Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What Scenario will you start with?
Prehistory (Caveman)
Imperial China (Martial Arts Master)
Edo Japan (Ninja)
Wild West (Cowboy)
Present Day (Wrasslin)
Near Future (Mecha)
Future (Sci Fi)
View Results

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Don't worry if you feel like you missed something in the ninja chapter, it's such a weird and convoluted chapter that there's always something weird you might have never noticed because. There's a ton of secrets and weird events. As for the mimic mammet, I swear that poo poo's impossible to do blind. Even knowing roughly how to get it I managed to gently caress it up because I stepped on the cushion on the way out after putting in the coins and fell into to basement which appears to break the event because then the coin slot is still gone but there's no mimic and no way to interact anymore. It's so weird and fragile and seems to break for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

Don't worry if you feel like you missed something in the ninja chapter, it's such a weird and convoluted chapter that there's always something weird you might have never noticed because. There's a ton of secrets and weird events. As for the mimic mammet, I swear that poo poo's impossible to do blind. Even knowing roughly how to get it I managed to gently caress it up because I stepped on the cushion on the way out after putting in the coins and fell into to basement which appears to break the event because then the coin slot is still gone but there's no mimic and no way to interact anymore. It's so weird and fragile and seems to break for no reason

lol I did exactly the same thing when I did this chapter last night

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pft just savescum like a normal person who refuses to fall into traps on principle. :smug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Currently trying to do a no-kill run of Ninja as my third chapter too. Would definitely enjoy tips on how to defeat the two superbosses in a no-kill run.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can get an edge over most of the chapter by fighting respawning ghosts over an over for levels. Easier to do here than it was in the original.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How many koban can you get in one run? I'm wondering if I can still give six to the pot for the special insta-kill move. I've already given three to the mimic mammet--and failed because I fell into the trap--and then I put one more in the pot and I'm not sure if that counts towards the total or if it has to be six at once.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Currently trying to do a no-kill run of Ninja as my third chapter too. Would definitely enjoy tips on how to defeat the two superbosses in a no-kill run.

There's a storage room with some Lost Spirit enemies that will respawn every time you reenter as long as you don't kill the ghost lady in the corner. It'll take an hour or two, but that's how you grind up to level 16. Wait until after you get Mimic Mammet to do most of it, he gets a lot of good moves as he levels up, particularly at 16.

Harrow posted:

How many koban can you get in one run? I'm wondering if I can still give six to the pot for the special insta-kill move. I've already given three to the mimic mammet--and failed because I fell into the trap--and then I put one more in the pot and I'm not sure if that counts towards the total or if it has to be six at once.

Off the top of my head, there are, I believe, six or seven chests containing koban, but not all of them are accessible depending on if you're going for zero kills or not (specifically, one requires you to kill the Go-Nin-Ja, which does also get you the Genji Gauntlet). However, you can nearly double that total by freeing Goemon, who will restock most of the chests containing koban, as well as the chests containing the Genji equipment, and, most confusingly, he'll even replace the Muramasa so you can grab another, if you wait until then to free him. Also, even if you spend three koban to access Mimic Mammet's room, the only way out besides the trapdoor is spending another koban to reset the mechanism. The money pot is essentially a trap, since Oboro learns his moves naturally by leveling up, and getting a move early isn't of much benefit when you already want him high enough to know all his moves before fighting the optional bosses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Off the top of my head, there are, I believe, six or seven chests containing koban, but not all of them are accessible depending on if you're going for zero kills or not (specifically, one requires you to kill the Go-Nin-Ja, which does also get you the Genji Gauntlet). However, you can nearly double that total by freeing Goemon, who will restock most of the chests containing koban, as well as the chests containing the Genji equipment, and, most confusingly, he'll even replace the Muramasa so you can grab another, if you wait until then to free him. Also, even if you spend three koban to access Mimic Mammet's room, the only way out besides the trapdoor is spending another koban to reset the mechanism. The money pot is essentially a trap, since Oboro learns his moves naturally by leveling up, and getting a move early isn't of much benefit when you already want him high enough to know all his moves before fighting the optional bosses.

