Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jordan Peele's new flick is out, it's about a family of ranchers and ufos. Looks really interesting, hope yall enjoy it, I'll have to catch it on vod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I read some good commentary that basically frames the whole movie about everything needing to be filmed at all times from some people to feel like they own it.

I get how the chimp plays into the plot itself, but can't really think of much symbolism besides that at this point.

The alien I thought was really cool and expectation subverting. Everyone assumes it's a ship with Greys, you get a creepy scene with Greys that is subverted...and then the alien "ship" isn't really a ship, but instead some giant crazy alien animal that makes no sense at all to us in how it actually works. And then alien "abductions" are just this giant vore creature floating around areas, sucking people up into it and horrifically digesting them while they're constantly screaming. Pretty unique and nicely subversive!

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 23, 2022

Segue
May 23, 2007

I really really loved this movie. It felt tighter than US and also more comfortable in providing meditative rather than argumentative layering of its themes.

The overall theme of capturing something on camera rather than shooting it with a weapon was a really funny subversion that I think captures a lot of the film's wit and updating nostalgia of 60s-90s energy. Even at the end where destroying the creature is combined almost as an afterthought with capturing a photo. The importance of being seen by those you love off camera as well as on. This combines with the subtle racial recognition simmering throughout.

Then the meditations on fame and the dangers of cinema, seeking to capture the world always creating fraught with danger and inauthentic, from the chimp to TMZ to the cinematographer's nature doc of tigers and snakes wrestling. All that with the classic movie about making movies that is there but not annoyingly so It's not necessarily arguing a point, moreso a winking, dark reminder of what lies behind.

There is a reverence for the natural world that humanity is always seeking to tame with the ultimate barrier that exists between understanding people and chimps/horses/alien bioships and doubling that mystery and awe of the spectacle. And you could sneak in a whole bunch of climate change and human predator symbolism.

The movie feels like a spectacle blockbuster with callbacks to Spielberg and Shyamalan, but for once all the winking metaness didn't get on my nerves. It all feels relaxed and fun in the way of a shaggy story that's still wrapped tightly round.

I'm interested in what people thought of the third act which I've seen described as the film's failing. I thought it was a bit unsubtle but actively focuses on that primary film capture goal and ways of being seen, hyperfocus of modern society on that and overall it just creates a beautifully tense spectacle as the alien unfurls completely. I loved it and everyone else seems to hate it. Ah well.

edit: and that's just the themes. The incredible acting (Kaluuya is perfect) fun directorial choice, great sound design, it just feels so solid.

Segue fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 22, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

First act I didn't like at first because the sisters character just bothered me, and the brother was so passive. By the 3rd, everyone evened out and it went heavy and strong on the themes and I enjoyed it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The monkey scene was flawlessly captured. It was one of the most unsettling things I have seen in a movie and the screaming from the people the monster sucked up was also unsettling

I love love love this movie

Also I have seen online people say this is not a horror movie but based on what I wrote above it is absolutely a horror movie in my book.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Really loved this movie, though all the scenes involving the crowd getting eaten and screaming as their trapped inside the "ship", only to eventually be crushed/digested is going to be nightmare fuel for me for a very long time. Also agreed that the chimpanzee flashback was one of the most intense moments of the movie. I feel so bad for the actress character who manged to survive that only to be killed off in yet another "animal performance" gone wrong.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I couldn't put my finger on my the ending felt so familiar to me, then I suddenly realized: hero on a horse, giant flying creature, holy poo poo it's a live action version of Shadow of the Colossus!

I think Nope could be read as a man vs. nature movie, and the ways in which humans use narratives and documentation as a way of dealing with trauma that comes from powerful forces that are largely indifferent to the pain they cause us.

Both the chimpanzee and the alien cause massive amounts of suffering to the humans around them, but they don't do so out of any sort of malice or because it's part of a larger plan. They're just animals who did animal things, they're not even aware they've done something wrong. From the chimps perspective he just got spooked by some balloons and had a little tantrum, then he calmed down and went to get a fist bump. The alien is just a big jellyfish flying around looking for snackies and occasionally pooping out the parts of the snackies it can't digest. It's all so impersonal and meaningless, and humans can't handle that kind of chaos. Thus, they need to capture it and turn it into something they can properly understand and process.

Taking a picture of something or getting it on film turns something wild into something you have control over. Or at least it gives you the illusion of control, and even that illusion is something humans are desperate for as a way to feel purpose and give meaning to their pain.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Segue posted:

I'm interested in what people thought of the third act which I've seen described as the film's failing. I thought it was a bit unsubtle but actively focuses on that primary film capture goal and ways of being seen, hyperfocus of modern society on that and overall it just creates a beautifully tense spectacle as the alien unfurls completely. I loved it and everyone else seems to hate it. Ah well.

