Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

IANAL as well, but it's a civil case. Doesn't that mean that he can be compelled to testify, unlike in a criminal case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
THE RULE does not apply to parties. In civil cases you can be compelled to testify. He can still take advantage of 5th Amendment protection against criminal self incrimination on individual questions.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 29, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

This was posted in another thread. So credit to whoever did so.

10/10 meltdown.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1552808949535178752

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teen witch posted:

Iirc the plaintiff’s counsel is doing this pro bono

Its not pro bono, but they front the money to the clients for the trial expenses. The only way they get paid is if they win the suit, they get a cut.
So the plaintiffs are going to go bankrupt trying to fight the case at first, but the lawyers do eventually get paid.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Okay so non-lawyer galaxy brain spitballing time, how does this work: if you get compelled to testify in a civil case, and you just go up there and take the 5th in response to every question, can the court do anything about that or are they supposed to respect that? If Jones takes the 5th in response to a question where the answer couldn't possibly implicate him in an actual crime, is that perjury? Or do they just accept it because they can't prove he didn't commit a crime?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Its not pro bono, but they front the money to the clients for the trial expenses. The only way they get paid is if they win the suit, they get a cut.
So the plaintiffs are going to go bankrupt trying to fight the case at first, but the lawyers do eventually get paid.

I'm sure Mark said on Knowledge Fight that the penalties that Alex has had to pay for InfoWars loving around have already covered all of the legal expenses and then some, too

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Pirate Radar posted:

Okay so non-lawyer galaxy brain spitballing time, how does this work: if you get compelled to testify in a civil case, and you just go up there and take the 5th in response to every question, can the court do anything about that or are they supposed to respect that? If Jones takes the 5th in response to a question where the answer couldn't possibly implicate him in an actual crime, is that perjury? Or do they just accept it because they can't prove he didn't commit a crime?

I don't know the rules well enough to explain it but I think you're on the right track. The 5th isn't just a magic "I don't have to answer anything I don't want to" button. There is more to it. I wish I could give any details whatsoever but I'm just going off what I remember from episodes of the Opening Arguments podcast I had on while doing something else.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The Fifth is an incredibly broad protection because it protects you from confessing to details of crimes both unknown and known. Courts are really limited as to how far they can pry into the declaration because otherwise the protection would be ornamental.

That said, you're telling the jury "I am not answering your question because it would implicate me in a crime." It's not exactly endearing to a fact finder. In criminal trials you get a jury instruction that says "don't hold the dude taking his fifth amendment rights against him" but that is not true in a civil case.

So short answer: you can, but you're shooting yourself in the dick.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

10/10 meltdown.

Is he trying to do an impression of the announcer guy from Rome.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

If I were Jones' attorney I'd be preparing him to bend over and grab his ankles. The best thing he could do is be polite, circumspect, and soft spoken when under examination. Take the blame "for trusting people the wrong people" and emphasize at every opportunity that your business employees good people that shouldn't suffer for your mistakes.

It probably wouldn't work, mind you, but bombast isn't gonna lead to a good end.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If I were Jones' attorney I'd be preparing him to bend over and grab his ankles. The best thing he could do is be polite, circumspect, and soft spoken when under examination. Take the blame "for trusting people the wrong people" and emphasize at every opportunity that your business employees good people that shouldn't suffer for your mistakes.

It probably wouldn't work, mind you, but bombast isn't gonna lead to a good end.

If he tries that, what's his plan for when Mark stares him dead in the eyes and plays the clip from the deposition where he shouted that the jury needs to find out the truth behind Sandy Hook.

I'm assuming Mark has that basically hot keyed, because c'mon.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Fifth is an incredibly broad protection because it protects you from confessing to details of crimes both unknown and known. Courts are really limited as to how far they can pry into the declaration because otherwise the protection would be ornamental.

That said, you're telling the jury "I am not answering your question because it would implicate me in a crime." It's not exactly endearing to a fact finder. In criminal trials you get a jury instruction that says "don't hold the dude taking his fifth amendment rights against him" but that is not true in a civil case.

So short answer: you can, but you're shooting yourself in the dick.
right?
"in this case about whether or not you criminally said that no children had died at sandy hook did you say that no children died at sandy hook?"
"i plead the fifth"
*fifteen second trial fart*
"ROLLING OBJECTION!"

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

If Alex Jones was the sort of man who was capable of doing this, even if every single lawyer yelled at him to do it, this trial would have never happened, because the incidents that caused it would have never happened.

