Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah keep in mind the greatest work of magic is the creation of the silmarils. Another one is the creation of the elven ropes and cloaks gifted to the fellowship. Magic shows up far more as a way to create something like weapons or tools that subsequently do magic things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah keep in mind the greatest work of magic is the creation of the silmarils. Another one is the creation of the elven ropes and cloaks gifted to the fellowship. Magic shows up far more as a way to create something like weapons or tools that subsequently do magic things.

or "magic" in the Arthur C Clarke way. Remember, Feanor is a skilled smith, not a magician.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I've always taken the "magic" of elves and any non-ainur beings in the lens of Clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

TipTow posted:

I've always taken the "magic" of elves and any non-ainur beings in the lens of Clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

thats the baseline, but then you do have poo poo like when feanor died his spirit burned his body, or the magic gandalf and the balrog use when casting wards on the door in Moria. elves certainly seem to be more in tune with that portion of the world and that may be influencing their abilities in craft or manifest as being capable of extreme acts of valor

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fellowship of the Ring posted:

With water from the stream Galadriel filled the basin to the brim, and breathed on it, and when the water was still again she spoke. 'Here is the Mirror of Galadriel,' she said. 'I have brought you here so that you may look in it, if you will.'....

'What shall we look for, and what shall we see?' asked Frodo, filled with awe.

'Many things I can command the Mirror to reveal,' she answered, 'and to some I can show what they desire to see. But the Mirror will also show things unbidden, and those are often stranger and more profitable than things which we wish to behold. What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannot tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, things that yet may be. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look?'

Frodo did not answer.

'And you?' she said, turning to Sam. 'For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem also to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel. Did you not say that you wished to see Elf-magic?'

'I did,' said Sam, trembling a little between fear and curiosity. 'I'll have a peep, Lady, if you're willing.'

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

Galadriel posted:

"And you?" [Galadriel] said, turning to Sam. "For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe, though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem also to use the same word of the deciets of the Enemy."

edit: ha, beaten

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

thats the baseline, but then you do have poo poo like when feanor died his spirit burned his body, or the magic gandalf and the balrog use when casting wards on the door in Moria. elves certainly seem to be more in tune with that portion of the world and that may be influencing their abilities in craft or manifest as being capable of extreme acts of valor

Ancient elves are mighty in both realms at once, the physical and spiritual, which is why when Frodo is wounded by the wraith blade and the Ringwraiths chase him at the ford he sees Glorfindel glowing like a super saiyan.

"Gandalf and Frodo talking in Rivendell posted:

Here in Rivendell there live still some of [the Dark Lord's] chief foes: the Elven-wise, lords of the Eldar from beyond the furthest seas. They do not fear the Ringwraiths, for those who have dwelt in the Blessed Realm live at once in both worlds, and against both the Seen and the Unseen they have great power.'

'I thought that I saw a white figure that shone and did not grow dim like the others. Was that Glorfindel then?'

'Yes, you saw him for a moment as he is upon the other side: one of the mighty of the Firstborn.'

So I think ancient elves like Glorfindel, Galadriel, etc quite literally are "magical" in the sense that they can use their own spirit to achieve great/magical deeds much like a Maiar might.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I dug was that somebody (Frodo?) asks why they don't include Glorfindel in the Fellowship, since he's so incredibly powerful, and the answer is basically,"Well sure, if you want to light a giant bonfire that is constantly screaming,"HEY SAURON WE'RE OVER HERE!""

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Something I dug was that somebody (Frodo?) asks why they don't include Glorfindel in the Fellowship, since he's so incredibly powerful, and the answer is basically,"Well sure, if you want to light a giant bonfire that is constantly screaming,"HEY SAURON WE'RE OVER HERE!""

Yeah someone points out how strong as he is Glorfindel can't open the way to the fire with the power in him and that their quest can basically be approached with as much hope for the weak as the strong.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

Dwarves are the best since they are just Aule getting bored waiting for the first born and making his own toys.

And then Yavanna created ents because of an argument with Aule.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Also a very neat and not often appreciated facet of Tolkien’s Legendarium is that having “mixed” blood actually enhances your “power” and the nebulous never clearly defined authority you can wield. Galadriel is descended through all three branches of the High Elves. The is explicitly stated to be significant. Elrond is straight up half Elf and half Man and up the line is the descendant of an actual Maiar. And Aragorn is in that exact same line through Elrond’s brother Elros who was the first King of Numenor.