The third act is good but it feels like there's five minutes missing to set it up. Peele did a good job of calling back to the cinematographer (no pun intended) earlier on but then he just kind of shows up. But then I also think Peele did a poor job of working Angel as well but that happens early on enough that it doesn't ultimately matter much. I really liked it btw. I guess that just makes the little parts where it didn't quite work more frustrating.

The callback to the beginning when Gordy looks at the camera and we find out he's actually looking at Jupe was very unsettling. And the way Peele used jump scares to add tension before the first big attack was really well done.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really loved the idea of Jupe’s moment with the chimp, being able to tame the beast, and trying it again with Jean Jacket and welp whoops. He didn’t respect or understand it

You can’t tame nature to be our spectacle. There’s just so much too it.

I also like how bc OJ never looked anyone in the eye due to him raising horses and that comes back later and he realizes that’s how it gets you. It wants you do look at it. To see it.

Then it eats ya.

Also also lol

One eyed one horned flying purple people eater

Great flick

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I loved the slow devolution of the cameras until it was just a gear turned flashbulb single shot photo machine

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.
This movie ruled. The entire Gordy sequence was one of the scariest things I've seen in ages and then in just segues into the NEXT scariest scene I've seen in years Like holy poo poo, just killed it.

I feel like there's so much to talk about with this movie but I don't have it in me to write a novel. All four of our main characters are great in this one. I can't stop thinking about Steven Yuen's character. The way it was able to make the night time scenes look was masterful, the way it lets low light and colors pop even in the dark.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Absolutely incredible!!!

That was a theater experience for the books, I havent seen a crowd that genuinely freaked out in a looooong time.

Our theater went from typical horror movie crowd getting jump scared and cracking jokes to quiet pure dread once they showed the digestion.

This was like a really cool combo of Skinwalker ranch type ufo phenomenon + Fire the Sky horrible gross alien abduction + some Predator.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just got back, and drat, that was an amazing film.

The scene with the ‘greys’ in the stable was so unsettling. There was something so inhuman in the way they moved and their shape, it made me shiver just to look at them. Nice Communion nod as one peered around the corner post.

I’m fairly sure Gordy was CGI, which had the effect of being really loving deep in the uncanny valley.

The scene of the people trapped inside the UAP was some full on nightmare fuel. That’s going to stay with me for a while. :stare:

Also shoutout to Em’s Akira bike slide. :toot:

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I’m fairly sure Gordy was CGI, which had the effect of being really loving deep in the uncanny valley.

Played by the same guy who played Kong in Skull Island. And a chimp in the Planet movies.

Segue
May 23, 2007

I also love with Gordy them using CGI. Which gets the shot Peele wants but also feels very deliberate about not using animals that are closer up the sentience chain from horses. Not even for farther shots of Gordy.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
What a great movie. I’m still having just random thoughts about it as I’m waking up:

My theater showed a trailer for a Labor Day release of Jaws remastered, which was insanely appropriate for Nope given the Spielberg influences, right down to how Em kills Jean Jacket.

The feeling I got when my understanding of the crowd’s fate went from “abduction” to “digestion” and the blood started running down the house was the most unsettled I’ve been at a movie since Midsommar, which was awesome.

Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer knocked it out of the park. I love how they’re Oliver Senior’s personality literally divided into both of his kids. OJ is the technical expert, devoted to the horses, the farm, and has a fantastic understanding of animals in general, while Em is the gregarious showman with the eye for business. Things can only work when they both work together.

And on that note, I’m kind of wondering how people can interpret Em as “hallucinating” OJ in that last shot. Given that it’s a pretty clear Jaws homage, we already had the death of the Quint stand-in with Holst and Hooper/Angel nearly died but made it by the skin of his teeth. I’m just gonna assume that Em and OJ are both playing Brody, he’s clearly alive and leave it at that.

EDIT: And of all the things I expected to come out of this movie, I did NOT figure that it was going to be a treatise on the use of animals in film.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 23, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm still digesting this movie. There's a lot going on in it. I think there's something said about the cruel nature of fame with Jupe's entire career being thanks not to starring in Kid Sheriff movie but being the only survivor of the Gordy incident, even though it's almost forgotten for obvious reasons. Yes, Mary Joe also survived, but the movie does make the claim that things only really exist if it's on film, and MJ is no longer photogenic. Jupiter has become one of those famous people who you don't really know why they're famous, their fame has become self-sustaining. The bit where he needs to remind Emerald what SNL stands for before recounting the sketch as if it's his own memory, which itself is a whole other thing.

