Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Fifty Three posted:

That was the only way to get the true ending with the real villain, right? It has been so long, my entire memory of it is fuzzy.

yes you can only get it after having played through one game, transferring data to the other, and playing through that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is why the Oracle games desperately need a LA style remake, to put the sword/shield as default items (and maybe the Rod of Seasons/Harp of Ages too) the same way so you'll do much less menuing. That change alone is so good that while I still like a couple of things better in the original LA, I can't really go back to it because of the menu stuff.

I haven't played ages but the rod of seasons at least can only be used on the stumps, has no use otherwise, and there's never a reason to do anything else on a stump right? So it could do sword/shield + two equipped, and just replace the sword or one of your equipped items temporarily while on a stump or something.

I would buy a seasons/ages remake immediately.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

That was the only way to get the true ending with the real villain, right? It has been so long, my entire memory of it is fuzzy.

Ganon fight, big goron sword trade sequence, and collecting all rings.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pretty sure getting all rings required four playthroughs or something ridiculous like that

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012

Phosphine posted:

I haven't played ages but the rod of seasons at least can only be used on the stumps, has no use otherwise, and there's never a reason to do anything else on a stump right? So it could do sword/shield + two equipped, and just replace the sword or one of your equipped items temporarily while on a stump or something.
There’s one non-stump spot where you need the rod. You have to use it in the final boss fight to knock away Din’s crystal, which the boss uses as a shield. Using a sword electrocutes you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Detective Eyestorm posted:

There’s one non-stump spot where you need the rod. You have to use it in the final boss fight to knock away Din’s crystal, which the boss uses as a shield. Using a sword electrocutes you.

I was just thinking about that, it always seemed like such a weird choice to only bring it in super briefly for anything besides changing the seasons. I certainly wouldn't miss it if getting rid of that bit helped simplify the item mechanics in a remake.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There was an Oracle game planned for Farore but it fell through. Would make for some good DLC in a Switch remake...

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Spellman posted:

There was an Oracle game planned for Farore but it fell through. Would make for some good DLC in a Switch remake...

Can you imagine how insanely complex having the password system and subsequent changes for three entire games would be?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

Can you imagine how insanely complex having the password system and subsequent changes for three entire games would be?

Well hopefully they would come bundled and there would be no need for that. I'm thinking most would stay the same, but Farore would allow you to access a third path in her world. Maybe you can bring items to and from DLC quest back into the main game—scrap the password concept entirely, and just choose whether to start with Ages or Seasons

Since she's aligned with the Triforce of Courage, maybe this quest would be focused on combat. Ralph could have a happy ending in the DLC :3

Spellman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 27, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Having a third game to round out the original idea would be awesome. From everything I've heard, it doesn't seem like there's any substantial material sitting around from its early development? I assume it would basically be creating a new 2D game from scratch, which would be great, but also even less likely than just getting the two simpler ports. I wish it would happen though.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Any decent content produced for the putative Third Oracle Game ended up in Minish Cap, anyway.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oracle of Sizes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I beat Ocean's Heart. I would say there's a fair amount of small-game things to deal with - the janky menus and controls I mentioned above, some related frustrating level design decisions, and generally having sparser conversations and less tight dungeon design than you'd get in a real Zelda game.

But that's fine, you can't really expect all that from a smaller game. And I liked it quite a lot despite some frustrations. It's a lot of fun, especially once you get a bit in and become less fragile, and it has a lot of the charm that I wanted after finishing all the gameboy Zeldas. I took about 10 hours total, which seems to be roughly par for the story plus some wandering around finding optional stuff. I'd certainly give it a good recommend at the 50% sale price that seems to pop up pretty regularly.

Now I need to figure out what my next 2D fix is gonna be.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

If I wanted another 2D Zelda fix, Eastward and Death's Door are really good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Spellman posted:

If I wanted another 2D Zelda fix, Eastward and Death's Door are really good

Thanks, wishlisted to take a closer look at when they are on sale.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hated Eastward and quit it about halfway through.

You might like it if you enjoy games that let you play about 20 minutes of gameplay as a reward for watching an hour or two of poorly written cutscenes.

Hedrigall posted:

Oof yeah I got sucked into the hype

I quit the game after the first 8 hours or so

8 hours that had about 3 hours of gameplay in it

Hope you enjoy pressing A a lot to read endless reams of the blandest character dialogue from characters you couldn’t give two fucks about even after hours and hours of “character development”

Sometimes the game is nice and lets you walk a bit before another 15-30 minute cutscene begins

It's worse than Golden Sun's wordiness was

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I hated Eastward and quit it about halfway through.

