Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
I don't have much to add but when you first see the digestive canals of the monster, it immediately reminded me of corrugated plastic roofing, like for a outdoor shed or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Skooms posted:

I don't have much to add but when you first see the digestive canals of the monster, it immediately reminded me of corrugated plastic roofing, like for a outdoor shed or something.
Regarding this thing from earlier in the film: I didn't realize the direct cognate between Gordy looking at the camera and what I was seeing during the first glimpse of that interior. I'd thought it was some kind of hallway.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Well, that and both OJ and Em were trying to attract it's attention to let the other escape, and OJ finally gives in and lets Em take the lead wrangling her own Jean Jacket, calling back to when their father took that opportunity away from her. The scene was much more of a 'I trust you / you got this' between brother and sister than forcing Jean Jacket to back down.

Yes, this is the narrative function of the scene. I was responding to a post about the in universe behavior of the creature that has been explained as being a wild predator.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So this poster.

oh my god, his hat

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The digestion scene was one of the most unsettling things I've seen in a movie in a long time. It takes a fair amount for a movie to actually disturb me but that moment bordered on traumatizing. I loved it!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The_Doctor posted:

So this poster.

oh my god, his hat

I honest to God thought it was shaped like a hat during the rodeo scene and thought it was going to be some kind of meta commentary on domestication or something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Opopanax posted:

I honest to God thought it was shaped like a hat during the rodeo scene and thought it was going to be some kind of meta commentary on domestication or something

It absolutely is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I had the same surreal realization during the movie; I wanted to elbow someone next to me and ask "it looks like a hat right? right??"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So wait, did Gordy kill EVERYONE in the studio except the kid? There were people in the studio audience that seemed pretty still, not sure if they were just cowering like Jupe or got mauled to death. The parents definitely got killed and the sister got horribly mutilated, but there were a lot of other people there, wouldn't most of them flee?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Panfilo posted:

So wait, did Gordy kill EVERYONE in the studio except the kid? There were people in the studio audience that seemed pretty still, not sure if they were just cowering like Jupe or got mauled to death. The parents definitely got killed and the sister got horribly mutilated, but there were a lot of other people there, wouldn't most of them flee?

I didn't see anyone else; I figured they all ran.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Panfilo posted:

It looks the rampage caused a panicked exit and some people in the studio audience got crushed. They're either unconscious or dead. There's also probably people hiding, like what happened with the dad character and Jupe.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 28, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Panfilo posted:

You can see people in the audience crouched down hiding, and others presumably ran off when it started, but anyone sitting around would wisely sit there quietly so they didn't end up like the dad

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I am honestly wondering how much of Gordy's rampage was filmed. We know that from the bits in the trailer of the cut subplot, Mary Jo's stalker is walking to the studio thru a fleeing crowd on the lot, so who knows how much was actually supposed to be in the film and what POV was it to take? Like, was it supposed to be diagetically thru a camera viewfinder like the bits we see in the film?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

:perfect:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

P-R-A-Y-F-O-R-G-O-R-D-O

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC, Gordy's rampage killed two people and maimed a third, the woman whose lips got bitten off. Everybody else ran and/or hid.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
are the deaths the two parents? I think that'd account for all the actors in the scene?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The lady having the maimed face was sad, but what's really stuck with me is that she had on a sweatshirt (in the desert) that had a picture of her younger self on it. Jesus, that just really hit me as so loving tragic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The lady having the maimed face was sad, but what's really stuck with me is that she had on a sweatshirt (in the desert) that had a picture of her younger self on it. Jesus, that just really hit me as so loving tragic.

How about the fact that Jupe had his employees uniforms the exact same pattern as Gordy's sweater? :stonk:

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
As someone who is terrified of grey aliens, the kids in alien costumes scene spooked me pretty good, but my relief was palpable once I figured out Jean Jacket isn't a spaceship, it's actually a loving cloud vore-monster. I think I was grinning maniacally for the rest of the movie's run. God I loved this film.

