Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

some kinda jackal posted:

If your use case is more intricate than "I want to plug it in and see contents in explorer" you might want to consider a standard internal shugart floppy drive and a USB greaseweazle. A lot of (or possibly all?) USB drives won't give you low level access to the hardware so if you want to do anything like binary dumps of the disk you might be out of luck. I used my GW to do flux dumps of a ton of old floppies I inherited and it was super painless, disk errors aside. But tbh if they were dos formatted I could just as easily have dragged the files off, which would have been easier :haw:

It is more intricate than that, actually!

I still have and use a 486; this is my current way of moving files to and from my more modern computer. (Greaseweazle or KryoFlux don't actually work with a 486, I think.)

I couldn't get two different Iomega Zip drives to work with the 486. Maybe I should try that again, but 3.5" floppy drive speed is not strongly rate-limiting for my purposes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Boldor posted:

I still have and use a 486; this is my current way of moving files to and from my more modern computer. (Greaseweazle or KryoFlux don't actually work with a 486, I think.)

I couldn't get two different Iomega Zip drives to work with the 486. Maybe I should try that again, but 3.5" floppy drive speed is not strongly rate-limiting for my purposes anyway.

They don't, no. The software/drivers you'd need aren't gonna run on a 486, even if you manage to get USB ports working on it somehow. Same with a SuperCard Pro.

Honestly, if you're OK with not being super timeperiod-accurate I'd probably just get a Gotek drive and put FlashFloppy on it. It runs on the Shugart bus, but you can stick a USB drive with disk images into a USB port on it and select which one you want to show up on the bus as the disk you're working with.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If for some reason you want to get new physical games for your ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, or MSX 1, this Spanish studio is making a Kickstarter campaign to release two games for those platforms:

JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH - EXTENDED VERSION
TOPO MIX GAME

It's not as random as it seems. These guys have previously released other adventure games for old systems. A couple of years ago I pledged for their Drascula for Dreamcast campaign and they delivered (with some delays) what they promised.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Boldor posted:

Null-modem cable and ZMODEM?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Boldor posted:

This is why I love how well Amiga works with SD/CF cards. They are just plug'n'play and appear on the desktop like a modern computer.

I don't really have a good solution for DOS. I tend to move files onto my Pentium machine with CD-RW disks, but moving them back to my modern compter is more difficult. For small files I tend to use a USB floppy drive on my modern end.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Gotek exists for hardware floppy emulation. Have nobody made a similar device for hardware level CD-ROM emulation?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nielsm posted:

The Gotek exists for hardware floppy emulation. Have nobody made a similar device for hardware level CD-ROM emulation?

https://shop.tattiebogle.net/product/prod_EkTnv3Tk2Trxhf seems to be what you're looking for.

Optical drive emulation is a big thing in the console world these days, swapping out aging drives for FPGA-based adapters reading images from SD cards. I'd imagine it gets less attention on the PC side of things because virtual disk drives entirely in software are often an option.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

lobsterminator posted:

This is why I love how well Amiga works with SD/CF cards. They are just plug'n'play and appear on the desktop like a modern computer.

I don't really have a good solution for DOS. I tend to move files onto my Pentium machine with CD-RW disks, but moving them back to my modern compter is more difficult. For small files I tend to use a USB floppy drive on my modern end.
CompactFlash adapters work fine for DOS, provided you get ones small enough to fit the computer's BIOS, whatever that maximum might be. I've used them with Windows 98SE, even, with no apparent downside (yet; I admit the usage hasn't been super heavy, so maybe the downsides will become apparent later).

wolrah posted:

https://shop.tattiebogle.net/product/prod_EkTnv3Tk2Trxhf seems to be what you're looking for.

Optical drive emulation is a big thing in the console world these days, swapping out aging drives for FPGA-based adapters reading images from SD cards. I'd imagine it gets less attention on the PC side of things because virtual disk drives entirely in software are often an option.
I think it's more a technical issue than one of sofrware being more convenient, although I don't know the specifics. There's some talk of work on one right now on VOGONS, though who knows how far it'll go. Hopefully whatever it is supports Redbook audio properly (some of the software solutions don't - the SHSUCD* line for DOS, for instance) and will support formats than can handle copy protection like CCD or MDS (ISO and BIN/CUE can't properly get around those, you'd need cracks).