Supposedly, Jupiter was supposed to be Jesse Plemons, but I feel like Steven Yeun works much better because a '90s minority child actor having a career into adulthood is pretty difficult without having some sort of huge moment. Em's comment about "whatever happened to the black kid, 3D?" made me feel that Jupiter wasn't even the star of that movie, he was basically the character Ke Huy Quan would play in his childhood career.

Early in the film, after the first encounter, OJ makes a comment about "What is a bad miracle?" and Gordy is clearly that for Jupiter. And it makes me wonder if the Heywoods would eventually become something like him once they get their "Oprah shot".

fake edit: as I was collecting my thoughts about this, there's an interview with Steven Yeun in which he literally says this, including his collaboration with Peele on making Jupe a side character on Kid Sheriff instead of the lead (as Peele intended) and even bringing up Ke Huy Quan.

Everyone is calling the monster "Jean Jacket" after the horse Otis Sr. and OJ had a hard time breaking, but the scene in Angel's apartment with the fantasy game/movie voice over made me start calling it the Dragon, only to be reinforced when it moves from the flying saucer/tailless flying manta ray to its final form and unfolds into this massive beast. Maybe "Jean Jacket" is a living fossil of the creatures we created the whole dragon mythology around, an massive aerial predator that could swallow whole villages? Also, speaking of which, Peele showing us almost the entire process of digestion with the creature, from ingestion; to crushed and dissolved in a flying balloon house Sarlacc Pit; to being piss-shitted out onto the Heywood's ranch house, the only things largely remaining being pocket change and keys, made things particularly horrific.

The encounter with the biker from TMZ is such a loop thrower. Like, he's this mysterious figure like maybe he's from the government or something, then Angel recognizing who he represents and it puts an emphasis in how much time is left for the Heywoods et al to grab that bag (alternately, I also called the monster "the Bag"). According to the credits, the biker has the name of Ryder Muybridge, which plays into Eadweard Muybridge dialogue of the Heywoods being the descendants of the uncredited jockey in the first moving picture.

ElectricSheep posted:

What a great movie. I’m still having just random thoughts about it as I’m waking up:

My theater showed a trailer for a Labor Day release of Jaws remastered, which was insanely appropriate for Nope given the Spielberg influences, right down to how Em kills Jean Jacket.

I have to give kudos to Peele because the movie begins and ends with Jupiter and a popping balloon

ElectricSheep posted:

Daniel Kaluuya and Keke Palmer knocked it out of the park. I love how they’re Oliver Senior’s personality literally divided into both of his kids. OJ is the technical expert, devoted to the horses, the farm, and has a fantastic understanding of animals in general, while Em is the gregarious showman with the eye for business. Things can only work when they both work together.

It's pretty evident when she's rewatching the old show reel tape with Otis Sr.'s voiceover and it's her entire spiel verbatim she says at the safety meeting. She memorized every line

ElectricSheep posted:

And on that note, I’m kind of wondering how people can interpret Em as “hallucinating” OJ in that last shot. Given that it’s a pretty clear Jaws homage, we already had the death of the Quint stand-in with Holst and Hooper/Angel nearly died but made it by the skin of his teeth. I’m just gonna assume that Em and OJ are both playing Brody, he’s clearly alive and leave it at that.

Maybe it's left ambiguous but I think it's weaker if OJ dies, largely because his arc in the later half of the film is taming it. When he realizes it's an animal and that Jupe didn't train it properly, he recontextualizes the Dragon as a wild, flying, weirdly-shaped "horse", renames it "Jean Jacket" and comes up with the course to break it, just like any other horse. The bit with him facing it down is the final stage and Jean Jacket is not trying to eat him but do a threat presentation, show it's fangs so to speak. It also fits in similarly to Jupe and Gordy with the fist bump during the full rampage flashback, we're it attacks anyone it hasn't been regularly trained with. It's mentioned in Jupe's dialogue that there were multiple chimps that played Gordy, so the Gordy who went wild because he was the chimp trained for exploding fist bumps with Jupe, not for crowd scenes.

Also, Lucky is aptly-named and we see the horse survive the stage show attack.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 23, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm actually gunna go see this today! Looking forward to it a lot.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Young Freud posted:

I'm still digesting this movie.
every time people phrase it like this it's gonna trigger me a little bit

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

every time people phrase it like this it's gonna trigger me a little bit

I had a thought to change it to "processing" a bit but NAAAAAWWWW this IS the Something Awful forums :unsmigghh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Young Freud posted:

It's pretty evident when she's rewatching the old show reel tape with Otis Sr.'s voiceover and it's her entire spiel verbatim she says at the safety meeting. She memorized every line

It's kind of funny how that explains why she forgot one of the "great"s when talking about the jockey.

