Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
So I’ve owned a Aeron for about four years now. I’ve had a good experience but lately after a couple of hours the seat rim really starts bothering my thighs. I can usually resolve the issue if I sit in a very specific way but I’m growing tired of trying to stay fixed in the "perfect position" in order for this chair not to bother me.

How are the Embody, Gesture, and Leap in this regard? I’m mostly interested in the Embody because I’m used to the breathability of the Aeron mesh and from long distant memory foam chairs like the Leap tend to get hot for me. But maybe this isn’t the case with the Leap. I dunno, you tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

xgalaxy posted:

So I’ve owned a Aeron for about four years now. I’ve had a good experience but lately after a couple of hours the seat rim really starts bothering my thighs. I can usually resolve the issue if I sit in a very specific way but I’m growing tired of trying to stay fixed in the "perfect position" in order for this chair not to bother me.

How are the Embody, Gesture, and Leap in this regard? I’m mostly interested in the Embody because I’m used to the breathability of the Aeron mesh and from long distant memory foam chairs like the Leap tend to get hot for me. But maybe this isn’t the case with the Leap. I dunno, you tell me.

My recollection of sitting on both a Leap and a Gesture - with the Leap, I strongly desired a sit/stand desk so I could stand up and cool off a bit. With the Gesture, it came with a sit/stand desk and I would use it pretty frequently at work.

That being said, is the Aeron at the office or at home? If at home, would you consider tossing a footrest or even an entire ottoman under your desk to put your feet up and take pressure off your thighs?

For what it's worth, I sat on an Aeron for a few months and ended up migrating to a Cosm, and am Big Ottoman Life crew.

Another thought, if you really want another full-mesh chair - I think the Mirra, Celle, and Cosm all have less-aggressive seat pans than the Aeron, all while still being full-mesh. That being said, I'm not sure that there is anything on the market with a more-aggressive seat pan rim than the Aeron. :v:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Zarin posted:

My recollection of sitting on both a Leap and a Gesture - with the Leap, I strongly desired a sit/stand desk so I could stand up and cool off a bit. With the Gesture, it came with a sit/stand desk and I would use it pretty frequently at work.

That being said, is the Aeron at the office or at home? If at home, would you consider tossing a footrest or even an entire ottoman under your desk to put your feet up and take pressure off your thighs?

For what it's worth, I sat on an Aeron for a few months and ended up migrating to a Cosm, and am Big Ottoman Life crew.

Another thought, if you really want another full-mesh chair - I think the Mirra, Celle, and Cosm all have less-aggressive seat pans than the Aeron, all while still being full-mesh. That being said, I'm not sure that there is anything on the market with a more-aggressive seat pan rim than the Aeron. :v:

What do you mean by "big ottoman life crew"? You mean that you use an ottoman under your desk somehow?
Yea, I have the Aeron at home. I have one at work too but I haven’t sat in that one since the pandemic and I don’t own that one anyway.
I also have a sit/stand desk so I suppose if I got a non mesh I could use the heat as a cue to stand for awhile.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 24, 2022

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

xgalaxy posted:

What do you mean by "big ottoman life crew"? You mean that you use an ottoman under your desk somehow?
Yea, I have the Aeron at home. I have one at work too but I haven’t sat in that one since the pandemic and I don’t own that one anyway.
I also have a sit/stand desk so I suppose if I got a non mesh I could use the heat as a cue to stand for awhile.

Yeah, I have a full-on ottoman under both my WFH and personal computer desk. I specifically searched around for something that was exactly the same height as my seat pan so that I could stretch my legs straight out and have them fully supported whenever I felt like putting my feet up (which is all the time)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I recently switched to a very large double pedestal office desk - one of those gigantic utilitarian MDF monsters from the 70s. It's got a big overhang on the bottom that is just absolutely inexplicable, it's like a two foot deep shelf attached to the back of the desk. I can't fit an ottoman under there, but I had a whole bunch of scrap plush carpet remnants left over from redoing carpeting so I just went in there and stapled some carpet down to fit. Makes a great foot rest and my cats love it too

After getting a steelcase leap pretty recently for close to nothing at a thrift store, lightning has most unfairly struck twice and I found a Herman Miller Setu stool for $35. It's definitely not as "Good" of a chair and the height is impractical for my current setup but I feel this:

quote:

