Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Speaking of, I'm not exactly sure which stupidity he's trying to be edgy with, but it's stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

NDP posted:

It's a stupid argument to get worried about since taken to its logical extreme, it's applicable to everywhere on earth except for eastern Africa. In fact, Native Americans have a stronger claim to North and South America than "native" Europeans have to Europe since the latter group replaced the Neanderthals who were there before them.

Guavanaut posted:

I always thought the land bridge was the anti-colonialist take because walking there is different to turning up in boats and genociding everyone.

But I guess turning up in boats and not genociding everyone is also very different to turning up in boats and genociding everyone.

Convergent evolution of different groups of hominins is usually the turbo-racist take.
It doesn't make Marty right, but I think this thread is general is less familiar with the stupid rear end racist claims people have made to justify colonialism. During the 2010s there was a brief spike in popularity of a claim that was a combination of the land bridge and Solutrean hypothesis. Specifically white supremecists claimed both happened but the earlier Solutrean migration across pack ice from Europe represents the white "original" owners of America who were then killed off by the people crossing the land bridge. This was what the dumb rear end poo poo claiming Kennweick Man was white were a part of.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Hihohe posted:

This seems like an exact copy of that other comic.

The one where the Native American says "Second"

I had the same thought, it's this one by Matt Bors.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Raised By Birds posted:

Marty Two Bulls

Native Americans are literally a different species? I wonder why we’re able to interbreed?

Where was our last common point of genetic ancestry? Is there even one at all? Or are we two entirely different forms of life altogether? Two biospheres on one planet?

The questions raised here are terrifying in their implications.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Angepain posted:

I had the same thought, it's this one by Matt Bors.

Holy poo poo, there is no way Rall didnt just say gently caress it and just copy this comic, with more words and worse art.

Rall is the biggest loving hack

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Found a real doozy of a politoon from someone that I don't recall ever seeing in these threads (Bob Moran from the UK):

He got fired from The Telegraph for being too offensive, which is uh, quite the accomplishment.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zero_Grade posted:

Found a real doozy of a politoon from someone that I don't recall ever seeing in these threads (Bob Moran from the UK):

He got fired from The Telegraph for being too offensive, which is uh, quite the accomplishment.

Bob was posted itt before he got fired; since then he's been producing increasingly deranged and depressingly well-made material, like an artistic Dees.

Ah, right, he's producing material for these shmucks (note there's an unrelated entity by the same name run by Omidyar):
https://www.thedemocracyfund.ca/

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 29, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Zero_Grade posted:

:magical:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Zero_Grade posted:

No EMF waves? At all? Wow that would be a big shame, I'll miss the loving sun

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zero_Grade posted:

Ok, so we have lots of children, but still manage to shrink the cities by being ok with risk so not many of them make it to adulthood, we have no turbines but control CO2 naturally by having no electricity (helps clear the cities and keep the population down while keeping the birth rate high), and we execute all the academics (helps keep technology low), but there's still printed books and mechanical tractors? 4/10 killing fields Pol Bob.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The fact that one of those skeletons is clearly supposed to be Bill Gates may be the line between vaguely threatening and call the police.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zero_Grade posted:

That's... uh... okay, I'll just ask it, when he says "globalist scumbags", does he just mean "kill all non-white, non-christian, non-straight people"? I mean, I'm assuming that first part just from the whole "being let go from The Telegraph" bit, but still.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
"Globalist" is just "the Jews", though specifically "International Jewry".

He means kill the Jews.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Antigravitas posted:

"Globalist" is just "the Jews", though specifically "International Jewry".

He means kill the jews.

Pretty sure the Bill Gates skeleton indicates that educated elites and all other "New People" should be exterminated.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Great Replacement

Lol I had that shirt on the right as a kid. It was one of my favorites.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

IIRC, Marty’s religion posits this belief as well, so it gets into that conflict. I don’t know if anyone is making the “well they aren’t technically native :smug:” argument in modern times, but regardless of where you think the North American natives came from you can still debunk that argument and hold that, no, there in fact was no justification for the European’s genocide of the native populations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Discendo Vox posted:

Ah, right, he's producing material for these shmucks (note there's an unrelated entity by the same name run by Omidyar):
https://www.thedemocracyfund.ca/

Absolutely would recommend anyone looking for just terrible awful cartoons to look through the democracy fund gallery and Bob's website, just absolute garbage opinions

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cloud Potato posted:

Saw this on Twitter, thought the thread would enjoy it:

https://twitter.com/PlaneyBoys/status/1552735873430700032

https://twitter.com/MaleVTuber/status/1552906958218436608?t=cRPKpbsV24Y6TuM34wR1nw&s=19

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of, I'm not exactly sure which stupidity he's trying to be edgy with, but it's stupid

I mean, it's probably a "Long Covid is bullshit" take, but honestly it just feels like a standard Wally plot.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Stultus Maximus posted:

Pretty sure the Bill Gates skeleton indicates that educated elites and all other "New People" should be exterminated.