I'm not doing a zero kill run and I did free Goemon so I guess I'll go search around!

I'm not sure if I can actually get Oboro to a high enough level though because I already killed the boss in the ghost room so I think the ghosts stopped spawning, and I'm not sure I can get enough EXP elsewhere. I'm not going for a 100-kill run so I'm trying not to kill innocents, just guards.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
i grinded Oboromaru to level 7 with Lost Spirits and did the lion’s share of that after I killed the ghost lady, maybe my game’s just not working right though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

i grinded Oboromaru to level 7 with Lost Spirits and did the lion’s share of that after I killed the ghost lady, maybe my game’s just not working right though

Oh I haven't tried going back to that room maybe they come back

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah it works like any of the other onscreen encounters that just mill about in the other chapters and reload after a screen transition

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Are there any "must craft" items for prehistoric? I've got a quick spear and some armor for the girl that seems pretty good, just wondering what else I should make for my group.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Are there any "must craft" items for prehistoric? I've got a quick spear and some armor for the girl that seems pretty good, just wondering what else I should make for my group.

The Fertility Charm (stone knife + hard rock) and Wildheart Sack (dried skins + leather strap) are very good. Fertility Charm is a reusable AoE heal with a buff (keep it in your inventory and use it like an item) and the Wildheart Sack is a super strong weapon for one of the party members.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can make best in slot gear before having your first battle with the crafting and the minigame that gives you one of each ingredient. I like the change they made to that minigame for the remake too.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah it works like any of the other onscreen encounters that just mill about in the other chapters and reload after a screen transition

If that's true, it's different from the SNES version, where once you kill Okyo, the Lost Spirits stop spawning. Could be a QoL change specifically for level grinding in a zero-kill run.

Kingtheninja posted:

The fast spear and fury knife are Pogo's best weapon options (the spear adds speed, while the knife has more raw power). The following items represent the other "Best in slot" items for the cast aside from that and the previously mentioned Wildheart Sack (note that you'll need lots of rocks and bones, because stone knives are needed for leather straps, which make several useful items).

Armor: Wildheart Armor (Dried Skins+Stone Knife) for Pogo, Wildheart Dress (Pelt+Leather Strap) for Beru, and a plain Pelt for Gori.
Head: Laughing Mask (Dried Skin+Fang or Horn) for Pogo and Beru, Beastskin Hood (Pelt+Horn or Bone) for Gori
Feet: Rough Bands (Horn+Bone or Rock) for everyone (also an accessory)
Arms: Dried Skin+Rock (I don't recall the new translation of the item name at the moment) or the Whip (Leather+Stick) for Pogo and Beru, depending on whether you want more power or speed.

The good accessories (forgive me if I misremember the new names):
Thumping Drum (Skins+Stick or Bone)
Pretty Flower (Fang+Horn)
Rough Bands

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 29, 2022

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

If that's true, it's different from the SNES version, where once you kill Okyo, the Lost Spirits stop spawning. Could be a QoL change specifically for level grinding in a zero-kill run.

The fast spear and fury knife are Pogo's best weapon options (the spear adds speed, while the knife has more raw power). The following items represent the other "Best in slot" items for the cast aside from that and the previously mentioned Wildheart Sack (note that you'll need lots of rocks and bones, because stone knives are needed for leather straps, which make several useful items).

Armor: Wildheart Armor (Dried Skins+Stone Knife) for Pogo, Wildheart Dress (Pelt+Leather Strap) for Beru, and a plain Pelt for Gori.
Head: Laughing Mask (Dried Skin+Fang or Horn) for Pogo and Beru, Beastskin Hood (Pelt+Horn or Bone) for Gori
Feet: Rough Bands (Horn+Bone or Rock) for everyone (also an accessory)
Arms: Dried Skin+Rock (I don't recall the new translation of the item name at the moment) or the Whip (Leather+Stick) for Pogo and Beru, depending on whether you want more power or speed.