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

CompactFlash adapters work fine for DOS, provided you get ones small enough to fit the computer's BIOS, whatever that maximum might be. I've used them with Windows 98SE, even, with no apparent downside (yet; I admit the usage hasn't been super heavy, so maybe the downsides will become apparent later).

This is correct, but they function as hard drives afaik. I have an adapter. You need to plug it in before you boot, just like a hard drive. You can just swap them on the go.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shadow Hog posted:

I think it's more a technical issue than one of sofrware being more convenient, although I don't know the specifics. There's some talk of work on one right now on VOGONS, though who knows how far it'll go. Hopefully whatever it is supports Redbook audio properly (some of the software solutions don't - the SHSUCD* line for DOS, for instance) and will support formats than can handle copy protection like CCD or MDS (ISO and BIN/CUE can't properly get around those, you'd need cracks).

What I meant by that is that PC users generally have options as far as mounting images. The ease of software CD-ROM emulation, though sometimes not full featured, strongly reduces both the demand for a hardware solution and what people are willing to pay for one.

The hardware disk emulators available aren't made just for us. The GoTek units are used in all kinds of digital music devices and other appliances, the IDE unit I linked was designed for use with Dance Dance Revolution cabinets and has since added support for other arcade cabinets as well as a partial zip drive emulation for a Roland sampler, etc. The people using those machines need these devices, where for a retro PC user it's more of a neat convenience so the market just isn't going to be as strong.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

lobsterminator posted:

This is correct, but they function as hard drives afaik. I have an adapter. You need to plug it in before you boot, just like a hard drive. You can just swap them on the go.
They do, yes. I can't say as that's ever really bothered me - sure, hot-swapping them is A Bad Idea as such, but you can still take the thing out and easily plop files onto it on a modern machine otherwise.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Shadow Hog posted:

They do, yes. I can't say as that's ever really bothered me - sure, hot-swapping them is A Bad Idea as such, but you can still take the thing out and easily plop files onto it on a modern machine otherwise.

Well in general for Amigas you do not. In general.

I don't post nearly enough cuz I'm weird so dunno if I've shared it in the thread before but its time to share the ultimate Swiss Army Knife but German for any Amiga 500 owner who doesn't want to cheat and pop in a Pistorm.

This sexy little list of options is from the Aca500Plus from Individual Computing.
Look at what it can do.
Its got up to 42mhz 68000 speed!
8 megs of fast ram! (Sort of 7 really but whatever.)
Option to turn your trapdoor ram into Chip for 1 meg total covering most of your WHDLoad needs!
Built in OS 3.1 to install!
Multiple Kickstart roms to select including user provided!
Double CF slots with one being hot swapping from your pc or Android or whatever!
Pal/Ntsc switching at boot!
Action Replay 3 in Rom!
Disk Drive Boot Select!

Like this little bastard is practically impossible to live without if you have a 500!
https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/ACA500plus.html there are many other less cheapo casual features too for folks who actually need real time clocks and who want to use 1200 model accelerator boards. (Not sure why since without AGA its not like the extra speed and ram is worth 250 bux plus imo but im sure some nutters may disagree.)

It, a good full USB mouse dongle, your standard Gotek, the newest RGB2HDMI (if you can find a pi zero 1 or 2 anyhow..), and OS 3.2 is basically a complete super 500 all you need thats not overkill and stupid. (Sure I want an ECS Denise chip and an ACE2 for 2mb chip ram but thats around 400 bucks of nearly useless tat.)

its still gonna make your 500 into a Sexual Tyrannosaurus that can play Elite 2 real good.

Grab yourself a 3.x patched version of Filemaster, make sure LHA is installed, and 3.2 will do everything you want just about as opposed to all the nonsense 1.3 and to a lesser degree 3.1 have. Its even got built in adf support for your non auto boot needs.

I even bought a 3d printed case off of Ebay that I need to get around to painting.

Yes the thing is an external component. Which means I lose out on my GVP Hard Drive but oh well. Ought to sell it if its worth anything with or without the scsi2sd 5.2 I've got in it. And 8 megs 70ns RAM. The physical drive still works too.

And while I'm posting:

Does anyone know of good working TI 99/4A or Tandy Color Computer emulators for Android? Id like more lazy options for ancient RPGs or some of the modern ones out there like Realms of Antiquity.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 13, 2022

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Huh, I could afford that :thunk:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Captain Rufus posted:

And while I'm posting:

Does anyone know of good working TI 99/4A or Tandy Color Computer emulators for Android? Id like more lazy options for ancient RPGs or some of the modern ones out there like Realms of Antiquity.