A lot of Covid deniers think Bill Gates is a Jew, especially the kind of people who believe in The Great Reset. It's very popular in Qanon circles, where you also find other Greatest Hits of Antisemitism, like Blood Libel. You can tell the author is in that milieu.

I don't want to hand it to the Torygraph, but yeah, probably a good idea to not have that person on…

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

IIRC, Marty’s religion posits this belief as well, so it gets into that conflict. I don’t know if anyone is making the “well they aren’t technically native :smug:” argument in modern times, but regardless of where you think the North American natives came from you can still debunk that argument and hold that, no, there in fact was no justification for the European’s genocide of the native populations.
It isn't huge but the University of California is still publishing guys claiming Europeans reached the Americas first. It's a weird crank thing but a weird crank thing that is going to be more important to someone directly targeted by it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Neito posted:

I mean, it's probably a "Long Covid is bullshit" take, but honestly it just feels like a standard Wally plot.

Yeah, on the one hand, it feels like Scott Adams is making fun of people with long-term effects from Covid-19, on the other hand, this is exactly something he would have had Wally say back before the brainworms had fully set in. Wally is the same person who he had taking his vacarion in 15 minute increments, or an "in-cubical sabbatical" that had been going on 3 months before anyone noticed. That being said, this is Scott Adams, so I'll just assume it's the first thing and just say "gently caress you Scott Adams, I hope you suffer from long covid".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The petulant children who hate being told what to do are very dismissive of Long Covid as it hurts their inane “It’s just a flu/cold” rhetoric.

Which is not surprising, as chronic illness/disability is often chided by the bootstrap crowd as being embellished or outright faked to avoid work. Unless you are visibly missing limbs or in an iron lung you just need to suck it up and put your nose to the grindstone.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neito posted:

The use “privilege “ and “reparations “ makes me wary.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

To be fair it doesn't have a great track record.

As far as fringe beliefs go, I'd say that "ice age humans didn't cross the Bering land bridge" is pretty harmless.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It doesn't make Marty right, but I think this thread is general is less familiar with the stupid rear end racist claims people have made to justify colonialism. During the 2010s there was a brief spike in popularity of a claim that was a combination of the land bridge and Solutrean hypothesis. Specifically white supremecists claimed both happened but the earlier Solutrean migration across pack ice from Europe represents the white "original" owners of America who were then killed off by the people crossing the land bridge. This was what the dumb rear end poo poo claiming Kennweick Man was white were a part of.

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah, the 'humans didn't walk through Beringia' part is actually something I believe most archaeologists back these days: the best guess is instead people came down along the west coast much earlier than they'd previously thought (in boats, likely), while the glaciation was still going full steam - especially since Beringia and the so-called 'ice-free corridor' would've been pretty desolate and unappealing places to travel. The coast in question is a bit hard to search because (since there was still a lot more water locked up in ice back then) it's now under hundreds of feet of water :v:
As to the 'we've always been here thing,' like it's been said, even without potential religious beliefs getting into it (which they can and do) it's also a profoundly unfortunate but deeply-understandable backlash against a long, long, long history of settler society - anthropological and otherwise - either maliciously, ignorantly, blithely, or all-of-the-above doing everything it can to delegitimize indigenous claims to sovereignty and land rights, quite frequently while insisting it's just good science. Stuff like the growing pile of evidence showing the continually-increasing antiquity of human presence in the Americas certainly helps lend fuel to the fire, because it's both (1) proof that they've got good cause to consider themselves native inhabitants and (2) proof that American anthropology in general has dragged its feet on accepting evidence of that.
The lousy outcome is (again, as others have said) that advancing that different groups of humans originated from wholly different sources is nothing but a complete freight train to shittyville, no matter what other cause you think you're aiming for when you say it. For very, very obvious reasons.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 29, 2022

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

oobey posted:

Native Americans are literally a different species? I wonder why we’re able to interbreed?

Where was our last common point of genetic ancestry? Is there even one at all? Or are we two entirely different forms of life altogether? Two biospheres on one planet?

The questions raised here are terrifying in their implications.

