Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Also I’ve been probated for attacking Yuns for his racist, fascist coach, AMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

Took me 13 years to get the black belt

It took me 11 years to get purple. get owned

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

While I agree with the sentiment, TBH that kind of doesnt belong in the thread anyway.

you’re probably right - but it was the start of covid, and we didn’t have anything better to do. we turned on one another, like beasts

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I’ll do it again, I won’t be stopped. I’ve heard some of y’all are having trouble with Elden Ring. Maidenliness fools lol

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Keep harassing the nazi

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

you’re probably right - but it was the start of covid, and we didn’t have anything better to do. we turned on one another, like beasts

Yes I remember . I think I got some flack for still training. a lot of "fight club" type of situations going on at gyms during that time

omg chael crash posted:

Also I’ve been probated for attacking Yuns for his racist, fascist coach, AMA

Wait til you find out that quite a few brazilian coaches share his sentiment :vince:

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 28, 2022

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It took me 11 years to get purple. get owned

12 to 14 years for me depending on how you count   :frogc00l::getin:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

12 years to purple for me, with a long break in there.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'm slightly over 7 years in and loving mind blown. I was SO terrible for the first 12-18 months. I remember my first coach pulling me aside and saying "jiu jitsu is for everyone, but not sure its for you" 3-4 months in.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

heeebrew posted:

"jiu jitsu is for everyone, but not sure its for you" 3-4 months in.

lol. good for you for disregarding this poo poo.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Count Roland posted:

If I want to be cheeky, i'm 14yrs in and a blue belt.

Realistically, its 4yrs.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

I'm gonna be a white belt forever 'cause I'm bad but I don't care because training is fun :unsmith:

Honestly I really like the technical discussion when it happens because it at least gets me thinking about those things when I'm rolling. Even if I can't do anything about it at the time I feel like the added awareness helps me learn more and more until I can do something about it

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Earlier this week I had 2x 6hr train trips. Ripped through a bunch of bjjconcepts videos and finally got to try them. I think given how much I watched I probably only absorbed like 5-10% but it still worked out well and managed to hit some of the stuff in rolling. Felt really great. Now to find some open mat time to actually drill a lot of the stuff so it becomes second nature.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Count Roland posted:

It took me 13 years to get to purple belt. Several injuries along the way, completely ripped my right knee apart two times and had surgeries both times. Also got psoriatic arthritis as a bonus. I don't care. I just rehab when needed and return to training. Now it's four times a week and I have started competing.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
14 months white
6 years and counting at blue lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

heeebrew posted:

I'm slightly over 7 years in and loving mind blown. I was SO terrible for the first 12-18 months. I remember my first coach pulling me aside and saying "jiu jitsu is for everyone, but not sure its for you" 3-4 months in.

Fuuuck this person. What I often say, and I can't recall if it's something I heard somewhere or made up myself, is:

"Jiu jitsu is for everyone, but it doesn't mean everyone does the same Jiu Jitsu"

That covers pretty much any situation of age, gender, body, athleticism, competitiveness, attendance etc.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Fuuuck this person. What I often say, and I can't recall if it's something I heard somewhere or made up myself, is:

"Jiu jitsu is for everyone, but it doesn't mean everyone does the same Jiu Jitsu"

That covers pretty much any situation of age, gender, body, athleticism, competitiveness, attendance etc.

I train with a guy that is having a pretty rough time with it, but he’s getting better every week and he knows it and we also let him know that as well. Everyone has a different way of learning and getting better - that’s okay.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

You and I are literally on the same track. A little over 7 here as well.

Agree with the above sentiment. gently caress that guy. My first pass Iearned was a step over pass and I literally stepped on my training partners nuts attempting to perform the move.
Clumsy and awkward are EXPECTED those first months, poo poo through most of white belt I say.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Mekchu posted:

If I want to be cheeky, i'm 14yrs in and a blue belt.

Realistically, its 4yrs.

I got my blue belt in 1999. Probably 7 years of training since. I think I'm finally better than I was when I got my blue belt a mere 22 years later.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

heeebrew posted:

Lmao brutal

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I've been doing sambo on and off for 15 years and I'm still bad

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I first tried bjj about 20 years ago but never got more than 1 stripe on my white belt. So after starting again you could say it took me 15 years to get a blue belt

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Starkebn, I'm interested in that seminar, and the price is good, but I don't think I can make that weekend work. I might buy tickets anyway and then sell them at the last minute if I still can't go.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 30, 2022

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

edit: nevermind

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 30, 2022

starkebn
May 18, 2004

You can subscribe to submeta.io for a month to get half off I think. I didn't realise that until I had already snap bought tickets though.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Also I personally think submeta is worth every penny, but then again a play a very similar (albeit way shittier) bottom game to him.

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Who

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
13 or 14 year brown belt, but I took the last two years off due to working around COVID patients and not wanting to be a vector, plus a couple years worth of long absences related to neck issues and multiple knee surgeries. Multiple guys I used to roll with have black belts now, and one guy that started the same week is an active roster UFC fighter.

