Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
That day's litigation forecast: 50 to 100 percent chance of light malapropism

joat mon fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I guess he meant landmark?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Maybe it's a negligence case on the Pacific Coast Highway?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I guess he meant landmark?

I think he meant landmark, yes, and he still would have been wrong

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I once worked on a case about a failing retaining wall. That could have been a landslide case.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

A landscape decision, a truly waterspout moment in the jurisprudence, which has now become brown-note law

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What did he think a “landslide” case was

He saw his reflection in the snow covered hills

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A landscape decision, a truly waterspout moment in the jurisprudence, which has now become brown-note law

Press conference to follow at the Four Seasons

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
it's actually a mudslide case 'cause I'm getting hammered in court

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Y'all decide for yourselves what he meant, because as soon as I pointed out that the next page of his case contradicts his argument, he just tells the judge, "Well, I didn't actually read the case."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
loving LMAO

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Y'all decide for yourselves what he meant, because as soon as I pointed out that the next page of his case contradicts his argument, he just tells the judge, "Well, I didn't actually read the case."

Lionel Hutz vibes

And from opposing counsel, too!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Law Megathread: So uh I didn't read on and on

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

blarzgh posted:

This is amazing.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
New thread title, courtesy of a client who came in to sign documents: “See that after his name, ‘Esquire’? It means expensive.”

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

New thread title, courtesy of a client who came in to sign documents: “See that after his name, ‘Esquire’? It means expensive.”

Putting esquire in a document actually means "douche."

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh boy, this argument again.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Muir posted:

Oh boy, this argument again.

We could talk about spacing after periods if you'd like?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pook Good Mook posted:

Putting esquire on your credit card may top that, and yes, I've seen it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pook Good Mook posted:

We could talk about spacing after periods if you'd like?

I use double reflexively because that's how I learned to type, but then when I'm finished I'll do a find and replace all "  " with " ".

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but then you have the olds who also mark information to be filled with blank spaces which are literally a series of spaces so you do that and gently caress up the document.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

dpkg chopra posted:

Yeah, but then you have the olds who also mark information to be filled with blank spaces which are literally a series of spaces so you do that and gently caress up the document.

All of my olds had me print stuff and they'd handwrite on it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tell me you work for a lawyer without telling me you work for a lawyer

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

dpkg chopra posted:

Yeah, but then you have documents that are edited by more than one old. So some tabs are tabs, some are auto format, some are five spaces, and some are six spaces. And double spacing, to some, is literally hitting enter twice between single space lines of text, or extra spacing after paragraphs, or no spacing after paragraphs, or combinations thereof that change from line to line. And they love to Capitalize Words for no reason. And then they'll call IT because Word is broken again.

This is my life every single day.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

BigHead posted:

Yeah, but then you have documents that are edited by more than one old. So some tabs are tabs, some are auto format, some are five spaces, and some are six spaces. And double spacing, to some, is literally hitting enter twice between single space lines of text, or extra spacing after paragraphs, or no spacing after paragraphs, or combinations thereof that change from line to line. And they love to Capitalize Words for no reason. And then they'll call IT because Word is broken again.

I had a conversation with my legal assistant a while ago where we were talking about careers and issues we were having and my assistant said something like, "I'm just here to make you look good" and all I could think was how much easier I was to replace compared to her.

The amount of poo poo a good legal assistant/secretary puts up with, and then you add asinine specific poo poo about formatting unique to each attorney, I'm surprised they aren't unionized.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'm required by local rules have Esq. and my bar number in my signature block in legal documents.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm required by local rules have Esq. and my bar number in my signature block in legal documents.

quote:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Toona the Cat posted:

And this is why I think people critiquing people for using Esq. is dumb. Some people do it because they're self-important douches, sure, but other people do it because that's the prevailing custom in their area or field, or because they're required to.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

hosed up

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Muir posted:

And this is why I think people critiquing people for using Esq. is dumb. Some people do it because they're self-important douches, sure, but other people do it because that's the prevailing custom in their area or field, or because they're required to.

I was being a bit extreme in my original post, but I appreciate the clarification by Toona.

For what it's worth, I was more referring to uses of Esq. in entirely unnecessary contexts. Like a business card where you're already identified as an Attorney.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Pook Good Mook posted:

I was being a bit extreme in my original post, but I appreciate the clarification by Toona.

For what it's worth, I was more referring to uses of Esq. in entirely unnecessary contexts. Like a business card where you're already identified as an Attorney.