My interpretation of Jean Jacket's origins, like someone else mentioned, was that it IS extraterrestrial, most likely from a gas giant based on the anatomy we see, and quite possibly from Jupiter. I realize Steven Yuen's character's nickname is Jupe, but having Jean Jacket terrorizing a patch of land called 'Jupiter's Claim' makes it a lot funnier if Jean Jacket is, in fact, from Jupiter. That seems like a Jordan Peele thing to do, doesn't it??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Gordy's Home video is kinda lol for a few reasons. That it looks like a corny, gimmicky 80s sitcom despite being 90s at least is... probably the point. All the expense, effort, risk and ultimately tragedy going into what was already a dated disposable piece of mostly forgotten pop culture detritus kinda underscores the point of the treatment of animals in showbiz being such a mess. Also, the particular theme song for the intro... You're A Strange Animal indeed.

Jack B Nimble posted:

are the deaths the two parents? I think that'd account for all the actors in the scene?

I'm not sure it's stated, but that seems very likely, given they'd be the closest to him when he went on his rampage. ...also the extra tragedy and irony that Jean Jacket finished what Gordy started in wiping out the show's entire main cast.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Loved this movie, hot drat. Was I the only one convinced for like, half of the movie that JJ drew people up via Magneto powers affecting metal or the iron in blood or something? I thought for sure that was why the shoe stood up, why the electronics died, and why it was only metal falling back down until I realized I was just inventing something out of thin air

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Mercury Hat posted:

I thought for sure that was why the shoe stood up
Same, I thought we would eventually find the Gordy incident was caused by Jean Jacket or equivalent hovering around outside, but what we got (the thematic connection of the two events, and through Jupe) was better.

A Scary Little Dog posted:

having Jean Jacket terrorizing a patch of land called 'Jupiter's Claim' makes it a lot funnier if Jean Jacket is, in fact, from Jupiter
I'm not usually prone to overanalyzing movies but I really think Jupiter's Claim is such a perfect name in so many ways
  • The classic old west "Jupe has claimed this part of the frontier for himself"
  • Jupe's "claim to fame" (and the reason people might visit) is his being a child star in the 90s
  • Jupe is claiming existence of extraterrestrials in his show
  • An alien from Jupiter (?) is coming to claim all your poo poo

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I was thinking more about Jean Jackets physiology. Based on the way it moves its "body" is incredibly thin and light. For as big as it looks I bet it has very little actual mass.

I'm guessing it's tissue has some chimeric properties, able to transform into flight, disguise, or digestive tissue as needed. While it gets low to the ground, it never touches the ground and I'm betting it can't afford to risk getting snagged or pinned underneath something. I think it moves by emitting some kind of energy, probably related to the emp effect. Since it's so light, this allows it to move very fast and very quietly. It also has enough reserve strength to keep itself aloft after eating 40 people and a bunch of assorted junk. It obviously can't digest inorganic matter and whatever physical process involved in digestion isn't destructive enough to break the fake horse or mobility scooter. It's also surprisingly fragile, since the parade balloon apparently killed it when it popped? Those things only need to be under enough pressure to stay rigid so it can't be that much force.

Why the UFO shape? Could be out of practicality, the flattened shape might be well suited for quickly moving around, or it needs that shape to effectively "eat" as it seems to form a little tornado in the process of sucking up meals. Disguising itself as a cloud and hunting at night suggest it normally gets preyed on by something else. It apparently has good enough "vision" to find its way around and is somehow aware when things are looking at it (which suggests it's used to creatures with a pair of round eyes).