The Leap is really not fun to sit in during the second half of the day because it gets so dang hot in my office in the summer, it's routinely over 100 degrees for most of july/august in my state and while Leap has got a lot of great ergonomic support it's not the best for staying cool

I might move my Leap into my gaming room, and reconfigure my desk to be a static standing arrangement; then I can just keep the Setu around when I want to sit while working. At it's minimum height my knees are currently level with the top of my desk and at it's maximum height I could probably comfortably mount my keyboard and monitors on the ceiling

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 26, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

xgalaxy posted:

the embody doesn’t have the lip, obviously, and you can adjust the seat depth to you liking

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TenementFunster posted:

the embody doesn’t have the lip, obviously, and you can adjust the seat depth to you liking

It literally rolls up and is dope as gently caress

I giggled when I realized that the seat actually rolls up

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I just love how absolutely huge the embody seat can get when fully extended. I can sit cross legged and I'm a 6'3 man.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tehinternet posted:

I giggled when I realized that the seat actually rolls up
it’s so excessive yet so essential. i don’t know how i lived without a retractable rear end pad.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I just love how absolutely huge the embody seat can get when fully extended. I can sit cross legged and I'm a 6'3 man.
i’m the same height and i have the butt rolled all the way up. you’ll pay $1500 for the seat, but all you need is the edge!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Literally same and having my feet flat on the ground without stretching my legs out owns

TenementFunster posted:

it’s so excessive yet so essential. i don’t know how i lived without a retractable rear end pad.

i’m the same height and i have the butt rolled all the way up. you’ll pay $1500 for the seat, but all you need is the edge!

your post had me

on the edge of my seat

E: I’m gonna try it rolled up and see if it encourages me to sit with my back pressed against the lumbar support more for better posture and poo poo — I’m not sure how people get/need the additional lumbar support option. What it comes with is p solid imo

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 29, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I have a full-on ottoman under both my WFH and personal computer desk. I specifically searched around for something that was exactly the same height as my seat pan so that I could stretch my legs straight out and have them fully supported whenever I felt like putting my feet up (which is all the time)

My 2012 setup.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats an interesting keycap layout. gently caress pull out keyboard trays for all eternity though

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
An office furniture showroom near me is now a Herman Miller dealer. They are supposed to be getting their show models in next month so I might finally bite the bullet and pull the trigger on an embody after I try it out.
Will be a good upgrade from my Gen 1 aeron I've been rocking for half a decade.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

Thats an interesting keycap layout. gently caress pull out keyboard trays for all eternity though

i never pull out, friend

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm setting up a home office and I'm tired of using thrift store or office store blue light special chairs at home, so I'm looking for something a little better and willing to drop some money on it, but not a ton. I don't WFH and the home office is basically just so I have a room with a door where I can write in my free time, so I'd say I'll spend max 1-2 hours in there on weekdays and maybe a little longer on weekend days. I have a pseudo-office job but I'm up and moving around every 15-20 minutes or so (and I'm fidgety as hell so the same is true at home) so I actually don't have any real back problems, but with my current chair at home my back does get sore after about 20 minutes of sitting in it, probably because it's basically an old pillow on wheels.

At work, I have some sort of Tempur-pedic something chair that I inherited from the guy before me, and it actually seems to work pretty well for me, it's comfortable for longer periods of sitting (though I'm probably never seated for more than about an hour at a time) and has lasted at least 5 years. I think it's this thing: https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP9000-Polyester-Computer-and-Desk-Office-Chair-Black-TP9000-BLK/product_324021

I'm willing to spend a bit more on a chair than that for at home, but honestly not the prices of a lot of the recommended chairs in the OP. I'm shooting for somewhere in the $300-500 range ideally. What would be good in that range, given that I'm not using it 8 hours a day? FWIW I'm 6'1" and overweight but I've been steadily (and slowly) losing weight over the last year and a half, so that is a consideration.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm setting up a home office and I'm tired of using thrift store or office store blue light special chairs at home, so I'm looking for something a little better and willing to drop some money on it, but not a ton. I don't WFH and the home office is basically just so I have a room with a door where I can write in my free time, so I'd say I'll spend max 1-2 hours in there on weekdays and maybe a little longer on weekend days. I have a pseudo-office job but I'm up and moving around every 15-20 minutes or so (and I'm fidgety as hell so the same is true at home) so I actually don't have any real back problems, but with my current chair at home my back does get sore after about 20 minutes of sitting in it, probably because it's basically an old pillow on wheels.