I've used XRoar for CoCo 1 and 2 emulation on the PC and it works well enough. There's an Android port available at it's website, but I've never used it before. XRoar also covers the UK CoCo Dragon clones and claims to support CoCo 3 and MC-10, but I just use other emulators for those (VCC for the CoCo 3 - that one does CoCo 2 but the last time I used it, it doesn't get the colors right for the machine).

MAME also can emulate CoCo 1/2/3 (I believe it was originally through MESS) but I don't know if any Android port of MAME covers it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Captain Rufus posted:

Well in general for Amigas you do not. In general.

I don't post nearly enough cuz I'm weird so dunno if I've shared it in the thread before but its time to share the ultimate Swiss Army Knife but German for any Amiga 500 owner who doesn't want to cheat and pop in a Pistorm.

This sexy little list of options is from the Aca500Plus from Individual Computing.
Look at what it can do.
Its got up to 42mhz 68000 speed!
8 megs of fast ram! (Sort of 7 really but whatever.)
Option to turn your trapdoor ram into Chip for 1 meg total covering most of your WHDLoad needs!
Built in OS 3.1 to install!
Multiple Kickstart roms to select including user provided!
Double CF slots with one being hot swapping from your pc or Android or whatever!
Pal/Ntsc switching at boot!
Action Replay 3 in Rom!
Disk Drive Boot Select!

Like this little bastard is practically impossible to live without if you have a 500!
https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/ACA500plus.html there are many other less cheapo casual features too for folks who actually need real time clocks and who want to use 1200 model accelerator boards. (Not sure why since without AGA its not like the extra speed and ram is worth 250 bux plus imo but im sure some nutters may disagree.)

It, a good full USB mouse dongle, your standard Gotek, the newest RGB2HDMI (if you can find a pi zero 1 or 2 anyhow..), and OS 3.2 is basically a complete super 500 all you need thats not overkill and stupid. (Sure I want an ECS Denise chip and an ACE2 for 2mb chip ram but thats around 400 bucks of nearly useless tat.)

its still gonna make your 500 into a Sexual Tyrannosaurus that can play Elite 2 real good.

Grab yourself a 3.x patched version of Filemaster, make sure LHA is installed, and 3.2 will do everything you want just about as opposed to all the nonsense 1.3 and to a lesser degree 3.1 have. Its even got built in adf support for your non auto boot needs.

I even bought a 3d printed case off of Ebay that I need to get around to painting.

Yes the thing is an external component. Which means I lose out on my GVP Hard Drive but oh well. Ought to sell it if its worth anything with or without the scsi2sd 5.2 I've got in it. And 8 megs 70ns RAM. The physical drive still works too.
Quoting this post for my own reference, since I was already about to order some Amiga hardware. I am still using a stock A500, with RAM that had been upgraded to 1MB, and an external Gotek (with DF1/DF0 selector switch) that I just added a year ago.

As I've been rehabbing the old family Amiga, I've come across lots of potential upgrades that I don't know much about.... Vampire this, Terrible Fire that, etc. So if this were to be explained to me like I'm 10 years old: Does this ACA500Plus render those other items unnecessary if I'm upgrading from a mostly stock A500? Will this allow me to play A500 games faster/better? Will these janky .adf cracks that give me a blank screen be more likely to run, or do I just need to find less-janky .adf cracks?

In any case thanks for the effortpost, my Amiga rabbithole hasn't run TOO deep yet but we'll see if that lasts!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we're having amigachat, I have an A2000 that has two hard drives in it. I'd like to be able to wipe them and reinstall the OS, but I have literally no clue where to begin. I am assuming the Amiga OS is stored on the hard drives and not in the ROM? How would I wipe them? And how would I reinstall the OS?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am assuming the Amiga OS is stored on the hard drives and not in the ROM?

Both, you can't mix and match Kickstart (ROM) and Workbench (HD/Floppy) versions. With the exception of 2.04/2.1 (the latter being a purely software upgrade) and I'm not sure about the new 3.1.4/3.2 versions of Workbench.

I've had some joy reinstalling using WinUAE but that was onto a CF/IDE thing for an A600, I don't know about proper HDs.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Since we're having amigachat, I have an A2000 that has two hard drives in it. I'd like to be able to wipe them and reinstall the OS, but I have literally no clue where to begin. I am assuming the Amiga OS is stored on the hard drives and not in the ROM? How would I wipe them? And how would I reinstall the OS?