Alex is hopefully now akin to the apocryphal story of Empedocles proving he's a god by jumping into the volcano Etna.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Still can't wrap my brain around how much money infowars makes. No wonder people are ok with ditching any sense of morality they might of had.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 29, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're so right

https://youtu.be/xH0kO5qcPf8

The guild of millers uses only the finest grains. True Roman bread for true Romans.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Still can't wrap my brain around how much money infowars makes. No wonder people are ok with ditching any sense of morality they might of had.

You really think those frog protein dick pills they sell actually cost 135 dollars a bottle to make?

When you're selling snake oil to idiots you don't even have to really sell them anything.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grand Fromage posted:

Since The RULE!!! says witnesses can't be in the room while others are testifying, and Alex was there, I presume that means Alex will not be taking the stand at any point

Answered already, but parties to the case are not bound by the witness exclusion rule.

Also it is funny that rule is just called the rule in every American jurisdiction I know of.

E: it also does not apply to expert witnesses.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 29, 2022

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

ILL Machina posted:

You're so right

https://youtu.be/xH0kO5qcPf8

The guild of millers uses only the finest grains. True Roman bread for true Romans.

Grain force plus

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

10/10 meltdown.

This is just run-of-the-mill fake outrage. Boring as poo poo really.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

The whole hand gesture thing whilst orating was highly formalised in Rome.

If you studied rhetoric you were taught the correct gestures and when to use them in a precise way with defined meanings and customary usage etc.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

10/10 meltdown.

This is all I can hear and see watching this:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

0konner posted:

Grain force plus

:hmmyes: Each bucket's a bargain at only twenty denarii!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some kind goons suggested Knowledge Fight podcast for a summary of what's going on, and I'm not sure if anyone already posted it but Opening Arguments has a brand new AJ trial episode as well. Check out the URL lol.

https://openargs.com/oa617-alex-jones-lawyers-have-no-fcking-idea-what-theyre-doing/

The host is an actual lawyer, if someone isn't familiar.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nelson Mandingo posted:

10/10 meltdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7EtOYAIXto

TW edit:hell fuckin yeah ministry rules

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 29, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
same kinda aesthetic too. you know it's not coincidence that steven spielberg filmed that scene like the nazi rally from indiana jones and the last crusade. like really intense, convulsive anger combined with futurism and a "life is for living" philosophy to reclaim one's destiny as a RACE... the human race in this case

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Just watched the Owen Troyer bit. What a waste of 90 minutes and I doubt the jury found that tone particularly useful either.

His refusal to outright say that he is sorry for adding to the conspiracy is infuriating and would have cost him nothing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

When do we go live today?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

10/10 meltdown.

its like hes talking directly to me, this is what i rant about 24/7 too

no you fat fool, humanity wont do any of these things. :) but we can build a better race to do it. :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Just watched the Owen Troyer bit. What a waste of 90 minutes and I doubt the jury found that tone particularly useful either.

His refusal to outright say that he is sorry for adding to the conspiracy is infuriating and would have cost him nothing.

He doesn't believe he added to it is the thing. He really thinks in his mind he did nothing wrong. I don't think the jury questions will be as brutal for him as they were for Darla, but I'm still interested to see.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mr. Nice! posted:

He doesn't believe he added to it is the thing. He really thinks in his mind he did nothing wrong. I don't think the jury questions will be as brutal for him as they were for Darla, but I'm still interested to see.

I'm not sure Owen thinks much of anything.

Also, 11 eastern for the start right?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Should be any minute now

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://youtu.be/YEXC_o6g3uk
Looks like its starting

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm not sure Owen thinks much of anything.

Also, 11 eastern for the start right?

nope now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEXC_o6g3uk

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
No Alex today?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
"Do you enjoy your job?"

*pause*

"I'm happy with what I'm doing"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

So they are just giving him a Do Over on the whole trial? I thought it was done and this was to figure out how far to push his poo poo in. That should take about an hour and is for the judge. Jury goes away at that point.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
They rehearsed this so much lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol we got a brief vignette on the firing of Rob Dew.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Oh man, Owen saying that Infowars covered Epstein for "decades" before anyone cared is probably the favorite Alex Jones Was Right lie people trot out. Alex didn't care about Epstein until well after he was arrested the first time, but because he endlessly talked about Hollywood/Washington Sex Clubs he moved the goalposts and claimed he was talking about Epstein and the Lolita Express forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

So they are just giving him a Do Over on the whole trial? I thought it was done and this was to figure out how far to push his poo poo in. That should take about an hour and is for the judge. Jury goes away at that point.

No, he isn't getting a do over. They're establishing how much damages Jones owes the family. The defense is trying to humanize themselves to minimize the damages as much as possible.

The plaintiffs are allowing the defense to go on like this during friendly cross because it opens the door for a lot of questions on re-direct such as putting the entire Megyn Kelly video in front of the jury.