At work, I have some sort of Tempur-pedic something chair that I inherited from the guy before me, and it actually seems to work pretty well for me, it's comfortable for longer periods of sitting (though I'm probably never seated for more than about an hour at a time) and has lasted at least 5 years. I think it's this thing: https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP9000-Polyester-Computer-and-Desk-Office-Chair-Black-TP9000-BLK/product_324021

I'm willing to spend a bit more on a chair than that for at home, but honestly not the prices of a lot of the recommended chairs in the OP. I'm shooting for somewhere in the $300-500 range ideally. What would be good in that range, given that I'm not using it 8 hours a day? FWIW I'm 6'1" and overweight but I've been steadily (and slowly) losing weight over the last year and a half, so that is a consideration.

Used Aeron?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tehinternet posted:

I’m gonna try it rolled up and see if it encourages me to sit with my back pressed against the lumbar support more for better posture and poo poo — I’m not sure how people get/need the additional lumbar support option. What it comes with is p solid imo
that was why i tried it, and it improved my posture immediately. took a week or so to the used to it, but drat if i didn’t work

i didn’t even know there was an additional lumbar support option. the best combo for me was cranking the lumbar+recline tension almost all the way up, and bringing the seat+arms in. once you get em dialed in, an embody pays dividends for posture and overall back heath. never not worth it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Did you all get used or new Embodies? Thing is like $2000+. I gotta visit some stores soon and see if I want to upgrade from my used Aeron, maybe I can sell it on FB for around what I paid.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the only person who is gonna be farting in my chair is me

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Inner Light posted:

Did you all get used or new Embodies? Thing is like $2000+. I gotta visit some stores soon and see if I want to upgrade from my used Aeron, maybe I can sell it on FB for around what I paid.

Two things I never cheap out on: my office / gaming chairs and my bed mattress.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

xgalaxy posted:

Two things I never cheap out on: my office / gaming chairs and my bed mattress.

Y'know, I'm in the market for a new mattress. Got an recs? I realize it's not thread-adjacent so maybe PM me or something idk.

Inner Light posted:

Haven't priced things lately but I'd think you could probably get it for about 3 digits or so if you have an authorized dealer nearby and can maybe swing either a corporate discount or some sort of WFH discount. In my experience, the MSRP price is more of a B2B pricing number (that is to say, made up in the land of fairy tales) and then is negotiated down from there.

Edit: That being said, I got my chair (Cosm, not Embody) new because I wanted the full warranty. Considering that I've sat in some chairs that were older than me and were still good because they were built solidly, I'm hoping that with a half-assed amount of care and maintenance, this is the last chair I'll ever need to buy.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Inner Light posted:

I’m a work from home IT nerd who doesn’t spend a ton of money, so it made sense for me. All it took was thinking about some of the back pain patient I dealt with when I was a pharmacy tech and yeah. Hard pass.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Zarin posted:

Y'know, I'm in the market for a new mattress. Got an recs? I realize it's not thread-adjacent so maybe PM me or something idk.

Haven't priced things lately but I'd think you could probably get it for about 3 digits or so if you have an authorized dealer nearby and can maybe swing either a corporate discount or some sort of WFH discount. In my experience, the MSRP price is more of a B2B pricing number (that is to say, made up in the land of fairy tales) and then is negotiated down from there.

Edit: That being said, I got my chair (Cosm, not Embody) new because I wanted the full warranty. Considering that I've sat in some chairs that were older than me and were still good because they were built solidly, I'm hoping that with a half-assed amount of care and maintenance, this is the last chair I'll ever need to buy.