Like the previous person said you need to have semi-matching ROM and software.

If you can get Workbench disks from somewhere, it would be really simple. Workbench has a pretty nice and easy to use install wizard. Below is a tutorial for WB3.1. I assume your A2000 has older roms (1.3 or 2.0) but at least 2.0 has a pretty good installer iirc.

https://www.lemonamiga.com/help/tutorial_1/7.php

You probably live on the other side of the globe (I'm in Finland) so mailing floppies would be a hassle. Otherwise I'd be happy to make and send some install disks for you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thank you for the offer, but yeah, I’m in the US.

Can a PC or Mac write Amiga boot disks? I have some older windows 98 era laptops with floppy drives and a Mac with a floppy and os 9.0 that maybe could do that if it’s possible

E: I totally forgot I have a gotek floppy emulator! Does the Amiga take a standard floppy cable? And are there images online somewhere?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

E: I totally forgot I have a gotek floppy emulator! Does the Amiga take a standard floppy cable?

It can certainly work, they say: https://github.com/keirf/flashfloppy/wiki/Host-Platforms#commodore-amiga

Definitely put FlashFloppy on your Gotek if you haven't already.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
If you can remove the drive you want to be the boot drive and hook it up to your PC, you can use WinUAE to install Workbench on that drive, then connect it back to the Amiga and be good to go. ClassicWB is a pre-installed* Workbench-plus-other-goodies package, and while I don't think it has support for pre-3.0 ROMs, it does have instructions for several ways to install the package on a real Amiga that could be adapted to plain ol' Workbench.

*You need a valid set of Workbench disks to install it, but they can be virtual disks, so you can set it up in your emulator, than transfer the contents of the virtual hard drive to the actual one.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Minidust posted:

Quoting this post for my own reference, since I was already about to order some Amiga hardware. I am still using a stock A500, with RAM that had been upgraded to 1MB, and an external Gotek (with DF1/DF0 selector switch) that I just added a year ago.

As I've been rehabbing the old family Amiga, I've come across lots of potential upgrades that I don't know much about.... Vampire this, Terrible Fire that, etc. So if this were to be explained to me like I'm 10 years old: Does this ACA500Plus render those other items unnecessary if I'm upgrading from a mostly stock A500? Will this allow me to play A500 games faster/better? Will these janky .adf cracks that give me a blank screen be more likely to run, or do I just need to find less-janky .adf cracks?

In any case thanks for the effortpost, my Amiga rabbithole hasn't run TOO deep yet but we'll see if that lasts!

In order of your questions:
By and large yes. The Aca500Plus more or less replaces those. Its not quite as fast but it does speeds that all your 68000 based games could ever need.

Again yes. And with the built in hard drive setup, whdload (and the pre set up whd downloads you can find with a very simple search...) means you don't have to disk swap at all or wait for loads! Said filez place has 3300+ ready to un lha (ONLY DO THIS IN WORKBENCH OS OF YOUR CHOICE NOT ON OTHER MACHINES) games of all sorts. Including 190 in pure NTSC if you don't want to be hassled or worried. Whdload itself has 3 more years of tweaks and more games/improvements to some titles but.. it'll do you well enough.

These broken cracks are probably just pal or ntsc versions many of which don't run at all on the other video format. (Some pal stuff will still have missing top and bottom parts of the image.) Also some don't like various Kickstarts or oses. Or need X Y or Z amounts and type of ram. The Aca500Plus with all its switching options effectively negates these annoyances.

Edit: a while back I was also covering this project of mine over at Amigalove but its a rather small low traffic board so I kind of fell off. I did a summary of things to get which I'm gonna repost here.

--------‐----------------Yes some of this is repeated info.------------------

But right now I want to take a quick look at my current upgrade bits and give em a 1-10 rating in Price, Ease of Use/Installation, and QoL to the machine.

Usb mouse dongle from Amigastore.eu : 9, 10, 9. Its pretty much awesome, reasonably priced, and makes life 100x better. If the circuit board came with a little cover and a stand so its not poking out it would be nearly perfect.