Unfurling itself into that massive form could be some kind of threat display. The float is the only flying thing that JJ interacted with. If it was really scared it would just zip away but it got close and investigated it. Something about fluttery material freaks it out (no idea if this was association of the fake horse it choked on, or some instinctive behavior since the creature itself can do fluttery gestures). So maybe it associates it as some territorial display or warning. Or maybe it was just horny and tried to hump the balloon.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are there any other movies where the unidentified object is a whole alien?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

live with fruit posted:

Not exactly the same but living ships have shown up in a lot of stuff. Lexx, Farscape and Mass Effect come to mind

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Just got out of the movie for a second time. In regards to holst: he absolutely does not take the film with him, not only is it not visible on his person when he runs off but there’s a reversed shot into the blind when he’s talking to Angel where you can see the film cassette still docked in the IMAX camera. Given that right before running off he says “it’ll be magic soon,” ie magic hour (period during the day when the angle of sunlight makes photography really pop,) he’s not trying to ruin the shoot, he’s trying to get one more perfect shot. That being said: jean jacket almost certainly destroyed the big camera seconds later, so the point is moot anyway

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think I get the idea with Holst now, maybe it was obvious and took me a bit but It's part of the subversion Peele is going for with the cameras as guns thing. Holst is the great white hunter character, the legend sitting in his jungle hut surrounded by his trophies.
He goes down shooting because that's what that character does, it's his last stand.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
No chance the film in the hand held camera would still be viable after it fell from Jean Jacket?

I realize probably not because film is vulnerable to so many things. But also horror movie logic dictates it would be just fine.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

TheBizzness posted:

No chance the film in the hand held camera would still be viable after it fell from Jean Jacket?

I realize probably not because film is vulnerable to so many things. But also horror movie logic dictates it would be just fine.

The film itself might be prone to damage easily, but the canisters they're in are not. They are big and heavy. Like, incredibly durable. They were meant to handle shipments all over the place in all kinds of conditions, so it's possible everything survived just fine.

It's kind of a moot point though. I thought the ending made it pretty clear that the cat was out of the bag about JJ, whether it was just from the one photo, multiple film reels, or the news scrum just outside Jupiter's Claim. Emerald wasn't just smiling because OJ was ok; she was also prepping herself for the news cameras. She got the picture she wanted, and if the reels survived would only reinforce the proof of JJ's existence. Despite going through Hell to get it, the addiction to fame means people would gladly do it all over again. It's a never-ending churn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The poster before saying about how the arrival of the flash and fancy news cameraman being when the Men in Black would usually arrive in a movie actually had about the same point. That's the point where the secret IS going to come out, people are aware that some weird poo poo is going down at Jupiter's Claim, and it's only a matter of time now until the authorities- and the media big names- are aware of the people-eating UFO.

From there, motivations get an interesting mix of altruistic and selfish- they know more about Jean Jacket now than anyone else still alive, and are the only people in the position to do anything about it before there's further loss of life- and also in the position to actually document the creature and be primary sources for it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Opopanax posted:

I think I get the idea with Holst now, maybe it was obvious and took me a bit but It's part of the subversion Peele is going for with the cameras as guns thing. Holst is the great white hunter character, the legend sitting in his jungle hut surrounded by his trophies.
He goes down shooting because that's what that character does, it's his last stand.

Hes Quint.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Godzilla 2000

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Yeah Holst is representative of the ultimate hollowness of the fame that Em is seeking - he flat out tells her "That dream you have? Of getting to the top of the mountain? It's the one that I can never wake from." He's an acclaimed, award-winning cinematographer who's filming a green screen commercial for an aging country star/actress because there are no more mountains for him to climb, he's reached the top of his field and there's nothing there and no way back down.

At the ranch he realizes in that moment that even if he achieves the impossible shot, it will just leave him stuck on an even higher peak, and decides to go out at the top.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TheBizzness posted:

We see the portion of the film from the handheld camera that survived diegetically

One of my thoughts about their plan was that if they all got killed by Jean Jacket or had to retreat again, at least the film would have survived

Axel Serenity posted:

The film itself might be prone to damage easily, but the canisters they're in are not. They are big and heavy. Like, incredibly durable. They were meant to handle shipments all over the place in all kinds of conditions, so it's possible everything survived just fine.