Elrond and his brother could also choose if they wanted to be elf or man.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Frodo saw Glorfindel lit up like a Christmas tree because Frodo was falling into the Unseen World due to the Morgol Blade causing him to turn into a wraith. (the Seen and Unseen worlds are another dimension to the larger metaphysics of the Legendarium) Elves, and the Ainur, exist in both the Seen and Unseen Worlds at all times. And this ties into a more complex discussion on how the Children of Illuvatar have both a Fea (spirit) and Hroa (body) and an Elven Fea is tied directly to Arda while a Man’s Fea is not. But essentially Elves do not fear the Nazgul like Men do because Elves are naturally a part of that Unseen World and can literally see the Nazgul as they are.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't even think this looks bad. It's the tolkien spinoff thing that makes me feel nothing. What's the quenya for "JRR Tolkien's The Avengers"

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Gresh posted:

I've been seeing this image on twitter for well over a week now. Its being pointed out that the scales on that Numenorean lady's armor are painted on a shirt. That does seem a bit obvious, no?

https://twitter.com/0wlGhost/status/1550134845610885120

Holy poo poo that is shameful

Half a billion spent on this and we already have painted armor and the awe-inspiring numenoreans of old wearing loving tunics

We knew the script on this show was gonna suck but at least we thought those amazonbux would ensure the show looks good

:shepicide:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

MLSM posted:

We knew the script on this show was gonna suck

We did? Have you read any leaks anywhere?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

TipTow posted:

We did? Have you read any leaks anywhere?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So were you just redditposting or do you know something practically no one else on Earth knows?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Chud YouTube and Reddit takes aren’t slick. Maybe it’ll be bad. Sure. You don’t know poo poo yet though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

MLSM posted:

Half a billion spent on this and we already have painted armor and the awe-inspiring numenoreans of old wearing loving tunics

We knew the script on this show was gonna suck but at least we thought those amazonbux would ensure the show looks good

i don't like this armor either but one of the things we have to remember is this is a 5 season show and inevitably they will cut corners somewhere. how long will those costumes even be on screen?

as everyone has said, the writing and editing could indeed be dogshit and we all will hate it 15 minutes in. but we don't know that yet. so far they seem to at least know the source material, they seem to give a poo poo, and it could be fun.

https://twitter.com/CruisingCathy/status/1550698231436169217?s=20&t=_WG11wT75pevyURuzNtsDQ

Galadriel's armor on the other hand looks great and detailed.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 28, 2022

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

The problem is that they're adapting a history book and not really a narrative with dialogue in it so they aren't going to have the language of Tolkien like Jackson and co had with the LOTR trilogy. I mean yeah, you got 4 big events in the 2nd age: the forging of the rings of power, the war of the elves and Sauron, the fall of Numenor, and the war of the last alliance...I'd love to see all that on screen, but the huge question is whether or not these showrunners and their writing room will make it all feel "Tolkienian". They could very easily gently caress it all up and make it feel like generic fantasy crap.

Gresh fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 28, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gresh posted:

The problem is that they're adapting a history book and not really a narrative with dialogue in it so they aren't going to have the language of Tolkien like Jackson and co had with the LOTR trilogy. I mean yeah, you got 4 big events in the 2nd age: the forging of the rings of power, the war of the elves and Sauron, the fall of Numenor, and the war of the last alliance...I'd love to see all that on screen, but the huge question is whether or not these showrunners and their writing room will make it all feel "Tolkienian". They could very easily gently caress it all up and make it feel like generic fantasy crap.

indeed, it might suck rear end. we just don't know that yet. I'm extremely guarded in my optimism, mostly because I have a high tolerance for nonsense in adaptations if they also do cool fun stuff, i.e. Shadow of War

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MLSM posted:

It's a tv show. Even with Bezos' bucks they can't forge unique armor for everyone.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Right, the problem is that beyond the broad strokes this will mostly be original writing, and they've yet to prove if they're up to the task. In particular it'll be hard to make the dialogue feel authentic, and the generic lines in the trailers don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gresh posted:

it definitely will be. they got a guy who looks like he plays darts playing ar pharazon and rewrote him as an "advisor". the valinor shots look underwhelming, and the plot will probably be the usual JJ abrams style trash, since he's the guy who recommended the showrunners in the first place

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

MLSM posted:

This is such a who gives a poo poo thing. Surprise pal, more important characters in more important shots have much much better looking costuming and props. Anything not in the direct focus of the scene is not gonna have the same detail because you're a moron to use "Hero" quality props when it's not necessary. The LOTR featurettes talk about having multiple different version of each sword and outfit of different quality depending on what was necessary for the scene being shot.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Are we going to get goth gf shelob or monster spider shelob? This is important.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I want a godzilla spider sucking the juice from a tree

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

YaketySass posted:

Right, the problem is that beyond the broad strokes this will mostly be original writing, and they've yet to prove if they're up to the task. In particular it'll be hard to make the dialogue feel authentic, and the generic lines in the trailers don't inspire a lot of confidence.