Rgb2Hdmi: 7, 7, 6. I get graphical interference from time to time that I don't know is due to the board, my settings, the firmware, or my soldering of 40 pins. It needs this that and the other but it does work. Just not super flawlessly and has lots of hidden costs like a menu button, micro SD, mini hdmi cable, soldering the pi zero pins. Add a point to price if you can get a 10 bucks or less Pi Zero with the pin connector already built in. (Update for this repost: apparently there have been board revisions that fix some of the minor irritations. If so add a point to QoL. Maybe 2 points if you have no good way to video out for your machine. There are a few other rgb to hdmi type options but this is one of the cheaper ones.)

Internal Gotek with lit lcd screen, 2 buttons, and 3d printed mount: 8, 8, 8. Not perfect but its a must have for pretty much any 500 owner in 2022. 3.5s are dying. Swapping disks is annoying. Its just a bit irksome fitting it in and getting it to stay put, especially with the 3d printed mount. Sometimes gives Write Errors or the LCD boots up with garbage (though it still works). No turbo mode its just og speed. No sound on mine hurts feeling stuff is working even when its drive light and the Amigas are active. And you more or less have to have the lcd plate flopping out of the drive hole to actually see anything. On the upside it is a great place to feed the mini HDMI cable through. Helped by my TV having its inputs on the right side anyhow.
(Edit update: with the Aca500Plus and Whdload one could arguably say you can even avoid these entirely and mostly be ok. They aren't too expensive at all though.)

Aca 500 Plus: 5, 8, 10. Its expensive. Its not 100% easy to set up especially given CF cards need to be carefully inserted to avoid bending all those poking out pins. Some stuff doesn't seem to auto save which can cause issues. Adding KS roms involves typing and the CLI. Its an exposed board that doesn't like to easily plug into the left side expansion port it now owns. But every 500 owner needs one. Its everything you want its everything you need. Hot swap one cf for easy file transfer! Pal/Ntsc switching. Keep different cfs for different Amiga HDs. Kick rom switching. Cpu from 7-42 mhz. Select only chip Ram. Use trapdoor as chip with Ecs Agnus. Has WB 3.1 on board to either use for initial hd install or just to boot from. 8 megs of Fast Ram. Action Replay built in. Multiple profiles to set your Amiga up as you need including pretending its not even there! 1200 Accelerator and other card connections and settings. Use external floppy as boot floppy option. Its not perfect but its very very great and you could grab this and a gotek and you are almost done in many cases! Just read the little manual it comes with and print out the page on Individual Computer's Wiki about what everything does. Trust me.

AmigaOS 3.2: 7, 8, 8. Do you have a pc with a cdrom drive? Do you want many things that both pretty up and improve Workbench built in? Are you willing to deal with installation, online registration for patches, and some issues with when you use 3.2 kick roms instead of 3.1? Then you should probably save up a few bucks for this and make your life simpler in the long run. Lots of things modern Gui Oses have had for decades are now standard in Amigaland. Or things that were in a bazillion add on programs that all wanted x y or Z in Libs or whatever the heck else. Its still not perfect but if you are basically coming from 1.3 like me? Yeah its good albeit still no MacOS 6, or 7. (9.22 and X10.4-6 are too modern machine to really be a fair comparison.) Unless you are an Amiga Vet with your WB set with all the fixins this gives us what we need mostly.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 22, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/nishikazuhiko/status/1539832901982130177

Huh.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Even Googin' most of the phrases and acronyms in that post I have absolutely no idea what it means (O.K. I know what the drive names mean), other than that someone is apparently making a new MSX computer?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It sounds like there's going to be another production run of the 1chip MSX3, which is a reimplementation of MSX on an Altera Cyclone FPGA, and Kay Nishi's gotten a promise from the head of D4 that anything you download from Project EGG (D4's line of old emulated games on systems like the MSX) will work on it.

Since it's an FPGA I can see them getting some other system cores on there but since it's a pretty old one (the 1chip MSX3 was introduced in 2006) I'd make the assumption that it's only going to be for MSX for now. As a side note, the Mister MSX core is based on the 1chip MSX3.

This is about as close to an MSX Mini as you're going to get, especially since it looks like they're most of the way to licensing proprietary sound addons etc.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Captain Rufus posted:

In order of your questions:
By and large yes. The Aca500Plus more or less replaces those. Its not quite as fast but it does speeds that all your 68000 based games could ever need.

Again yes. And with the built in hard drive setup, whdload (and the pre set up whd downloads you can find with a very simple search...) means you don't have to disk swap at all or wait for loads! Said filez place has 3300+ ready to un lha (ONLY DO THIS IN WORKBENCH OS OF YOUR CHOICE NOT ON OTHER MACHINES) games of all sorts. Including 190 in pure NTSC if you don't want to be hassled or worried. Whdload itself has 3 more years of tweaks and more games/improvements to some titles but.. it'll do you well enough.