You might like it if you enjoy games that let you play about 20 minutes of gameplay as a reward for watching an hour or two of poorly written cutscenes.

It's worse than Golden Sun's wordiness was

I've seen people bounce off Eastward, but it was definitely my game of 2021. I'm waiting for my friend to start the final chapter before I finish it because I'd feel lame if I skipped ahead

The underlying charm of Eastward is its art design being kind of a mash-up of Ghibli animation and Earthbound-sorta worldiness, not to mention the RPG that you encounter in-game, without spoiling too much. For me it was the Zelda aspect that surprised me, and I was happy for it because I do prefer action and puzzles to turn-based combat. And I love the story

If you have a cache of Earthbound-related nostalgia, I think it will resonate more. But there's also Death's Door—I'm absorbed by the soundtracks in both of these titles

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Eastward could've been really something with 3x less dialogue

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The zelda-like that people loved but I didn't care for was Tunic. It's close to being a great game but the combat isn't tight enough to justify the difficulty and the world ends up feeling really small. I ended up turning on invincibility mode just to finish.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Eastwards story is garbage nonsense and its gameplay is just ok. Skip it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far I’m enjoying Minish Cap. The puzzles are pretty fun. That is all.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

:hai:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

chaosapiant posted:

So far I’m enjoying Minish Cap. The puzzles are pretty fun. That is all.

Having a cat be an integral part of a quest puzzle is good.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Minish Cap is comfy time

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Except for the darknuts.

Dingdong

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m at the last Silent Realm stage of Skyward Sword, and just find this to be tediously unfun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it like 2 whole minutes long

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I hated the silent realms when it first came out. On the hd remake I thought they were super easy, i only really failed once to try and see the best path to take.

Plan a little and it’s a breeze.

I really need that Windwaker on switch though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Bloop posted:

It's collecting 15 tears. I'm sure it's 2 minutes long if you're super practiced with it, which if I was, I wouldn't be publicly griping about it. And while I have the Switch HD version, i'm finishing up my playthrough of the original Wii version, since I started it like 8 years ago and never finished.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I thought Eastward was really good up until chapter 6 and then extremely bad afterwards. The story doesn't wrap in a way I found satisfying, and the gameplay honestly isn't good enough to make up for it. I'm not calling it a bad game, I still overall would rate my experience with it as positive overall, but it isn't good enough that I have any desire to replay it and it's very hard to recommend.

Soundtrack owns, though, and the roguelike Dragon Quest minigame in it is super cool.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

It doesn't matter how much time it takes if it isn't fun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sigher posted:

It doesn't matter how much time it takes if it isn't fun.

I mean sure but I wouldn't use the word tedious to describe anything that brief

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

I mean sure but I wouldn't use the word tedious to describe anything that brief

thats what she said

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Winifred Madgers posted:

thats what she said

:mmmhmm:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Winifred Madgers posted:

thats what she said

:golfclap:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s one of those things that, once you’re good at it, it’s fine. But getting good is such a pain in the rear end. Nothing worse than getting 12/15 tears being careful, and then doing something stupid like falling off a ledge or triggering a ghost patrol.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I keep feeling like I played Skyward Sword very recently but it was on the WiiU. Which means it was at least like 5-6 years ago.

I bought the Switch version when it released but it’s been sitting. I should play it soon so I can give Breath of the Wild a second chance.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Back in 2011, I'd have said I absolutely hated the Silent Realms, and that they were why I only ever did one playthrough of Skyward Sword. I found them significantly less annoying than I'd remembered on Switch, this time around, constantly convinced I'd screw them up and have to restart, but also managing to get through them in two or three tries.

On Switch, I bounced off the second Imprisoned battle, and haven't made time to go back.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I had Skyward Sword for the Wii and one of the harp minigames broke me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWs2M0EKArg

Either I didn't have the sensor bar exactly set up right or had too much to drink that night but I never played again after this part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I had Skyward Sword for the Wii and one of the harp minigames broke me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWs2M0EKArg

Either I didn't have the sensor bar exactly set up right or had too much to drink that night but I never played again after this part.

It was kinda wonky for sure, but from my recollection that bit was more of a pain than anything you did in the rest of the game.