The good accessories (forgive me if I misremember the new names):
Thumping Drum (Skins+Stick or Bone)
Pretty Flower (Fang+Horn)
Rough Bands
On that note what the hell did "Gigigaga Waka" turn out to be in this official version?

Glagha posted:

I've seen at least 4 different people mess up their 0 kill run because of that cushion. I can't tell if it's a weird bug or an intentional "Haha you made a singular easily missable mistake, no reward for you!"

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
For what it's worth, there's no real reason to kill both Ninja superbosses on a no-kill run: the fish gives you something valuable, but the other boss just duplicates the no-kill reward. (Different name, mechanically identical.) I'm pretty sure the remake doesn't change that. Sure, you get extra bragging rewards for doing it with two party members instead of three, but that means a lot more grinding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I don't think I can beat the superbosses this run :negative: I missed out on the mimic mammet because of the trap and I just don't think there's enough EXP left in the castle for me to be able to level up enough to survive more than one or two hits without killing all the innocents, which I'd really prefer not to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ohhhh, there are two ghost rooms

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't think grinding really helps that much anyway outside of making the fight shorter. For Lord Iwama I basically just took turns tanking and healing after his attacks while standing where he couldn't use whisker and interrupting the full screen attack. Oboro up front doing the most damage, takes a hit, steps back, prisoner takes his place, use an item after they've both been hit once, repeat until dead. this was at like level 11 or 12 I think and I was still getting two shot by the fish, so I think strategy is more important than raw stats but levels do give you more wiggle room and better attacks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

I don't think grinding really helps that much anyway outside of making the fight shorter. For Lord Iwama I basically just took turns tanking and healing after his attacks while standing where he couldn't use whisker and interrupting the full screen attack. Oboro up front doing the most damage, takes a hit, steps back, prisoner takes his place, use an item after they've both been hit once, repeat until dead. this was at like level 11 or 12 I think and I was still getting two shot by the fish, so I think strategy is more important than raw stats but levels do give you more wiggle room and better attacks.

I just don't have enough healing items to outlast him at level 11. It's also kind of fiddly getting the Prisoner's turns to line up right so he can always interrupt Floodcall, and if I fail to interrupt it I just get erased. And if someone gets paralyzed I might as well just reset on the spot.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sometimes it falls to Oboro to interrupt which is a DPR loss but it's better than dying. I dunno, seemed pretty safe when I did it but I just realized I had Muramasa when I did it so your mileage may vary lol

Edit: For Majin Ryunosuke to GET Muramasa I think I just got fuckin lucky. Turns lined up so I'd hit him with Oboro and Prisoner would rotate him so he'd have to waste time turning because he doesn't have any backward facing attacks and I literally just did that repeatedly until he was dead. I don't think I could repeat that on purpose and get the turns to line up perfectly.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 29, 2022

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
poison works pretty well iirc, and don't be afraid to use your items! if you can beat either of the bonus bosses you definitely won't need them for the chapter boss

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

So yeah, this sure was a video game. Sure makes some of the SNES Golden Age JRPGs make more sense, like, drat, it's super apparent how ideas from Live A Live took hold. It's a little weird to get my head around how to credit design elements of a game that came out nearly three goddamn decades ago and has been through a modern remake filter (albeit a very faithful remake filter), but the conclusion I've reached is that this game was wildly ahead of its time, and in some respects feels a little bit dated today, but it only feels dated by like, five or ten years. There are a couple points where you can really feel the Old JRPG Bullshit piling up, and it just wasn't in the cards for whole swathes of the game to be ground-up redesigned, so they're in here more or less as articles of faith and exist as little spots where the quality-of-life papering-over couldn't quite reach. But god drat. This game feels original still in 2022, maybe less mind-blowingly so than it might have in 1994 and especially now that the idea of an anthology JRPG about thematically connected stories isn't really revolutionary anymore but, like, god drat. The HD-2D glow-up certainly doesn't hurt either, although it's a shame the Switch struggles to run it at times.

