is the full output of a 6-cup moka pot, and I worry that the lower strength of a pour over will disappoint me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

If I am enjoying my baratza encore and stove top moka pot (along with a variety of beans), how would I determine if I am missing out on anything (a better grinder or a fancy espresso machine)?

Moka pot is not espresso. It’s more concentrated than drip or whatever but it’s entirely different.

If you’re not entirely sure what you like, going to a good coffee shop and trying the same bean or a smilie bean a bunch of different ways (espresso, pour over, etc) is a good way to get an idea of what your after.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

My "morning cup" is the full output of a 6-cup moka pot, and I worry that the lower strength of a pour over will disappoint me.

You want a place that has that that looks like you walked into Brooklyn or Portland usually.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Moka pot is not espresso.

I know.

You want a place that has that that looks like you walked into Brooklyn or Portland usually.

I've never been to either place, so please elaborate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

theHUNGERian posted:

I know.

I've never been to either place, so please elaborate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

mes posted:

If you wanted to splurge, another option would be the Fellow Ode. I think the stock burrs would be fine if you’re mostly drinking medium or dark roasts, and it’s upgradable down the line if you care at all.

The Ode is so pretty, industrial design wise. I will have to ponder budget, but that is another great option to think about, thanks.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

theHUNGERian posted:

Anywhere with brown denim or leather aprons should do.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Ive had good experiences at places that have large Kyoto tower setups and list various pourovers by market price on chalkboards

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

this is tragically very unreliable since the brooklyn/portland aesthetic is, not by happenstance, cheap to emulate

theHUNGERian posted:

The main advantage to fancy espresso machines is an easier workflow and a bit better (though by no means perfect) consistency. A decent or linea mini can do a handful of things that a gaggia classic can't, but none of those make the coffee magically better. They're just more flexible and easier to use. A grinder upgrade isn't exactly the same because bigger better burrs can bring out a bit more clarity and flavor, but also honestly a premium grinder is quieter and makes less of a mess

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Idlewild_ posted:

Can you chuck a power drill to the M47? Because that would be the cheapest way to go

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I swear COVID killed the pour over. I haven’t seen one on a menu in ages. At least people have figured out how to dial in batch brewers.

Every time I see this it gets better.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

This is incredible. Truly magically.

You are looking for place that would unironically make this video.

Leather aprons are also a good giveaway, as is having the employees all dudes like above and one alt girl. Pour over on the menu is also a good sign.

For less jokey advice, if you can find a local shop that is also a roaster, they tend to have exactly what your looking for as long as they have a coffee bar where they serve espresso. More so if the roasting clearly happens in the same building.

Sextro posted:

I swear COVID killed the pour over. I haven’t seen one on a menu in ages. At least people have figured out how to dial in batch brewers.

Every time I see this it gets better.

I've seen it on some menus in NYC and NJ. It's been coming back.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I have two local roasters whose stuff I want to inject straight into my veins.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

How often do you all find yourself tasting the flavors coffees are advertised with?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How often do you all find yourself tasting the flavors coffees are advertised with?

Depends on the roaster and how ridiculous the notes are.

Sometimes I genuinely get the tasting notes, but usually they’re more of a direction.

https://youtu.be/kEZZCQTSSAg

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Every time I drink I aim for the darkness and avoid the light spots

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

not often, drinking mostly espresso, but berries/stone fruits/tropical fruits is pretty evocative of what i can expect out of a cup even if i don’t quite expect that to be an actual strawberry. Although i have gotten actual strawberries sometimes, when the stars align.

a good Hoffmann cupping tip was to try to do some side-by-side tastings even if it’s just against, like, instant or supermarket coffee. Really helps bring out the things you didn’t notice without something to compare to

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It was my 5th different bean and maybe my 50th shot I ever pulled when I went "whoa, juicy mango"

Like it's not actually a mango flavor but it rhymes on the tongue

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I find the cup of coffee with really clear flavour notes to be elusive and rare, but when the stars align and you taste a coffee with the notes it says it has on the bag it's like wooooooah

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

theHUNGERian posted:

I feel like if you're actually consistently enjoying your moka pot coffee you should just accept that you've won and give the rest of us a chance to catch up

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like if you're actually consistently enjoying your moka pot coffee you should just accept that you've won and give the rest of us a chance to catch up

*jitters in espresso*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I pretty reliably taste generic "fruit" flavor with, like, natural process Ethiopians where they're super fruit-forward but that's as far as I usually get