Past 15 years I've been sleeping on a Sleep Number.
Been thinking about either upgrading to a newer Sleep Number or going with a TempurPedic.
Either way I am looking to get an adjustable so I can read better while in bed an occasional tv watching.
Don't necessarily need to upgrade so it constantly gets backburnered for other expenses.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zarin posted:

go to every mattress chain in town and roll around on fifty

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Zarin posted:

Not sure if they're in your country but I have an Ergoflex memory foam mattress; similar or superior to Tempurpedic

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have an Ikea mattress which is pocket sprung with a memory foam topper. Would recommend, though if I was buying again I'd get one with memory foam on both sides so it can be flipped as well as rotated.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Zarin posted:

Are you a back, side or stomach sleeper? Different brands/models would work best for you depending on how you sleep.

TenementFunster posted:

Yeah, you definitely do not want to gently caress up your mattress choice because you didn't test extensively enough.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Zarin posted:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

anakha posted:

Are you a back, side or stomach sleeper? Different brands/models would work best for you depending on how you sleep.

Yeah, you definitely do not want to gently caress up your mattress choice because you didn't test extensively enough.

Side sleeper, 100%.

TenementFunster posted:

Man I would normally agree with this but given the twindemic starting to pop off around here I'm not sure how I feel about that :/

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Zarin posted:

Side sleeper, 100%.

Maybe one of these mattresses is readily available near you.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sup, I have a Tuft and Needle original queen, topper, and oak frame. Good Stuff.

I chose it largely because it's one of Wirecutter's picks or was at the time.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

TenementFunster posted:

Howwww? According to the dimensions listed on their site, the Embody seat depth maxes out at 18". I'm 6'4" and need a chair that has something like 21" of seat depth. I've tried the Aeron C at the HM store only for the salesman to go "... huh, I don't think we can really help you." Same thing with the Gesture, and an assortment of cheapo chairs. Nothing loving works for me. And it's not like I'm all legs either.

Think I'll have to buy a no-name big & tall, just for the seat depth rather than the width. Some 21" deep and 35" wide chair or something.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Trabant posted:

Howwww? According to the dimensions listed on their site, the Embody seat depth maxes out at 18". I'm 6'4" and need a chair that has something like 21" of seat depth. I've tried the Aeron C at the HM store only for the salesman to go "... huh, I don't think we can really help you." Same thing with the Gesture, and an assortment of cheapo chairs. Nothing loving works for me. And it's not like I'm all legs either.

Think I'll have to buy a no-name big & tall, just for the seat depth rather than the width. Some 21" deep and 35" wide chair or something.

I guess it depends on whether your height is in your legs or torso, but at 6’3” it’s just right for me when at max height.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Costco (Canada) is selling the Aeron but according to a review, its missing a couple things compared to the *actual* Aeron purchased elsewhere.

https://www.costco.ca/herman-miller-aeron-office-chair.product.100771879.html

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zarin posted:

I've had a Purple mattress for years now and it is the most comfortable drat bed I've ever used. Great for side or back sleeping. Aches I had in my back went away after a month or so of use. The gel grid also doesn't get nearly as hot as a tempurpedic style bed at all. I can't say good things about their pillow though as I found it to be too drat high.

They apparently have a newer generation that also integrates coils, but when my old one eventually gets replaced I'll probably go for another original version. I absolutely love it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The coils just make it more all round bouncy. It's nice.

Don't get the loving mattress protector if you can help it. I almost returned the bed because it was making it swampy under the covers.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

The coils just make it more all round bouncy. It's nice.

Don't get the loving mattress protector if you can help it. I almost returned the bed because it was making it swampy under the covers.

Did you buy another protector or are you going protector-less? That was also a tough call for me to make (though I have tuft and needle)

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Has anyone in here ever bought or trialed anything from X-Chair? I don't remember how I got onto it, but I've been looking at their X3 model and it seems like what I'm looking for. Just curious how it measures up to what seem to be the mainstays.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Inner Light posted:

Did you buy another protector or are you going protector-less? That was also a tough call for me to make (though I have tuft and needle)

Raw-doggin' it.

I said if I sweat one night without the protector they were gonna have to prove I loving farted in it themselves on the refusal for 4,000 god-damned dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Been considering a new chair and sat in an Embody tonight. I wanted to like it but I feel like it was pushing my upper body forward. It almost felt like I had the forward tilt mode engaged from an Aeron or something. Is this to be expected?