I love how distinct each chapter feels. Seven completely different tones, seven completely different genres, seven completely different styles of love-letter to seven completely different eras of film, seven completely different characters, seven completely different styles of play. I once read, somewhere (my fading memory says it was an Action Button review, but hell if I can remember exactly where) that the JRPG genre is like a canvas - game genres being generally more akin to how we might think of a "medium" in art than what we think of as a "genre" in film - which you then find ways to use to convey narrative. The battle system, the progression, the exploration, and, yes, events and dialogue. Final Fantasy II/IV turned heads by giving you a "battle" sequence in which you progressed by a means other than depleting the opposing party's hit points. That kind of thing. Live A Live is fruit turgid with that kind of creative application of genre. The Shifu starting at max level but with stats that are middling in context, and his young students who are weak but brimming with potential if they could only gain the experience is a great example of this (Fire Emblem fans will instinctively think about Jeigan and Est here, because Fire Emblem is another early wellspring of narrative concepts crystallised as gameplay systems). Everywhere you look there's stuff telling you things; every item description is from the viewpoint of a character instead of that of the developer, mechanical differences between characters are framed as differing ways in which they see the world, and the protagonists all fight differently in ways that feel like true expressions of who they are and where (and when) they're from more than they feel like a designer ensuring a diverse allocation of unit classes. This stuff seems obvious to us now, in 2022, but in its original context it was the cutting loving edge. These guys figured out how to paint a masterpiece on the JRPG Canvas, and then opened a gallery. It is readily apparent that this game was made by people who love video games, and it is just as apparent that even though Japan (and, allegedly, the world) wasn't ready for it at the time, the people who made it understood the value in what they had made, and took much from it with which to find later success. It's right and just that it got such a high-profile second chance, because it was an injustice for it to go largely unknown despite being a key influence for literal decades.

Now with all of that said I'm going to complain at length about the most integral part of the game and the spoilers.

So we're all agreed I think that it's kind of a deliberate joke that after seven distinct original and novel short tales told in a JRPG style we are then given the secret that ties everything together in a Fantasy Medieval Europe sword and sorcery tale about a princess and a dark wizard. It's a good joke. I found it funny for about two hours, which, probably not coincidentally, is about how long the Middle Ages chapter stalls for before pulling its rug. It's earned. The problem I have is that as what I can only assume is part of the joke, they bought back the random battles. And I don't find that quite as funny.

So, like, here's the thing. The game, the whole game, up until now, has made such a point about averting the use of random battles. It's like it's saying, we get it, we understand that this has only ever been something we all put up with before a better way was found, a mission it shares with its contemporary EarthBound. It was, to an extent, fitting for it to then abandon this undertaking as part of its effort to misdirect the player about what's about to happen in the Middle Ages chapter, because it's committed to using every single stroke on that canvas to paint a picture of JRPG Cliché. Like the rest of the joke, it remains funny for a couple of hours. But unlike the rest of the joke, it doesn't go away. The JRPG clichés are dramatically thrown away, but this mechanical part remains. And round about the same time, the game sends Oersted out on a wander around the game's largest environment, with no direction provided. I don't know exactly how long I spent before giving up and looking up a guide to reveal the completely unintuitive, untelegraphed action that triggers the next plot movement. It can't have been that long, maybe forty minutes. But it felt like hours, because, as we know without question in 2022 and surely must have at least suspected in 1994 having gone to the effort to make a game that avoids random battles, having to scour a large environment while being interrupted every few seconds feels godawful. So, this bit in the middle of the game's most impactful chapter was a bit of a misfire. But, hey, it's one bit, which does eventually end, and then it's right back onto the plot train. So what does the game do after this? Naturally, it repeats the same conceit again, for an entire final chapter that you'll need to scour in even more detail for an even longer time.