These broken cracks are probably just pal or ntsc versions many of which don't run at all on the other video format. (Some pal stuff will still have missing top and bottom parts of the image.) Also some don't like various Kickstarts or oses. Or need X Y or Z amounts and type of ram. The Aca500Plus with all its switching options effectively negates these annoyances.

Edit: a while back I was also covering this project of mine over at Amigalove but its a rather small low traffic board so I kind of fell off. I did a summary of things to get which I'm gonna repost here.

--------‐----------------Yes some of this is repeated info.------------------

But right now I want to take a quick look at my current upgrade bits and give em a 1-10 rating in Price, Ease of Use/Installation, and QoL to the machine.

Usb mouse dongle from Amigastore.eu : 9, 10, 9. Its pretty much awesome, reasonably priced, and makes life 100x better. If the circuit board came with a little cover and a stand so its not poking out it would be nearly perfect.

Rgb2Hdmi: 7, 7, 6. I get graphical interference from time to time that I don't know is due to the board, my settings, the firmware, or my soldering of 40 pins. It needs this that and the other but it does work. Just not super flawlessly and has lots of hidden costs like a menu button, micro SD, mini hdmi cable, soldering the pi zero pins. Add a point to price if you can get a 10 bucks or less Pi Zero with the pin connector already built in. (Update for this repost: apparently there have been board revisions that fix some of the minor irritations. If so add a point to QoL. Maybe 2 points if you have no good way to video out for your machine. There are a few other rgb to hdmi type options but this is one of the cheaper ones.)

Internal Gotek with lit lcd screen, 2 buttons, and 3d printed mount: 8, 8, 8. Not perfect but its a must have for pretty much any 500 owner in 2022. 3.5s are dying. Swapping disks is annoying. Its just a bit irksome fitting it in and getting it to stay put, especially with the 3d printed mount. Sometimes gives Write Errors or the LCD boots up with garbage (though it still works). No turbo mode its just og speed. No sound on mine hurts feeling stuff is working even when its drive light and the Amigas are active. And you more or less have to have the lcd plate flopping out of the drive hole to actually see anything. On the upside it is a great place to feed the mini HDMI cable through. Helped by my TV having its inputs on the right side anyhow.
(Edit update: with the Aca500Plus and Whdload one could arguably say you can even avoid these entirely and mostly be ok. They aren't too expensive at all though.)

Aca 500 Plus: 5, 8, 10. Its expensive. Its not 100% easy to set up especially given CF cards need to be carefully inserted to avoid bending all those poking out pins. Some stuff doesn't seem to auto save which can cause issues. Adding KS roms involves typing and the CLI. Its an exposed board that doesn't like to easily plug into the left side expansion port it now owns. But every 500 owner needs one. Its everything you want its everything you need. Hot swap one cf for easy file transfer! Pal/Ntsc switching. Keep different cfs for different Amiga HDs. Kick rom switching. Cpu from 7-42 mhz. Select only chip Ram. Use trapdoor as chip with Ecs Agnus. Has WB 3.1 on board to either use for initial hd install or just to boot from. 8 megs of Fast Ram. Action Replay built in. Multiple profiles to set your Amiga up as you need including pretending its not even there! 1200 Accelerator and other card connections and settings. Use external floppy as boot floppy option. Its not perfect but its very very great and you could grab this and a gotek and you are almost done in many cases! Just read the little manual it comes with and print out the page on Individual Computer's Wiki about what everything does. Trust me.

AmigaOS 3.2: 7, 8, 8. Do you have a pc with a cdrom drive? Do you want many things that both pretty up and improve Workbench built in? Are you willing to deal with installation, online registration for patches, and some issues with when you use 3.2 kick roms instead of 3.1? Then you should probably save up a few bucks for this and make your life simpler in the long run. Lots of things modern Gui Oses have had for decades are now standard in Amigaland. Or things that were in a bazillion add on programs that all wanted x y or Z in Libs or whatever the heck else. Its still not perfect but if you are basically coming from 1.3 like me? Yeah its good albeit still no MacOS 6, or 7. (9.22 and X10.4-6 are too modern machine to really be a fair comparison.) Unless you are an Amiga Vet with your WB set with all the fixins this gives us what we need mostly.
Great post! I've been poking around on the Amiga reddit as well, and yeah the ACA500Plus is recommended pretty much across the board. One thing I'm still not clear on is how it relates to the ECS Agnus chip. I've seen recommendations to upgrade one's Agnus to an ECS Agnus (I snapped some internal pics and saw I have a Rev 5 board, so apparently that upgrade would apply to me). That one is beyond my skill level, but then I've also seen a claim that the ACA500Plus provides a solder-free solution to the ECS upgrade somehow?