No, this was on an actual court filing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pook Good Mook posted:

"Rising" is the Esq. of law school.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The Dog Lawyer Doesn’t Care That You Hate Him

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/29/nyregion/dog-lawyer.html?referringSource=articleShare

Lol at the idea that there's lawyers that care if you hate them.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Toona the Cat posted:

When decency is illegal, then only the outlaws will have decency.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

BigHead posted:

I swear to God I’m the only attorney in my group that knows the differences between section break, page break and slamming the enter key 50 times and it drives me up the loving wall.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Love to spend an hour perfecting a list with styles so that I don’t have to manually set tabs everywhere or make the table of contents by hand only to have some rear end in a top hat just manually insert new lists.

Word really needs to let you lock down formatting options.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just dictate it and let your lady put it on paper. Kids these days, I tell you what

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hello.

We are having issues with our property manager (we rent).

Is this a thread ti ask about legal advice on what rights we have as renters ?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Duckman2008 posted:

Hello.

We are having issues with our property manager (we rent).

Is this a thread ti ask about legal advice on what rights we have as renters ?

Absolutely, so long as you post in norwegian because you can only get norwegian legal advice here for legal reasons.

Så hva er problemet ditt? *tisser nervøst*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So where do I start?

We have been in our current place 1.5 years. Pay rent on time , don’t cause any noise or disturbances or whatever , no issues. We were offered and renewed our lease last March.

My wife put out a free little library next to our mailbox a year ago. More on that in a bit.

I’ve met our land lord, who seems fine, but most of our interactions are with the property manager who the landlord pays to handle the property. It’s a property group, so it’s not like one dude, it’s a company but we’re one of his.

So last week. He messages “hey I need to stop by for a standard house inspection, can I stop by Tuesday.” Yeah sure.

So I’m not expecting anything but he comes in and like, checks the smoke alarms. Big mistake, but I’ve had nothing but positive interactions with him so why would I expect anything.

This dude comes in, is super cold, walks through my house taking pictures. I’m like, in shock and don’t know what to do.

Now, we’re a bit messy, and my wife has had sickness off and on, so realistically, I would have told you the place was very messy. Not dirty, but cloths on the floor, stuff in boxes, etc. piles of clothes in the bedroom.

But that said, I will say it isn’t dirty, we don’t have issues with bugs, mice, whatever. Like, to me , even if it’s messy, we would certainly clear up before we ever move out.

So we go out to the backyard, and the dude is like “ok, so we got notices from the CSA that they are going to start sending fines to the landlord. Theres a free library next to your mailbox, garden materials at the back of the driveway, it’s not HOA code . We are going to give you 30 days to take down the outside stuff and clean up the entire house. “

Tbh, I’ve never had an issue before with landlords (fortunately), so I was in shock. I just said sure, it’ll be fine, we’ll clean and let him go on his way.

Few things happened since then:
-my wife posted the free library up for giveaway on Facebook, which got shared with the private community page (with her permission).

-from all that, long story short the HOA board members start responding. Turns out, they are not aware of any complaints

-my wife put up a curtain that said “choose love” to block our one window , because we’re starting to get creeped out someone is looking in on us. 2 days afterwards, our property manager emails us saying “I got another email from the HOA, you have to pull the library and the curtain you put up immediately. This is a BIG flag. Who the gently caress is looking at our house and sending a complaint within 2 days.

Anyway, we’ve had actually really nice conversations with the HOA people, I have a call with the head of the HOA tonight. Like, they are like “well there are rules so we would have to vote on stuff,” but we’re just trying to figure out who is harassing us.

It’s one of two possibilities:
1. Someone is pretending they have authority at the HOA to send out fines and sending out fake threatening emails to our property manager

2. Our property manager made the whole HOA complaints up to try and control us.

I thought all week it was 1, but here’s the kicker. The house across from us just went up for rental and got new renters. As in they moved in this week.

So the theory we have now, is the property manager naturally was in the area showing the place, drove by and looked in through our windows , decided that he did not like that it was messy, and made all this poo poo up to attack us and get us to clean up or whatever. Plus, he now has pictures, so I’m sure that means that if we leave in March they’ll try and gently caress with our deposit.

It’s just weird. He doesn’t own the place, so I don’t get why he would care the place is messy. We haven’t ripped up the house or moved anything around. My wife planted a small garden. But that’s like, it.

Anyway, so now the fear is the dude is going to come harassing us after 30 days , try to come in our house, try to get us evicted, whatever.

Any advice on what we can do and what our rights are is appreciated. I’ve found a local lawyer who works with this I will likely be reaching out to this week, we’re going to protect ourselves.