I can't lie. The fatigue hit hard during the climactic final chapter. Somehow, for some reason, the game decides at this point that what it needs to do now is go in even harder on the JRPG tropes than it already has. The assembling of your team, this is good, and we see there a seed that would later blossom in FFVI in particular. But once again you are scouring Live A Live's largest environment, without any real guidance, and with the constant interruption of random battles, and to add to that, there are now seven dungeons - dungeons? Now? - that you have to complete if you want your Good Ending. All that, and tracking down Sundown. It's, just, it's too much. It takes too long. It ruins the pace. There was not an opening for five more hours of content at this point. Our seven protagonists are, we're to believe, flung together across time and space and proceed to spend a ton of time grinding in complete silence before anything interesting happens. And I mean, look, once you get there, the final boss sequence is incredible. In 1994 the idea of a fleshed out fallen-from-grace tragic figure pulling cosmic overlord duty must have been faintly astonishing. In 2022 it is merely a very cool sequence. But they carry it. Oersted sells it completely with his absurd trauma conga-line and his reams of soliloquies. "My hate is yours, and yours is mine. To share, a history, so long as men yet live!". Today it's kind of a cliché, but this right here is why it became a cliché. God, I was sold on Oersted as a villain the moment he started speaking. It couldn't have been more on the nose if they faded out the background and had a spotlight shine down on him. I am Here for this plot and how it's brought home. It's just! The five hours of filler! After everything in those other chapters!

(Also as much as I love the constant Elizabethan-ness of everything in the Middle Ages, there's also kind of a weird quality to it that I can't quite pin down; it's like somewhere between the editing room and the recording booths there was a disconnect, or maybe multiple disconnects at different points, often the meter of the lines will falter slightly as though nobody had ever bothered to actually try reading them out and observe they failed to match that iambic cadence, and other times the voice actors didn't seem to realise they were supposed to be reading lines in that way, or other times the lines have the wrong meter but the voice actors clearly cotton on and manage to deliver the line in a way that works. There's, just, something really weird happened and I'd love to spend days badgering all the cast and crew to find out what exactly.)

Someone upthread said the game is both hugely ahead of its time and utterly of its time, and, like, yeah, that, basically. But I think the remake had a daunting task which it carried out admirably; I am given to understand the whole undertaking is astonishingly faithful, beat for beat and pixel for pixel with only extremely minor changes for some variably justified censorship purposes, but there's clearly been a lot of thought put in to transparency and quality of life, with only a few sequences that still evoke that good ol' 1994 Game Bullshit Feeling. I'm glad it was made (both times) and I'm glad to have finally played it. I see what all the fuss was about.

you should've tried running away from those encounters :twisted:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
anyway i finished this last night and i adored it, 10/10 incredible remake of an incredible gem

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

Sometimes it falls to Oboro to interrupt which is a DPR loss but it's better than dying. I dunno, seemed pretty safe when I did it but I just realized I had Muramasa when I did it so your mileage may vary lol

Edit: For Majin Ryunosuke to GET Muramasa I think I just got fuckin lucky. Turns lined up so I'd hit him with Oboro and Prisoner would rotate him so he'd have to waste time turning because he doesn't have any backward facing attacks and I literally just did that repeatedly until he was dead. I don't think I could repeat that on purpose and get the turns to line up perfectly.

Which of Oboro's moves can interrupt?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Harrow posted:

Which of Oboro's moves can interrupt?

Several of them. Any move that causes rotation or movement can interrupt. Off the top of my head Cross Flare spins and I think Waterspout has a knockback? Obviously not the top choice because of water but it does it.