Also wondering about my trapdoor. Is there a RAM expansion that pairs best with the ACA500Plus? Or does ACA500Plus render the whole thing moot? I'm totally down to spend a few additional bucks if the Amiga will benefit from it. I am not fully versed in all the different RAM types, but I believe what I have is the 512k "slow RAM"... I see there's a cell-style battery in there, which apparently is NOT the ticking time bomb that the "barrel-style" battery is supposed to be, so that's good at least. But I'll gladly upgrade either way. Pics of my own for reference:

What about power supplies? Stock A500 still good, or should I be looking for something else? I came across a forum post from what I think was an ACA500Plus developer, and they seemed to be rather dismissive of aftermarket PSUs, so I wanted to be careful before just ordering a new one.

Also, I did a double-take when I saw:

Captain Rufus posted:

Pal/Ntsc switching
Could you elaborate on this? I'm in the US, so throughout my childhood I just got used to playing games slightly too fast, with the bottom of the screen (usually with crucial HUD information!) cut off. Would this actually allow games to run in proper PAL resolution/speed on my U.S. Amiga, or is it referring to something else? If it's the former, I do have RGB out running through a Retrotink 5x, so I am pretty sure my display could handle any signal thrown at it, if such options really exist.

Thanks again, these Amiga effortposts are really appreciated. I will probably pick up that USB mouse adapter too (currently have a cart going at AmigaStore.eu)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
That trapdoor should be fine. Note my settings above for the Aca. It will use it as chip ram for your Whdload needs.

If you want to play pure disk stuff it may or may not work for that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_500#Trap-door_expansion_501
That could lead you to some knowledge for your ram needs. Note some later revision 500 motherboards have room to solder 512k on the board for pure 1 meg Chip but you don't need it imo.

However if money is burning a hole in your pocket and or you have an older Fat Agnus there is a solution for your I WANT MORE CHIP RAM needs.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...zdJXEow-6512V09

It's silly and not really necessary but if you want to take the 500 as far as it can go while still being a 500 there you go.

For video the answer is maybe? I'm using an NTSC machine with currently all NTSC chips. Between it and how I boot with the Aca and Amiga OS 3.2 I'm generally doing fine now. Some stuff still has the odd missing lines even with my RGB2HDMI but more or less good to go.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the printable enclosure for the greaseweazle is really neat!
https://www.printables.com/model/83539-greaseweazle-v4-f1-plus-mini-case-with-space-for-3

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Minidust posted:

What about power supplies? Stock A500 still good, or should I be looking for something else? I came across a forum post from what I think was an ACA500Plus developer, and they seemed to be rather dismissive of aftermarket PSUs, so I wanted to be careful before just ordering a new one.

I would definitely invest in a new aftermarket PSU. The one that came with my A1200 could not run it and the 030 accelerator I had. Depending on a 30+ year old PSU to power up a fairly valuable computer these days is insane. And sadly Commodore did their best to make most Amiga PSUs non repairable.

I recommend the Amiga PSUs sold by C64 PSU: https://www.c64psu.com

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dang that's super cool. I bought an old Shuttle case to do mine, but I can't decide on what 5.25" drive to leave inside.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

You Am I posted:

I would definitely invest in a new aftermarket PSU. The one that came with my A1200 could not run it and the 030 accelerator I had. Depending on a 30+ year old PSU to power up a fairly valuable computer these days is insane. And sadly Commodore did their best to make most Amiga PSUs non repairable.

I recommend the Amiga PSUs sold by C64 PSU: https://www.c64psu.com
ooh nice, and I see their "Boost" PSU even mentions the ACA. The product description alludes to ripple reduction and voltage attenuation around 5V... that terminology is way over my head but I recognized it from an ACA developer post that I saw (about suitable PSUs), so it must be good!!

Captain Rufus posted:

That trapdoor should be fine. Note my settings above for the Aca. It will use it as chip ram for your Whdload needs.