It’s silly, but it’s partially a sovereignty claim and a way to challenge mistreatment and subordinate status by the US—it’s based on traditional religious ideas among first-nations people that they were created from and have always belonged to their traditional lands. Contrast that with a US policy perspective that has seen First Nations people as not really deserving control of their own land and not really part of America, or as pests to be managed by forced relocation and extermination because the US needs their land.

I find it hard to get too angry about. Treat like you would the story of Yakub: not literally true, but expressing essential moral truth that should be taken seriously.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

I find it hard to get too angry about. Treat like you would the story of Yakub: not literally true, but expressing essential moral truth that should be taken seriously.

A theology that states that native americans, asian and other non-white and non-black ethnic groups are a byproduct made by an evil scientist does not express any moral truths.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

A theology that states that native americans, asian and other non-white and non-black ethnic groups are a byproduct made by an evil scientist does not express any moral truths.

It asserts that black people aren’t inferior to white people, in a way that engages the same bad logic as scientific racism, albeit with self-conscious absurdity.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

It asserts that black people aren’t inferior to white people, in a way that engages the same bad logic as scientific racism, albeit with self-conscious absurdity.

It asserts that every non-white ethnic group are inferior to black people.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Ever since the early Dilbert strips, the Pointy-Haired Boss has consistently been a greedy, unprincipled, stupid corporate rear end in a top hat executive who would throw any employee under a bus for any reason, or for no reason at all. The PHB is too bad at lying to conceal how heartless he is, and he usually doesn't bother to try. He's never been shown to have any redeeming qualities. In Adams' own words from one of his books, the PHB "wasn't born mean and unscrupulous; he's worked hard to become that way."

Lately, Dilbert strips seem to be encouraging the reader to agree or sympathize with the PHB. It speaks to Adams' deteriorating mindset.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Huh? Kellies nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Kellies nomination: Worst "The One Joke" about trans people

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zero_Grade posted:

He buried the Telegraph right in this picture. Of course it's offensive (to them).

As opposed to the rest of it, which is offensive (to everybody else).

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Keir Starmer’s picket line ban – The leader of the opposition has barred Labour frontbenchers from formally supporting strikers on picket lines"

Telegraph:

I won’t impose a windfall tax despite record profits for energy firms, says Liz Truss

Independent:

Times:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Victar posted:

Ever since the early Dilbert strips, the Pointy-Haired Boss has consistently been a greedy, unprincipled, stupid corporate rear end in a top hat executive who would throw any employee under a bus for any reason, or for no reason at all. The PHB is too bad at lying to conceal how heartless he is, and he usually doesn't bother to try. He's never been shown to have any redeeming qualities. In Adams' own words from one of his books, the PHB "wasn't born mean and unscrupulous; he's worked hard to become that way."

Lately, Dilbert strips seem to be encouraging the reader to agree or sympathize with the PHB. It speaks to Adams' deteriorating mindset.
As a lot of people have noted, he has basically transitioned from the office grunt to the pointy-haired boss. Now he is the wealthy idiot who believes every syllable of nonsense that drips from his mouth is sacred wisdom.

It would be very interesting to ask the Scott of 1982 and the Scott of 2022 for their opinions on organized labor.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pants Donkey posted:

It would be very interesting to ask the Scott of 1982 and the Scott of 2022 for their opinions on organized labor.
Wasn't Dilbert panned from the start for not blaming corporations \ capitalism, and promoting "smart people should be in charge, it's so simple" over any systemic changes \ organized labor?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Xander77 posted:

Wasn't Dilbert panned from the start for not blaming corporations \ capitalism, and promoting "smart people should be in charge, it's so simple" over any systemic changes \ organized labor?

The core conceit of Dilbert from the start has been that there's a few elites and a bunch of useless eaters, yes. He never used that phrase exactly, but he clearly thinks that anyone other than him and a handful of others are little more than philosophical zombies; beings of pure instinct that have cobbled together a veneer of sapience.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zero_Grade posted:

Get a brain Moran

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Neito posted:

The core conceit of Dilbert from the start has been that there's a few elites and a bunch of useless eaters, yes. He never used that phrase exactly, but he clearly thinks that anyone other than him and a handful of others are little more than philosophical zombies; beings of pure instinct that have cobbled together a veneer of sapience.

Considering he used (and maybe still does?) the phrase "cow-orkers" to describe anyone other than his "intellectually superior" (because they read Dilbert) readers, he may have just as well used the phrase "useless eaters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Considering he used (and maybe still does?) the phrase "cow-orkers" to describe anyone other than his "intellectually superior" (because they read Dilbert) readers, he may have just as well used the phrase "useless eaters".

cow-workers were just your moronic co-workers. In-duh-viduals were the morons who weren't smart enough to buy dilbert products.