Edit: With the caveat that for the knockback moves to work they have to actually move the target. If their back is to the corner I don't think it does anything.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fujin scrolls work as well

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Just getting into the Western chapter and I'm just before the main gimmick of the chapter starts. The race to place traps in order to thin out the enemies' numbers. Got a couple of questions, how exactly hard is it and is there any advice that's important for it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The fish is dead now

Thanks for the advice, I didn't realize Oboro could interrupt but that made a big difference

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pyro Jack posted:

Just getting into the Western chapter and I'm just before the main gimmick of the chapter starts. The race to place traps in order to thin out the enemies' numbers. Got a couple of questions, how exactly hard is it and is there any advice that's important for it?

It's not hard, no. Just run around and grab every shiny then come back and hand out everything. I think the only catch is make sure to give the unique traps to the right people. I forget what the effect is but it should be fairly obvious who gets what. Other than that though just wing it you'll be fine.

Edit: Basically just don't screw around, if you hurry you can get everything, and if you don't get the maximum result that's fine, I had a couple adds in the final fight and it's not that hard.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 29, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Pyro Jack posted:

You could probably do it blind (and it's possible, albeit very difficult, to beat the boss without using any traps), but here's my tips if you want to go in prepared.

-Whenever mad dog offers to make bottled fire, take it.
-The Sheriff will ask if you're prepared. That's just him asking if you're ready to send people to make traps, it's not gonna skip you to the end.
-Some townsfolk will tell you how good they are at doing stuff, and some items are kind of character specific. You don't need to send everyone out to make traps- you can always wait for a faster character to come back and send them out again.
-I recommend scouting every building for items first and then telling people to make traps.
-You're making good time if you scout every building before the fourth bell.
-There's a trap you can make (coal pit I think?) that increases the duration of the 7th and 8th bell if you're pressed for time.
-If you find yourself with an excess of time, you can talk to the bartender and they will skip time until the next townperson comes back (or the wild gang arrives)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If this game had achievements there would certainly be one for facing down the entire Crazy Bunch at once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

If this game had achievements there would certainly be one for facing down the entire Crazy Bunch at once.

I am sure the inevitable PC port is going to have plenty of fun ones

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Looper posted:

you should've tried running away from those encounters :twisted:

Good christ no. When I eventually figured that particular gimmick out I started on it and after like five battles I ran the numbers on how long it would take versus the reward and just figured it wasn't worth it. I'm just glad the game came out on the one platform still mercifully free of achievements because I get to be free of extrinsic compulsions to do nonsense like that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Laughed out loud when starting the present day chapter, was not expecting Street fighter motif.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Fedule posted:

Good christ no. When I eventually figured that particular gimmick out I started on it and after like five battles I ran the numbers on how long it would take versus the reward and just figured it wasn't worth it. I'm just glad the game came out on the one platform still mercifully free of achievements because I get to be free of extrinsic compulsions to do nonsense like that.
While I know the other user was suggesting that just for the gimmick, I do think it's notable for anyone who dislikes the battles that Flee is a 100% guaranteed, 0 penalty option anytime you're just not feeling the enemies that appear.

SettingSun posted:

It's kind of exhilarating facing them all down, especially with the way Gatling Gun works now compared to the SNES original.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

HGH posted:

While I know the other user was suggesting that just for the gimmick, I do think it's notable for anyone who dislikes the battles that Flee is a 100% guaranteed, 0 penalty option anytime you're just not feeling the enemies that appear.

Unless Akira's in your party. Then there's a random chance you wind up in his bonus dungeon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Truxton posted:

Unless Akira's in your party. Then there's a random chance you wind up in his bonus dungeon.

only before you finish it! and you should because it's one of the more important ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Please circle back to this once you've seen the remake version. I dunno what the original/Aeon Genesis version did, but I absolutely loved the remake's take.

also i meant to reply to this earlier but, :yeah: the english va's read of in blood and lead and death is one of my favorite lines in the game