That's always a challenge with these things. Game of Thrones had the same issue where a lot of the non GRMM dialogue ended up being trash. They did have some good original bits though, so maybe this will as well.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

Are we going to get goth gf shelob or monster spider shelob? This is important.

stupid sexy shelob is 100% plausible within the lore - see Sauron's time as a giant bat, and shadow of war was cool and good for doing something interesting with the story.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

That's always a challenge with these things. Game of Thrones had the same issue where a lot of the non GRMM dialogue ended up being trash. They did have some good original bits though, so maybe this will as well.
I think the problem is when these things are compressed into TV production timelines. Post-GRRM GoT had the occasional gem but they naturally could not match the consistency of a book written over many years without the distraction of an insane, expensive production.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

it definitely will be. they got a guy who looks like he plays darts playing ar pharazon and rewrote him as an "advisor". the valinor shots look underwhelming, and the plot will probably be the usual JJ abrams style trash, since he's the guy who recommended the showrunners in the first place

Yeah Pharazon doesn't look anything like how I imagined him lol. Heres my quick ideal casting for the show:

Ar-Pharazon - Marton Csokas(Yes I know he was Celeborn in FOTR, don't care because he'd be loving perfect in this role)

Sauron/Annatar - Cillian Murphy

Tar-Miriel- Ana De Armas

Elendil - Oscar Isaac

Isildur - Adam Driver

Elrond - Antony Starr

Galadriel - Anya Taylor-Joy or Emma Stone

Gil-Galad- Tom Hiddleston

Celebrimbor - Sabastian Stan? lol I honestly don't know for this one but these are all off the top of my head.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gresh posted:

Yeah Pharazon doesn't look anything like how I imagined him lol. Heres my quick ideal casting for the show:

Ar-Pharazon - Marton Csokas(Yes I know he was Celeborn in FOTR, don't care because he'd be loving perfect in this role)

Tar-Miriel- Ana De Armas

Elendil - Oscar Isaac

Isildur - Adam Driver

Elrond - Antony Starr

Celebrimbor - Sabastian Stan? lol I honestly don't know for this one but these are all off the top of my head.

klaus kinski as feanor

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Vegetable posted:

I think the problem is when these things are compressed into TV production timelines. Post-GRRM GoT had the occasional gem but they naturally could not match the consistency of a book written over many years without the distraction of an insane, expensive production.

It doesn't help that the GOT guys were hacks that just wanted to move on to their next big project and couldn't give a poo poo anymore. I do believe that if they still had passion for the project the final season would have been better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gresh posted:

Tar-Miriel- Ana De Armas

Elendil - Oscar Isaac

Isildur - Adam Driver

Elrond - Antony Starr

Tell me where is Annatar... for I much desire... to speak with him

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Gresh posted:

Ar-Pharazon - Tim Curry

Sauron/Annatar - Tim Curry

Tar-Miriel- Tim Curry

Elendil - Tim Curry

Isildur - Tim Curry

Elrond - Tim Curry

Galadriel - Tim Curry

Gil-Galad- Tim Curry

Celebrimbor - Tim Curry

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How FORCEFUL you are, Glorfindel. Such a fine specimen of elf-hood.

So… masculine.

You must be awfully proood of him, Janet.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
If they end up doing GoT T&A I hope Elise the Great sues.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

2nd level spells posted:

I want a godzilla spider sucking the juice from a tree

:hfive:

Give me that and I'll give you a chance, multi-billion dollar production :colbert:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
The new GoT show looks much better than this LOTR show tbh. Costumes, casting, cinematography, CGI just looks much more competent.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Also Slim Shady Sauron would be a great username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

MLSM posted:

The new GoT show looks much better than this LOTR show tbh. Costumes, casting, cinematography, CGI just looks much more competent.

lmao