I've still got a grapplers guide subscription but actually using it is like taking a step back in time to 2005 BJJ unless it's from a guest instructor. Fascinating how the meta has moved.

Also, to the guy asking about mobility earlier, I'm a big fan of the limber 11 by joe defranco. It's a relatively quick mobility routine you can do with minimal equipment, or none if you cut the foam rolling. which has fallen out of favor in the last 10 years anyway.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

Also, to the guy asking about mobility earlier, I'm a big fan of the limber 11 by joe defranco. It's a relatively quick mobility routine you can do with minimal equipment, or none if you cut the foam rolling. which has fallen out of favor in the last 10 years anyway.

Going to check this out, thanks

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

starkebn posted:

Going to check this out, thanks

Outlining post: https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine/
Imgur gallery with gifs: https://imgur.com/a/vmlNS

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Went to another tournament, lost all three matches by submission and was losing the whole time in all of them barring some scrambly stuff in the last match.

What's most frustrating is that, while I can take some solace in accomplishing at least some Jiujitsu, like defending some subs and making some escapes, all of my stand up was just "dude grabs me, dude takes me down". I don't think any of my opponents pulled guard so there's absolutely no denying that I was just sucking on my feet. So that's disappointing.

The good news is that I'm now going to tournaments so frequently that none of them really bother me that much, I'm going to go to another next month.

But really, I think I'm going into my matches certain I'm going to lose and already mentally conceding every close technique, but on the other hand I've never won a match so I really don't know how I'm going to ever break this metal state. Like, you know how there's two kinds of tilting in a competitive FPS; there's raging and then there's just sort of checking out? I think I'm checked out, but I don't want to stop going to tournaments both because I want to improve but also because I like being someone that goes to tournaments as opposed to someone that doesn't.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd recommend drilling takedown defense a lot if you're getting taken down. I suck at takedown so I usually am reactive to their takedown and use that to create a scramble/opportunity for me to get a better position once they initiate the takedown.

As for confidence, I always think I'm going to lose as I walk out onto the mat but then the thought sorta goes away as soon as things start. I think it's my brains way of not allowing me to get overly psyched/strained mentally about the match :shrug:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mekchu posted:

As for confidence, I always think I'm going to lose as I walk out onto the mat but then the thought sorta goes away as soon as things start. I think it's my brains way of not allowing me to get overly psyched/strained mentally about the match :shrug:

That might be what I'm doing; and I'll drill more take down stuff, thanks. I'll show my Judo Senseis my videos, embarrassing as they'll be, and I'm sure they'll have advice.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I entered a purple division for the first time yesterday - got rolled from masters down into adult, won 2 and lost 6. Most of the losses were good competitive rolls, and I hit a slick kimura from bottom half on an old friend/rival. Feel good about it. Competing is actually fun and I forgot. My face is covered in bruises and one of my shoulders doesn’t want to rotate much and I feel like I got hit by a car.

I also actually feel that ‘you win or you learn’ thing for the first time ever. I was getting feedback from my coach between rounds and immediately implementing those fixes. I haven’t competed since 2018.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 1, 2022

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack B Nimble posted:

That might be what I'm doing; and I'll drill more take down stuff, thanks. I'll show my Judo Senseis my videos, embarrassing as they'll be, and I'm sure they'll have advice.

I mean, I also have that feeling while sparring even if its against a new person. Its always "well he looks bigger/stronger/whatever, so i'm probably gonna have a bad 5 minutes" so most of my stuff is always defensive or whatever.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 1, 2022

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

A lot of getting good at Judo is learning to train standup sparring at less than 100% win-now mode that many BJJ guys are used to from their rolling sessions.

You need to learn to feel how people move and react, which is difficult when you are tense and exerting yourself a lot. This can be difficult when you're training partner is more interested in pushing the pace. Good judo randori when you're not trying to ramp up for a tournament should almost feel like a cross between sparring and dancing.

This all to say, Judo looks super ugly even for skilled Judo players a lot of the time, and requires a good amount of dedicated practice on your feet to become comfortable executing more techinical throws. Many elite judo players only have 1 or 2 techniques they feel comfortable using in competition, even if they 'know' a lot more throws.

Developing throws takes time, even for elite judo players.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

accidental double post

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Think I'm competing for the first time in nearly ten years two weeks from now. This time at purple belt!

I don't think there is anyone in my weight class registered yet but there are two guys in the next weight class up which is 221+ lbs.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm competing for the first time as a purple this week. I don't even like tournaments but I've started to teach regularly so I figure I'm kinda honour bound to put myself out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mario Lopez has a pretty nice single leg

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgsTpPIgdZq/

Also we learned a sorta new/weird swap from halfguard top over/under (you don't actually have the underhook so its more over/over)

I kinda like it but idk if i'll ever be able to hit it.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 3, 2022