If you want to play pure disk stuff it may or may not work for that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_500#Trap-door_expansion_501
That could lead you to some knowledge for your ram needs. Note some later revision 500 motherboards have room to solder 512k on the board for pure 1 meg Chip but you don't need it imo.

However if money is burning a hole in your pocket and or you have an older Fat Agnus there is a solution for your I WANT MORE CHIP RAM needs.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...zdJXEow-6512V09

It's silly and not really necessary but if you want to take the 500 as far as it can go while still being a 500 there you go.

For video the answer is maybe? I'm using an NTSC machine with currently all NTSC chips. Between it and how I boot with the Aca and Amiga OS 3.2 I'm generally doing fine now. Some stuff still has the odd missing lines even with my RGB2HDMI but more or less good to go.
ahaa thanks again. Got my eye on that ACE2b now. Looks like it's a solder-free solution that takes care of the ECS Agnus and PAL/NTSC stuff in one shot? I did manage to pull out my Even CIA chip when I installed the selector swtich for the Gotek, so if if the install isn't more complicated than that I should be golden!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I won an auction for an MSX2 off Yahoo Japan. It's 100V. Any suggestions for a step-up converter to 120V?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just to be clear, you need to step down from 120v to 100v, correct?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Yeah I had it backwards. Want to run 100v MSX2 on 120v electricity.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

I won an auction for an MSX2 off Yahoo Japan. It's 100V. Any suggestions for a step-up converter to 120V?

I use the VCT VT-500J if you can find it. It's not especially good but it has worked okay for me for a couple years now. Keep in mind that only one of the outputs on the front is 100V, the other one is switched 120V.

If your MSX2 has a pluggable adapter that you can find a 120V replacement for I would just do that.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm getting a SANYO PHC-23 which has a hardwired plug. I think I'm gonna end up building my own RGB SCART cable so that should be a fun exercise.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Minidust posted:

ahaa thanks again. Got my eye on that ACE2b now. Looks like it's a solder-free solution that takes care of the ECS Agnus and PAL/NTSC stuff in one shot? I did manage to pull out my Even CIA chip when I installed the selector swtich for the Gotek, so if if the install isn't more complicated than that I should be golden!
Quoting myself because it's all starting to CLICK. My current Agnus chip is an 8370, aka OCS Agnus. PAL/NTSC switching is off the table unless I have an ECS Agnus. For that, I can either replace my 8370 chip with an 8372A, OR I can go buck wild and get that ACE2b, which is is like getting an ECS Agnus with a chimpRAM extender built in. And these chips are all PLCC-based, so a solder-averse shlub like me can swap 'em out no problem!

The older methods of expanding chipRAM are where soldering would've been an issue. So the ACE2b gives me an easy path to 2MB chipRAM, if that's what I'm after.

I will get an ACA500plus for sure; the only question now is whether to get a vanilla 8372A or go full :retrogames: with an ACE2b.

Leaning toward the splurge, but I suppose I should at least ask: what can I do with 2mb chipRAM?? :greenangel:

I don't intend to use Deluxe Paint or productivity software. But if it improves gaming (hacks/homebrew maybe?) or just smoothes up the whole experience, I'm down. Like would I be launching more stuff from Workbench vs booting from floppies/images, if I got WHDload all set up? I could imagine MORE RAM=BETTER if that''s the case. Apparently Amiga OS 3.2 requires it... is Amiga OS something I should care about??

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
http://c64os.com/

Nifty

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Lol, Adrian’s digital basement guy is gonna flip if he hasn’t already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Decided to go full-on indulgent with the Amiga, so I've got an ACA500plus and ACE2b on the way. This thing's gonna be a monster!
Thanks for the tips along the way, fellow Retrogoons! :D

And I came across a cool community thread that documents games benefitting from extra RAM, chip or otherwise. It's a bigger list than I thought, which helped push me in the ACE2 direction: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=65574

Now I think the only potential shortcoming in my setup is the handling of multi-disk games. Gotek is convenient and all, but I want to retain that early-90s luxury feeling of no disk swaps. Do people just get a second Gotek for that (no reason that shouldn't work as far as I can tell) or is there a more elegant solution? I'm not sure how comprehensive WHDLoad coverage is... does it perhaps address enough of the multi-disk games for it not to be an issue? Should I set up a Greaseweazel and and curate a "Disk 1" collection for my stock internal drive?? All of this sounds like overkill, but I mean, look at what thread we're in.