It's kind of a moot point though. I thought the ending made it pretty clear that the cat was out of the bag about JJ, whether it was just from the one photo, multiple film reels, or the news scrum just outside Jupiter's Claim. Emerald wasn't just smiling because OJ was ok; she was also prepping herself for the news cameras. She got the picture she wanted, and if the reels survived would only reinforce the proof of JJ's existence. Despite going through Hell to get it, the addiction to fame means people would gladly do it all over again. It's a never-ending churn.

That's exactly how I took it as well, that twenty years from now Emerald and OJ are going to be in the same boat as Jupiter, just riding off the fame of capturing on film and beating Jean Jacket. They'll probably buy Jupiter's Claim and turn it into O.J. Corral or something.

Also, whatever footage they captured of JJ on the cameras was just JJ in saucer mode and not the full spectacle of the presentation

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Yeah half the population probably wouldn’t even believe it was the same creature.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Depends on how much remains of it and gets studied, I'd bet. Heh, imagine the mass hysteria.

The more thought on it, the more likely that Jean Jacket is indeed an extraterrestrial creature. A lot of its behaviour is like, it's clearly not at all adapted to modern Earth, and given its death is by something that could easily have happened by accident, if they were at all common I think people would have noticed, especially with the EMP field. Now it is possible that it's indeed a living fossil that hatched or awakened long after humanity became a thing, but still unlikely. Its behaviour does seem to suggest it has social instincts for interacting with similar creatures and its own species, they aren't super-solitary. Maybe its fully grown forms are capable of space travel, and one came from Jupiter and deposited offspring on Earth. Maybe some aliens left a pet/pest/specimen behind. I do feel it really drives home the story for it to be an animal absolutely out of its natural habitat- like Gordy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Something else I was contemplating-we all have a good laugh at idea of poor Freckles thinking of ants and dying. Horses are scared of dumb things from a human perspective; someone arbitrarily standing behind them? Their own reflection? Part of the training they do for horses for many purposes is to desensitize them from these benign things.

But then take the antagonist of the film itself. A big flying thing. Except that humans are pretty used to big flying things. But this one is just wrong. It sounds wrong, it moves wrong, it's there and then it's not. Jean Jacket ended up being incredibly fragile, easy to bait, easy to scare off. But it's appearance, it's sounds, and it's behavior is terrifying. Now the vast majority of the time you can avoid getting attacked by such a creature by simply staying indoors-while it can vacuum up some materials it's fragile structure means it's the equivalent of us licking up broken glass to get at a chicken tendy.

Humans are interesting in how they process fear compared to most other animals. Given our capacity to learn it is the unknown that is scary and understanding the unknown can help make sense of things. I mean think about it - Once Jean Jacket's existence is discovered by humanity at large, that species is hosed. A whole new generation of Jupes will be leading hunting expeditions to blast these things out of the sky. It won't be scary, it will be a novelty like Jupe always wanted Jean Jacket to be. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also, I think most people were thinking about the movie title and the cliche about how underprivileged (black people, typically) protagonists tend to be more wary in movies. It can feel good to have a character look at something mysterious or scary and just go, "Nope." and don't touch the pulsating alien egg/mysterious artifact/screaming ghost/etc. And then get a safe distance. Get Out played on this too-white people are dangerous, white people that are way too friendly are definitely dangerous.

I was half expecting the movie to be about a horror movie that happens in the background, like OJ sees Jean Jacket for the first time, decides, "Nope" and the whole rest of the movie is about how his decision is vindicated as stupid and overly credulous white people get gobbled up by a hungry ufo monster.

There was also the gag where OJ sees the "aliens" and his reaction to seeing an alien suspending from the ceiling is to punch it in the head. This is a throwback to a hugely popular funny home video during Halloween where a guy in a scarecrow costume is startling trick or treaters, but when he startles this black guy the black guy just instinctively decks him before realizing it was a prank. While some of the humor in this can be racist, assuming that's the only response a black person will think to do in that situation, there's lots of poc audiences that laughed pretty hard at the circumstances too, perhaps relating to the fact that the black guy simply couldn't risk it simply being "just a prank" and reacted with violence due to being more likely to have to defend against an actual physical ambush.