I feel really bad for all the people who got eaten just because they went to a show at a chintzy theme park. Especially since it was very much not a good death with all the screaming.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope more like Vore

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of funny how that explains why she forgot one of the "great"s when talking about the jockey.

No, I do mean she memorized every word from that opening because Otis Sr. says "great great grandfather" because Otis Sr. himself would be four generations removed from the jockey. OJ added the "great", because the business is now five generations removed. It also reflects that Emerald has been completely isolated from family business that she doesn't even realize that as a change.

BTW, I ended up rewatching the trailers to confirm Em's dialogue and noticed that these shots are not in the finish film...

The last one maybe something involving Otis Sr. or a testament from OJ or something but the first and second ones are intriguing because who is this man? He sort of looks Asian, maybe Jupe's father? An animal wrangler that blows Gordy's brains out?.

CelticPredator posted:

Nope more like Vore

This is most likely going to be put into one of those Photoshop Phridays or something explaining what the movie is really about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m glad peele addressed the uap thing

I’m never gonna call ufos uaps

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Young Freud posted:

The last one maybe something involving Otis Sr. or a testament from OJ or something but the first and second ones are intriguing because who is this man? He sort of looks Asian, maybe Jupe's father? An animal wrangler that blows Gordy's brains out?.

Those first two shots are from a cut subplot about a crazed superfan of the Gordy show who is also implied to be a pedophile after Mary Jo, he happens to show up on set with a gun the same day as Gordy's attack and is the one who shoots Gordy dead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Darko posted:

First act I didn't like at first because the sisters character just bothered me, and the brother was so passive. By the 3rd, everyone evened out and it went heavy and strong on the themes and I enjoyed it.

She's one of the more annoying movie characters I can remember.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
hell yeah. this is probably the best live-action Evangelion movie we're ever gonna get

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s a fun brick joke when OJ mentions to Ricky about maybe buying some of the horses back again, and Ricky pauses before saying something like ‘we’ll talk about it later.’ Then later on you realise why OJ isn’t getting those horses back.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Saw it last night, loved it. I’m really glad I went in knowing as little as possible. Here’s a good article about the movie (big spoilers, obviously):

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-07-23/nope-movie-jordan-peele-gordys-home-chimpanzee-shoe-clues-explained

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mcmagic posted:

She's one of the more annoying movie characters I can remember.

Yeah, I generally hate characters that exist just to destroy other characters with no self reflection and create plot problems. But she improved.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Those first two shots are from a cut subplot about a crazed superfan of the Gordy show who is also implied to be a pedophile after Mary Jo, he happens to show up on set with a gun the same day as Gordy's attack and is the one who shoots Gordy dead.

Yeah, for those who don't know Peele confirmed his assembly cut was over an hour longer than this one

I wouldn't have been against more of this but as is it's perfect imo. Rewatching this in three hours with a friend, but my immediate thought is it may be my fav of his?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Peele is goat

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It was such a great film to see in a packed theater too because the audience reacting to the horse stable alien scene was amazing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Ahhh...I can see why it was probably cut but I am hoping that, after seeing what is left of Mary Jo, he kills himself just for maximum fuckedupness for Jupe. Feels like a stalker attacking the set on the same day as Gordy rampaging is a bit much, but then again, it's such a weird occurrence that it fits with Mary Jo's shoe standing up.

Otherwise, it feels very obvious that Gordy is killed by cops or studio security or maybe the handlers.

Speaking of the rampage, anyone notice the guy in the upper right of the audience section. He looks dead or unconscious but I can't see Gordy getting all the way up there to kill him. I'm guessing he's a victim of the audience evacuating, getting crushed in a stampede.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

Nope more like Vore

When I saw the killing method I absolutely thought of your love of greys and your hatred of Rampage and it made me laugh, which means I spent too much time reading this site.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nope was amazing. Peele's funniest movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

MacheteZombie posted:

Nope was amazing. Peele's funniest movie

It really was a genuinely funny movie and peoples reactions to situations were realistic. The title of the film makes total sense once you've seen the movie.

I thought it was more funny than it was scary.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LesterGroans posted:

When I saw the killing method I absolutely thought of your love of greys and your hatred of Rampage and it made me laugh, which means I spent too much time reading this site.

It was an incredible combo hahaa.

Didn’t bother me as much as the former thing though. Go figure!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Did they show Jean Jacket's unfurling? It felt like one second it was the floating eyeball and the next it had all the big sails out. Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

live with fruit posted:

Did they show Jean Jacket's unfurling? It felt like one second it was the floating eyeball and the next it had all the big sails out. Did I miss something?

I think I remember it sucking something up and getting damaged and floppy and parachutey before it opened up

and yeah what's up with the shoe